YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Teacher and Studio owners
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

mishoga
Posted 2007-04-23 1:40 PM (#83992)
Subject: Teacher and Studio owners

Expert Yogi

I need a crash course in openineg a studio. If you saw a site, were going to check on rent, calling town about zoning, permits, and grants for minority small businesses owned by women.
What else should I do immediately?
What questions should I ask the landlord?

Can one lead me to info on starting small yoga studio information, like a business plan?

Edited by mishoga 2007-04-23 1:42 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-04-23 1:48 PM (#83994 - in reply to #83992)
Subject: RE: Teacher and Studio owners

I've been doing similar Mish. Best source for me has been the local small business administration--they really love women-owned businesses!
http://www.sba.gov/
mishoga
Posted 2007-04-23 2:17 PM (#83996 - in reply to #83992)

Expert Yogi

Are you doing a business plan right now?
Have you worked on the expense calculations? If so, how did you determine balances?
Gordon should know this too. Maybe Tourist also.

I'm reading and printing out some stuff from that site Bruce. Thanks

Posted 2007-04-23 3:02 PM (#84000 - in reply to #83996)

I'm not to the business plan stage yet kiddo--still checking resources, markets, where. how, all that...
mishoga
Posted 2007-04-23 3:42 PM (#84001 - in reply to #83992)

Expert Yogi

Ahhhhhhhh, I see. Maybe we can help eachother out along the way
I'm going to call the town tomorrow to see what I need to do. I have to get the sq footage and call my contractor to see if he would take on a job to renovate space.
I'm trying to get the landlord's phone number. The store attached, I went there earlier and she is going to call me back with his cell. Supposedly two other merchants came i9n with interest in the location

Posted 2007-04-23 3:55 PM (#84002 - in reply to #84001)

WOW! You go lady! We all knew you were ready and glad to see you know that too now. Anything I can do to help please don't hesitate to say so: Proofing, graphics, referrals, sanity check, cheering, virtual hugs, etc., etc.
tourist
Posted 2007-04-23 6:47 PM (#84015 - in reply to #84002)

Expert Yogi

Go mish! I hope you get the place I am pretty useless in the paperwork department. Our board of directors has business people who did most of that stuff and we ended up not in a commercial space, so it was easier. If there are other tenants, I would check with them to see what kind of a landlord you have, make sure he has insurance for the building, get everything on paper so he can't change terms in midstream. Basic stuff like that. Once you get going, be sure not to go nuts on the renovations. Try to conceive of how you want it to look a few years down the line and get the basics first. For example, we went with a skim coat over concrete for a few months before we did the flooring at one studio. It worked fine and if things didn't work out we weren't out a ton of money. Then the floor was ready to lay the laminate when we could afford it.

I am excited for you!
joscmt
Posted 2007-04-23 11:19 PM (#84027 - in reply to #83992)

Hey Mish- good luck! I can't speak from a yoga studio standpoint.. but I can offer this:
Check with the local planning and zoning dept to make sure you can put a studio in the space without a Special Use Permit. You may also need to run things by a local neighborhood association (if you're in a neighborhood locale- around here, there are lots of hoops to jump through). Try to find out this info on the sly- while it's cool if you approach them, it's better to not have to deal with them if you don't have to.
To be honest, I kept hearing about these women-owned business grants, etc.. I had a hard time 1. finding them 2. being in the income bracket to qualify for them (and I, uh, wasn't working at the time- we were building out the restaurant)
Some local health depts require spa/exercise facility to have health permits- yoga studio maybe not.. but if you have a changing room.. then maybe.. I don't know.
P& Z is definitely your first stop though... good luck... it can be a challenging process.. but a rewarding one if you can see the forest for the trees!

Posted 2007-04-24 2:03 AM (#84035 - in reply to #83992)

I'm guessing by now you've had enough wind blown in your sails right?
The SBA and SCORE. Good resources. You can always find BP templates if you look. I finished mine and it's 28 pages. I'm told it's small.

it's all about dharma though. The location? You'll get the one you're supposed to get. Don't control the process. Turn it over to something larger then yourself.

You have not written a businesss plan but you are pursuing a commercial space? And you've thought that protocol through and have chosen it mindfully? And you just want some web site addresses and a "here's what I'd do next"?

