YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

feel crummy about teaching
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

shalamOM
Posted 2007-04-25 4:54 PM (#84188)
Subject: feel crummy about teaching

Hey boardies!

I'm feeling down lately about teaching and I'm wondering if maybe you guys could offer advice or cheer me up...Don't get me wrong...I love teaching yoga.

1) I only seem to teach classes with really elderly people or beginners...I like this, but lately I've been really craving to teach some of the advanced asanas I know. I never get the chance yet some of these asanas are the ones that I find most inspirational.

2) I get my left and right mixed up once every couple classes or so. I've been trying to learn 'mirroring', but it's tough. Now the older ladies in my class think I have dyslexia and they pity me. One of them told me her son and husband have dyslexia too.

3) My classes are huge...over 40 people, but I get paid as much as the instructors who teach 10 students...this seems unfair.

4) Everyone assumes I'm single or divorced which is strange because I'm married.

5) For some reason when I'm sick and I become underweight I get compliments on my body. I find this really weird. Then when I get over my sickness and gain back the weight the ladies tell me that I don't look as skinny anymore. They seem to like me better when I'm skinny. I guess that gives them hope that they will one day be very skinny if they have a skinny yoga instructor.

6) Though I've been doing yoga for many years I decided to get certified for credibility. I now know that the other instructors are not certified even though the students are told that they are.

7) The students expect me to face the mirror when I teach even though that makes me feel like an aerobics instuctor and I feel disconnected from the class.

I've never danced and I don't like dance, but the instructors where I work who teach dance aerobic classes are the most admired and valued. They get paid the most too.l All the members are impressed with the dancers and seem to think yoga is for 'old people'. My yoga classes tend to get mostly 60 year olds.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-04-25 6:19 PM (#84195 - in reply to #84188)
Subject: RE: feel crummy about teaching

As my friend Tom would say "you got some shizzle in your Yizzle". Which I cannot even roughly translate.

I'm not going to go through your points in order nor am I going to speak to any one of them.

Some of what you are going through is quite natural in terms of a progression as a yoga teacher who is growing. There are time in our lives, for some ther are many of them, where we are continuing our growth such that we are leaving things and people behind. We slither out of our old skin and the shell in our wake is filled with things either not growing in the same direction or not growing at all.

The environment where you are teaching is of your choosing. This is so for all of us. One of the beauties of being a yoga teacher is that you may go. The corporate handcuffs do not exist for us. Or I should say they don't need to exist. We stay "in" things as long as they serve us. When a relationship, with a toxic partner or a sketchy business no longer serves us then we go. Not until. And we must look at this serving. How are you served by your environment.

How does it serve you to teach 40 and not be compensated to the level of your own self value?
How does it serve you to cater to the expectations of those who do not know yoga?
How does it serve you to have others perceive you as healthy when you're a rail but less popular when you are at an optimal weight?

I would not concern myself with others' perceptions of my relationship status or directional challenges (mirroring). When I mirror I simply talk opposite. I think of my own body opposite. I raise my right arm and I say "raise your left arm". Mirroring can be challenging and it demands levels of focus. So if you are looking for ways to enhance your mirroring skills, look to for ways to be more focused in class. If you cannot be more focused where you are teaching AND you want to be more focused, teach elsewhere.

Listen, I taught someplace where I was delighted to be teaching yoga and felt I was impacting student's lives. However, the studio was eclectic in nature and the ownership, while they hired me, did not appreciate what I brought. And that sort of energy is murky and unsupportive even if they are kissing your cheek when entering. They were not clean. I had to go. they knew it (and perhaps wanted it) and I eventually discovered it. But I had feelings about "leaving" students and about teaching yoga. Where would I teach if not there. And the answer is "anywhere I want to".

Now I'm at a smaller studio. And while there isn't a herd rushing in to pack the room, the owner really appreciates me being there. I'm in a position to actually share yoga with people and not pay lip service to "developing community".

Your funk will pass but that does not mean sit on the couch and wait. If you are ready to make some movement then do so mindfully.

