YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Urdhva Dhanurasana question
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

kristi
Posted 2007-04-04 2:51 PM (#82323)
Subject: Urdhva Dhanurasana question

Veteran

The moment we lift ourselves up to get to Urdhva Dhanurasana should we breath in or out ?
Kristi
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jonnie
Posted 2007-04-04 3:37 PM (#82324 - in reply to #82323)
Subject: RE: Urdhva Dhanurasana question

Hi Kristi,

When you are lying on the floor with legs bent, hands over shoulders and palms flat on the floor in preparation for the pose- breath in and with a sharp exhalation, push up into the pose-then continue to breath evenly while in the pose.

Jonathon

Posted 2007-04-04 4:41 PM (#82327 - in reply to #82323)

Sigh, I think if I were asked which is more possible to do, sleep with Christina Aguillera or perform Urdhva Dhanurasana, I'd honestly have to answer the former. Oh I know, I probably thought similarly of other asanas over the years and then I eventually get there but this one I think may be the impossible dream.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-04-04 5:51 PM (#82332 - in reply to #82323)

You posted this question in the Iyengar forum, so I don't know if you want the strict Iyengar answer to your question. Since I don't practice "strict Iyengar", I can't answer from that perspective, but I can tell you that I've practiced it both ways: rising up on the exhalation as Jonnie described, and also on the inhalation, because my teacher likes to play and experiment. I'm guessing she had us try it on the inhale because the principle is that you inhale for a backbend, right? I haven't studied enough Anusara to know if that's from that tradition, but I have a feeling that it might be.

The traditional answer would be to exhale, because it's an exertion to lift against gravity, and Urdhva Dhanurasana is indeed an exerting pose. But what about Urdhva Mukha Svanasana? It's a backbend, you're lifting against gravity, yet there you always inhale.

Interesting question. As my teacher would say, try it both ways, see what you like best.

fechter03
Posted 2007-04-05 12:02 AM (#82363 - in reply to #82323)

Extreme Veteran

haha, my fav. pose. i've had a love affair with this pose for a looooonnggg time. i get it on most days though, and bruce i'm sure you realize that most of this pose is about the openness in the shoulders and hips mostly.

in this pose and all backbending for that matter, i believe i was taught to INHALE on the way into the back bend; the opposite for forward bends, i.e. exhale into the posture. i can't imagine it any other way.
kristi
Posted 2007-04-05 3:34 AM (#82371 - in reply to #82323)

Veteran

Thanks to everybody! Oh… the question is still there…
For the last 4 years I’ve been inhaling while rising up. I was sure this was the instruction our teacher had given us. This asana is anyway an easy and pleasant one for me. But one of these days my husband saw me inhaling while going up and he insisted that our teacher had advised us the opposite, which I cannot remember.So I experimented to get in the asana by exhaling and found out it seemed even more easy and more natural to me…
I would please ask for the advice of a teacher of Iyengar yoga, since this is the method I am following and the reason why I posted this question here. Tourist ?
Kristi
Nick
Posted 2007-04-05 5:10 AM (#82373 - in reply to #82371)

Hi there,
I used to teach Iyengar yoga, and I seem to recall the instruction for most backbends, including urdvha dhanurasana, to inhale on the movement into each posture. I don't know if this has changed. Exceptions might be postures such as handstand, scorpion, etc.
If I might add something, it is that the obvious aim of inhaling is to elevate the ribs and therefore, hopefully, to extend the thoracic spine. Inhaling also helps to pressurize the abdomen with the downward movement of the diaphragm, so creating a pneumatic cushion which prevents the lumbar spine from hyper-extending.
But most physiologists agree that inhaling actually has the capacity to flex the thoracic spine-because of its normal curvature, the intake of air actually presses the curve outwards-the thoracic spine is flexed. Exhaling has the opposite effect. So, I would submit that perhaps when people find an exhale helps, it is because they are using the action to help extend the thoracic spine. When an inhale helps, perhaps it is because they are using the rib elevation to help move the shoulders into a better position, or because of the low back protection that is gained. This is obviously a vast simplification, but hope it helps. Perhaps the inhalers can learn from the exhalers, and vice versa

Nick
tourist
Posted 2007-04-05 10:49 AM (#82412 - in reply to #82373)

Expert Yogi

The definitive Iyengar answer is "never always." And, to add to the confusion, Prashant Iyengar's dictum "how you do the pose depends on why you are doing the pose." Gotta love the enigmatic yoga teacher talk! In fact, I believe I have been taught this pose both ways, but as Nick described, for most people, for most days, exhaling on the push up is probably best.