Are you insured?
Do you have a business license?
Do you have a misssion statement?
What is the demographic of the neighborhood you are interested in?
Do you have a business account at the local bank?
Have you secured the website you will be using for this business?
Are there other businesses registered in your state with the same name you fancy?
Have you calculated the projections of your monthly expenses and monthly revenues?
What assupmtions are you making in estimating your own business success.
Who are your direct competitors? Indirect?
Where are they located relative to your projected location?
How do they do business?
Are they surviving or thriving?
How much capital have you raised?
Do you, based on your projections, have enough capital (in an account) to carry your studio in lean times for at least six months? Preferrably 8-10.
What is the size of the utility meter you will be using?
How will you market your business?
How will people find you?
Will you advertise? If so, how and where. What will it cost?
What is the pricing structure of your classes? Are there discount or bulk rates?
How will you track students? how will you contact them?
Will there be other teachers? What wil you pay them?
Who will do your accounting? What will you pay them?
Do you have an exit strategy?

You do not have to think about these things. You just have to think about them if you are opening a business. An ounce of prevention (thought beforehand) is worth a pound of cure (successful business).

Edited by purnayoga 2007-04-24 2:10 AM
mishoga
Posted 2007-04-24 5:57 AM (#84040 - in reply to #84035)

Expert Yogi

purnayoga - 2007-04-24 2:03 AM
t's all about dharma though. The location? You'll get the one you're supposed to get. Don't control the process. Turn it over to something larger then yourself.

I believe in this 100% Gordon.

Let me give you background.
I believe in the teachings of Deepak Chopra and Dr. Wayne Dwyer. I beleive there is no such thing a coincidence and I also believe we can manifest our dreams.

This location I am speaking about is 2 minutes from my home. I pass it everyday, sometimes half a dozen times. For the last three years, everytime I drove by I would take a deep breath and ask the divine to make one of the storefronts mine (tiny little strip, only 3 stores across from town hall). Honestly, there was no harm in asking and I never thought it would come to be. It seemed like the businesses that were there were rock solid.

Friday night I was heading out to a meditation class, (and was in a bit of a funky mood because me and my loved one had a disagreement). I was waiting at the light as usual, and when I turned left and once again took a deep breath trying to manifest, my eyes immediately focused on this big white sign in the storefront window "Sorry for the immediate closing....blah, blah, blah). I thought I was going to faint. I can't even describe the feeling I felt throughout my body. Business closed suddenly with no warning to customers.
Funny thing is, the week before I was working with some new transcendental (not sure about correct spelling) meditation techniques. I was focusing on what my true desires are and asking the divine to give me some signs, some help in acheiving my dream. The claims are that help is available for all who seek it. It is also said to be careful what you ask for (don't I know it).
I kind of felt it in my bones that I was meant to be a studio owner but I was thinking a couple more years to give me time to prepare. (Still might be that way).
So Deepak says there are no coincidences, well this certainly makes my hair on my skin stand up straight.
I don't see how I can possibly get my act together in such a short time to make this work. Maybe this is a kick in the pants to get ready.

Certain aspect are in place but not anywhere where I need to be.
I have financial backing (don't really want to use personal finances though), I have an accountant, website associated with business, have the local clientele, etc....
I have insurance but it's personal insurance. I really need to get the sq footage to get some quotes.

Today I will be making lots of calls.

Gordon, how is your venture going? 28 pages Gordon, explain more about the utility meter for me don't know anything about that

Posted 2007-04-24 7:37 AM (#84046 - in reply to #83992)

"I don't see how I can possibly get my act together in such a short time to make this work....I have financial backing (don't really want to use personal finances though), I have an accountant, website associated with business, have the local clientele, etc....
I have insurance but it's personal insurance. I really need to get the sq footage to get some quotes.'

Mish, I'd say with that described above, your, dream, your talent, experience and heart, you're in far better shape than so many others to make this happen.