If you do not like something in your life, try and change it. If you cannot, then find joy in it.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-25 6:22 PM (#84197 - in reply to #84188)

shalamOM - 2007-04-25 4:54 PM

Hey boardies!

I'm feeling down lately about teaching and I'm wondering if maybe you guys could offer advice or cheer me up...Don't get me wrong...I love teaching yoga.

1) I only seem to teach classes with really elderly people or beginners...I like this, but lately I've been really craving to teach some of the advanced asanas I know. I never get the chance yet some of these asanas are the ones that I find most inspirational.
===> From your classes, watch the ones who can do these advanced poses. Call them for Chai (do not forget to invite me. I like chai and advanced poses!) to your home. And, show them what advanced stuff you can teach them, FREE or charged as you like.

2) I get my left and right mixed up once every couple classes or so. I've been trying to learn 'mirroring', but it's tough. Now the older ladies in my class think I have dyslexia and they pity me. One of them told me her son and husband have dyslexia too.
===> Replace the words left and right with 'Side A and Side B'.

3) My classes are huge...over 40 people, but I get paid as much as the instructors who teach 10 students...this seems unfair.
===> If you are the manager of these classes, split them into 4 by limiting size to 10. If you are NOT manager, then you are a slave. Behave as slave in Slavery. There are only two professions: Slave and Master. All others experience both these sides at different times.

4) Everyone assumes I'm single or divorced which is strange because I'm married.
===> What is wrong with that? Many women like to be thought that way. Carry your photo with hubby and kids, making it visible to ohters in some fashion. Ideas? Wear a necklace, made only by joscmt, which has your family picture in it, and disply it outise on the chest.

5) For some reason when I'm sick and I become underweight I get compliments on my body. I find this really weird. Then when I get over my sickness and gain back the weight the ladies tell me that I don't look as skinny anymore. They seem to like me better when I'm skinny. I guess that gives them hope that they will one day be very skinny if they have a skinny yoga instructor.
===> They are correct. If they like you skinny, that means you are not skinny in general. Apologies for wrong assumptions. It is interesting that you are sick when you loose weight.

6) Though I've been doing yoga for many years I decided to get certified for credibility. I now know that the other instructors are not certified even though the students are told that they are.
===> All my teacher trainees certified by me got their jobs without much try immediately after certification or just before that. That shows that jobs, except at Gyms, do not depend on certification. See Testimonials on my website. If you feel that you are good, certify yourself. Or, better, come to me. I shall certifiy you. !!! Only if you are good !!!!!

7) The students expect me to face the mirror when I teach even though that makes me feel like an aerobics instuctor and I feel disconnected from the class.

===> Make the students back to mirror and face the students and the mirror. !!!

I've never danced and I don't like dance, but the instructors where I work who teach dance aerobic classes are the most admired and valued. They get paid the most too.l All the members are impressed with the dancers and seem to think yoga is for 'old people'. My yoga classes tend to get mostly 60 year olds.
===> But, they are Young at Heart. Or, may be the Young ones are wasting time, gossiping and having fun. !!! If the mountain does not come to you, you go to mountain. So, you go to Young in Bodies, and Young in Mind, and teach them.

I love this questionaire. it is funny and educational. Let me try my luck with ===>
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-04-25 6:32 PM (#84198 - in reply to #84188)

shalamOM - 2007-04-25 4:54 PM Hey boardies! I'm feeling down lately about teaching and I'm wondering if maybe you guys could offer advice or cheer me up...

Hmm. You're asking for either advice or to be cheered up. Would you accept a third option?

When you teach, it's for your students, not you. It's their practice, not yours at this time. Doesn't matter if you're bored with beginner asanas or too gentle a flow or whatever. Try to find empathy for your students, whoever they are and whatever their abilities are, and rejoice with them when they achieve something new, be it a physical ability or a heightened awareness in any pose. If you're craving inspiration yourself, then it's probably time to devote more to your own personal practice, so make sure you're not burning out from teaching too much. You need to be fully you before you can go out there and teach others to be fully them.

