YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Teacher certification?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

yogami
Posted 2007-04-11 6:44 PM (#83059)
Subject: Teacher certification?

Do you need to be certified to teach yoga? If so, does anyone know any certification courses in the Chicago area or northern suberubs? Thanks for your help.
-yogami
Top of the page Bottom of the page
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-04-11 6:52 PM (#83061 - in reply to #83059)
Subject: RE: Teacher certification?

Try your search here, at Yoga Alliance's website. Good luck. 
shalamOM
Posted 2007-04-14 12:16 PM (#83350 - in reply to #83059)

Certifications are expensive and silly...A teacher who is committed to svadyaya will go beyond these course requirements. They are just a money making scam!

Posted 2007-04-14 1:43 PM (#83355 - in reply to #83350)

ShalamOM, I can't agree with you terming certs silly. In modern times, a potential teacher needs to be able to present some credentials to a) at least have some basic understanding of what to teach and do it safely, b) have a generally recognized blessing that the teacher probably isn't a sociopath, and c) to secure a job representing the employer fairly to the clientele and/or in order to secure financial backing if wishing to strike out on his/her own.

As far as being expensive, that's relative. My official YA schooling cost were returned during my first professional teaching gig. My undergrad education took 4 years of sweating in steel mills to pay for.
tourist
Posted 2007-04-14 4:25 PM (#83365 - in reply to #83355)

Expert Yogi

I will echo that Bruce, though I will say that there do seem to be schools that charge a lot of money for not so much "education." I think the biggest benefit of a teacher training is to be observed and corrected by a more (preferably much more) experienced teacher. I also prefer trainings that are done over a period of time rather than a few weeks (we won't discuss one weekend trainings....) because it gives the trainee a chance to learn, grow and mature while still under a level of supervision. No, you don't "need" to be certified to teach and yes, it is possible to self educate to a place where you are competent teacher. But I feel that with the availability of great teachers from several revered lineages, it is silly not to take advantage of it.
shalamOM
Posted 2007-04-14 8:26 PM (#83392 - in reply to #83059)

Well I agree that you need to present credentials which is why I went and got all my certs, but I still think they are silly. I've learned so much more from my own readings. What I don't get from readings, I could have gotten from just taking a class with a very senior teacher and asking questions after class. I should add that the teacher training program I was in is considered one of the best in the US too! Most of the material was really extremely basic, more for a beginning student rather than for a beginning teacher...It was a real insult to our intelligence(s). They actually had to tell students in the teacher training program what and where the bandhas are; Shouldn't people who are about to become teachers already know that?!

Edited by shalamOM 2007-04-14 8:30 PM

Posted 2007-04-14 8:39 PM (#83397 - in reply to #83059)

teacher trainings, their money-making scam-ness, and their silliness are relative.

technically, i have no certification. i have never paid for nor taken a teacher training program. i have seen programs that are good, others that are bad. i have seen some that are a purely money-making venture, and others that are really dedicated to helping students become teachers (as well as becoming better students).

my training was via apprenticeship. for my own part, i think that this is the best way to become a teacher. for 8 years, i worked intimately with the teachers that i had--taking classes, assisting classes, observing classes, asking questions, reading and studying, doing my own home practice and self-study. i worked at their studios, cleaned and operated those studios, answered phones, checked the mail, talked to students as they came through the door, learned to make them feel welcome. it was a joyous and intensive experience. it was far more than 200 or 500 hours of training.

but, this isn't for everyone, because not everyone wants to do this as a full-time profession/lifestyle. and that's ok. sometimes it's better to take a training, and sometimes it's better to take no training. for example, one of my students--who has not apprenticed or taken any teacher training--teaches for free at her church. she's been practicing yoga for 5 years with me, is a good student, and together we came up with a simple sequence that she can teach each week, for free, at her church. beyond this, she has no ambition to be a teacher, and thus she really doesn't need any qualifications. another student teaches at her workplace, and yet another volunteers at her mother's retirement community. all of these are fine for not having 'credentials.'

to me, credentials are more important when the teacher is looking for specific kinds of employment. if the teacher wants to work in a gym, community center, or yoga studio--then it is important that the teacher has whatever credentials the employer requires.

and for those who want to do this professionally, full time, the original credentials are really just the most basic thing--we spend a lifetime studying yoga and learning about the process.