As a related aside, Leigh, a woman I went to teachers training with, had a similar vision in 2005 to open her own place in New Orleans--the DAY of the grand opening Katrina hit. To make a long story short, that put a damper on her plan but a year later, and since, she's been up and running: http://www.artopiayoga.com/

So if you feel there are some roadblocks in you way in the upcoming days, just chant, "It could be worse, it's not a hurricane."
mishoga
Posted 2007-04-24 7:52 AM (#84047 - in reply to #83992)

Expert Yogi

Bruce, if I don't try I will forever question myself, especially since I have brought my focus on this exact location for three years. Even if it's not possible at this moment, which might be the case, I have to get everything lined up. So maybe this was a wakeup.
I was told by one store owner that she thinks the landlord is going to bring in a dry cleaners (the place was a dry cleaners). So if that is the case, I am going to hand him my business card, sell myself and my love of yoga and ask him to call me if any openings should pop up. In the meantime I will get everything lined up to be ready. I really want this location.
I am a resident, everyone knows me, my students base is strong here, there is only one studio within a 5 mile radius (conjested location and parking bad), and it's a wonderful addition to this little main street of Lake Grove. It's good for the community. We are a very mixed community but lake grove borders into very nice upscale communities. The growth is there for the taking if I am prepared, dedicated, and educated somewhat in what to expect.

I have to admit, I am scared. I don't want to let my fear cripple me. I didn't pursue that TV interview because I was a little nervous. although when I want something bad I can be very persisitent.
Anyway, I will make my calls and post what I know. Maybe this can inform others on that path. Personally I think every community should have a yoga wellness center. There has to be someplace one can go to re-focus and balance.
One thing, I have been teaching at Town Hall (across the street) for two years. I help them raise a substantial amount of money which is offered as scholarships for exceptional local seniors. I think I have to get their approval because this shop is also located in a town, but a village within a town and most importantly, across the street. How do you say it? OIYVAY!!!!!

Edited by mishoga 2007-04-24 8:07 AM

Posted 2007-04-24 8:07 AM (#84048 - in reply to #83992)

OMG, that poor owner--I can see the old boy all self-satisfied that a dry cleaner will be renting his space then, out of the blue, Hurricane Mish hits him headon--how can he resist?
mishoga
Posted 2007-04-24 8:09 AM (#84049 - in reply to #83992)

Expert Yogi

Wouldn't that be grand????????
Like butter!!!

Now if only I could reach him. My husband says he must have the place rented already. Why would he wait to put a sign up?

Hey, I'll have to manifest for a couple more years

Edited by mishoga 2007-04-24 8:13 AM
mishoga
Posted 2007-04-24 9:25 AM (#84053 - in reply to #83992)

Expert Yogi

OK, here's the updates:
Called the Town of Brookhaven, they refered me to Suffolk County Clerks Office to apply for Business License.
Sufolk County then refered me to Small business development Center in Stonybrook. I called and have a sit down with a private counselor who is going to walk me through the process free of charge (to help local small businesses grow). They even said they will help me search for grants for minority women and.
Now I have to call the Village to see if I can apply for a permit for a Awning/Canopy Signage. I'm reluctant to do this now because I work for them.

Have to call optimum and Verizon (Phone service for fees)
Oh yeah, my insurance compnay too.

$3000-$5000 for Backlite Awning with Logo. Have to apply to Village for awning permit $$

Edited by mishoga 2007-04-24 9:46 AM
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-24 12:19 PM (#84071 - in reply to #83992)

mishoga - 2007-04-23 1:40 PM

I need a crash course in openineg a studio. If you saw a site, were going to check on rent, calling town about zoning, permits, and grants for minority small businesses owned by women.
What else should I do immediately?
What questions should I ask the landlord?

Can one lead me to info on starting small yoga studio information, like a business plan?

Hey Mishy: PM me. From your past postings, you seem to have sufficient to work on at the present. Why do you want to handle this big thing immediately now? May be you should wait until your son/daughter /s go to college and hubby goes to work.
mishoga
Posted 2007-04-24 1:05 PM (#84079 - in reply to #83992)

Expert Yogi

I somewhat agree with you. I think it's not going to happen right now but it is lighting the fire under my butt into action. Deep down this is what I want. I want to connect with my community.

I really want to be very well informed when I go into this. If this storefront is left open to me, it is the unverse guiding me. This is not a venture, independent of my family. I would love to get my children involved too. My husband is somewhat behind me. He is happy that I am taking the necessary steps to make this possibly become reality.