People do get hung up on the teeny, tiny details of Iyengar instruction and that is a big trap. I have been to workshops where students share notes afterward and go back to teach or practice exactly how it was taught that day, throwing out the "old" way entirely and parroting back this "new" detail or style. This is not how BKS wants us to practice or teach. We need to know the principles and rationale behind each way of doing a pose so that we can practice intelligently and not become parrots or "point collectors" as Geeta Iyengar calls it. There may be very good reasons to teach this pose with an inhalation and if you understand them, this would be how to do it. Heck, I am thrilled that people practice this! I haven't ever loved this pose and with a sore shoulder, it looks like it will be a long time yet before I can do it again.
kristi
Posted 2007-04-05 12:55 PM (#82428 - in reply to #82323)

Veteran

So, there was no reason to… argue with my husband about whether we should be exhaling or inhaling while going up…(like there is usually no reason for most arguments between couples:-))
Thanks a lot for the advice!
And by the way, I had the impression that this was one of the basic back-bending asanas, but it now seems to me that it is not so widely included within the common asana sequences.
We are anyway doing it almost every day in our practice, and very much enjoying the “openness” it gives you, which “stays” with you for the rest of the day.
Kr
TampaEric
Posted 2007-04-05 2:05 PM (#82435 - in reply to #82323)

I say inhale if you are laying on your back and exhale if you are standing into the posture.

Some schools of thought on the subject will say when in doubt exhale.

I can relate to your couples comments...hahahaa

Good Luck,

Eric
tourist
Posted 2007-04-05 6:40 PM (#82452 - in reply to #82428)

Expert Yogi

In Iyengar classes this is in the third syllabus, I think. We teach it in a chair in Level II, reaching back toward the floor, then in Level III they go to the push up. Yes, it can be very invigorating! And really nice if you do your practice in the morning. Tough to teach backbends later in the evening as it takes time to warm up and time to quiet the nervous system enough to sleep later

And aren't you the lucky one who can "discuss" yoga with your spouse! I'll bet there are a few people here who are envious of that Mr Tourist and I never argue about yoga, although last night when I was half asleep and he decided to tell me every single pose he did at class nearly got him in a bit of trouble Eh! After 30-odd years (some of them odder than others...) you know how to pick your battles
joscmt
Posted 2007-04-06 10:05 AM (#82508 - in reply to #82323)
Subject: RE: Urdhva Dhanurasana questio

My husband won't even entertain the idea of yoga! Every now and then I'll show him something new I learned, other than that.... no chance.. Oh well, to each their own!
kristi
Posted 2007-04-06 11:11 AM (#82516 - in reply to #82323)

Veteran

So, it seems that I am lucky in this aspect and thank you for pointing out this to me ! Because it often happens that we do not appreciate some things that we may consider as given, as common... Yes, we did start hatha yoga together with my husband, same teacher, same practice, similar yoga experiences, this is indeed very good and in the "odd" times of the relationship (don't they ever stop my dear tourist??) it is yoga and the yogic mindfulness that helps to overcome problems and "problems".
Kr
tourist
Posted 2007-04-06 3:34 PM (#82564 - in reply to #82516)

Expert Yogi

The odd times never stop, they just change Many of the things that we were at odds about 30 years ago are non-issues now. We have learned to accomodate quite a few of the personal oddities And now that the kids are gone (but both home for the long weekend! A rare and wonderful event) we have separate bathrooms - don't know how we survived all those yers sharing one

Posted 2007-04-10 3:12 AM (#82889 - in reply to #82323)

Exhaling please.
Nick
Posted 2007-04-10 3:44 AM (#82892 - in reply to #82327)

