YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

recommendations--diet software
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

bredmond812
Posted 2007-04-25 11:40 PM (#84218)
Subject: recommendations--diet software

hello y'all,

i was going to try to turn over a new leaf with my diet--not because i want to lose weight, which i dont need to do, but because i need to improve my fitness(physical) and wellness(mental/emotional). I figured a good noninvasive way to do this is through my diet. However, i need some help. I think a software that i can input all that i eat into it and it would calculate all the nutrients and calories that are passing through my system would be good. I looked online, but there are so many. Does anybody have any input in this? I have a few requirements: free, comprehensive (includes many kinds of foods, sufficient analyses), adaptable (i can input new foods).

Thanks in advance
Top of the page Bottom of the page
OptiMystic
Posted 2007-04-26 1:39 PM (#84294 - in reply to #84218)
Subject: RE: recommendations--diet software

I like the Body Challenge at Discover.com (click) which has a diet portion and lets you select from a pretty wide variety of stuff, but doesn't let you add. However, you can probably find a dish that is close enough ingredient wise to get nutrition roughly correct (it's never exactly correct anyway, due to variances in sweetness of individual fruits, desities of grain, etc). I like that site because it will do a vegitarian (or not) diet, plus has exercise info, health links, etc.
tourist
Posted 2007-04-26 7:01 PM (#84317 - in reply to #84218)
Subject: RE: recommendations--diet soft

Expert Yogi

Hi Brandon - I always wonder why we have a desire to make things so very complicated. We really all know what is good food and what is unhealthy food. For most of us all we really need to do is add more vegetables and perhaps fruit, reduce meat and add some beans. Cut down or cut out your personal food demons - sugar, caffeine, whatever. Drink more water. If you eat canned veg, switch to frozen, if frozen, switch to fresh, if fresh, switch to locally produced. Each step is an improvement, you know?

I'm a Virgo, so I understand the urge to make lists and be organized about things. Lists and agendas have pulled me through a lot of stuff, but eating should be nice and easy and most of all - enjoyable. As much as I love my computer, software does not = enjoyable to me Let us know how you are doing!
bredmond812
Posted 2007-04-26 7:20 PM (#84318 - in reply to #84218)

ok, yeah, i guess you are right, I could be going a little over the top here. At the time i wrote the initial post, i was suffering from a lack of motivation. Events like these, where i just cant get motivated have been plagueing me for a while, to the point where i am on medicaiton for Anxiety/ADD. I have cut caffene and alcohol out of my diet completely. I done even eat chocolate. I have been doing this for years. I guess the refined sugars are next, i decided that about half a week ago. I am just trying to figure out why i experience so much 'unwellness' so often, to where i have decided it must be diet. Since yesterday, i have started taking flaxseed oil as a supplament, hoping that will postively impact my mood, and i thought maybe i should start to do more to get the right kinds of micronutrients in my diet. Personally, i have only concentrated on macro nutrients, especially concentrating on protein.

Personally, i enjoy software. I dont plan on being a slave to it, but it could get like checking the scale for weight and then becoming obsessed with it. I also felt that this way, i could get a sense of what foods have what in them, and then i could eventually abandon the software and just have a passive knowledge about what it is that i am eating. I dunno.

maybe i will just do like you said, and remove the refined sugars from my diet, and try to get a variety of fruits and vegetables in my diet. Hey, that brings up another question:

why is it i am only satiated by greasy savory foods? salads just dont do it for me, nor does fruit. I think it is because i dont get enough Omega-3s and so my brain is suffering from a lack of proper nutrients, but then I dont know. Also, I tend to oversleep because i am just too tired to sit up and get out of bed in the morning. It used to be worse, i needed 11-12 hours of sleep each day, but now i only need about 9. Is there any familiar pattern here? Is this due to nutritional imbalance? Any advice?

thanks in advance,

B Redmond
tourist
Posted 2007-04-26 8:48 PM (#84323 - in reply to #84318)

Expert Yogi

Try some savoury foods that aren't greasy. There are loads of them. Sounds like you might need a cook book more than anything. Do you get the food network? Loads of inspiration there.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-26 11:13 PM (#84330 - in reply to #84218)

bredmond812 - 2007-04-25 11:40 PM

hello y'all,

i was going to try to turn over a new leaf with my diet--not because i want to lose weight, which i dont need to do, but because i need to improve my fitness(physical) and wellness(mental/emotional). I figured a good noninvasive way to do this is through my diet. However, i need some help. I think a software that i can input all that i eat into it and it would calculate all the nutrients and calories that are passing through my system would be good. I looked online, but there are so many. Does anybody have any input in this? I have a few requirements: free, comprehensive (includes many kinds of foods, sufficient analyses), adaptable (i can input new foods).

Thanks in advance

I shall give you a simpler way. It is soft. It will not wear you out, but wear you in.

Go to Whole Foods and visit only three sections: Fresh Produce, Grains, and Nuts/Seeds. Do not go to other sections and commit crimes. In these three sections, you will find many an items.

Make a list of them. Thus, you shall have three lists. Now, each successive day, eat one item from each list. Do not repeat the item until list is over. This way, you shall really have a great vacation and all nutrition.

Peace.
redrox
Posted 2007-05-17 5:02 PM (#86526 - in reply to #84218)

Neel as always has good suggestions. But FWIW, http://www.sparkpeople.com/ is a site that many people on a diet board I participate in use and find useful. It's more of an online site than software itself, but is free, although you have to register. I don't use it as I am no longer actively trying to lose weight and I have no interest in being that quantitative. While there may be some value in knowing the components of the foods, I think there is a greater value in eating a large variety of real whole foods simply prepared. Eat more leaves than seeds. I don't believe there is any one ideal split of macronutrient components which many of these kinds of software programs and sites try to drive you towards.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)