YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

teaching beginners
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

OrangeMat
Posted 2007-04-05 7:39 AM (#82383)
Subject: teaching beginners

I'm curious as to what type of students different yoga teachers are drawn to teaching, if any at all. I've been finding that I'm more drawn to beginners, which may or may not have anything to do with the people I currently work with privately. Would you say that for a beginning teacher, it's "safer" to work with beginners, because the teacher him/herself still doesn't know that much? I don't know if I totally agree with that. I think teaching beginners is just as challenging, if not more so, but for obviously different reasons than teaching more experienced students.

Another question: what would you say makes the difference between Level I and Mixed Level or Level II classes? Obviously the physical complexity of the poses, but that can't be all of it. Is it the expectation of the students to understand certain cues? And so how do you determine what's too much of an expectation of body awareness from them? Cues such as "tuck the tailbone" I expect to be widely understood, especially after a couple examples of techniques to teach the feeling. But what about something such as "lengthen the inner thighs"? This is my problem, since body awareness has always come so easily for me, even before I ever knew what a downward dog was. How much can I expect them to understand?

As my final presentation in my teacher training, I've chosen to teach a Level I class, as opposed to the majority of Mixed Level classes my fellow trainees are offering for our charity teaching weekend. I would like to go with a concept such as the inner thigh lengthening to build symmetry, strength and stability in standing poses as the physical part of the theme of my class. To me that seems like second nature, but I'm concerned that I'll lose everyone. Anyone have any thoughts and/or experience related in this vein? Thanks!

Edited by OrangeMat 2007-04-05 7:41 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
mishoga
Posted 2007-04-05 7:55 AM (#82385 - in reply to #82383)
Subject: RE: teaching beginners

Expert Yogi

What do you mean you'll lose them???

I teach beginners, Intermediate, children (as young as 3 years old) and seniors.
I have many students that come from either practicing several traditions or one other. The Iyengites are the best. I have a couple who are diehard Iyengites. They don't understand my alignment cueing because our philosophy of body alignment is very different. They practice with their alignment intact from their Iyengar experiences. They are cool. Their bodies look so nice and they are all older. It goes to prove how yoga does a body good as you age.

Level I you are introducing them to their body. Level II they are practicing yogasana with awareness already ingrained.
Mixed levels are tough, well not tough, but paying very close attention to all, definitely off the mat for the whole entire class. I like mixed levels though.

I still don't get the comment that you'll lose them

Edited by mishoga 2007-04-05 8:11 AM
tourist
Posted 2007-04-05 11:13 AM (#82415 - in reply to #82383)

Expert Yogi

OM - ideally, I think new beginners should be taught by a more experienced teacher. Our teacher's group has had discussions about this. They really need a practiced eye and a teacher who has the most modifications and "tricks" up her sleeve. But this is not usually how it works so it ends up with the nearsighted leading the blind I think it is a real challenge to teach a room full of maybe 20 people who you don't know. I am much hapier now with Level I classes where 85% or so of the students are in their 2nd term or more. This gives me the energy to look at and help out the new folks better.

More than the poses taught or the complexity of the instruction, a Level II or higher class to me is about the students having more body awareness. They are somewhat familiar with the poses and terminology, but mostly, they know their bodies a bit better and understand how to move them. Fewer corrections at a really basic level are needed.

As far as lengthening the inner thighs goes, you must be able to explain how to acheive this action. We are never allowed to give a cue such as this without accompanying it with explanation, including what is meant by "inner thighs" - where is that? How do I move it?

I have to go work now - I'll check in later
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-04-05 1:51 PM (#82434 - in reply to #82415)

Thanks tourist, I had a feeling that was the answer, that it's really much harder to teach beginners. I just wanted some seasoned teachers' opinions on that, to confirm what I thought. I really ought to trust my gut more!

I'm still going to go ahead with my plan to teach a level 1 class, but probably rethink the theme. I've been observing classes at my studio, but haven't been able to get to enough beginner classes. Our charity weekend is a month away. I should have a clearer picture of the level of cuing detail by then.

I like your analogy, the nearsighted leading the blind. What makes it worse is when the nearsighted has a knack for finding her way, but has no clue as to how she got there.