And now I'm pitying them. I try to steer clear of lefts and rights, because I'm notorious for mixing them up as well. "Front" and "back" work just as well with arms and legs. Do you practice as you teach, or do you teach "off the mat"? No need to mirror at all when you're off the mat, so it's actually easier (at least for me). Demonstrate, sure, but then let them be the ones practicing the pose fully. Oh, and a trick I've developed about the left vs. right: if I get confused, I just look at a student by standing next to them, so I know which side is which. Piece of cake!

Unfair to whom? The instructors who aren't getting as many students as you?

And you care why? Is it necessary for you to be married to be a good yoga teacher? Your marital status (to your students) is irrelevant, and so if they express any opinions about it, odds are it's probably compassion, so take it as that. Maybe these older ladies all want to fix you up with their bachelor sons!

What they like or don't like is their issue, not yours. People who pass judgment on others are projecting on others what they fear and dislike about themselves. Tattoo this on your forehead and carry a mirror so you can remind yourself of this all the time (well, you'd have to tattoo it backwards, but still, you get my point). It's them, not you. Honest.

Yeah, so? See the response to #5 about passing judgment. Look, when you own your own yoga studio, you'll have the option of not hiring those teachers. Until then, you can only be the best yoga teacher you can be by being true to yourself. Hopefully others will take you as a model for their own behavior someday. But if not, swaha, at least you know in your heart you're being your truest self. 

Well that answers my question as to whether you're teaching off the mat or not. Bad rut to get stuck in, imo. Find a good groove to replace your rut. Teach as you feel called to teach, and those who like it will stay, and those who don't, will leave. Really, that's OK.

Maybe it's time to change where you work. Again, I see this statement of judgment as a reflection of how you might be feeling. Now no one is saying it's wrong to feel a certain way, but rather that you notice from where the pattern of these feelings and reactions are coming. The practice of Yoga is about not allowing all the stuff in life, large and small, get to you. So you need to find a way to practice Yoga with regard to your attitudes and reactions to teaching yoga (notice the change in capitalization). Self-study, it's so huge.

OK, not to shortchange you, so here's the cheering up part: you are perfect as you are, and you come from a place of perfection. Can't add to it, and can't take any away. Purnam adah.

OrangeMat
Posted 2007-04-25 6:37 PM (#84199 - in reply to #84195)

purnayoga - 2007-04-25 6:19 PM If you do not like something in your life, try and change it. If you cannot, then find joy in it.

That's another good one to tattoo on yourself. Thanks!

tourist
Posted 2007-04-25 7:00 PM (#84201 - in reply to #84199)

Expert Yogi

shalamom - do you have any local teachers who you feel are peers or colleagues? Anyone you feel like you can connect with? Sounds like you need a professional group to practice with and do your own work with. I am lucky that I live in a place where there are loads of Iyengar teachers, many who are far senior to me in teaching. We have monthly meetings, a regular class, local workshops etc., which keep us all going. I think if you found even one or two other teachers or senior students (of any age) and began a small group, you would get that feeling of being "fed" the way you feed your students. It is clear that the place you work does not create community for you - it is just a place to work. You may need to create that for yourself.
shalamOM
Posted 2007-04-25 7:32 PM (#84203 - in reply to #84201)

Exactly tourist...which is why I have made an effort to start teaching in a studio that I really like.

tourist - 2007-04-25 7:00 PM

shalamom - do you have any local teachers who you feel are peers or colleagues? Anyone you feel like you can connect with? Sounds like you need a professional group to practice with and do your own work with. I am lucky that I live in a place where there are loads of Iyengar teachers, many who are far senior to me in teaching. We have monthly meetings, a regular class, local workshops etc., which keep us all going. I think if you found even one or two other teachers or senior students (of any age) and began a small group, you would get that feeling of being "fed" the way you feed your students. It is clear that the place you work does not create community for you - it is just a place to work. You may need to create that for yourself.

