YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Understanding the BhagavadGita
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

strazin
Posted 2007-04-26 12:51 AM (#84222)
Subject: Understanding the BhagavadGita

I recently read the Gita (or tried reading it), and I have made it my new goal in life to one day understand it. Since I could not understand the Gita simply be reading it, I am trying to follow its advice to first gain control over my mind through meditation, and attain the understanding that way.

However, I am very uncertain about how to approach the process of meditation. The Gita inspired me to begin reading other books about meditation, but there are so many different approaches. I am lost in the confusion. There is Kundalini, there is the breath awareness, there is the pranayama and asanas. It seems as though Kundalini meditation is most consistent with what the Gita reccomends (In one chapter, if I remember correctly, the Gita explains to let the breath flow to the eyebrow center, while keeping the mind focused on the heart.) But I'm really not sure. I'm also not sure how to guage my progress, or how to even define progress. I have been practicing some breath awareness/focusing meditation exercises for several months now, and I haven't noticed any significant changes.

I was wondering if somebody could provide me with some advice about what path I should follow or at least point me in the right direction. I am twenty years old, and I am a student in college in Pittsburgh, PA. I can't seem to find a source of instruction or advice. Everyone I ask either discourages me or does not understand me. My parents told me that I was too young to be worried about such spiritual pursuits, that I should be focused on my studies and getting a job. My friends and peers are off chasing girls or chasing money. And my academic advisor just gives me a funny look and laughs whenever I ask for non-academic advice. I even went to my school's psychological services to ask a psychologist for advice for a life direction, but he was pretty useless. There is also a yoga instructor on campus, but his classes are mainly focused on the asanas. I tried asking him a question about my goals with meditation, but I am not satisfied with the quality of his answers or explanations.

So it seems like I am all alone here in my quest for a spiritual path. I am looking and looking but not finding. However, the people on this forum seem very helpful and knowledgable. I'm glad that I found you guys. Perhaps there is someone out there who can offer me some advice. What should I do?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-26 9:27 AM (#84248 - in reply to #84222)
Subject: RE: Understanding the BhagavadGita

Starzin: What are you talking about? Pittsburgh. That is a fantastic place. You can reach me by bus for only few dollars over the weekend. I am in Vienna, VA. If you have a car, it is only 5 hour drive.

Now, coming to point:

Q1: Where in Bhagavadgita it advised you do what you have written about breath?

Q2: What are you reading about Bhagavadgita, I mean what text?

Bhagavadgita is a rather long study which you should do in a proper way. When you are confused, do not do anything, until all confusion about what you are doing goes away. That of course requires personal instruction if you are not getting from your reading.

strazin
Posted 2007-04-26 2:31 PM (#84297 - in reply to #84248)

I had no idea Pittsburgh was a great place. Where exactly should I be looking in Pittsburgh? And thank you for offering your help to me from VA. I will consider going to visit you if you are available, although I do not have a car. The only problem is that the long bus rides will probably cut into my academic class schedule. But I will see if I can manage a visit.

In response to your questions...
Q1: Verse 12 of chapter 8
Q2: You can find the specific translation I am reading at http://www.bhagavad-gita.org/Gita/verse-08-12.html.

jonnie
Posted 2007-04-26 3:08 PM (#84301 - in reply to #84222)

Hi Strazin,

Kundalini Yoga is part of the Tantric tradition which is a non orthodox Hindu philosophy.

I'm making an assumption here, though it appears what you may be searching for is referred to as Advaita Vedanta, which is one of sub schools of Vedanta (one of the orthodox schools of Hindu philosophy).

The Chinmaya Mission (of Swami Chinmayananda) have a center in Pittsburgh.

71 Hillcrest Dr.
Charleroi
Pennsylvania 15022

Tel: 724-483-6386

They also have a cheap and very interesting e: mail Vedanta course:

http://www.chinfo.org

I like this organisation very much and have personally learned a lot from them, though given the choice of studying with them or Neel, I'd choose Neel.

Jonathon
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-26 3:31 PM (#84304 - in reply to #84297)

strazin - 2007-04-26 2:31 PM

I had no idea Pittsburgh was a great place. Where exactly should I be looking in Pittsburgh? And thank you for offering your help to me from VA. I will consider going to visit you if you are available, although I do not have a car. The only problem is that the long bus rides will probably cut into my academic class schedule. But I will see if I can manage a visit.

In response to your questions...
Q1: Verse 12 of chapter 8
Q2: You can find the specific translation I am reading at http://www.bhagavad-gita.org/Gita/verse-08-12.html.

Dear Starzin: I apologize for not reading your original post in entirety and carefully. See below:

1,. Ch8/V12 is not describing a regular Yoga Practice. It is describing a state of a perfected Yogi while he leaves his body at will. This is an answer to the question asked in the Verse 1. Chapter 6 is the real classical Yoga Practice given in Bhagavadgita, and also Bhaktiyoga and Karmayoga given elsewhere.

2. I might be able to visit you in Pittsburgh. EMail me. Also, if you come to me, I shall arrange your FREE accommodation with another student of mine who just graduated from Carnegie Mellon in Pittsburgh.

3. As for other things you wrote: my suggestions are:

- continue going to that Yoga Asana Classes without discussiing much Philosophy there. Just to exercise, enjoy, and also make friends.
- do not discuss Philosophy with those who do not have background.
- Also, make sure that your parents are happy with the progress in your school studies as that is why you are in Pittsburgh. Once you make them happy, they shall accept your Philosophical view. They do not have to accept it.
bipinjoshi
Posted 2007-04-26 11:20 PM (#84331 - in reply to #84301)
Subject: RE: Understanding the Bhagavad

jonnie - 2007-04-26 2:08 PM

Hi Strazin,

Kundalini Yoga is part of the Tantric tradition which is a non orthodox Hindu philosophy.

I'm making an assumption here, though it appears what you may be searching for is referred to as Advaita Vedanta, which is one of sub schools of Vedanta (one of the orthodox schools of Hindu philosophy).

The Chinmaya Mission (of Swami Chinmayananda) have a center in Pittsburgh.

71 Hillcrest Dr.
Charleroi
Pennsylvania 15022

Tel: 724-483-6386

They also have a cheap and very interesting e: mail Vedanta course:

http://www.chinfo.org

I like this organisation very much and have personally learned a lot from them, though given the choice of studying with them or Neel, I'd choose Neel.

Jonathon

Hi jonnie,
Nice to know that you are follower of Chinmaya Mission. Swami Chinmayananda was a well known scholar in Vedanta. His commentaries on Bhagvat Gita and Upanishads are famous. I am not sure what meditation techniques they teach but at least through his writings Swami Chinmayananda used to recommend Japa meditation often.

jonnie
Posted 2007-04-27 12:25 AM (#84337 - in reply to #84331)
Subject: RE: Understanding the Bhagavad

bipinjoshi - 2007-04-27 7:20 AM

Hi jonnie,
Nice to know that you are follower of Chinmaya Mission. Swami Chinmayananda was a well known scholar in Vedanta. His commentaries on Bhagvat Gita and Upanishads are famous. I am not sure what meditation techniques they teach but at least through his writings Swami Chinmayananda used to recommend Japa meditation often.

Hi Bipinjoshi,

Yes, as a student of Swami Sivananda, Swami Chinmayananda did favour Japa meditation.

Interestingly, he also recommended TM style mantra meditation.

In Western Yoga circles this technique sometimes has a poor reputation, mainly due to the financial investment (it's very expensive) and the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's business practises. This is a shame because the technique it's self is very good.

Jonathon

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)