"More than the poses taught or the complexity of the instruction, a Level II or higher class to me is about the students having more body awareness." I really wish this point was stressed more in our training. Going into it back in September, that was my question: what distinguishes the levels of class? I see now, almost seven months later, I'm still not sure of the answer.

Most of the classes at my studio are mixed level, meaning levels I and II, so it's been very difficult for me to discern what is being understood by the students who are more on the Level I end of the spectrum, both when I've attended class as well as observed. There is no qualification period at my studio, which I suppose is unfortunate, so anyone can attend any class at any time. And in a mixed level class the teacher might very well have as the theme to lengthen the inner thighs, so this is exactly why I was concerned about losing people. Granted, the entire class gets focused on learning the awareness of that body part, workshopping it, I supposed that what it's called, but still, I personally could see it being over someone's head if they've never considered how their body feels to them ever before (Mish, did that explain that better? I hope so!).

Thanks again for your candid response, tourist. If you have more opinions or advice, I do welcome it.

mishoga
Posted 2007-04-05 2:18 PM (#82437 - in reply to #82383)

Expert Yogi

OM, go with your theme. I think it's a great idea. you're in a yoga center which is a big plus. People who practice at a yoga studio are willing and able to learn about the body. For the ones who are familiar, they will tune you out and focus on their personal practice. But wait, you're aiming this towards beginners?
Just inform them. Have them engage certain muscles and release so they know which muscles you are talking about. The adductor muscle group (which is what most people recognize namewise if they know the muscles somewhat) is really a group of muscles. You can break this down further for them actually pinpointing the Adductor Longus, Pectineal muscle, Gracilis.......
I find beginner's are very receptive in learning anatomy.
Either way, I know you'll do great! Let your love shine, let it pour out of you.
I would love to take your class!
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-04-05 2:38 PM (#82440 - in reply to #82437)

Hi Mish, thanks for the vote of confidence! My complete theme is probably going to be something about left and right balance, moon and sun, so I was hoping to take it a little deeper by pointing out how the inner legs provide support and stability in asymetric poses (lunges and such), since the average tendency is to only rely on the outer leg muscles. Not too deep, right?

You should come! First weekend in May, classes Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday from noon on. All 16 of us trainees will be teaching, 45 minute classes on the hour, wide variety of classes and all proceeds will be going to an orphanage in Ecuador. What, you're like 2 or 3 hours away? Piece of cake!

shalamOM
Posted 2007-04-06 2:42 AM (#82479 - in reply to #82383)

I have found that those who teach beginners have a certain personality. They are nurturers who want to protect beginners from ill instruction and possible injury. They are people who don't push or expect excellence. They are forgiving and accepting and make the beginners feel calm in an otherwise scary and potentially off putting environment.

The downside to this type of teacher is that not all 'beginners' are the same. Many beginners are ready to go on to the next level a little faster, but feel that their teacher holds them back for fear that they are not ready. This can make a student not have belief in their own efficacy as a practioner. They may doubt their own ability to excel and improve. Some students may never really improve because their teacher keeps them at a level which makes them feel comfortable and able to nurture. It's almost like the teacher doesn't want that 'empty nest' syndrome.

Those who enjoy teaching only advanced students are the other side of the coin, but I won't get into that personality here.
ollie
Posted 2007-04-06 5:21 AM (#82489 - in reply to #82383)

ShalamOM, please elaborate on your thoughts about those who teach advanced students too!

OrangeMat
Posted 2007-04-06 5:54 AM (#82492 - in reply to #82479)

ShalamOM, I see what you mean about the empty-nester syndrome, but I don't believe that's the only reason out there that beginners only progress so far with a particular teacher. Sometimes the student is just too afraid to take that next step themselves, to trust themselves to be able to do it (whatever that "it" might be). No amount of training or coaxing or prodding or coddling by a teacher can make this student take that next step of conquering their own fears. You can give them all the tools, but ultimately it's up to them to use them.

"Those who enjoy teaching only advanced students are the other side of the coin, but I won't get into that personality here."

And why not? This is why I asked the question in the first place. I don't personally feel driven to work with a student like that, especially since I have no experience there. If you have some insight, please do tell.

mishoga
Posted 2007-04-06 8:31 AM (#82495 - in reply to #82489)

Expert Yogi

ollie - 2007-04-06 5:21 AM

ShalamOM, please elaborate on your thoughts about those who teach advanced students too!