And just to make it clear about being 'on the mat' the whole time. I'm not. I get off and observe/adjust, but I've noticed that the students are very uncomfortable when I'm not on the mat for them to watch the whole time. Again, I believe this is because they are used to aerobics classes. Therefore I've been getting off the mat less and less...People seem kind of disinterested in many regular yoga class activities like partner work and using a blanket as a prop, things we think of as part of a typical class.

Lately I've been getting the hang of mirroring, but I'm wondering if some of these people just think I don't know left from right and am getting it backwards the entire class . Kukarnns advice about using side A and side B sounds like a good idea....I honestly hate saying left and right the whole class...I don't learn that way as I'm mostly a visual person.

Edited by shalamOM 2007-04-25 7:34 PM
tourist
Posted 2007-04-26 11:01 AM (#84262 - in reply to #84203)

Expert Yogi

Well, if you are getting classes of 40 then obviously a lot of people like your teaching. And since you get paid the same no matter how many people come to the class, you should just teach the way you want to teach and forget about the complaints. If you lose 10 people per class, you will be left with those who really want yoga and those who think it is aerobics can find an aerobics class they like. You can start each class explaining a tiny bit about how and why yoga is different from western exercise - even just a sound bite will do and it doesn't have to be yoga-y. Like: "remember this is yoga, not aerobics, so do not push through pain."

Having support for yourself is absolutely key. Being here and discussing with us is a good first step
mishoga
Posted 2007-04-26 11:15 AM (#84267 - in reply to #84188)

Expert Yogi

ShalamOM, do you teach exclusive to this establishment? PT or FT?
Why not try to find some small space to rent pr hour and promote a class? It's not that hard and could be very gratifying.

Hey, I know how difficult it is teaching with several other fitness modalities (usually gyms).
"When the student is ready, the teacher will come". Be there for the students and give them your all. Be genuine. They will come.
In the meantime, find another venue to express yourself. Let that passion flow.

Edited by mishoga 2007-04-26 11:18 AM
mishoga
Posted 2007-04-26 11:34 AM (#84273 - in reply to #84188)

Expert Yogi

Intended post!

Good read!

http://www.yogajournal.com/teacher/2359_1.cfm
yoga-addict
Posted 2007-04-26 4:03 PM (#84309 - in reply to #84188)

Veteran

speaking as a student, if you like the idea of being off the mat, students will get used to it if you do it regularly. I'm always amazed when yoga teachers can remember all the left and rights- it's difficult!
ginkgo
Posted 2007-04-27 1:33 AM (#84345 - in reply to #84188)

It sounds like you are looking for peace in the world when it does not exist there. It exists inside of you. The world is imperfect. Everyday you get older and closer to when you will die. Also you are more likely to be injured or killed by someone you know, like your husband, than a stranger. Read the short article on this site called WHAT IS ENLIGHTENMENT. Also the site has a page explaining how colds and flus are good for your health. Although you can get the benefits of them by fasting. Jesus and Moses fasted for 40 days.
shalamOM
Posted 2007-04-27 2:20 AM (#84351 - in reply to #84188)

Well if Jesus and Moses fasted for 40 days than I will follow in their path. I will eat no food, just a hot cup of Java to perk me up.
TampaEric
Posted 2007-04-27 3:57 PM (#84430 - in reply to #84309)

I used to mirror everything. I spent about a year perfecting it. It was something that I used to think was critical.

Then I was encouraged to get off the mat. That took about a year.

I teach Vinyasa Flow and it takes a lot of concentration to remember which foot and hand etc you are talking about. These things take time.

One of my favorite teachers would say the wrong side almost every class. And her classes would just ignore it and do the correct side. Her classes were always packed.

So, it can be perfected, but it doesn't have to me.

Me, try my hardest to focus and generally I do not make mistakes very often. When I do, I usually realize it right away. The thing that helps me is having everyone always face the same way. Then with repetition you go on autopilot and it ceases to become an issue.

