YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Neck/sinus connection
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

tourist
Posted 2007-04-29 11:10 AM (#84554)
Subject: Neck/sinus connection

Expert Yogi

Can one of the anatomists or other brilliant folk explain why my neck gets so tight when my sinuses clog up during allergy season? I can't quite figure out if it is a chicken/egg scenario in the sense that if I keep my neck soft and relaxed, my sinuses wouldn't clog up or if I could keep them clear, my neck would feel better....
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-29 11:35 AM (#84560 - in reply to #84554)
Subject: RE: Neck/sinus connection

tourist - 2007-04-29 11:10 AM

Can one of the anatomists or other brilliant folk explain why my neck gets so tight when my sinuses clog up during allergy season? I can't quite figure out if it is a chicken/egg scenario in the sense that if I keep my neck soft and relaxed, my sinuses wouldn't clog up or if I could keep them clear, my neck would feel better....

This is because you have only limited energy. When that energy is working on the sinuses, it is not avaiable to neck muscles. When sinuses are clear, such as in Hot Summer, then the energy flows to your neck which is already not extremely flexible, and that energy keeps is comfotable.

dmbones
Posted 2007-05-01 11:16 AM (#84741 - in reply to #84554)

tourist - 2007-04-29 8:10 AM

Hi Glenda,

Some of the neck tightness may be the result of your inability during sinus time to breath through your nostrils. Research from Scandinavia reveals that we have paranasal sinuses in each nostril that emit ntiric oxide (NO). NO acts as a smooth muscle relaxant as well as a sterilizer of the respiratory system, killing viruses and bacteria on contact. As a smooth mucscle relaxant, NO opens the alveolar tissue in the lungs allowing a greater amount of O2 to enter blood stream than would be possible otherwise. Once in the blood stream, NO relaxes the smooth muscles that surround blood vessels allowing a greater amount of blood/O2 to enter each cell than would be possible otherwise. This relaxing of blood vessels fosters muscle repair and is the physiological delivery of the 'energy'of which Neel speaks. Inability to breathe though the nostrils during sinus congestion will decrease NO distribution and result in areas of muscular tension to chronically tight areas.

Michael
tourist
Posted 2007-05-01 7:42 PM (#84808 - in reply to #84741)

Expert Yogi

Thanks both of you. Actually, dmbones, that does make some sense, as I possibly do mouth breath while sleeping (although I don't have the sense that is happening) and it is early morning when I wake up with a tight neck and sinus headache. OTOH, I actually do not get any congestion in the sense of a stuffed up nose. It is one of those little paradoxes. My nose runs and runs then eventually stops and I am lulled (over and over again - I can't believe how regularly my body can fool me!) into believing I will soon be feeling better. Then - wham! Everything backs up, my head starts to pound, neck muscles rigidify (oh - that is a word - spell check says so!) and if I let it go, my teeth start to feel like they are going to fall out of my head... If I neti regularly it is better, but I hate doing it and so today I had a bad, bad headache.... It is perhaps a matter of what I hate more, I guess
dmbones
Posted 2007-05-02 10:02 AM (#84890 - in reply to #84808)

tourist - 2007-05-01 4:42 PM
Actually, dmbones, that does make some sense, as I possibly do mouth breath while sleeping (although I don't have the sense that is happening) and it is early morning when I wake up with a tight neck and sinus headache.

Hi Glenda,

Progress with nasal breathing at night can be made by attention to keeping the tip of the tongue against the back of the top teeth. Here in Portland, and I expect in BC as well, Walt Whitman is roaring in full speed. Most of the allergy stuff is from the trees now, with grasses still a month or so away. I've got that clear runny nose going lately as well. It's a small price for living in a temperate rain forest, imho.

Michael
tourist
Posted 2007-05-02 10:43 AM (#84906 - in reply to #84890)

Expert Yogi

Absolutely! Happily, it rained last night and, combined with a class that had some good twists in it, I am headache free this morning
sjde
Posted 2009-03-12 1:29 AM (#114485 - in reply to #84554)

I don't understand it but my chronic neck problems disappeared 1 1/2 yrs ago when I had sinus surgery. I do not have allergies but I had a cyst removed that was causing blockage and preventing drainage.

Sue
ilchileesedona
Posted 2014-09-08 10:36 PM (#211657 - in reply to #84554)
Subject: Re: Neck/sinus connection

Veteran

Well I think the doctor can give you a better explanation on that.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)