YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kundalini Yoga first experienc
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Kundalini YogaMessage format

asananow
Posted 2008-03-25 6:35 AM (#105456 - in reply to #84556)
Subject: RE: Kundalini Yoga first exper

In West, however, Turban wearing is by that ladies choice, but additionally to symbolize the Kundalini Yoga connection or even I may say vows, whereas it is connection with Sikhism.

Jumping in on an old thread...I don't know this first-hand but have heard that the turban is worn by Kundalini yogi and yoginis to keep the energy from escaping through their heads.  This may be more symbolic than physical.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
joshi
Posted 2009-01-27 9:33 PM (#113212 - in reply to #82914)
Subject: Re: Kundalini Yoga first experienc

Hi,

Ive been doing kundalini yoga for 1/2 year now. It's not so much the physical problems that I have had. But rather the more major life changing ones. Like partner, job, location changes. Plus getting depressed and working through that.

During the practice itself, the most experience is a light tingling sensation through out the body. Otherwise its usually dizzyness and a slight quezyness like you've just drank some slightly off milk. I do have a teacher though. Which really helps. My teacher has many great techniques which make the symptoms much more bearable. And also helps to make really good habits, as i'm constantly being corrected of my breathing and posture. I'll learn...

On a side note I've also heard of turban wearing for the same reason of keeping the energy from escaping through the heads. Don't know for sure though.

Peace.

Posted 2009-01-28 12:35 AM (#113214 - in reply to #113212)

Kundalini yoga has absolutely nothing to do with the Sikh religion. Yogi Bhajan, an American cult leader of Indian origin, started a cult that mixed parts of the Sikh religion with Kundalini yoga. He was famous for both the multitude of sexual relations with young female followers and his irregular financial dealings. Most Sikh people do not consider him part of their faith.

Sikh MEN wear a turban because it is part of the 5 K's that every devout Sikh follows. The 5 K's for men (only) are:
Kesh – long and uncut hair and a turban to protect the hair on the head.
Kanga – small comb to be used twice daily to keep the hair in clean and healthy condition.
Kaccha – underwear in the form of shorts to exercise self-control.
Kara – a steel slave bangle on the dominant arm to remind the Sikh to always remember the Guru (founder of Sikhism) before undertaking any action.
Kirpan – a short, often dagger-sized sword to remind the Sikh that he is to defend against repression of the weak.

Sikhs are against any form of the occult and would therefore be against kundalini yoga, which is an occult Hindu practice. Although Sikhs meditate, they do not (as a general rule) practice yoga. Sikh practices are simple, emphasizing a disciplined life engaged in meditation on God's name, living a honest life as a house-holder and sharing what one has with the community. This translates into hard work, honest living, love of fellow humans and through them service to God. This way of life is said to have been stripped of complications, myths, jargon, rituals and exploitation of man by man in the name of religion. The Sikh religion was started in the Punjab, India in the 1500's to bridge the Moslem and Hindu faiths and stop the violence between these two faiths that unfortunately continues to this day.

Edited by jimg 2009-01-28 12:57 AM
terrapin
Posted 2009-03-07 11:25 PM (#114321 - in reply to #113214)

jimg - 2009-01-28 12:35 AM

Kundalini yoga has absolutely nothing to do with the Sikh religion. Yogi Bhajan, an American cult leader of Indian origin, started a cult that mixed parts of the Sikh religion with Kundalini yoga. He was famous for both the multitude of sexual relations with young female followers and his irregular financial dealings. Most Sikh people do not consider him part of their faith.

Sikh MEN wear a turban because it is part of the 5 K's that every devout Sikh follows. The 5 K's for men (only) are:
Kesh – long and uncut hair and a turban to protect the hair on the head.
Kanga – small comb to be used twice daily to keep the hair in clean and healthy condition.
Kaccha – underwear in the form of shorts to exercise self-control.
Kara – a steel slave bangle on the dominant arm to remind the Sikh to always remember the Guru (founder of Sikhism) before undertaking any action.
Kirpan – a short, often dagger-sized sword to remind the Sikh that he is to defend against repression of the weak.

Sikhs are against any form of the occult and would therefore be against kundalini yoga, which is an occult Hindu practice. Although Sikhs meditate, they do not (as a general rule) practice yoga. Sikh practices are simple, emphasizing a disciplined life engaged in meditation on God's name, living a honest life as a house-holder and sharing what one has with the community. This translates into hard work, honest living, love of fellow humans and through them service to God. This way of life is said to have been stripped of complications, myths, jargon, rituals and exploitation of man by man in the name of religion. The Sikh religion was started in the Punjab, India in the 1500's to bridge the Moslem and Hindu faiths and stop the violence between these two faiths that unfortunately continues to this day.