One of the Bikram teachers uses the streets outside as a reference. (I enjoy this and it creates this awareness of the outside world in class)

tourist
Posted 2007-04-27 7:21 PM (#84450 - in reply to #84430)

Expert Yogi

I like the street idea I use the door side or the window side, but the street thing might be a fun change of pace. In Iyengar we mirror, but also get off the mat a lot. Teaching twists from the front of the room, then switching to walking around the room can be a real brain challenge!

Posted 2007-04-27 9:43 PM (#84460 - in reply to #84188)

1. ask around to see if you can teach a specail 'challenge class' for 'intermediate and advanced practitioners. perhaps where ever you work, they'll want to do this as a one-off, or maybe each month or each week.

2. i also mix up left and right all the time, as well as classes getting confused about the 'front and back' of the room (i'm finding here that front means "whichever way we're facing" and not "where the mirrors are is front, where the heaters are is back--no matter which way you're facing." so, as others have mentioned, i've had to use 'landmarks.' "draw your hips toward the mirrors" and so on. it's been helpful.

whenever i flub left and right--which is continually--i laugh about it. it's one of my life-long flubs--i just don't seem to get it conceptually. it's pretty funny, i think. and then i have to teach mirror image (when i demo and teach which is rare) which is even more confusing to me because it's 'backwards' to me. and then sometimes i just screw it up anyway. I laugh it off, and the students and i get a good giggle about it too. "oh, did i say left? i meant left. i mean right. you know that other foot, near the stained class, not the regular windows. . .or something like that. "

3. then talk to your employer. teachers who consistantly bring a certain number of students typically get X $ over X students. eg: i get $40 no matter what (if i have one student or 15) but any student over the 15th student (ie, 16 and above), i get $2 per. most studios like this. Or, if they can't afford that (as it would put your payment, assuming you start at $40, up to $90), they may offer you $75 or $80 for the class time, instead of $40.

anyway, these things are negotiable. and if they aren't, you can always walk away and start a class somewhere else with another deal. that's the beauty of being an independent contractor.

4. yeah, i can't answer to this. to me, it's a "who cares?" but, if you care about it, then definately worth looking into.

5. maybe, or maybe not. again, i really don't care about this. it doesn't matter to me what my students think about my body or whatever else. I do point out body image problems in my class (how 'skinny' doesn't equal beautiful, valuable, or attractive---or healthy!--and how being who we are and caring for and living through the bodies that we have is what is really vital about us). so, maybe this is something you want to begin to comb into your classes.

6. whose business is this? i find that when a studio is running in this way ( or a business of other sort ) that i use the question "is this my business?" and the answer is "no." i'm not in charge of, for example, running this studio where i'm working now. my job--my business--is to teach classes. so i teach. when it comes to following the dictates of clean up, then i have to follow what the studio wants. it's their business.

now, whether or not the teachers who work here are certified is up to the business owner. whether or not they lie to their clients is up to the studio owner. For me, i have to ask myself "do i want to align my business (teaching yoga) with their business (offering classes with teachers who are not certified yet saying that they are certified)? am i comfortable working with an employer who lies? and if not, then i know that i can take my business elsewhere.

7. i don't care what the students expect. i teach the way that i was taught to teach, the way i have developed my own teaching style and methodology. if the students don't like it, they can go to dunkin donuts instead of taking my class. or take one of the 100s of other yoga classes available to them. i'll even recommend studios and teachers to them if they want something that i don't so. This is my business, this teaching yoga. this is what i work at. this is what i know and what i do. i know why i'm choosing not to demonstrate, not to face mirrors or turn away from them and mirror, why i'm choosing this description of a pose or sanskrit name for a pose over that one (when a pose has two or more names). they don't need to know. i don't have to explain it. i can if they ask about it (and i've had that happen), but otherwise, they can go to another teacher, in another place, who teaches differently.

i'm not the teacher for everyone, and i'm ok with that.

addendum:

i get a wide diversity of students in my classes--but my average ages are between 45 and 55. i get the occassional over 60, and the occassional under 25. but most are in this age range. i also get a wide diversity of backgrounds.

