YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gentle Yoga Class - Help!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

twisti
Posted 2007-04-25 6:57 AM (#84139)
Subject: Gentle Yoga Class - Help!

Hey Guys, long time no post!

So I am in Cairns, Australia (again) and am teaching a few classes a week in someone else's studio. One of the classes is a 'gentle' class (which is certainly not my forte) and I am getting so bored with myself and need some inspiration and thought I might be able to find it here

The rules are, no standing postures or anything too strenous (backbends, inversions etc). I don't find it a very well rounded class yet I have to stick to the outline and its great for people who want to stretch yet don't want to 'work'. I think its good for people with injuries or as an addition to a stronger class ... yet for most people it's their 'one class a week' and I just don't know how I feel about that!

Anyway, I start off in savasana, do some lying twists, setu bandasana then roll to sitting for some basic forward folds then its back to the floor for a little back release and then savasana again. Sometimes I throw in one legged pigeon or a lunge etc. The whole class is 75 mins long and I am sick of teaching it already.

Can anyone offer some inspiration or ways to make this class more beneficial for me and my students? I just feel there isn't much I can do with it but I could be wrong ...

Oh, props are way limited too as is wall space for viparita karani and such.

Thanks in advance guys xx
Top of the page Bottom of the page
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-04-25 7:27 AM (#84141 - in reply to #84139)
Subject: RE: Gentle Yoga Class - Help!

I helped my teacher write up a flow for a gentle class, and while there were no standing poses such as the warriors or triangle, etc., she did have some lunge work, modified sun salutes, even tree pose. Just off the top of my head, there was a whole section at the beginning (also starting in savasana) of seated arm work a la garudasana, side bending and stretching, supine twisting with chest openers, thread the needle, that sort of stuff. How about cat/cow and tiger pose variations? There's tons you can do! Hope this helped.
mishoga
Posted 2007-04-25 7:32 AM (#84143 - in reply to #84139)

Expert Yogi

What about bringing the focus on breath? And focusing on slowing down. Slowing down the breath, thought patterns, movements, bringing peace within. Not moving, but being internally moved. Are you good with verbal cueing for visualization?
You can bring them to a good place, like a beach, describing everything down to the last detail so that they can almost smell the scents of the beach air, and feel the coolness of the sand along their spine while supine.
I teach restorative classes and sometimes it is a challenge, but can be very rewarding for the class when attention and intention is deep focus on letting go of all the baggage they walked in with. It's spring so tell them you're going to spring clean the body and mind, remove the clutter, create space-akasha-vast nothingness. That is hard work in itself.

Edited by mishoga 2007-04-25 7:39 AM
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-25 8:34 AM (#84154 - in reply to #84139)

Welcome twisti. How R U? I have been searching you (twisti) in Kristis and so on for long. Now, I know where you are. I suggest the following:

Do not combine your gentle class for getting good feeling for your students and yourself at the same time. After all, you are Twisti and an advanced Asanist. There is no way you are going to mix your practice with Gentle xxx. Just do that as job demands, get the money. Go out, and have a wonderful Twist Practice. And, be happy.
Orbilia
Posted 2007-04-25 9:43 AM (#84161 - in reply to #84154)

I was going to suggest the one-leg standing balances too (tree, one leg prayer pose, one leg, lotus, perhaps even dancing lord shiva *wg*). Also, just teaching them how to stand in tadasana properly could take up quite a bit of time.

How about substituting the supine twists with some seated ones and throwing in a little leg-folding such as the beginner preparation poses for Lotus? Also seated, wide-leg forward bend?

The Bihar school of yoga have a routine I find useful as a warm-up and joint loosener .... the pawanmuktasana, anti-rheumatic and anti-gastric series :
http://www.yogamag.net/archives/1997/1jan97/pawanmuk.shtml
http://www.healthandyoga.com/html/yoga/asanas/pawanmuktasana1.asp
http://www.healthandyoga.com/html/yoga/asanas/pawanmuktasana2.asp

I've also done a routine I know as weaving the basket..... let me see if I can descibe (I may have the sequence a little awry as it's been a while since I watched this tape :-) ):
- Sit cross-legged
- Place hands on floor in front and walk them forward
- Bring the hands/head back, stretch out the arms to the side, in line with the shoulders, hands in lose fists
- Bring one arm across the body and hold in place with the forearm of the other, hold, repeat on other side
-Bring hand to the floor either side, walk the fingers of one out to the side and bring the other arm up (side-stretch). Let the resting arm bend at the elbow if you can with lifting the buttocks from the floor. Repeat on other side.
- Finish with seated twist each side, still cross-legged.

Why no standing postures at all? My treacher does a class based around keeping the brain still / quiet once in a while where we do stuff like :
- standing, wide-leg forward bend, head on blocks
- D-F dog with head on blocks
- Seated head to knee, head on blocks.
- triangle, warrior II but keeping the head facing foward etc, etc

You could also include the calming pranayama practises, visualisations and/or meditations?