Posted 2007-04-14 8:44 PM (#83398 - in reply to #83392)

OK Jessica, you sem to have a 'tude. Not being insulting, speaking from experience as I had one too--know more than anybody, why should I change my ideas/thoughts/perception, things of that ilk. Took me several years to let go of that and be able to seperate the wheat from the chaff from people who were wiser than me.
One of the most pragmatic ideas I ever heard was, "Only heed the advice of people who are doing better than you." To that end, if there's a yoga teacher training recognized by YA, perhaps they have their stuff together. If you were smarter than them, you'd have your own teacher training ripping off others. Again, not being a wisea$$, just something to consider--I do all the time.
shalamOM
Posted 2007-04-14 8:51 PM (#83399 - in reply to #83398)

Bruce - 2007-04-14 8:44 PM
If you were smarter than them, you'd have your own teacher training ripping off others.

Naw, I practice asteya and could never do that without a guilty conscience.

Posted 2007-04-14 9:04 PM (#83404 - in reply to #83059)

i lead teacher training without a guilty conscience.

first, i have my apprenticeships. students can either do as i did (work for me in various ways which is an energetic exchange) or they can opt to pay for hours of training. most are more comfortable with this second method.

second, i have workshops that i offer for teacher training credit. these are for those students who want to become teachers, who have experience with yoga (with me or with other teachers) and who want to take training in a less 'intensive' way than apprenticing. it's particularly good for people who are busy and/or do not live near me. it's also good for them to be able to combine teacher training and an adventure/vacation opportunity. i offer opportunities for work study (usually in association with the hosting studio, within their guidelines and without going into the red), and students pay for this.

what i offer is high quality instruction, the opportunity for more education and insight, and the joy of the experience of training in a group setting. people learn from and feed from each other's energy and experience. they really seem to enjoy it.

training teachers--whether via apprenticeship or workshops--takes a lot of personal time and energy on my part. i'm available to answer their questions, encourage their process, and provide access to mentors (including myself) and methods of finding and utilizing their own voice as a teacher. this is a great deal of work--and it is part of the total work that i do as a yoga teacher (i not only teach beginners, but i teach experienced practitioners to be teachers, and i encourage teachers to become better teachers).

this is part of my yoga practice as a teacher. i find it to be very rewarding personally and spiritually, as well as communally (for the broader community). i also find that my time and energy is valuable. if i'm willing to charge for a class (ie, i get paid to teach a regular yoga class, which is also very energetically and personally valuable), why wouldn't i be willing to charge for my time teaching another person how to teach?

Posted 2007-04-14 9:32 PM (#83409 - in reply to #83404)

ZB--here you are in NZ in the glorious fall and still taking time to impart words of wisdom...stop it! Get out there and become a Kiwi!

Posted 2007-04-14 9:44 PM (#83413 - in reply to #83059)

can't--working the desk today. it's part of the job. i also redid the bulletin boards, learned the POS system, added in some people to the client list system. and decided to pop on line.
Andre
Posted 2007-10-01 11:37 PM (#97262 - in reply to #83059)

Extreme Veteran

I have considered getting certified, because one idea I have is to teach hot yoga to athletes at the local university. I'm pretty sure they'd want some kind of certification. I'd also like to teach kids, or a parent/child class. This would be more informal, but I'm guessing where ever I was to get space to do it, they would want some kind of certification.

Is there a basic governing body that does certifications?
Do insurance companies, like in a heath club setting, look of a certain type of instructor?
Do places have requirements on the number of hours, 200, 500?

I've never been huge on the "piece of paper" approach to learning. But I can see it's merit depending on what I do. I'd love to hear some people's experiences or thoughts on certification.

Posted 2007-10-02 9:03 AM (#97275 - in reply to #97262)

Is there a basic governing body that does certifications?

this depends upon where you live and what sorts of governing bodies there may be. it can vary state-to-state and country-to-country. many countries do not have 'governing bodies' but do have professional associations that outline guidelines of what they expect their members to have before joining.

in the US, there is Yoga Alliance (yogaalliance.com). internationally, there is the International Yoga Teacher's Association (iyta.com, i believe). these organizations are 'opt in' and you have an annual dues to maintain registry with them. they have guidelines for teacher trainings and for teachers that are worth looking into. Most places in the US recognize YA registration.