Yeah, I'd like to know too!

Om, I'm a paranoid driver (two very bad car accidents). Come pick me up!

Edited by mishoga 2007-04-06 8:32 AM
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-06 9:06 AM (#82500 - in reply to #82383)

Sorry, I am late on this.

type of students I shall like to teach: Those who want to learn (from me while I am teaching!).

difference between level i and mixed, for the teacher: more work to teach mixed level class, without getting mixed up!
tourist
Posted 2007-04-06 10:55 AM (#82513 - in reply to #82500)

Expert Yogi

jessica - I suppose there are those teachers of beginners that fit your idea, but certainly not all. Like Neel, I teach the students who come to me and want to learn - period. I certainly do admit to enjoying teaching beginners because it is so much fun to watch people who may have been reluctant to try yoga discover what it can do for them. I am priviledged to see the light come to their faces and bodies as they start to understand how to move and thrilled when they come and tell me they feel better or happier or their back doesn't hurt anymore.

As far as not wanting them to progress goes, at least for me, this could not be farther from the truth. Though I do have a few "terminal beginners" as someone once called himself, it is because of serious body issues that simply do not allow them to move into the more complex poses. For those who choose to stay at a low level, I feel in a way that I have not worked hard enough to help them build the confidence in themselves to move on. Sometimes I feel like I have to make the beginner classes REALLY slow and boring to those people so they will be encouraged to make the leap to Level II And there is nothing so gratifying to me as going to my own teacher's advanced class and seeing it full of students who started with me and are now practicing at a higher level than I am. I will be ecstatic to one day attend a class where they teach me.
mishoga
Posted 2007-04-06 3:35 PM (#82565 - in reply to #82383)

Expert Yogi

I love to teach beginners. Love teaching anatomy and pranayama techniques.

As far as holding students back from growth, not letting go, I encourage my students to explore styles that I think will be to their liking. And that could mean that they find another style they enjoy or connect with more. I am sad when they move on but very thankful to have led them to a yogic path. I am happy when I hear they are continuing their practice whether independantly or guided.

I can only take them so far because new sessions are starting every 8 weeks, with new enrollees coming and going, and the gyms have floaters constantly. I have that philosophy and approach "better safe than sorry". So I play it safe always.

I have my seniors for awhile. I love teaching seniors. You see the change in them immediately and they feel it too. 20 and 30 year olds take their body for granted. They aren't waking with aches and pains. They don't have arthritis, or diabetes, high blood pressure (of course some younger adults do but these illnesses and diseases strike older adults more commonly). Incorporating a yoga practice into your life in the senior years really has an impact on quality of life.

Edited by mishoga 2007-04-06 4:03 PM

Posted 2007-04-09 3:02 AM (#82799 - in reply to #82383)

I am drawn to students who posses the willingness to change and the tapas to make it so.

The difference, aside from asana, in a level one and a higher level class is the introduction of meditation and pranayama and the students ability to listen, do, focus, and shift their system of reference from external to internal. "Tuck the tailbone" (for us) is a "cue" of last resort so I can't speak to that one directly. What I say or do not say to students is based on what I see in their bodies (and their eyes), what I feel of their energy, what I hear of their breathing. While there are concepts in a higher level class that are not at all mentioned in a lower level class AND there are some additional actions or energetics, for the most part I do not have a "dialogue" for one class that is advanced.

There is a very simple, yet often overlooked element in this "cues" and expectations thingy.
If you give an instruction LOOK to see that all the students are doing it. If they are not doing it AND you move on with your instruction, you might as well make a tape recording and leave the room. If the students do not do as instructed then the instruction must be repeated and perhaps resaid in a different way to reach those not doing. If they really don't get it STOP. Bring them up. Show them. Look in their eyes. Make sure they get it. Then send them baack to the mats for the pose.

If you want to "get" lengthen the inner thighs with a beginning group find the easier actions in your body that lead to that and break them down. Root the inner heels into the mat. Lift the quadriceps...but frankly I don't think lenghening the inner thighs is an appropriate concept for a raw beginner. They simple can't find it.