Hi all,
Reasons to inhale as you push up? Inhaling makes the diaphragm descend, which increases the intra-abdominal pressure (IAP). Inside the abdomen are barometric pressure receptors. If the IAP rises, the pressure receptors turn up the amplitude of nervous impulses to all the skeletal muscles. The 'whole-body tension' rises. This can be very helpful in providing strength to lift up.
Additionally, with the inhalation, the position of the shoulder joints is buttressed by the elevation of the rib cage-and maintaining good shoulder position is essential in learning this posture.
The IAP increase can also have the effect of acting as a 'pneumatic cushion,' preventing the lumbar spine from hyper-extending. It has also been theorized that the diaphragm muscle can have an effect on the action of the psoas muscle-the fibres of each muscle interdigitate (that is,'meld'), so that tension in the diaphragm will create tension in the psoas. As it is psoas which should be a primary muscle to stretch with urdvha dhanurasana, it may be that 'taking hold' of the psoas with the diaphragm helps to make the origin of psoas (on the lumbar spine) a fixed point. This means that the insertion of psoas on the femur is then free to move-you can stretch the muscle by extending the hip joints. Many backbends are fraught with pain for many students because they do not learn how to follow this principle. What then happens is that the psoas tension serves to hyper-extend the lumbar spine-the insertion of psoas becomes the origin, and the origin becomes the insertion. Then the hips aren't extended, and the posture becomes less than optimal.
I think I mentioned once before that the best help I ever got with this posture was by doing it on a ramp-probably about 45 degrees, feet at the bottom end, lie down, knees bent and hands by shoulders. The reduction in forces created by gravity make this posture feasible for many. And anyway, if you cannot do it on the ramp, you will probably make a complete hash of it on the floor. You will also be able to define your movement more easily, and perhaps spot bad movements of different parts of your skeleton, and be able to do something about correcting them. On the floor, the tendency is to give up, because it's too much of a struggle. For the more ambitious , you can do drop-backs-again, the ramp can make this very feasible. Every yoga studio should have one-or two. And a rack and some cages.

Take care
Nick
Nick
Posted 2007-04-10 4:10 AM (#82893 - in reply to #82892)

And just to add to that, usually, when you teach push-ups, you teach to inhale on the push-up, exhale on the descent to the floor. This is done for all the reasons outlined above. The press-up and urdvha dhanurasana may look different, but they share certain properties-the action of the arms, knee extension, hand and foot placement, the advantages of a strong core essential to both poses.

Nick
fechter03
Posted 2007-04-10 9:01 PM (#82960 - in reply to #82323)

Extreme Veteran

yeah, what nick said,
kristi
Posted 2007-04-12 12:06 PM (#83135 - in reply to #82323)

Veteran

Very interesting info Nick thanks a lot !!
One more advice on this pose please:
Once lifted up, I enjoy the stretch even more if I also bend my head even more backwards with face turning towards the floor. But as our teacher was passing by checking each one of us, he quickly advised me not to bend the head further back and just let it hang. I didn’t want to waste his time and ask him why, since this was a minor problem, compared to others who had real difficulties with the pose. So I am asking now… here: Is there a danger of injury or what other reason for not stretching backwards the whole body to it’s maximum capacity?
Kr
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-04-12 12:38 PM (#83141 - in reply to #83135)

It's one thing to allow the head to hang freely (i.e. lengthen the neck and open the throat) as you bring your gaze to the floor. It's another to tilt the head back, jamming the cervical vertebrae against each other. Maybe you were doing the first and it appeared to your teacher like the second, which is why you were offered the cautionary advice. If you initiate the further arching back of the spine from a lengthening at the ribcage, with the shoulderblades nestling even further down into your back, then a gentle drawing back of the throat, you'll find you can tip back more safely to go deeper in your backbend. When we practice Urdhva Dhanurasana in class, usually our heads are at the wall, and the instruction is the pulse the heart to the wall. The head can follow in the curve if there's a sufficient lengthening and lift (in that order) of the thoracic spine.

Have you done the double partner pose where one person holds a strap at the top hip points under you, the other has one at the midback just below the shouderblades (typically known as the "braline"?). Each partner pulls their strap to simultaneously lift and lengthen you from the middle out. Such amazing freedom!

Nick
Posted 2007-04-12 12:43 PM (#83142 - in reply to #83135)

kristi - 2007-04-12 5:06 PM

Very interesting info Nick thanks a lot !!
One more advice on this pose please:
Once lifted up, I enjoy the stretch even more if I also bend my head even more backwards with face turning towards the floor. But as our teacher was passing by checking each one of us, he quickly advised me not to bend the head further back and just let it hang. I didn’t want to waste his time and ask him why, since this was a minor problem, compared to others who had real difficulties with the pose. So I am asking now… here: Is there a danger of injury or what other reason for not stretching backwards the whole body to it’s maximum capacity?
Kr

Hi there,
Well, I wouldn't say let the head hang, nor would I say pull it back-unless good posture is acquired through each of the two actions-and neither one guarantees it. I've mentioned about pressing the tongue to the roof of the mouth before, so I won't go into it here, but it can really help with good neck posture. I think whichever posture the head is in, the muscles at the top of the neck, underneath the skull (sub-occipital muscles), should remain at normal length-don't tighten them to pull your head into position. This is the reason for chin-tucking exercises for neck pain, or one of them.

Nick
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-04-12 1:57 PM (#83153 - in reply to #83142)

Nick - 2007-04-12 12:43 PM  I've mentioned about pressing the tongue to the roof of the mouth before, so I won't go into it here, [...]