i mostly work in gyms and at the Y. i like these facilities because you get a great diversity of client. most of my peers are aerobics instructors. most of them earn less than me, even though i may only earn slightly more. we hold each other in mutual esteem and respect, and support each other greatly. it's a lot of fun to have a diversity of experiences to learn from--and many of them take my yoga classes even though i'm rather loathe to take any form of aerobics classes. but we laugh about it. i laugh at myself for just nto being into that. it's a weird thing. but there's no problem with it. that's just what is.

and, i also say, hey! yoga isn't for everyone. so if someone doesn't take my class, they can say to me "yeah, like how you don't like step!' or whatever it is. and i don't like step. but, i don't take myself too seriously. LOL

oh, and for 40 day fassts, they're typically day fasts with a simple breakfast (tea, toast, etc) before sunrise and then after sunset, a simple meal as well. this is probably what jesus and moses did, as it is common practice in jewish, muslim, and christian fasting practices (and was before there was a moses or a jesus or a mohammed for that matter, who also fasted in this way. )
SiriusSpirit
Posted 2007-04-29 11:26 AM (#84557 - in reply to #84188)

Shalam, I thought your post was really cute. It must be your personality.
1. Find somewhere else to teach! Are there new studios opening up in your area? Different gyms? The gym where I teach wants various "levels" of yoga classes, so I do a gentle yoga class and a more challenging class.
2. That is funny. I do better with mirroring the longer I practice it. And sometimes I turn sideways so I'm not mirroring at all (like I go sideways for the bridge). Occasionally, like for twists and sun salutations, I turn around just to make it easier on all of us.
3. Your classes are huge! Maybe you need to teach somewhere else? Or ask for a raise?
4. So what?
5. Oh, well...that's part of it all. I wonder how much of your thinking about this (and other things) is maya/illusion? I find that I have ASSUMED that my students probably don't think I'm a good yoga instructor because I am not a rail. I have a healthy, strong body. Where do these thoughts come from? ME! MY mind. No one ever indicated anything of the sort. Anyway, our society is so screwed up about weight and body image -- try to pay no mind to it. Do what is healthy for YOU.
6) I have had to work on my mind to "leave it" (just like I tell my dog to leave things that will harm her) when I start complaining to myself about the yoga teachers who get three-hour certifications from these "fitness seminars," then they say they are certified in yoga. It's easy to think:"Why'd I spend 200 hours in training?!" Well, because...we know. Let it go.
7) Do what you feel is right. As I said, I like turning around at different stages of the class. Go with what your gut tells you is the right thing to do.

If you don't like teaching older people, move on to another studio or gym where you will get different students. But also think about what the lesson(s) might be for you where you are now.

Work to let go of that yapping in your mind
shalamOM
Posted 2007-04-30 9:18 PM (#84693 - in reply to #84188)

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments. I think sometimes I am just over sensitive to little comments. I need to just let them go. I mean does it really matter if a couple ladies thinks I don't know my right from my left? I should just laugh about it.

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-30 9:51 PM (#84705 - in reply to #84693)

shalamOM - 2007-04-30 9:18 PM

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments. I think sometimes I am just over sensitive to little comments. I need to just let them go. I mean does it really matter if a couple ladies thinks I don't know my right from my left? I should just laugh about it.

ha ha ha ha ha ha
Kym
Posted 2007-05-08 9:39 AM (#85549 - in reply to #84188)

Have you considered that you're just sick of teaching yoga, or where you work? Not to be simplistic, but I came away from your post thinking you're plain sick of the scene. The stuff about whether you're married, the right/left issue and your weight sounds more like someone who is rationalizing why you don't like what you're doing and you're lookikng for supporting factors.

I think I'd start hitting new places to practice and see if you fall in love with one of the studios or gyms. Then, maybe a new job will be in your path.