OrangeMat - 2007-04-05 4:39 AM

I'm curious as to what type of students different yoga teachers are drawn to teaching, if any at all. I've been finding that I'm more drawn to beginners, which may or may not have anything to do with the people I currently work with privately. Would you say that for a beginning teacher, it's "safer" to work with beginners, because the teacher him/herself still doesn't know that much? I don't know if I totally agree with that. I think teaching beginners is just as challenging, if not more so, but for obviously different reasons than teaching more experienced students.

Another question: what would you say makes the difference between Level I and Mixed Level or Level II classes? Obviously the physical complexity of the poses, but that can't be all of it. Is it the expectation of the students to understand certain cues? And so how do you determine what's too much of an expectation of body awareness from them? Cues such as "tuck the tailbone" I expect to be widely understood, especially after a couple examples of techniques to teach the feeling. But what about something such as "lengthen the inner thighs"? This is my problem, since body awareness has always come so easily for me, even before I ever knew what a downward dog was. How much can I expect them to understand?

As my final presentation in my teacher training, I've chosen to teach a Level I class, as opposed to the majority of Mixed Level classes my fellow trainees are offering for our charity teaching weekend. I would like to go with a concept such as the inner thigh lengthening to build symmetry, strength and stability in standing poses as the physical part of the theme of my class. To me that seems like second nature, but I'm concerned that I'll lose everyone. Anyone have any thoughts and/or experience related in this vein? Thanks!

Edited by purnayoga 2007-04-09 3:04 AM
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-04-09 7:00 AM (#82810 - in reply to #82799)

Purna, thank you for your input. I was working with one of my private clients yesterday (longtime client of mine, but very new to yoga). We got to bridge pose and she always has issues there with clenching her glutes and then complaining that her thighs hurt. Tucking the tailbone, lengthening the lower back, all that mechanical stuff that makes sense to me just doesn't register to her, so I tried the cue of "move the inner knees away from you as you lift your hips". I could tell from all aspects (body position, facial expression, breathing, etc.) that she "got it". So that cue works, yet the other ones don't, yet for me personally, they've all worked from day one, so I find it tough to know which ones to use. Of course I try a million different ways to say it, show it, guide it in their bodies, etc., but I find it a painstaking process, especially since every indivudal processes information like that differently. All part of the learning process for me, for sure, just something I'm guessing that isn't common for most budding teachers.

Observing how the students react to my instructions obviously what should be done, which I do do automatically, since most of my experience has been with working one-on-one. In training we all practice teaching each other, as well as adjusting our mentors when they take class, but personally I don't think this is enough of an exercise for us, since we are all experienced students ourselves. Yes, we're encouraged to find ourselves some beginners and practice teaching them, but nothing formal in the training such as when we have our mentors adjustment nights. Also, I don't believe there is any apprentice type of program in our training, which I personally would want to take part in, once the formal nine months end (in June). Basically for all that I've been learning, I'm finding there's more and more that I don't know. That's a good thing, I know, but still, I'd like to work on addressing that!

Just reread your reply and wanted to address one more point you made: "Root the inner heels into the mat. Lift the quadriceps...but frankly I don't think lenghening the inner thighs is an appropriate concept for a raw beginner. They simple can't find it."

OK, so in my mind (and my body's mind), I find NO DIFFERENCE in understanding any of the cues you mentioned compared to the one I gave as my example. How is it that a beginner knows where their quadriceps are but not their inner thighs? Why is one body part more accessible than another? In my fitness classes I go through the dialog of saying we all know how to contract our biceps, we do that when we make a fist, etc. I tell them this so they don't stress out about not understanding what it means physically to engage certain body parts, and just send thoughts (i.e. awareness and breath) to those areas, eventually it will click. I've always taught that way, form over function, from the inside out. I didn't know there was any other way.

Edited by OrangeMat 2007-04-09 7:10 AM
tourist
Posted 2007-04-09 12:03 PM (#82830 - in reply to #82810)

Expert Yogi

I have no idea how people teach without looking at their students to see if they are responding to the cues. Ever seen a ballet class or martial art class conducted by someone who was not walking around watching every move their students make? Would you teach driving blindfolded?

Re: inner thighs vs. quads. New students usually know where their quads (or at least the "big muscles on the front of your thighs") are. That helps a ton. Inner thighs are harder to understand - do you mean the muscles under the quads? Front inner thighs or back inner thighs? And finding the movement there, if indeed there is any movement, is often a long term project. How do I get people who are raw beginners to lift their kneecaps? I have them stand with straight legs, lift their toes and take their weight into their heels. Bam - they usually get it right away and can reproduce the action quite readily.