Do insurance companies, like in a heath club setting, look of a certain type of instructor?

yes. in a health club setting, they're typically looking for some sort of certification, such as the ACE certification for group fitness instructors. this is a simple certification that is a general aerobics certification that also offers the barest minimum of yoga training (a couple of hours at most, and it's optional). their focus is largely on general fitness.

many gyms are now recognizing that yoga is not like other group fitness classes and requiring certification in yoga that meets the Yoga Alliance standards. many yoga teachers and practitioners do not consider the ACE certification as valid for a yoga teacher, but the gyms insurance company does.

organizations like Yoga Alliance offer liability insurance options for yoga teachers. you can also add it to other types of insurance that you may have--such as your home owners insurance (personally, i have separate liability insurance through yoga alliance). i carry my own because i not only work in gyms and wellness centers, but also independently and in yoga studios. the studios often do not "cover" their independent contractors in their insurance, it's expected that they will be covered independently (and i provide 'certificates' of insurance).

Do places have requirements on the number of hours, 200, 500?

these are the basic two levels of training through Yoga Alliance. Not all places of employment seek this. For some, the ACE certification (which is a book and a test in group fitness and/or personal training) is enough. for others, a single weekend of specific training--such as a Yoga Fit level 1 training--is enough. for others, one must at least meet the YA requirements whether through one school or many. and for others, you must meet and/or exceed the YA requirements.

so, you'd really have to ask and see what the given employer wants.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-02 9:49 AM (#97278 - in reply to #83059)

yogami - 2007-04-11 6:44 PM

Do you need to be certified to teach yoga?

===> NOT AT ALL. ACTUALLY, THE CERTIFICATION WORD MUST BE REMOVED AND IT SHOULD CALLED TEACHER TRAIINING. IN TEACHER TRAINING YOU LEARN TECHNIQUES OF TEACHING YOGA FROM A TEACHER OR MANY A TEACHERS OF YOUR CHOICE. THERE IS NOTHING TO CERTIFY EXCEPT THAT YOU TOOK SUCH A TRAINING. AND, GOVT. IS COMPLETELY INELIGIBLE TO OFFER SUCH A CERTIFICATE.

If so, does anyone know any certification courses in the Chicago area or northern suberubs?

===> YES THERE ARE HUNDREDS. THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT. YOU ATTEND SEVERAL CLASSES, WHICH YOU MUST HAVE DONE ALREADY IF YOU ARE ASKING THIS QUESTION. GO TO THE TEACHERS WHOM YOU LIKE AND LEARN FROM THEM HOW TO TEACH. IF YOU WISH YOU CAN ASK THEM WHETHER THEY CAN GIVE A DOCUMENT SAYING THAT YOU LEARNT FROM THEM. THAT IS THE REAL TEACHER TRAINING. TEACHER CERTIFICATION DOES NOT MEAN GOING TO ONE INSTITUTE. IT IS NOT AS SIMPLE OR STANDARD AS PHYSICS, CHEMISTRY, ETC.

Thanks for your help.

===> I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST, I MEAN THE BEST TEACHER TRAINING!

-yogami
Andre
Posted 2007-10-02 10:37 AM (#97286 - in reply to #83059)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks, Zoe... that's the kind of info I was looking for. Not sure when or if this will happen, but I'm looking into various options. As I take more classes (just for my own exploration), it would be nice if I could use some of them for possible certification down the road.
Kym
Posted 2007-10-02 5:41 PM (#97323 - in reply to #83059)

www.yogafit.com
roypotter
Posted 2011-06-18 2:19 PM (#208720 - in reply to #83059)

Regular

You don’t have to be a certified yoga instructor to teach yoga. There are no rules and regulations out there that requires it. However, it would be better if you got some training because yoga is not just about poses. It is about controlling your breath, controlling your motion and working the body up to a state when it is ready for meditation.

Getting lesson on teaching will help you understand the following:

a. Teething troubles of the yoga poses,
b. how to make use of proper language to guide your students
c. how to alter the poses so that the students don’t get hurt – or if you have students with medical conditions.
d. adjust your students so they get the complete benefits of the pose
e. the sequence of the poses
f. adjust your class for beginners/intermediate/advanced.
g. the meaning of the poses and the meaning of the phrases used.
yoga_training
Posted 2011-06-28 1:30 AM (#208795 - in reply to #83059)
Subject: Re: Teacher certification?

Yes, you do need to be certified to teach yoga and you should make sure it is a Yoga Alliance school unless you want to teach Bikram.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)