YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Vegetarian vs. Meat Eater
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

Krisita
Posted 2007-04-04 11:54 PM (#82360)
Subject: Vegetarian vs. Meat Eater

Before marriage I was a vegetarian, but then I married into a carnitas loving Mexican family, and well...you can guess what happened. I’d like to go back to being a vegetarian. I truly believe in the health benefits, and lately I can’t cook a chicken without feeling truly bad. Granted I’d still have to cook poultry/fish dishes for my husband. My husband, and his family, are dedicated carnivores, and he is not about to give it up. Does anyone here live in a house divided, and how do you deal with it?

Namaste

Kris
Top of the page Bottom of the page
marcella
Posted 2007-04-05 11:56 AM (#82421 - in reply to #82360)
Subject: RE: Vegetarian vs. Meat Eater

Hi Krisita.

I am a vegetarian and my husband a true blue carnivore. We both work fulltime jobs. He doesn't cook or shop for food or even really throw money into the pot to buy food. I plan meals, shop for them and cook them. So when I cook at home, I cook vegetarian. It's what's for dinner! I haven't officially said to him, I'm only cooking vegetarian, I've just done it. I look for recipes that I think he'll like that don't seem overly tofu-y, tempeh-y. So quiches and pasta dishes. He hasn't even seemed to notice, really, that I have stopped cooking meat and chicken. He would, of course, be welcome to buy it and cook it himself, but he never does.

He usually grabs something to go on his way to work and also for lunch, so he gets meat/chicken then if he wants it. When we order takeout, he usually orders meat or chicken, and also when we dine out, which is usually a couple of times a week.

So maybe some sort of compromise could be worked out with your husband?
Cyndi
Posted 2007-04-05 12:49 PM (#82427 - in reply to #82421)

Expert Yogi

Well Krisita,

Once you get over the part of feeling bad...I think that should be addressed first.  You can do this....

When I was *part vegetarian*....I would make beet soup, cabbage soup, egg drop soup, bok choy soup, chicken noodle soup without the chicken.  I would cook chicken by boiling it.  I would use the broth for my soup and give the chicken to my husband.  This worked out great for my family.  They would make chicken salad or eat the meat with vegetables....they even ate my soup. There are all kinds of creative ways to accomodate special diets.  I know most vegetarians could not and would not use my methods due to the broth being from a chicken, however, there are many ways to cook meat and not eat it.  Mainly, if you're going to do so, do so with joy and happiness.  This is really important when you are cooking for someone and yourself - whether it be with meat or not.  You can make a full course meal using meat.  You can make several side dishes for yourself that are vegetarian to compliment the meat dish.  I always try to have at least one dish of dhal, 2 vegetables, rice or grain and then of course, the meat.  Take care and Best Wishes,

OptiMystic
Posted 2007-04-05 4:24 PM (#82450 - in reply to #82360)

I go veg for stretches of time every now and then. We do a lot of meals that are either "assemble as you eat" (like fajitas) or just have a standlone main course like steak or chicken breast so I could bypass just the one item and still have all the sides, often substituting black beans for meat in Mexican dishes and usually just skipping the meat and getting more sides. If you are lacto/ovo, you can easily get your protein early in the day. I also don't mind a little processed food as long as they don't go overboard. I eat the Kashi High Fiber High Protein cereal a lot.

Edited by OptiMystic 2007-04-05 4:25 PM
Krisita
Posted 2007-04-05 9:28 PM (#82458 - in reply to #82360)

Thank you for your suggestions. I see it is workable. I did get him to eat veggie burgers, and he liked it. I like the idea of several small dishes to choose from. I have to brush up on my cooking skills in order to create edible vegetarian meals. I have yet to master the art of tofu cooking...I’m tofu challenged.

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-05 11:14 PM (#82465 - in reply to #82360)

Krisita - 2007-04-04 11:54 PM

Before marriage I was a vegetarian, but then I married into a carnitas loving Mexican family, and well...you can guess what happened. I’d like to go back to being a vegetarian. I truly believe in the health benefits, and lately I can’t cook a chicken without feeling truly bad. Granted I’d still have to cook poultry/fish dishes for my husband. My husband, and his family, are dedicated carnivores, and he is not about to give it up. Does anyone here live in a house divided, and how do you deal with it?

Namaste

Kris

Hello K: I can only wish you best luck with your situation. But, if your husband truely loves you, your being vegetarian should not cause any separation. If he loves chicken more than you , the mattes are different. But, do not worry, then he would not be eating it.