I find that it is easier for me to feel the actions needed to lengthen the inner thigh better lying in supta tadasana with feet planted firmly on the wall. Even better when one leg is up for supta padangustasana. That may just be me, but I also see it in students.

Posted 2007-04-09 2:15 PM (#82846 - in reply to #82810)

Valid questions OM.

It is moving from gross to fine, from Anamaya Kosha to the Vijnanamaya Kosha (or further).
Many students do NOT know their quadriceps (intimately) lest they'd be working them to feed the pelvis and thus feed the heart. You can point and show them both. But if you look at the human body, on the average student, you can tell the hamstrings and the quads are more pronounced physically then say the adductors or abductors. And this makes sense as most people in their daily lives are moving in the mid-sagital plane - hip flexion and hip extension. This is why hip work is so important in yoga (asana).

So of course the average walker, jogger, stair climber, swimmer, cyclist, mailman et al can begin to access their quads. The inner thigh require more awareness from the student and since beginning students oft come to us with little or no awareness (unless they are coming from dance or other movement backgrounds) they need time and direction to find inner thighs.

As far as instruction language the over arching principle is to consider saying that which cannot be misinterpreted. That takes time. And, of course "Tell, touch, do" which is why we give adjustments.

With raw beginners try giving them instructions they can see. Tell that student in Setu Bandha to lift the bottom of the belly up towards the chin BUT not IN towards the spine. Since it's in front of her she can see it. Tuck the tailbone and lengthen the back may be "right" action but they are backbody instructions and not visible - again requiring a heightened awareness which a beginner may not posses.

...Tucking the tailbone, lengthening the lower back, all that mechanical stuff that makes sense to me just doesn't register to her, so I tried the cue of "move the inner knees away from you as you lift your hips". I could tell from all aspects (body position, facial expression, breathing, etc.) that she "got it". So that cue works, yet the other ones don't, yet for me personally, they've all worked from day one, so I find it tough to know which ones to use...

...I find NO DIFFERENCE in understanding any of the cues you mentioned compared to the one I gave as my example. How is it that a beginner knows where their quadriceps are but not their inner thighs? Why is one body part more accessible than another?

Edited by purnayoga 2007-04-09 2:22 PM
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-04-28 9:48 PM (#84516 - in reply to #82846)

purnayoga - 2007-04-09 2:15 PM With raw beginners try giving them instructions they can see. Tell that student in Setu Bandha to lift the bottom of the belly up towards the chin BUT not IN towards the spine. Since it's in front of her she can see it. Tuck the tailbone and lengthen the back may be "right" action but they are backbody instructions and not visible - again requiring a heightened awareness which a beginner may not posses.

I think I may have skimmed this response too quickly when I first read it. Instructions that they can literally see on themselves, wow. Am I the only one that hasn't thought of this as an obvious way to approach teaching beginners? This is such a huge missing piece for me. Did everyone else, when they first started out, need to receive information like this? I'm serious, this is really shedding a lot of light for me on my teaching frustrations, thanks.

My beginner class is next weekend. A one-shot deal, drop-in class, so I have no clue who might end up being there. Could be all experienced beginners, so then I'll be fine. Or could be people who have never done a single downward dog and will end up looking at me with that accusing eye that my clients give me that says "oh come on, you KNOW I can't do that!". Hopefully, because it's yoga and not fitness, they'll be coming in wanting to trust and learn instead of judging and looking to be entertained, as it's been the case with me for so long.

I keep turning back to a quote our teacher gave us that ended up being a question on our written test a couple weeks ago: "You must be willing to show up and suck, before you show up and shine." OK, so I get what that means conceptually, but still, it sure is scary to risk actually doing that!

tourist
Posted 2007-04-29 10:58 AM (#84551 - in reply to #84516)

Expert Yogi

OM - yes, this is HUGE and yes, most of us needed to learn that way in the beginning. Even athletes and dancers (sometimes especially athletes and dancers ) are pretty much clueless about what is actually happening in their bodies. Geeta Iyengar tells us to teach to the front of the body - places that can be seen and touched. She says we cannot teach about the back to people who don't even know where their feet are yet Good luck on the beginner class and let us know how it goes!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)