Of course, the rebel in you could always just ask the class if they'd like to sample a more typical Twisti class whilst they have the "opportunity" of sampling a different teacher's style

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2007-04-25 9:57 AM
tourist
Posted 2007-04-25 10:07 AM (#84163 - in reply to #84161)

Expert Yogi

Hi kristi - gentle classes can be a challenge, but never boring for me. Finding ways to keep people moving without so much getting up and down off the floor was the hardest thing for me. I had someone with very limited mobility in one class. So we worked from standing to the floor and had everyone ready for savasana by the time they got to seated poses. Chairs will be a real help - do you have them? Things like a seated forward bend, sitting on one chair and head and arms resting on another are really nice. To do a great seated twist without having the students sit backward through the chair, I had them line their chairs up and use the back of the chair in front of them to hold onto. And viparita karani does not require a wall, though it is nice to have one. I suppose you could even partner people and have their legs suport each other? Have fun!

Posted 2007-04-25 12:52 PM (#84173 - in reply to #84139)

TK--Sascha just came out of a gentle thereputic training this past weekend--she's probably got a ton of material from that--I'll email you both and see what she comes up with.
xoxo
TampaEric
Posted 2007-04-25 1:07 PM (#84175 - in reply to #84139)

savanasana
ankle and wrist rotations
leg lifts
ardha navasana
supta baddha konasana
Eagle legs on back (press hands into thighs, thighs into hands on exhale)
supta baddha konasana
Setu Bandhasana (3 times)
reclined twists
sutpa padangustasana (use towel)
dandasana
sukasana with shoulder rolls
baddha konasana
janu sirsasana
Arhda Matsyendrasana
vajrasana (eagle arms)
Cat/Cow
Thread the needle
eka pada kapotasana
downdog or cat stretch (table with one leg extended)
Cobra
Locust
Supta Paschimottanasana
Wind removing pose
happy baby
ankle and wrist rotations
savasana

Posted 2007-04-25 4:45 PM (#84187 - in reply to #84139)

you might find some inspiration in the yin yoga texts that are available. or at least at yinyoga.com.

twisti
Posted 2007-04-26 1:59 AM (#84223 - in reply to #84139)

Thanks so much for the replies guys ... nice to know I haven't been forgotten I spent a few months in Thailand studying Thai Massage and since then (the last year or so) I haven't had the internet at home so I have been lurking just haven't had much time for posting ... the old website is still up (with lots of pop ups mind you) if you feel inclined:
http://kristi-trinity.tripod.com/index.html not much new info on it though.

Ok, back to the topic at hand ...

Orange Mat - Yeah more arm work while seated would be an idea, forget about how effective yet simple that is! (Tick Garudasana arms for tonights class). I do already incorporate thread the needle and cat/cow like you mentioned.

Mishoga - Visualisation would be good, not the usual for me in class but a great class to add it too (checked out your beautiful site they other day too )

Kulkarnn - Hee hee your post made me laugh Nice to hear from you Hun. My #1 rule is that class is NOT time for MY practice ... I guess I want the feeling that I have given my students as much as I could and because 'gentle' is so unfamiliar for me I don't feel I am doing that (although the feedback is always really positive from the students). But you are right, do what I can, do the job and just be happy ... got to stop focusing on perfection!

Orbilia - Thanks for the links and descriptions! No standing postures ... just the outline and what people are prepped for I guess. I do do Downdog sometimes but thats the most standing upright we get ... oh, I have tried the rebel approach but the studio won't budge, the want they class kept as gentle. Being at 6.45pm - 8pm I can kinda dig that anyway ;)

Tourist - No chairs ... Viparita is fine without a wall yet there are a few people in class that can barely do it in the middle of the room! (Bless their tight hamstrings). You are right though, got to see it more as a challenge not as a bore.

Bruce - Buddy.... you still rock Thanks

TampaEric - Similar to how my class goes some nights ... thanks for the input though, was good to see how you sequence it and also, cobra! Forgot to add that in, thanks.

Jenifer - I hope you are enjoying NZ Darling, I almost went to HotYoga but stayed in Aussie instead (for now at least). Thanks for the links, might get the PDFs, they are alot cheaper than the other books I was looking at getting!

You guys are great! MWAH
Orbilia
Posted 2007-04-26 4:53 AM (#84229 - in reply to #84223)

Hi Twisti,
I hope some of the above was helpful. I really enjoyed my own class last night (7:30 - 9pm) as it was the first one that my Iyengar teacher has incorporated some of her newly qualified stuff into (mainly arm balances). Now if I could only find the courage to do inversions in the first place :-(

The book that goes into the Pawanmuktasana in more detail is Asana, Pranayama, Mudra, Bandha by Swami Satyananda by the way and can be got through Amazon.

