YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga and Christianity
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

jaikrsna
Posted 2009-03-24 5:25 PM (#114907 - in reply to #114877)
Subject: Re: Yoga and Christianity

u MIGHT also check out thomas merton, diarmuid o'murchu, matthew fox & russill paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Noel
Posted 2009-04-08 9:34 AM (#115257 - in reply to #114877)
Subject: RE: Yoga and Christianity

Try this * Difference Between Religion and Yoga A Compilation From the Talks and Writings of the Mother [Used]
http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?author=&title=Difference+Between+Religion+and+Yoga&lang=en&submit=Begin+search&new_used=*&destination=us¤cy=USD&mode=basic&st=sr&ac=qr
stela
Posted 2010-05-28 5:49 AM (#123192 - in reply to #83174)

I am not so experienced to provide guidance or information here in fact i got too much info for my personal use. Thank you all guys for sharing such a nice information.
mikel986
Posted 2010-08-11 8:19 PM (#124625 - in reply to #83215)

there are hindu yogis who believe that, at some point in his life, jesus christ travelled to india...

Posted 2010-08-12 12:25 PM (#124634 - in reply to #124625)

I wonder what language he would have spoken in India?

svtaylor
Posted 2010-08-19 1:53 PM (#124729 - in reply to #83174)

Simply stated, yoga can be used as a tool to better know your personal spirituality, regardless of dogma. Think of it as fuel you put in your spiritual car. We all drive different models of cars, but they all need fuel.

Steve
Yoga Learning Center - Yoga Online
mikel986
Posted 2010-08-23 5:54 PM (#124780 - in reply to #124634)

l'm no expert on the subject but also believe that in search for universal consciousness/self-realization, the less said the better...
jimcarter
Posted 2011-04-21 1:43 PM (#208195 - in reply to #83174)

I think it is a place in the bible that by their works you shall know them. If you think it's a positive improvement, then continuing doing it. If not, stop. Think about the people that are in your current yoga studio, and how yoga impacts their lives.

For the record buddha was not a god, and never claimed to be, therefore any representations of him are no more idols than statues of the pope.
vanisa71
Posted 2011-04-27 3:15 AM (#208232 - in reply to #83174)

New User

Hi,
Many people today (including some Christians) are taking up yoga practice. We'll later consider whether yoga philosophy can truly be separated from yoga practice, but we must first establish that there are crucial doctrinal differences between yoga and Christianity. Let's briefly look at just a few of these.
Yoga and Christianity have very different concepts of God. As previously stated, the goal of yoga is to experience union with "God." But what do yogis mean when they speak of "God," or Brahman? Exactly what are we being encouraged to "unite" with? Most yogis conceive of "God" as an impersonal, spiritual substance, coextensive with all of reality. This doctrine is called pantheism, the view that everything is "God." It differs markedly from the theism of biblical Christianity. In the Bible, God reveals Himself as the personal Creator of the universe. God is the Creator; the universe, His creation. The Bible maintains a careful distinction between the two.
A second difference between yoga and Christianity concerns their views of man. Since yoga philosophy teaches that everything is "God," it necessarily follows that man, too, is "God." Christianity, however, makes a clear distinction between God and man. God is the Creator; man is one of His creatures. Of course man is certainly unique, for unlike the animals he was created in the image of God. Nevertheless, Christianity clearly differs from yoga in its unqualified insistence that God and man are distinct.
Thank you.
Elizabeth_I
Posted 2011-05-16 5:21 AM (#208379 - in reply to #83174)

I heard that Christianity disapproved of yoga as a lifestyle, but I don't care actually... I exercise it anyway.

Edited by Elizabeth_I 2011-05-16 5:23 AM
ashwin4222
Posted 2011-06-22 12:56 AM (#208756 - in reply to #83174)

I would like to mention here there is nothing Christian or Hindu or any other religion about yoga.. just like gym.. you work out. you get fit.

Ashwin
www.artofliving.org/what-is-yoga
jpg
Posted 2011-06-22 2:35 PM (#208757 - in reply to #208756)

Dictionary definition of YOGA:
1capitalized : a Hindu theistic philosophy teaching the suppression of all activity of body, mind, and will in order that the self may realize its distinction from them and attain liberation
2: a system of exercises for attaining bodily or mental control and well-being

Whatever your linguistic source, Yoga (capital Y) is a part of Hinduism and the Hindu scriptures Bhagavad Gita etc. It is in fundamental conflict with the Jewish, Christian and Islamic faiths. On the other hand, yoga (as in asana, pranayama and to a certain extent meditation) is a system of physical and mental exercises devoid of any philosophy or religion. The Yoga Sutras are a religious text and have absolutely nothing to do with postural yoga. The Hindu philosophical and religious part of Yoga is often combined with New Age philosophies and other influences which are then assumed to be part of the yoga exercise part. They are actually separated by many centuries and are philosophically opposed to each other. Yoga in the Yoga Sutras is against activity of the mind and body. The word "asana" as used in the YS literally means "seat", as in sitting in meditation, not any kind of exercise or stretching.

Physical and mental exercises commonly called yoga (lower case y) today were developed in the early 1900's and are only related to Hinduism in that they were mainly developed by people that happened to be Hindu. Is baseball "Christian" because it was started by Christians and mainly played by Christians?

If you are actually interested in where modern postural yoga comes from, please read "Yoga Body" by Mark Singleton, or at least check it out on amazon.com or somewhere.

You can do yoga no matter what your religion or philosophies, just like you don't need to be a Taoist or Confucianist to practice tai chi. Once you start getting into Yoga philosophy, you start getting into Hindu religion and philosophy, as they are the same (except for the New Age additions to Hindu philosophy commonly considered part of Yoga philosophy).

Edited by jpg 2011-06-22 2:42 PM
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)