What I suggest is: Take your husband away on a picnic in a peaceful surrounding and explain him your addiction to vegetarian food, and to him, at the same time. This means he should consider: your vegetarianism and your relation with hime both with equal love. How do you like that?

OptiMystic
Posted 2007-04-05 11:44 PM (#82468 - in reply to #82360)

I found a decent resource for well balanced vegetarian menus with recipes. Discovery Health has a fitness challenge site. If you register and set a goal (it can be maintenance if you are already at your target) one of the things it will do is suggest daily menus and you can set your profile up to get all vegetarian. It lists all the nutrition and the recipe for each meal.
spook
Posted 2007-04-06 8:44 AM (#82496 - in reply to #82360)

I live in a house divided as well ~ I was a vegetarian long before I met my omnivore husband, so we were both pretty well set in our ways when we got married. It wasn't easy at first, we were seemingly always having 2 different meals, but over time he actually became more curious about my eating tofu, beans, etc.. What eventually worked for us was PLANNING. We sit down every weekend before grocery shopping (he is a part of the shoppingas well) and write out a meal list for the week. We try to create meals that we can both eat some of (veggie sides, salads, etc) and he will have a piece of meat with it, and I will have tofu, etc if I choose. Some meals are strictly vegetarian (very easy to make yummy pasta dishes without meat!).

We now have a 4 year old and it has become even more important to create a meal routine with enough variety to make everyone happy. I have not pushed meat-eating or vegetarianism on her, I'm simply letting her decide for herself which route to take, as long as she is eating enough veggies and protein. I reallly feel like this has helped avoid her becoming a picky eater - she tries and enjoys nearly everything!

Good luck to you!
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-06 9:09 AM (#82501 - in reply to #82360)

Dear K: Due to Spook's post above, I had to add one more spooky point:

- If you have small kids, do not try to customize them to your philosophy of eating.

- If you have big kids, I mean small Adults, do NOT tell them anything about eating, unless they ask.
SCThornley
Posted 2007-04-06 6:19 PM (#82577 - in reply to #82360)

I haven't consumed flesh since March 1st this year.

My wife and son and two of my three daughters consume flesh

My other daughter does not consume flesh, unless it's bacon.

I don't know how I 'deal' with it.

I just don't feel like eating flesh right now, don't know if I'm going to want to start eating flesh again.

Swami Vishnudevananda said that a serious yoga student should abstain from eating flesh. That certainly helped me to stop eating flesh, but really, I just woke up and didn't want to consume another living things flesh.

So, I stopped.

Other people have the ability to make decisions for themselves. I can not make decisions for them.

House divided? Maybe in some respects, but people do have a sense of individuality and that is easily respected without any internal conflict.

seoulyogi
Posted 2007-04-08 12:38 PM (#82733 - in reply to #82360)

hi krista,

i am a lacto vegetarian (sometimes vegan for stretches, if i don't feel like milk). my fiance is a carnivore. to mirror some peoples' statements above- i cook vegan/ vegetarian meals at home. if he wants, sometimes he cooks his own meat and adds it to what i make. (i often make vegan mac and cheese and he adds chopped up kielbasa to it . he also occasionally picks up food on the way home from work as well. i've gotten many fabuluous veg cookbooks and my fiance seems to love most of what i make. he's even cut down on the amt of meet he eats . i also vegetarianize a lot of common dishes. the cookbooks i have have given me many ideas for doing so. my favorite cook books are "vegan with avengence", "la dolce vegan", and "moosewood low fat favorites". many of the meals in them are so satisfying, my fiance never ends up missing the meat!
YoGanesha
Posted 2007-04-08 1:03 PM (#82735 - in reply to #82577)

Flesh, flesh, flesh...you realize how ridiculous you sound?
I respect vegetarianism and i'm even considering it myself, but please stop with the flesh talk. You sound pompous.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-04-08 2:45 PM (#82740 - in reply to #82735)

Expert Yogi

We're having baked Wild Caught Tilipia today from Costa Rican waters.   Satyam marinated it all night long in all sorts of Indian Herbs, ginger and garlic.  Now it is baking in the oven. We are going to have it with Bok Choy, steamed Rice and a fruit salad.   Happy Easter everybody.
fechter03
Posted 2007-04-08 3:42 PM (#82743 - in reply to #82740)

Extreme Veteran

Cyndi - 2007-04-08 2:45 PM

We're having baked Wild Caught Tilipia today from Costa Rican waters.   Satyam marinated it all night long in all sorts of Indian Herbs, ginger and garlic.  Now it is baking in the oven. We are going to have it with Bok Choy, steamed Rice and a fruit salad.   Happy Easter everybody.

that sounds pretty good,
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-08 5:05 PM (#82752 - in reply to #82360)

Now, I feel I should not have turned down the invitations to the Mountains.
SCThornley
Posted 2007-04-08 8:49 PM (#82766 - in reply to #82735)

YoGanesha - 2007-04-08 1:03 PM

Flesh, flesh, flesh...you realize how ridiculous you sound?
I respect vegetarianism and i'm even considering it myself, but please stop with the flesh talk. You sound pompous.