Do let us know what you settle on for a revised sequence as I need a restorative/relaxing one for my home practise as my usual 90 minute one's designed to give everything a good work-out and get my head into the right place for meditation/yoga nidra. Sometimes though, well, you just need a yogic chill out, right?

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2007-04-26 5:07 AM
mishoga
Posted 2007-04-26 6:20 AM (#84231 - in reply to #84139)

Expert Yogi

Hey Twisti,
I teach a mixture of classes although I have a feeling my faster paced classes are nowhere near what you teach, but the point is that sometimes my head is somewhere else when I teach my restorative class. I am not actually practicing with them but I am breathing with them so it does calm me as the class progresses.
As far as the visualizations, it helps the students get into a place that is serene. I use all different scenerios, sitting on a big comfy chair on a rainy day, with your big fluffy rob on, (for older women) thinking about the day you gave birth to your first child, that time they placed that tiny baby in your arms, being in the arms of the one you love, taking a stroll in the garden after a spring shower and imagining the scents, etc...... (I know...corny)
Sometimes I think because I am an artist I can see things in my head down to the last detail. I try to bring them there, like a blanket of security has washed over them.
Anyway, I teach a few gentle classes. Thought I would share with you what my typical class would start off with.
Rahini Yoga has 7 root warm-ups that are wonderful for every class but especially for restorative and gentle classes, plus they line up the Chakras/Windhorses. All warm-ups are in either Sukhasana or Padmasana
The grind (spinal rotations linked with breath)
The camel ride (spinal flexion and extension)
Navel circles ( very subtle movement internally)
Washing Machine (Fingers on shoulders,elbows extending from shoulder out, twisting softly right and left, linked with breath)
Sway-away (releasing from side to side in same arm position)
See-saw shrugs (finger tips release to sides of body, extending out to touch floor. Shoulders are like a plank-see-saw, lifting one as the other drops, linked with breath)
Nose circles (movements is within the cervical region only, rest of the body is motionless)
I don't think I'm explaining this good. If you want more particulars, PM me.
Depending on how long you want to stay with this, it could eat up 10-20 minutes of class time.
Usually this beginning follows 5 point seated pose from the buddhist tradition with equipose mudra. Also we start with cleansing breaths (alternate nostril breathing with Antar Kumbhaka between) I just know I'm not explaining this correctly to give you good idea of what I'm talking about.
Pretty much my restorative classes are on the mat and are 1.5 long. Sometimes it's hard to be creative with format but it's really not about creativity.
I really try to focus my students on slowing down thought patterns and being one with their breath.
OK, if there are typos (which I'm sure there are) please forgive me. Twisti, need any info PM me.
Good luck sista. Nice to have ya back!

Edited by mishoga 2007-04-26 6:22 AM
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-04-26 7:24 AM (#84234 - in reply to #84231)

Hi Mish, I really like all those seated warm-ups you described, very subtle but totally accessible to the general public, very cool. The nose circles are something my PT had suggested I do since my cervical spine is unstable (relates to the SI, for sure), but I haven't had the patience to do them. I'll take your posting as a personal reminder for me to do them, thanks!

How's it going with the new studio plan? Lots of luck and good thoughts to you on your new venture!

mishoga
Posted 2007-04-26 8:25 AM (#84240 - in reply to #84234)

Expert Yogi

OrangeMat - 2007-04-26 7:24 AM

How's it going with the new studio plan? Lots of luck and good thoughts to you on your new venture!

I'm overwhelmed with all the information. I don't think that space will be avail for NOW!!!! But I do believe it will be mine sometime in 2008-2009. Maybe it's wishful thinking but I'm going to manifest my dream. Whether it will be in that location or some place close is a definite!
It's happening in my future.
Mishoga Wellness Yoga Center. Purple power all the way!!!!

As far as those root warm-ups, they really do make you feel physically and emotionally balanced. Like taking the kink out of the hoseline and letting the water flow. Now go do some nose circles.

Edited by mishoga 2007-04-26 8:27 AM
TampaEric
Posted 2007-04-26 9:18 AM (#84246 - in reply to #84139)

Nose Circles.

Oh yea, I've almost forgotten about them too. I do enjoy them.

I was almost insulted the other day when another teacher took my flow class and said, "It's not a flow class it's a power class."

On one hand, she is right, the class was pretty advanced. But I really do try to offer modifications that a beginner can do.

Part of me wants to make next week's class very gentle. It might be more challenging for me to teach the class that way....

BTW, I love that yin-yoga website.
twisti
Posted 2007-04-26 10:03 AM (#84251 - in reply to #84139)

Just got the PDF that is avaliable on yinyoga.com, its so comprehensive and only $5!

Its got some info on Pawanmuktasana that you mentioned Orbilia ... nothing on nose circles that I can see just yet though Mish ;) Thanks for the great descriptions and ideas!

Thanks heaps guys, off to read and ponder and practice xx
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)