YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Breating/meditation questions
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

One
Posted 2007-04-07 8:16 PM (#82662)
Subject: Breating/meditation questions

Good day,

Here is my challenge regarding breathing and meditation. I have been told that diaphramatic breathing (breathing with your stomach) is more beneficial that chest breathing. I have also been told that sitting up straight when meditating is more beneficial than slouching. So have you ever noticed that when you are sitting up perfectly straight that you cant breath fully with your belly? When slouching, you can extend your belly pretty far. When sitting up straight, it's like you are forced to 'chest breath'. I have asked a couple friend to try this and, they to, agree with me, so I know it's not just me. How do you folk breath when meditating? I sure would appreciate some of your wisdom.

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
OptiMystic
Posted 2007-04-07 9:52 PM (#82667 - in reply to #82662)
Subject: RE: Breating/meditation questions

I don't concur with your observation at all. With a straight spine and shoulders back, I find it easier to belly breath. Slouched forward my gut compresses and it is harder to belly breath.
One
Posted 2007-04-09 10:52 AM (#82821 - in reply to #82662)
Subject: RE: Breating/meditation questi

Interesting. Perhaps it's just me! (and the two other friends I had try it). For me, if I go into a full slouch, I agree with you that my stomach feel compresses. But a partial slouch seems to be the best for belly breathing.

When my back is perfectly straight with my shoulders back, I can only expand my belly very very little. If I slouch forward even slightly, it allows my belly to be able to expand quite a bit when I inhale. What's interesting is that when I'm laying on my back I can belly breath perfectly.

Anyone else viewing this thread like to share their experience? Just to remind you that I'm trying to do diaphramatic breathing where you expand the belly on the inhale and contract your belly on the exhale.

Anyone know of a good book or site that deals with breath work while meditating. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
jonnie
Posted 2007-04-09 12:02 PM (#82829 - in reply to #82662)

Hi One,

Welcome to the forum.

When meditating on the breath, ideally you should avoid controlling the breath and simply observe it.

Diaphramatic breathing does not actually involve breathing with your stomach (if you check anatomy books you will see that the diaphram is above the stomach), it's more about expanding the rib cage sideways to ensure maximum expansion of the lungs.

I hope that helps.

Jonathon
One
Posted 2007-04-10 9:37 PM (#82963 - in reply to #82662)

That cleared something up that I was confused about. I thought diaphragmatic breathing and belly breathing were the same thing. That explains alot. It's the belly breathing I cant do with perfect posture. The diaphragmatic breathing with good posture is definitely do-able.

Thanks!
Krisita
Posted 2007-04-10 11:10 PM (#82971 - in reply to #82662)

The “Insight Meditation” program by Salzberg and Goldstein offers an excellent introduction and foundation to meditation. Lesson One specifically discusses posture and breath. Several years ago a friend recommended The Breathing Book by Donna Farhi. I enjoyed the anatomical discussion regarding breathing, though I’ve spoken to others who really did not receive the book that well. I’d recommend looking through it at a book store to see if it appeals to you. Yoga: The Iyengar Way by Mira and Mehta is an excellent all around reference to the Iyengar practice, and there is an extensive section on Pranayama.

Namaste

Kris
tourist
Posted 2007-04-11 10:45 AM (#83022 - in reply to #82971)

Expert Yogi

Just to clarify - all breathing is "diaphragmatic". If your diaphragm doesn't move, you don't breathe as a general rule. Now don't nitpick and tell me about the intercostals etc. All but the most gifted yogis must rely on the diaphragm to breathe.
OptiMystic
Posted 2007-04-11 12:02 PM (#83027 - in reply to #82662)

Yes, the diaghram is pretty much always involved. I think a lot of this is semantics; I think of what jonnie describes as chest breating beause the chest is what moves when you expand by moving the rib cage. If the belly moves down and/or out, I think of it as belly breathing. During meditation, tend to breathe deep and have some movement of the chest and belly.
jonnie
Posted 2007-04-11 1:02 PM (#83032 - in reply to #83022)

tourist - 2007-04-12 6:45 PM

Just to clarify - all breathing is "diaphragmatic". If your diaphragm doesn't move, you don't breathe as a general rule. Now don't nitpick and tell me about the intercostals etc. All but the most gifted yogis must rely on the diaphragm to breathe.

....but what about the intercostals etc
Nick
Posted 2007-04-11 6:19 PM (#83056 - in reply to #83022)

tourist - 2007-04-11 3:45 PM

And were you referring to the external, inner, or innermost intercostals

Nick
tourist
Posted 2007-04-11 8:00 PM (#83065 - in reply to #83056)

Expert Yogi

One
Posted 2007-04-15 10:48 AM (#83441 - in reply to #82662)

What about a pause between breaths? Specifically after the exhale. I tend to get more relaxed because my breathing gets more into a rythem without the pause. I know some will say "Just breath naturally". I'm just trying to figure out what "natural breathing" is.
One
Posted 2007-04-23 9:27 PM (#84019 - in reply to #82662)

Anybody have any input on whether it's more natural to pause in-between breaths when meditating or not to have a pause? or is it just a matter of preference?
Bob
Posted 2007-05-10 3:36 AM (#85788 - in reply to #82662)

In deep meditation, breathing almost disappears. Do not think about breathing. Merge "observer" with infinity or emptiness.
jonnie
Posted 2007-05-10 6:42 AM (#85800 - in reply to #84019)

One - 2007-04-24 5:27 AM

Anybody have any input on whether it's more natural to pause in-between breaths when meditating or not to have a pause? or is it just a matter of preference?

In pranayama we control the breath. In meditation, we may observe the breath (depending on the type of practise) but we don't control it.

Just let the breath happen naturally, including the pause.

Jonathon
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-10 9:02 AM (#85816 - in reply to #85800)

jonnie - 2007-05-10 6:42 AM

One - 2007-04-24 5:27 AM

In pranayama we control the breath. In meditation, we may observe the breath (depending on the type of practise) but we don't control it.

Just let the breath happen naturally, including the pause.

Jonathon

Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jonnie
Posted 2007-05-10 9:15 AM (#85820 - in reply to #82662)

Thankyou
Nidlo
Posted 2009-03-27 12:49 PM (#114991 - in reply to #82662)
Subject: Re: Breating/meditation questions

I have noticed, through my meditation, that the breath shouldn't push the belly nor the chest out significantly. I have found a deep spot, somewhere between my belly and my chest. If I relax, this spot seems to pull the air into my lungs by it self. Also it seems to push the air out by itself. I guess this is my natural breathing.

The spot seems to be located at the same place in my body, from which a bubbling feeling of happiness comes from.

Also, as people already have said; if you are not doing a breathing exercise, don't mind it during you practise. If you don't mind the breathing, the meditation will make it natural after a while.
Miriam
Posted 2009-04-25 11:56 PM (#115549 - in reply to #82662)
Subject: Re: Breating/meditation questions

I took a Tibetan Breathing workshop last year, where we actually practiced breathing without activating the diaphragm. Very interesting. But I concur with what optimystic wrote - that when you're slouched, there's more pressure on your stomach which makes it harder to do belly breathing.
Namaste,
Miriam

www.miriamverhaar.ca
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)