I'm also going to search out some special spiritual people who might want to join me.
Besides, for anyone who might read these forums and feel they might want to one day own a studio but are intimidated by the process, I'll share my experience.

I found out a lot in a little amount of time.
Have form in for insurance quote, have call into fire marshall, my construction guy,
Already spoke with the most competitive phone and cable services here.
Priced out Signage to about $3000 maybe less. I'm overestimating.

Spoke with the Village. The are going to track down the owner of the building. The are in favor of a yoga studio.

I really don't feel it's going to happen in the now. One of those three storefronts will be mine. I just feel it. I'm going to get ready and use the time to view my funding options.

And I am going to ask for my family's support. This is something wonderful for all of us and the community at large. It is bringing a sanctuary to Lake Grove. A place people can learn to be nicer to one another and the Earth...

Oh, by the way "Happy Belated Earth Day" to all here

Edited by mishoga 2007-04-24 1:07 PM
yogabrian
Posted 2007-04-24 1:34 PM (#84081 - in reply to #83992)

Mishoga,

Either PM me or email me at info@yogicmotion.com. I would be more then happy to help guide you though the pain in the butt process of opening a studio. Please keep in mind my feedback may be disheartening. However, once we get through it you will have a solid idea of how to get your dream.

Most importantly DO NOT PAY A CONSULTANT to help you in this process, You can get all the info you will pay for free from the SBA or Score.

Gordon has really put together a good list to start with.

Good luck!

Posted 2007-04-24 2:58 PM (#84094 - in reply to #83992)

Mish,

we don't know what the lesson of it is. And therefore you may actually need to rush in. You may even need to do so carelessly. And you may need the lessons that come with rushing in and careless. We do not know. Now, I am not ADVOCATING such a thing, which is why I gave the list and made it as long as I could.

You asked for a space. You told the Universe you were ready. And now the Universe is responding to test you and see just how ready you are. Willing to go through the fear Mish?
I do know there are yoga studios that open without a business plan. I also know there are yoga studios that are grossly mismanaged. And more important then the startup framework it provides, it also serves as a rudder for the business entity as it sails five years into the future.
The BP serves as your Gita.

As for the meter, it seems, at least here, they come in consuption sizes based on the space/sq ft etcetera. And thus it allows you to project your utilities. Of course you might ask a neighboring merchant what theirs are but depending on the studio you are planning, your consumables might be radically different.

Questions for the landlord might be about a Triple Net lease (NNN). In those, the tenant is responsible for the upkeep of the property. Also an option in the lease for additional years. Perhaps you'll sign a three year lease with a 5 year option.

Then there's the issue of your build out. What things will you specifically need and what role will the landlord play. What modifications can you make to the premises.

mishoga
Posted 2007-05-01 12:11 PM (#84749 - in reply to #83992)

Expert Yogi

Check out this studio. I love how stimulating the colors are.
I know some of you will think "OH NO!!!! Too much...take it away" But I love color.

http://breatheny.com/_wsn/page5.html
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-01 12:48 PM (#84752 - in reply to #84749)

I love the vibrations! I was vibrated.

Posted 2007-05-01 1:19 PM (#84756 - in reply to #83992)

Looks nice Mish. I'm seriously thinking about a Yurt, a Yoga Yurt--that'd be cool:

(Yurt.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Yurt.jpg (39KB - 63 downloads)
mishoga
Posted 2007-05-01 1:22 PM (#84757 - in reply to #83992)

Expert Yogi

I love those. If my yard was bigger I would consider that. What do you do about the bathroom situation though?

Posted 2007-05-01 1:39 PM (#84760 - in reply to #84757)

I'm in Texas kiddo--see that forest surrounding the yurt? Back to nature. Actually, I hadn't thought about the bathroom--OK, no yurt...a Home Deport barn--with a bathroom:

(mountain_brook cabin.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments mountain_brook cabin.jpg (25KB - 56 downloads)
jonnie
Posted 2007-05-01 2:28 PM (#84769 - in reply to #83992)

If Ted Kaczynski practised Yoga, it would be in a studio that looked like that
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)