BTW, I get right and left wrong ALL THE TIME and my class just deals with it. It's part of my package!
mishoga
Posted 2007-05-08 11:59 AM (#85562 - in reply to #84188)

Expert Yogi

Hey shalam, are you still feeling this way?
shalamOM
Posted 2007-05-08 5:07 PM (#85596 - in reply to #84188)

Thanks for asking mishoga. It's kind of strange. When I'm not teaching and I'm thinking about all the things associated with teaching I feel like I don't like it, but when I'm actually teaching a class I am in my element and extremely content. Aspects of teaching yoga get to me because I am an overly sensitive person, but overcoming that may make me a better person.

One thing that I'm struggling with is that although I am very committed to being the best teacher I can be for my students and my students seem to really like me, in order to get a job in a studio I have to audition. Auditions SCARE me and I keep procrastinating. Once I auditioned for a yoga job and I got so nervous and just froze. I didn't even bother to hear what their response was.

I also feel with yoga teachers that there is a lot of suspicion over who is a 'real' spiritual yoga teacher, who is not trained well enough, who is full of ego, etc. I've noticed that the yoga teachers who seem to get the better jobs really promote themselves, always managing to mention their relationship with the Dalai Lama himself and the fact that they've been doing yoga since they were 3 years old. I am terrible at self promotion and it would feel egocentric to do that yet I don't think I'll ever get another job unless I do. I happen to live in a place where there are many instructors all competing for a few jobs.

So anyway, to make a long story short, I know that I do yoga for the right reasons and I don't want to have to prove that to anybody. I think eventually I'll go back to school to get a masters in a field where I can just be an introverted nerd and do my work well and not have to think about promoting myself with exaggerated bios and ridiculous professional yoga promo pics.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-05-08 8:38 PM (#85604 - in reply to #85596)

shalamOM - 2007-05-08 5:07 PM I also feel with yoga teachers that there is a lot of suspicion over who is a 'real' spiritual yoga teacher, who is not trained well enough, who is full of ego, etc.

I don't know where you live, but if you can, you should really come to my studio. Just to take a class or two, for a breath of fresh air at least! There is NONE of what you talk about where I practice, and I really don't believe we're all that unique (maybe we are, I don't know....).

Anyway, just wanted to say it really pains me to hear how doing this thing that you love, teaching yoga, causes you such pain. Life shouldn't be so hard, ya know?

mishoga
Posted 2007-05-09 6:24 AM (#85648 - in reply to #84188)

Expert Yogi

Shalam, I read this lastnight but my hub was home and it was dinnertime, so I couldn't respond as I wanted and felt I needed to.
Not too long ago I brought this same topic up (Big thread, I wil try to find it).
Taking my fitness background out, I have been teaching yoga (certified) for three + years (lead classes uncertified for a year prior to that) and working very hard I might add. I was at one point teaching 17 classes a week, sometimes more and then add on charity events. I don't teach this many classes now. I decided to cut back to focus on studies which I'm glad I did. I gave my students so much but it left little for my husband and sons.
I worked everywhere I could but did not even consider working in a yoga studio. Well now I want to work in a studio which I also know pays significantly less (it's not about the money for me).
It is so hard to break into a studio. I am embarrassed to say I have sat down a few times crying, questioning my technique, ability, my authenticity, etc....
As much as we are taught as teachers to respect all lineages and traditions, there seems to be a lot of judgment within the yoga community. Gym yogis are looked down upon. This is very sad and real to me. I find this is a contradiction to what we all are taught as teachers. (OMG, I have so much to say about this topic) I actually have cried to my husband and said "Is the only way I will be able to teach in a studio is if I own the studio?" That's what it feels like. It really saddens me. But I tried to bring myself back to why I am teaching. I personally teach to help people increase the quality if their life, whether it may be physically, emotionally, or spiritually. That is my message and goal for all ages.
What is your reason for teaching yoga???? What is your motivation???

