YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Air entering the vagina?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Women's HealthMessage format

YoGanesha
Posted 2007-04-20 8:52 PM (#83873)
Subject: Air entering the vagina?

during a shoulder stand? I didn't know how else to ask.

When I rise during a shoulder stand I can feel bubbles of air slowly entering my vagina, and when I lower myself into a corpse pose, if i'm not careful i can have the dreaded pf. I don't mind at home, naturally, but I don't want to have that in class. My class only fits 4 students and the teacher, so you can hear anything without mistaking it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-04-20 10:43 PM (#83876 - in reply to #83873)
Subject: RE: Air entering the vagina?

This only happens to me while menstruating.

It's my personal theory this is the reason why it is not recommended to do inversions while menstruating. This only happens when I start moving my legs around while in shoulderstand. Luckily the first time it happened was at home.

Interesting to know if you were menstruating or not.

Vicki
YoGanesha
Posted 2007-04-21 12:07 AM (#83878 - in reply to #83873)

I'm not. I'm a few days away though.

Edited by YoGanesha 2007-04-21 12:07 AM
Krisita
Posted 2007-04-23 1:57 AM (#83963 - in reply to #83873)

I had to laugh when I read this.....it’s happened to me many times (cycle or no cycle). As I sit here and ponder our embarrassment something came to mind. I was wondering if it might have something to do with our muscle lock or lack there of in mulabandha? I may be way off here, but it just came to mind.
Nick
Posted 2007-04-23 2:27 AM (#83969 - in reply to #83963)

Hi all,
What's really embarrassing is when you get air trapped in the penis-sounds like a flute Only kidding...at least, I think I'm only kidding

Nick
Hehet
Posted 2007-06-06 3:17 AM (#88617 - in reply to #83873)

this happens to me, coming down from shoulderstand into plough or just lowering down.

Sooooo embarrassing, how does one minimise this?
Nick
Posted 2007-06-06 7:21 AM (#88629 - in reply to #88617)

Hi Hehet,
I would have thought that the movement into shoulderstand is what enables air to enter the vagina-from bedroom experience, it is often this style of movement and position which does this, with hopefully hilarious results To combat it taking place, I would have thought bringing the legs over the head slowly, going into plough pose first for a few moments, using this time to contract the muscles across the base of the pelvis, breathing without strain-a combination of techniques, any one of which might do the job, or help.
I think also that the spinal posture might help-the tendency is to flatten the lumbar curve, both in the movement and the actual posture, which kind of opens up the base of the pelvis-trying to keep a neutral spine may help you to tilt the pelvis so that the muscles engage, rather than stretch.
Take care
Nick
angel
Posted 2007-09-14 9:05 AM (#96227 - in reply to #83873)

i am soooo glad i found your post about it!! it really made my day to know it is actually quite common i mostly encounter this problem when i am on sirshasana and it is just totally embarrasing cos there is no way you can come back quetly.
I really experemented a lot at home trying to contract the muscles, keep them relaxed and everything in between, but nothing helps significantly.. so i just pray now
my theory: it has to with the size and muscle strength of the vagina! So i aim to do lots of contractions of lower pelvis muscles on my free time.

love

Posted 2007-09-28 5:00 AM (#97117 - in reply to #83873)

I think a lot of woman have this problem, at least a lot of woman I know of. It has to do with the uterus. Since your body is upside down, your uterus pulls back a bit (towards the floor), and with that, it pulls air into the vagina. When you come down, the uterus goes back into it's former position, and the air is pushed out... I don't think there's anything you can do to prevent air coming out of the vagina... It's actually a good thing to do shoulderstand when you have this problem, since it brings the uterus in a normal position again (that's why it also can help with infertilitation).
I'm sorry for my poor English, hope this makes any sense to you.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-29 10:21 AM (#97173 - in reply to #97117)

Expert Yogi

Actually, Kegel exercises are very good to remedy this problem. If anyone has ever had a baby, your're doctor probably gave you this prescription. They say these are good for men too.
BO-YANA
Posted 2008-02-10 11:34 PM (#103212 - in reply to #83873)

Embarrisissing yes,but I would inform the class.I had the same problem before and just told them,how I feel,should I not come.It was OK,many had the same problem.

Posted 2008-02-11 2:23 AM (#103219 - in reply to #83873)

when we learned shoulderstand in teacher training, the teacher mentioned that women need a strong pelvic floor during shoulderstand otherwise they will have vag-eye-nill farts.
my friend sydney and i almost cracked up
because of the pronunciation, not the subject matter
then later that day when another girl was demoing shoulderstand, she had a bunch of them, and it led into a long discussion about the entire host of female-specific bodily functions and their relation to yoga.
i felt left out.

Edited by dhanurasana 2008-02-11 2:24 AM
imadayana
Posted 2008-02-11 4:44 AM (#103223 - in reply to #83873)

I've experienced va-ju-ju farts once or twice before, then another friend asked me why she got them. It's gone away but I'm not entirely certain why. When I was experiencing it I made sure to hold mula bandha and tighten the lower abs. Tell me if this works for you.
Yogana
Posted 2009-03-26 12:11 AM (#114951 - in reply to #83873)

Hi all, I must say I have not had the guts to do a shoulderstand in class since I had my first child because of this problem.

It had never happened to me until after natural birth. So I do believe it is the lack of pelvic floor muscles.
Obviously my pelvic muscles have streched and not come back to normal which facilitates air going in and eventually coming out loudly. (no matter how you get out of a shoulderstand, the air will come out and it will be noise) I have tried everything.

I think the practice of Moola Bhanda is probably beneficial as it will help streghten the pelvic muscles.

I would love to know another way to fix the problem thou as I don't want to keep pretending my neck hurts and that's why I don't practice the shoulderstand. LOL!

cheers,

Yogana
Dacite
Posted 2011-04-08 5:00 PM (#208081 - in reply to #83873)

Regular

Yeah, it is not a pleasant moment.

This happens sometimes therefore I am trying not to stay in reverse asanas too long in the classs.

Well, you can also say to people that it is just vagina.
jpg
Posted 2011-04-11 4:37 PM (#208098 - in reply to #208081)

Dacite - 2011-04-08 5:00 PM

Well, you can also say to people that it is just vagina.

This statement to the class makes an otherwise embarrassing moment into a bit of fun for everyone.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)