YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1938 B.K.S. Iyengar film
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

Krisita
Posted 2007-04-12 4:37 PM (#83170)
Subject: 1938 B.K.S. Iyengar film

During my web surfing, I came across this stunning footage of Iyengar...enjoy

http://www.esogarden.com/index.php?/weblog/1938_practice_with_bks_iyengar_and_krishnamacharya/

Edited by Krisita 2007-04-12 4:37 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick
Posted 2007-04-12 4:44 PM (#83172 - in reply to #83170)
Subject: RE: 1938 B.K.S. Iyengar film

Hi there,
Yes, we showed that at Yoga for Peace, a workshop I taught at, assisting Danny Paradise and about 100 students It's a great slice of history.

Nick
Krisita
Posted 2007-04-12 5:20 PM (#83176 - in reply to #83170)

Ok, bear with me, I’m learning. I’m just trying to piece this together. The video shows B.K.S. Iyengar performing an Ashtanga vinyasa. Is this because Iyengar’s teacher?? was Krishnamacharya who taught Iyengar Ashtanga, and later Iyengar developed his method. I’ve taken both Iyengar and Ashtanga classes, and they were so different, how did Iyengar develop his method?
tourist
Posted 2007-04-12 7:21 PM (#83190 - in reply to #83176)

Expert Yogi

There is a lot of information about all this but I am a slow typer so I won't give the whole thing

BKS was sent to teach across the country from his guru when he was only about 16. He really didn't know a lot at the time and had to learn more about the poses, so he studied on his own and broke down the poses bit by bit until he felt he understood them better. I am sure he taught vinyasa at that time as he was sent to teach young men. Over time he began to find that the vinyasa and complex poses just didn't work for everyone all the time. I wonder if some of this came to him as he began to teach more women, who at that time would not have had any athletic background? This is my own thought - I haven't read it anywhere... but he had to find ways to get typical bodies into the poses deeply enough to get the benefits. At first he supported them himself and later developed props both so he himself could stay in the poses longer to study them more and to help his students.
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-04-12 9:40 PM (#83205 - in reply to #83190)

Expert Yogi

Well, I'm not sure I would describe it as "Iyengar was taught Ashtanga by Krishnamacharya". He is shown practicing jumpings in that footage, and jumpings became the entirity of the Jois Ashtanga practice. Iyengar also practiced and taught jumpings while he was younger, but his teaching moved away from that over time. 

One article I read on Krishnamacharya describes his teaching as evolving over the years and depending upon whom he was teaching. It was said that he focused on jumpings during a period when he was mainly teaching young men (teenagers or so, I think). At other times he taught other styles to other audiences.

... bg

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-13 12:21 AM (#83211 - in reply to #83170)

If anyone wants this video from me, I may be able to give it to then. So, let me know. I am not promising as I shall have to check on it first.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-13 12:25 AM (#83212 - in reply to #83170)

Oops: I did not write my response. That performance can not be called Vinyasa as a complete sequence. Of course parts are there. But, that is true in any style. For example, if you go to my class, or even Bikram Class, you shall find something common. Does not mean there are no other things than the video or particular styles.

It is obvious that BKS Iyengar guruji did more therapeutic work than that found in Ashtanga Yoga Style (not Ashtanga Yoga of Classical Yoga.) And, I am sure that Ashtanga Yoga is NOT suitable for everyone because

Every is NOT suitable for Ashtanga. In fact 99 percent of those who practice it are not suitable for it.

And, Ashtanga Yoga is NOT greatly therapeutic like Iyengar Style exercise are. Ashtanga is more suitable for those who are ready for it. And, it does provide much more workout than any other style, including Olympic Level Gymnastics.

theyoginme
Posted 2008-09-01 12:06 AM (#110361 - in reply to #83170)

I remember some footage from Guruji that stated that he performed these "jumpings" for demonstration purposes. Its a question I have been dying to ask him. One of these days I will when I am back at RIMYI.. I just found this forum.. this is great to read all these great posts. I write a blog called theyoginme.blogspot.com Please come visit sometime.

Namaste

The Yogi

theyoginme.blogspot.com
ilchileesedona
Posted 2014-09-30 11:05 PM (#211702 - in reply to #83170)
Subject: Re: 1938 B.K.S. Iyengar film

Veteran

Thanks for the link buddy gonna check this out later.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)