I don't feel that way.

I just don't feel like eating flesh, and that is what meat is.

If you do, go ahead, it just doesn't serve me, right now, Rachel.

I've gone for years without eating flesh before.

It's been about 13 years, probably past due time to refrain.

No one else in my house abstains from dining on cooked flesh.

flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh flesh

ah, now I feel childish, and a bit younger.
jonnie
Posted 2007-04-09 12:42 AM (#82784 - in reply to #82360)

I still love you Steve and stay away from that flesh

Jonathon
SCThornley
Posted 2007-04-09 9:17 AM (#82816 - in reply to #82784)

jonnie - 2007-04-09 12:42 AM

I still love you Steve and stay away from that flesh

Jonathon

Thanks.

It's been coming on stronger for the past year, and I can no longer rationalize my reasons for having meat as part of my diet.

Too many of my teachers have given me good arguments, and too many scientific arguments have been clearly published for me to have good reasons to not consume meat.

There has been much spirited discussion in this matter here on the boards and elsewhere.

I hope that all people make their own peace with their own decisions and that's that.

Everyone else in my home eats meats of some sort.

I just don't wanna.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-09 10:51 AM (#82820 - in reply to #82360)

I am a flesh eater by choice and by nature. But, I like flesh of : Bananas, Apples, Grapes, etc.
SCThornley
Posted 2007-04-09 11:37 AM (#82828 - in reply to #82820)

kulkarnn - 2007-04-09 10:51 AM

I am a flesh eater by choice and by nature. But, I like flesh of : Bananas, Apples, Grapes, etc.
Krisita
Posted 2007-04-09 8:31 PM (#82867 - in reply to #82360)

Thank you all for your advice. Neel, surprisingly my husband has no problem with avoiding meat. He is trying to become more health conscious, and agrees meat is certainly not helping his health issues (high cholesterol). He would be happy with the occasional chicken or salmon dinner. So it appears to have worked out. MOOOOOchas Gracias Neel. It’s comforting to know he loves the flesh, but he loves mine best-Ha!

OptiMystic, what a great site, I joined the other day. I love how it gives one the choice of daily or weekly meal planning and the recipes can be substituted. This is much easier than scouring my cookbooks for meal variety.

As for my 2 year old, I agree. Nothing is being pushed upon her. She’ll make her own decisions about diet as she grows and learns. So far she enjoys chicken, turkey, and salmon, but on her own will she does not like any red meat.

Thank you all!
tourist
Posted 2007-04-09 9:59 PM (#82875 - in reply to #82867)

Expert Yogi

Krisita - many young children are natural vegetarians. As long as she is getting a good variety of food, she'll be fine. My son was not much of a meat eater until he turned about 14 and then he just turned carnivorous for awhile. We assumed his body was asking for it as he was growing a lot - probably the increased testosterone had something to do with it as well. It leveled off after a few years and he is once again a more vegetarian-ish eater...so long as you count beer as a vegetable!
GreenJello
Posted 2007-04-09 10:46 PM (#82878 - in reply to #82875)

tourist - 2007-04-09 9:59 PM
It leveled off after a few years and he is once again a more vegetarian-ish eater...so long as you count beer as a vegetable!

Beer's a grain. The german word for beer literally translated is liquid bread.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-09 11:12 PM (#82881 - in reply to #82360)

Dear Kristia: Thanks for mg. Looks like some good veggie dish!? Now that you DH has agreed to your Veggie Proposal, make sure you do something that pleases him, even if that includes flesh (including yours).

And, do not forget your Board Friends, when you make nonFlesh ( good Veggie Dishes.

Give us advance notice, I mean.
sark
Posted 2007-04-13 4:48 PM (#83295 - in reply to #82360)

I eat meat, though I do prefer fish. When I do eat meat it is in sensible proportions ( size of a deck of cards ). I did try vegetarianism for about 2 months and although I liked what I was eating and did not miss the taste of meat, I felt out of sorts. I ate plenty of beans so protein should not have been an issue. When I went back to eating meat I felt instantly better. Maybe I have been eating it for too long to change.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)