WGJKK WGJKF,

As a Sikh I feel I have to set the record straight on this. Gurmukh wears a Dastaar because she is has taken Amrit and adheres to the Amrit Reht which is is a code of conduct for any Sikh who wishes to be baptized into the Khalsa Panth, including females; because Sikhism does not accept Caste or Gender discrimination. If a woman wished to take Amrit then they accept the guidelines that were set by Guru Gobind Singh, our Tenth Guru. Covering of the head was not a requiremnt before Guru Ji, but to be a part of the Khalsa Panth it is. 3Ho and Sikhism are often blurred but not the same.

The 5 K's are not only for men, but for woman as well. Most Sikhs, even if they trim thier hair, often wear a Kara on their wrist, but if Amrit is taken then there is no option. Sorry ladies, no shaving legs or plucking allowed either!

Many Sikh's choose to not wear Dastaar and to trim in order to fit in Western culture, and this is a touchy subject for the Sikh Diaspora and will not be remedied on this forum. This is each persons choice, of how they will worship and what precepts one want's to follow; and that is why Amrit was first administered, to see who's convictions were strong enough to lay there head down to the Guru. It is a choice not to be tsaken lightly. Many woman proudly adorned Dastaars and accounts can be read in the Sikh stories of the Dastaared woman who fought alongside their men in battle when gold and treasure were the reward for bringing back a Sikh's head...

So typically , no we don't often see Punjabi Sikh women wearing Dastaars these days in the U.S.. My question then are they Armritdari?

Also without getting into the he said, she said game, we only have stories of what went on with Yogi Bhajan. These accusers also have back stories. The 60's were a turbulent time with lot's of drugs and disfunction to go round. Runaways, drugged out youth were often the first followers of these teaches. Lot's of dysfunction, much like the the dysfunction that surround the groupie circles in music, and believe it some woman are attracted to there teachers. A common happening with anyone that is in authority. Feelings get hurt, jealosy and bang add in some unstability due to being a runaway or having unresolved issues with parents, relationships, drugs or whatever. Remember the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi was discredited by John Lennon much the same way, until before his passing George saddened by not setting the record strait made ammends with the Maharishi and McCarntey also went on record that these were untrueths. Ironic that McCartney's ex-wife made alligations against him. Ironic? My point is that if we were not there then we just don't have facts to substantiate an alligation. It's wreckless and irresponsable. And alligations many times have motive. No one really knows, for every story there is a story about them. BUT we can choose to devalue anything we may have learned or that this man gave us because we heard or read a story. Sure, We could do that. However I've learned that by doing so we spite ourseves, deprive ourselves and become cynical.

In regards to Yogi Bhajan, I've never heard anyone in my Panth say anything bad about him and there are no Gora, or white Sikhs worshipping there. Understand , he is not a Guru. That is a label others may tag on him but, the lectures I have heard I've never heard anything that remotely sets him up as anything such as a Guru, but a Yoga Teacher that brought Sikh Dharma to the West. Nothing more , nothing less. Not a Guru in the Sikh lineage, which is impossible anyway. Yoga and Sikhism are two seperate things Yogi Bhajan brought here, and can be taken seperately.

Guru Nanak did not invent the "Sikhism" to end fueding of the Hindu and Muslum cultures or to synthesesize them. Guru Ji looked for common threads that are Universal to all people period and to exclude the nonsense that prevailed such as Rituals, superstitions, castes and discrimination etc. The SGGS is over 1400 pages and cannot even be scratched upon. Learning Gurbani is the best way.

One last thing, Yoga as an exercise, to clear the mind and strenthen the body is documented by the Sikh Guru's. Yoga done to garner power is not. Again these distinctions have to be made by way of definition of the terms they are describing and by people of Sikh faith; and is usually done be the individual, however the Sikh Reht does not prohibit Yoga as is practised my us, non Sadhu's.

Now, this thread was supposed to be a query on Kundalini experiences...

Sat Nam

tourist
Posted 2009-03-08 12:04 PM (#114333 - in reply to #114321)

Expert Yogi

Thanks terrapin. That was very informative! I didn't know that Sikhs don't follow the caste system. The East Indian community where I grew up was largely Punjabi Sikh, though I did not understand that as a child, for course. I'm sure the adults around me were pretty ignorant of it as well. I always admired the men's turbans, the women's beautifully coloured clothes and the quiet dignity and strength they seemed to have. Funny impressions a child retains into adulthood!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)