YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

For Yoga Students and TTS
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-13 11:20 AM (#83259)
Subject: For Yoga Students and TTS

Weekly Report from one of the TTs I currently have. Might help or encourage you:

The focus of my practice this week has been to observe Authentic Yoga’s concept of “Keep a Goal!” I decided that my goal that I most wanted to achieve was not that of the physical practice. Since starting the Teacher Training, I have been trying to work more on physical aspects of asanas when I truly wanted to put forth my time and effort on learning chants that are traditional to the culture & religion.

During Week Five, my goal was to learn the Mantras below:

Om Tryambakam Yajamahe
Sugandhim Pushtivardhanam
Urvarukamiva Bandhanan
Mrityor Mukshiya Maamritat

Om Bhoor Bhuvassuvah

Tat Saviturvarenyam

Bhargo Davasya Dheemahi

Dhiyo Yo Nah Prachodayaat

Asato Maa Sadgamaya

Tamaso Maa Jyotir Gamaya

Mrityor Maaa Amrtam Gamaya

Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih

The goal I formulated for these mantras was to learn the mantras for devotional purposes. I learned proper pronunciation from audio versions of slokas. I first only listened, and then repeated, and then said it with the taped version. Now, I am trying to conceptualize and internalize the meaning of the words in my mind as I chant the mantras. Without the memorization, it is difficult to obtain the knowledge and meaning passed down from chanting. I have been trying to now teach my family the mantras.

Week Six

My goal this week was to continue my goal for chanting but specifically to the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali. The prayer to Sage Patanjali is in my mind always. I decided to make the goal be to learn the first 6 lines of the first Chapter. Using the methods taught both in the chanting workshop and the cds, I was able to memorize the first six. Initially, I stumbled on the words but the more I listened to your audio version, the more I was able to repeat along with you. The past two days, I have started to read the meaning as I listen to you chant the sutras. By listening and practicing, I am now beginning to hear the words chanted and Patanjali’s message in the sutras. In addition to the audio cds, the DVDs of the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali are further extending my understanding of the purpose of chanting to preserve the knowledge. When I chant the 6 first six lines, I feel pleasure and a sense of peace.

I can chant 7-12 with the cd and can read it with the book. I am now trying to put 7-12 to memorization as well so that I do not need the audio or book. Thank you for teaching the chanting and philosophy. I understand that just reading the Yoga Sutras and analyzing its meaning is not truly the best way to understand what Patanjali was trying to pass down. The Yoga Sutras and the purpose of doing yoga are more authentic when the sutras are chanted.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jonnie
Posted 2007-04-13 11:36 AM (#83261 - in reply to #83259)
Subject: RE: For Yoga Students and TTS

Thanks for that Neel.

This is how I believe Yoga should be taught.

Jonathon
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)