Now as far as self promotion, well, it is not a bad thing to self promote? I respect it's not for you nor do you have to do that. You can be an effective teacher without stepping out of your comfort zone. Don't look down upon teachers who can use the media to their advantage. I think of self promotion as a way to open doors to reach more people. It brings one out of their community and into a larger base. It is through my diligent work in self promotion that I was brought to the attention of some very worthy charities, which anyone who knows me knows I love Seva.
BUT, it is also the recognition I have recieved that has backfired within the local yoga studio communities. Also, another establishment didn't want to interview me because they thought my fee would be expensive. It's funny how we perceive and what is reality. Being recognized in the public's eye and media can be intimidating for other yogis and obviously has closed doors for me too.
I'm not any different than any other yogi. I just know where there is opportunity and I am one to jump. If I fail, that's ok. I refuse to let my fear hold me back. My message is larger than me. I know why I teach. I know what I hope to accomplish, although sometimes I feel I might be living with unreal and idealistic dreams. If appearing on a television show, or accepting an invite to be a guest speaker/presenter, or volunteering my time for a worthy cause brings recognition, that's great. But that's not why I personally do it. I do it to get the word out, to deliver my message. It's all about my message which is directed to all people of all ages. It's all about intention.
I have many students that come to me and say they think they want to teach yoga. They ask for my advice, (not that I'm in the position to give it but as teachers we know how much our students trust in us). The first thing I say to them is "Why do you want to teach". I tell them to focus on that.
The way you described your feeling about teaching, I can say I felt that way about teaching children. I enjoyed it while I was actively teaching them, but the motivation to continue wasn't there. I made the decision to let that go. It was the right decision for me. It's not that I disliked it. I just wasn't passionate about it. For me, it's my passion that drives me.

What are you passionate about? What is driving you to continue teaching yoga?

Please forgive any typos.
And shalam, I mean no harm in any words on this page. I have and do still cry with this pain and rejection. I have worked so hard to be where I am professionally and it's hard for me to undrestand why my peers will not accept me. I know this pain intimately so I feel your indecision in your post. If you need to PM me, by all means, please do.

BTW, here's that thread. It's long so get a cup of java or tea and get comfortable. I really have to thank all the supportive members of yoga.com for giving me some great advice. I was very angry, full of emotions and very down. Everyone here helped me have perspective relative to my situation.
This thread might offer some comfort from many angles. Enjoy the read.
http://www.yoga.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=23807&start=1

Edited by mishoga 2007-05-09 6:33 AM
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-05-09 7:45 AM (#85655 - in reply to #85648)

mishoga - 2007-05-09 6:24 AM It is so hard to break into a studio.

Mish, I don't have the experience and therefore perspective you have, so this statement confuses me a bit. Are you saying that it's hard to be accepted as a yoga teacher at a studio if you've only been teaching at gyms so far? I'm assuming that's what you mean, but I just wanted to make sure (don't want to pull an Emily Latella here!).

Anyway, coming from a fitness background myself, I can see how this difficulty could present itself, given the differences in ideology between gyms and "true" yoga studios. Hey, this has been my problem in teaching at gyms all along, because my intuitive approach was a yogic ideology, which is not well received at gyms. I still deal with that issue every week that I teach my couple fitness classes to a practically (if not completely) empty room. Whatever, not the point here.

What is my point, is that I wonder if, in an attempt to be "accepted" by a yoga studio, maybe time should be put into attending classes at a studio, primarily for the objective of being a student there yourself. Not so much to get an "in" with them, but to really immerse yourself in the particular ideology of that studio (which ever one you pick, or even more than one, doesn't matter). Don't attend classes with the intention of teaching there some day, just attend as a student. It's not so much that they accept you, it's that you accept them. Does that make sense? Having differing ideologies goes both ways, I believe.

At my studio, the recommendation is that you attend classes there for at least a year before applying to the teacher training program. You're not applying to study there, of course I understand that, but I believe the principle behind that rule applies to your situation as well.

The phrase you used, "to break into a studio", is what caught my eye, and that's what I'm responding to here. If you make yourself familiar with a studio by being a student there yourself, there is no "breaking in" required. If the grooves match, then all will be good. Just a thought toward a different approach, that's all.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)