No need to "go into it" , just please clarify: tip of tongue touching, or tongue flat against roof of mouth? Tip of the tongue curling back to touch the roof of the mouth creates the drawing back of the palate, which in turn relaxes and lengthens the suboccital muscles, as I've experienced it. Pressing the tongue flat creates a different feeling for me, so I'm just confused about the terminology. Thanks.

Nick
Posted 2007-04-12 3:30 PM (#83160 - in reply to #83153)

Hi Om,
No way of describing it without going into it .
TUTALC is the acronym used to describe the correct action-tongue up, teeth apart, lips closed.
"The rest position of the tongue, often referred to as the postural position, is with the first half of the tongue against the hard palate of the mouth. TUTALC is the functional rest position that should be taught to the patient." (Therapeutic exercise-moving towards function-Hall and Brody).

I think you might be getting your terminology a bit confused, because I don't think that any action of the tongue is going to have any effect on the palate-they touch each other, but they aren't in touch or it may be that if you experiment, you can often find an improvement-I often find that varying the pressure of my tongue can help with movements, especially lifts such as handstand-probably partly because of the huge input to the central nervous system from the tongue and face.

Nick
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-04-12 6:26 PM (#83180 - in reply to #83160)

Nick - 2007-04-12 3:30 PM I think you might be getting your terminology a bit confused

Ya think? LOL!

OK, when I think to myself "draw the throat back", I get an overall relaxed feeling wash over me, probably that central nervous system effect you mentioned. What physical part am I drawing back? I have no clue now. Yes, it's not the palate, sorry about using the wrong term. Where the jaw connects to the skull under the ears, I experience a subtle hollowing back there, as well as the bottom of the jaw dropping slightly back and down. I also feel a subtle release at the base of my skull (occipital area, I suppose). Feel free to fill in with the technical terms as you see fit.

So you're saying (indirectly and probably unintentionally, but still) that if I maintain that "drawing back" feeling I won't have so much fear washing over me when I attempt my inversions? I have to admit, I pay no attention whatsoever to my upper body (shoulders, jaw, ribcage) when trying to hold an inversion (forget about getting there, don't even ask); all my efforts go to keeping my core and legs strong and SI stable. OK, one more thing to layer in!

dmbones
Posted 2007-04-13 12:27 AM (#83213 - in reply to #82892)

Nick - 2007-04-09 12:44 AM

Hi all,
Reasons to inhale as you push up? Inhaling makes the diaphragm descend, which increases the intra-abdominal pressure (IAP). Inside the abdomen are barometric pressure receptors. If the IAP rises, the pressure receptors turn up the amplitude of nervous impulses to all the skeletal muscles. The 'whole-body tension' rises. This can be very helpful in providing strength to lift up.
Additionally, with the inhalation, the position of the shoulder joints is buttressed by the elevation of the rib cage-and maintaining good shoulder position is essential in learning this posture.
The IAP increase can also have the effect of acting as a 'pneumatic cushion,' preventing the lumbar spine from hyper-extending. It has also been theorized that the diaphragm muscle can have an effect on the action of the psoas muscle-the fibres of each muscle interdigitate (that is,'meld'), so that tension in the diaphragm will create tension in the psoas. As it is psoas which should be a primary muscle to stretch with urdvha dhanurasana, it may be that 'taking hold' of the psoas with the diaphragm helps to make the origin of psoas (on the lumbar spine) a fixed point. This means that the insertion of psoas on the femur is then free to move-you can stretch the muscle by extending the hip joints. Many backbends are fraught with pain for many students because they do not learn how to follow this principle. What then happens is that the psoas tension serves to hyper-extend the lumbar spine-the insertion of psoas becomes the origin, and the origin becomes the insertion. Then the hips aren't extended, and the posture becomes less than optimal.
I think I mentioned once before that the best help I ever got with this posture was by doing it on a ramp-probably about 45 degrees, feet at the bottom end, lie down, knees bent and hands by shoulders. The reduction in forces created by gravity make this posture feasible for many. And anyway, if you cannot do it on the ramp, you will probably make a complete hash of it on the floor. You will also be able to define your movement more easily, and perhaps spot bad movements of different parts of your skeleton, and be able to do something about correcting them. On the floor, the tendency is to give up, because it's too much of a struggle. For the more ambitious , you can do drop-backs-again, the ramp can make this very feasible. Every yoga studio should have one-or two. And a rack and some cages.

Take care
Nick

Nick,

This is excellent! Thank you.

Michael
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread