YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Song Suggestions Please Post!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

mattlab
Posted 2007-04-19 2:37 PM (#83750)
Subject: Song Suggestions Please Post!

Hi everybody. It says I am new but I have reading the posts on this site for a long time. I have recieved soo much information from this forum. I really appreciate the advice and knowledge on asanas and teaching it has been a great resource for me and I thank everyone.

I have only posted a couple of times and today I realized that I am not even sure the address I signed up with so after a a few hours of waiting for a password reminder I decided to open a new account. Anyway, I have been trying to make a contemporary mix of songs for my yoga classes, Steve Ross-like. I am looking for songs that are not too fast and that have a positive uplifting feeling or message perhaps. I would love to hear everyones suggestions.

I teach a faster paced class with alot of Sun Salutations, then a standing posture, then SS, then standing, then... you get the idea, to keep the heat up for about 45 minutes. Then a floor series focusing on stretching the back and then an abdominal series and finishing with some basic stretches and a few kundalini-type exercises before relaxation.

Here is some ideas I have put together/some of my favorites:

Isreal Kamakawiwo'ole - Somewhere Over The Rainbow-What A Wonderful World (ya gotta hear this!)

Marvin Gaye - Mercy Mercy Me

Telepopmusik - Just Breathe

John Mayer - Waiting on the World to Change

Frou Frou - Let Go

10,000 Maniacs - These are the Days, Our Time in Eden

The Corrs - So Young

George Harrison - My Sweet Lord

Norah Jones - Don't Know Why

Stevie Wonder - For Once in My Life, You are the Sunshine of My Life

Fifth Dimension - Aquarius/Let the Sun Shine In (too much?)

Corrine Bailey Rae - Put Your Records On

John Lennon - Imagine

Rent Soundtrack - 525,600 Minutes

The O'Jays - Love Train

Dido - Thank You

Indigo Girls - Closer to Fine

Sting - Desert Rose

Van Morrisson - Days Like This

Maybe some Tracy Chapman, Al Green, Les Crane?

Kind of an eclectic blend. But you get the idea. I want to know what makes everyone feel good. I realize music can be a distraction and I dont want anything too powerful to take away a persons focus. But I have found in classes that my awareness goes in and out of being aware of a song and then completely oblivious to any music playing. I just wanted some uplifting/positve kinda relaxed maybe laid back so when you are aware of it is a postive feeling. Thanks in advance for listening to me and letting me know your thoughts. Matt.

Edited by mattlab 2007-04-19 2:48 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-04-19 2:48 PM (#83754 - in reply to #83750)
Subject: RE: Song Suggestions Please Post!

Hello Matt,

I am sorry to be of no help here as I do not use music in class.
Perhaps others will contribute.

TampaEric
Posted 2007-04-19 2:49 PM (#83755 - in reply to #83750)

Hey Matt,

I rarely use songs with lyrics in my flow class. I think lyrics tend to distract from the asanas. Music, not so much.

Try one of Shiva Rea's CDs or Asana 2 or 3., Ravi Shankar too..

You might try songs from the groups: Air or Indiago Spirit.

Otherwise, check out Borders. They have lots of different world music, Indian, yoga, new age, etc, and you usually can scan and listen to them in the store.
mishoga
Posted 2007-04-19 2:57 PM (#83757 - in reply to #83750)
Subject: RE: Song Suggestions Please Po

Expert Yogi

Here's some playlists you might want to cherry pick a song.
I do tend to agree that songs with lyrics can distract some students. I only play songs with words when we are engaged in a fun filled practice or pilates.

http://tinyurl.com/2mqejp

http://tinyurl.com/2p5sb5

This one I like a lot. Lot's of alternative artisits.
http://tinyurl.com/3xbow6

Shiva Rea has some great CDs. Yoga Chill, Elysian Vibes, Blue Stone, Shakatura (last three titles, no words), Trance Yoga are some good titles. Yogafit has some nice CDs too.

Good luck and share your music choices. I'm always on the lookout for good tunes.
I proudly declare to be a music player.......Sound Therapy!

mattlab
Posted 2007-04-19 3:13 PM (#83762 - in reply to #83750)

I normally use music without lyrics also. Or I should say that I use some music with mild chanting, my favorites are Sada Sat Kuar (her first album), SoulFood, sometimes I use some Gandharva Veda.

Even if you do not use contemporary songs in your own classes I am curious what makes you personally happy to listen to. I am probably more like minded to people here in this forum so I am more interested in your own life what makes you smile, what makes you move, what makes you turn the radio up and sing. I actually do not use this type of music either but I am interested in trying.

Thank you for the links Mish! I have been looking for something like this. I like Yoga Chill. Some of the mixes out there a bit too funky that boderlines on annoying to me like Buddha Bar, I think it is great for cafe but it lacks a harmony to me. I have an Ibiza CD that I like. One of the reasons I think people do not like using contemporary music is that it lacks harmony and creates dissonace. I was hoping that finding some positive songs maybe I could avoid that these links will help. Very cool thanks again. I will also check out some of those others that you mentioned.

Matt

Edited by mattlab 2007-04-19 3:21 PM
idance
Posted 2007-04-19 4:06 PM (#83769 - in reply to #83750)

Your style is sounds alot like mine. I actually use some of the same songs you use. I always make my own mixes. Recently I made a mix that included some songs from the Beatles Love CD (Because, Glass Onion and Within You/Without You) - I also used a song called Unwritten (Natasha Beddingfield) and a Barry White song , all in the same mix. I have young and old in my class and got tons of compliments on my music mixes.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-04-19 4:07 PM (#83770 - in reply to #83762)

I have two iPods: one with all my "regular" music and one with all my yoga music (my daughter groans if that's the only one I've got in the car with me). On that iPod I have:

• Donna De Lory
  • Girish
  • Guru Singh
  • Gurudass
  • GuruGanesha Singh
  • Gurunam (Joseph Michael Levry)
  • Hari Bhajan Kaur
  • Sada Sat Kaur
  • Snatam Kaur
  • Krishna Das
  • Tina Malia & Shimshai
  • Mantra Girl
  • David Newman (Durga Das)
  • Deva Premal
  • Dave Stringer
  • Jai Uttal
  • Wah!

Plus there's some other stuff, such as that Yoga Chill mix that Mish mentioned, as well as some instructional chanting and Sanskrit CDs. Virtually all of this music I learned about from hearing it played in class. If you want details as to which albums or tracks by these artists I have and would recommend, let me know.

Posted 2007-04-19 7:02 PM (#83784 - in reply to #83750)

Deva Premal's rendition of the Gayatri is very lovely.
I also enjoy the Kirtan of Krishna Das.

Beyond that, Michael Hedges and Pierre Bensusan.
Robert Cray
Matisyahu
Sofia Sunseri
Cat Stevens
Moby
Ella Fitzgerald
Wes Montgomery
Ivy Queen
the list is endless....

Edited by purnayoga 2007-04-19 7:03 PM
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-04-19 7:46 PM (#83788 - in reply to #83784)

Moby is very cool. His song "Porcelain" is probably one of my all time favorites of all my music. Thievery Corporation and Zero 7 are two really cool artists, genre of acid jazz or electronica, I guess.

I understand the reasoning behind not playing music during class, but unless it's during savasana, I've never been bothered by it. But then again, when it's mostly mantra or kirtan that we're listening to during class, I believe it really enhances the experience, subliminally if nothing else.

There are some teachers at my studio that gong during savasana, but I've never liked that much. I understand how it's supposed to relax you due to the primal vibrations, but for me, it's just jarring and disturbing. Just like with the singing bowl, irritating and agitating for me. Oh well.

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-19 11:25 PM (#83799 - in reply to #83750)

In my experience: Certain Music is actually useful during the Yoga Exercises practice or class. This should be the one which can make people focus, feel pleased, without having to focus on the meaning in a distractive way. But, again, for the one who knows the meaning so much that there is no distraction.

As for meditation, music is essential if that is what the meditator using as a tool to concentrate. Otherwise not.

Not having music does not always mean no distraction.

And, having distraction does not always mean no learning. In fact, many times in a class with more learning, there is a distraction due to constant instruction from the instructor.

Yoga Class is not always meant for feeling good or even practice, it is meant many a times for learning.

I personally find music and chanting both extremely conducing during Asana and Meditation Class, Practice.
jonnie
Posted 2007-04-20 12:54 AM (#83803 - in reply to #83750)

Hi Matt,

You have a great play list there (except for Stevie Wonder ). The 10,000 Maniacs are one of my favourite groups but personally I don't play music before, during or after a class.

Jonathon
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-04-20 8:40 AM (#83819 - in reply to #83750)

Jack Johnson is good. Anyone else I would suggest right now has already been mentioned.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-04-20 9:40 AM (#83820 - in reply to #83750)

Expert Yogi

Hey Matt,

Your playlist might be good for a Bikram/Hot yoga class too. 

Me personally, I like music with no lyrics, however, I'm the one who can do my Bikram routine to Celine Dion's Greatest Hits,   Mostly, I prefer no music.  I think there are appropriate times for music and then there are times when it is not appropriate. 

Having that said, my instructor always asks us and we do a vote in class as to whether or not we do music.  No one is afraid to say I don't want to.  If there is one person who say's no music, then no music it is.  Sometimes everybody wants music.  We have to honor those who do not like to or wish to not do music that particular day, to yoga.  I also think that aspect is very important when you have a classroom setting.  Frankly, after looking at your playlist, I think those are nice tunes, but I can also see myself not wanting to listen to that particular selection on some days for my yoga practice.  On those days when I don't want music, that selection, any selection would drive me insane!!!  This is part of the terrain of listening to our bodies...some days we just need the silence.

Posted 2007-04-20 10:51 AM (#83835 - in reply to #83750)

I've had great luck with Sting's 'Songs From The Labyrinth' lately. Different, quiet, short stories between songs. I ripped it to MP3 and played with it to time certain part for where I planned to be in class.
And Sister Cyndi, I took it to a Hot Yoga class where we do the Bikram series in silence except for the music and it was the best Bikram-practice I ever had! Several others said the same thing. The music is vivid, romantic, melancholy, intimate. Combine that with a quiet, darkened, candle lit room and heat and it was pretty near sex
mishoga
Posted 2007-04-20 12:15 PM (#83839 - in reply to #83750)

Expert Yogi

Matt, can you make a itunes playlist and post it here so I can check out the mix in less than an hour.
I really like to hear it. I know most of the songs but can't hear them in my head

Bruce, I'm going to check that out now (Sting)
Very nice soundtracks but I am going to resist the temptation of purchasing them today. I'm being a good girl. My dental work is costing me a small fortune

Edited by mishoga 2007-04-20 12:27 PM
Cyndi
Posted 2007-04-20 4:56 PM (#83854 - in reply to #83835)

Expert Yogi

Well of course you would of have had that experience BB, I heard Sting was really into that Kama Sutra Yoga...so there ya go...he must of had that in mind while making that record huh???

I'll try anything once,

Posted 2007-04-20 5:23 PM (#83857 - in reply to #83854)

You'll try anything once? C'mon, for that sensuous experience, you'd wear that CD out you rascal. Oh, I forgot, throw in a foot massage at the end, and that class is putty in my hands
mishoga
Posted 2007-04-20 5:26 PM (#83858 - in reply to #83750)

Expert Yogi

Like butter!
joscmt
Posted 2007-04-23 9:04 AM (#83982 - in reply to #83750)

There's a CD called Yoga Mela that's pretty cool.. Deva Premal's "Om Namo Bhagavate" is just beautiful... Jack Johnson's "In Between Dreams" CD.... "Jaia Ganesha" by the Dum Dum Project... Keane (their first album)... Oh, I could go on and on...

Hey Mish- how do you share playlists through itunes?? I have a bunch that I would share if I could..
mishoga
Posted 2007-04-23 9:09 AM (#83983 - in reply to #83750)

Expert Yogi

I played this music mix yestreday for a two hour class. All students said it was great! Thought I would share it.

Song first and then Album or Artist title.

Subah- At Ease
Rivergoddess- Maneesh De Moor
68- Anima Sound System
Touareg- Le Duc
Guruh Guruh- Active Yoga 3
Sufani- Gaudi
Piya Re Piya Re- Nusat Fateh Ali Khan
Alone- Ansar
Gaurange Karuna- Rasa
Sinister Grains- Anoushkar Shankar
Om Namah Shivaya- Donna DeLory
Satta- Boozoo Bajou
Dance of the Medicine Buddha- Jonathon Goldman
101 Delight-Hirtan Mix- Rara Avis
Ganapati Om- Donna DeLory
Twameva- Jai Uttal & Ben Leinbach
He Ma Durga- Donna DeLory
Om Namaha Shiva- Sheila Chandra
Bija Mantras- Jai Uttal & Ben Leinbach
Prana (Sahana Vavatu)- Shaman's Dream
Shanti mantra Reprise- Ravi Shankar

Enjoy!!
mishoga
Posted 2007-04-23 5:12 PM (#84009 - in reply to #83982)

Expert Yogi

joscmt - 2007-04-23 9:04 AM

Hey Mish- how do you share playlists through itunes?? I have a bunch that I would share if I could..

If you already have playlists on your itunes (I'm assuming you have itunes on your puter) when you go to highlight a playlist, a little arrow pointing out shows up right next to the playlist. Click that and it will ask you if you would like to publish it to the internet. If that doesn't work try the links either "File" or "edit" on itunes up top. One of those should have the option to publish a imix.
Only pain, is sometimes it doesn't accept all the songs on your playlist. That list of songs I just posted on the last post here, I wanted to publish it but only 9 songs came up so that's why I typed them out. Once you create the imix, then you can get the link to it and paste it here.

Go do it. Share your mixes here

Edited by mishoga 2007-04-23 5:13 PM
joscmt
Posted 2007-04-23 11:21 PM (#84028 - in reply to #83750)

Sweet! Thanks! I'll give it a try!
Kym
Posted 2007-04-24 12:20 PM (#84074 - in reply to #83750)

Mish, how do you find people's mixes? Can I do a search to get random people's yoga mixes?
mishoga
Posted 2007-04-24 12:50 PM (#84076 - in reply to #83750)

Expert Yogi

Open your itunes. The links on the store page, look left for the "Music" link. Click it, look in same spot a little lower for the "imix" link. Click it. In the search bar type in any combination you could think.....
Funky Yoga mix,
Trance
Astanga
Anything. That's how I find some great songs through new age, electronica, and yoga imixes.
Very time consuming though, and addictive too

Posted 2007-04-24 2:31 PM (#84086 - in reply to #83750)

Does anybody else think Krishna Das sounds like Bruce Springstein? I really hear the similarities like from the Boss's Nebraska album.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)