YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My YF training experience
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

ollie
Posted 2007-03-26 4:02 PM (#81292)
Subject: My YF training experience

I took yoga-fit level I training this weekend; I've been taking yoga (ok, asana) classes since 2003. My goal for this training was mostly to deepen my own practice; also, I might want to be able to sub for a class (either "me" or "no class at all" type of situation) at my local health club.

I would never call myself a "yoga teacher" in public.

My teacher asked me how it went. This is what I told her:

---------------------
Here is what I can put in writing (as of right now); it is kind of lengthy. :-)

I'll start by telling you what I said when we had the closing circle:

"First, I'll say that I now think that I understand my teacher, whom I love, much better. I see how she says things and what she corrects and what she doesn't. To be honest, I wasn't all that excited going in, as YogaFit's philosophy seems to be very different from mine. But I really ended up enjoying the experience. I enjoyed meeting my fellow students."

That is what I said in public. Now here is what I am saying to you:

On my personal level, I enjoyed it. I got some more feedback from a different set of eyes and I think that my personal practice improved from it. I liked the "moon flowers" and will start doing them on my own.

I also liked the team teaching; I found that I often don't pay attention to sequencing (from pose to pose) and I don't pay attention to breathing (inhale, exhale, etc.)

I got a good idea of what I'd have to focus on if I were to teach; I do ok with the poses themselves; getting them to flow would be my "rough point". That probably comes from the way that I practice on my own (real Hatha-like).

The workshop teacher was ok; in fact I'd say that she was one of the better teachers I've seen. She is from the Bloomington area (Julie?).

The workshop students were fun to meet. of course I knew Cathy going in, but the other folks were fun also. I just wish there were more men (15 out 17 were women).

The one negative is what I saw in the pose demonstrations. Say, we did Warrior I. The teacher modeled it (fine) and the students did as well. She then told us that these were all acceptable Warrior I's as they were "safe".

Well, if a beginnig student did it that way and the class was small enough, I'd have said something. But that is a student.

If a TEACHER did it that way, well, out of politeness I might stay for the whole class, but I'd never go back to that class again.

I think that teachers are supposed to set good examples for the students, and setting a good example means, IMHO, doing the pose well. (at least the basic ones).

I know that there are poses that some teachers can't do (if teachers had to do one-armed scorpions, well, we wouldn't have many teachers) , but these were basic poses.

So, from a teacher training standpoint, there wasn't enough emphasis on doing the poses well, in my opinion.

So to sum up: it was a postive experience, and if they bring level II or III to that area (as they might), I'll sign up if possible. It was a good enhancement to my personal practice. I'd even do level I again.

I think that their teaching tips are helpful; I see that you are so effective because, in part, you use the cueing ("ing verbs", for example) the three mountains and two valleys, and that you follow the principles very well.

I also realize why you correct what you correct; there simply isn't time to make everyone's poses "magazine cover" perfect.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-03-26 4:26 PM (#81296 - in reply to #81292)
Subject: RE: My YF training experience

I did YF level 1 as well (also 2, 3, Core & Seniors) and I have to say, as much as the program is criticized, I did learn quite a bit from it.  Mostly I learned what yoga was enough to know I wanted a deeper understanding and exposure to yoga. I also didn't call myself a yoga teacher after that first weekend, nor even after the subsequent ones. Still don't now either, but I feel I'm getting closer!

Glad to hear you went into this with relatively no expectations, and ended up with some positive experiences. If only the rest of life were so easy!

Edited by OrangeMat 2007-03-26 4:27 PM
ollie
Posted 2007-03-27 5:17 PM (#81469 - in reply to #81292)

Orange mat: you are right about life not being that easy.

PS to my YF stuff: guess who just got coerced into subbing for a class next Monday?

To paraphrase Mr. T: "I pity the poor fools who are taking this class..."

I am now looking at Nick's suggested site for ideas on how to teach that class.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-03-27 6:30 PM (#81478 - in reply to #81469)

Personally, I like this one, even teaches you about one of the yamas AND appropriate yoga attire.

Good luck with subbing next week. Don't forget your -ing verbs.

bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-03-27 7:41 PM (#81482 - in reply to #81292)

Thanks so much OM, now my daughters think I'm nuts, I've been laughing so hard.
ollie
Posted 2007-03-27 8:35 PM (#81484 - in reply to #81478)

OrangeMat - 2007-03-27 5:30 PM

. Don't forget your -ing verbs.

That reminds me of class. We were supposed to come up with "ing verbs". One group came up with "exhilerating". I had to bite my tounge REAL hard!!!!!!!!!!!
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-27 10:44 PM (#81491 - in reply to #81292)

Hey Ollie: With all that fantastic feedback, I can declare, even without knowing you that you are a good Yoga Teacher. Keep it up man (or w?). And, also you are my math teacher?
jonnie
Posted 2007-03-28 1:58 AM (#81497 - in reply to #81292)

Hi Ollie,

I'm glad you enjoyed it. You definately learned a lot about yourself as well.

Jonathon
ollie
Posted 2007-03-28 5:27 AM (#81502 - in reply to #81491)

kulkarnn - 2007-03-27 9:44 PM

Hey Ollie: With all that fantastic feedback, I can declare, even without knowing you that you are a good Yoga Teacher. Keep it up man (or w?). And, also you are my math teacher?

Did you do your homework? :-) (yes, I am a male...I think.)

Actually, I am leaving for a mathematics conference this afternoon, but I am taking my mat and a copy of LOY with me.
riftweaver
Posted 2007-03-28 10:58 AM (#81524 - in reply to #81292)

Sounds like you had a neat experience Ollie, that's cool. And I think it's good that you took a step that enables you to teach, even if you don't want to think of yourself as a teacher.

I would like to be able to teach yoga eventually, myself. I spend enough time doing self-study (of yoga principles, as well as asana and related anatomy), so it's not like it would be adding extra work on myself. From where I stand, there are two things that make a yoga (asana) teacher: self practice that has developed inner awareness, and some experience in understanding how to communicate to students.

This latter really hit home for me last night. I was trying to show my boyfriend some basic asana, because he is very interested in yoga, and hasn't been able to get into a proper class yet. It was difficult for me, because I could see where he needed correction, but I was struggling to convey this. It's harder because he isn't in touch with his body, and I could see it in his practice. Had I more experience in how to communicate in this case (I fell on a lot of non-verbal), I would have been able to better teach in this case. And that only comes through experience teaching, which is part of most teacher trainings. "Chicken and egg."

I know that YogaFit gets a lot of negative press here, but if I had the option for a weekend training like you took, Ollie, I would probably go for it to. I think it would be a great step on the path.

Coincidentally, I just borrowed the YogaFit book from the library to see what it's about, after all the hubbub I've read lately. I like some of the asanas and sequencing.

Again, I think it's great, keep learning!

--Jason
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-03-28 12:35 PM (#81536 - in reply to #81524)

riftweaver - 2007-03-28 10:58 AM Coincidentally, I just borrowed the YogaFit book from the library to see what it's about, after all the hubbub I've read lately. I like some of the asanas and sequencing.

See if you can get your hands on any of Beth Shaw's videos as well, especially her Power Yoga DVD. Since you practice ashtanga, I'd really be curious to hear your observations of how not only she cues the poses as well as how she's practicing them (yes, she practices and cues the entire way through it, no other demos in the background).

Kym
Posted 2007-04-08 5:17 PM (#82756 - in reply to #81292)

I'm a yogafit fan. It works great for me. I cue and practice at the same time for about 90% of class. I use "ing" verbs. I'm dang good at cueing and it's one of the things my students compliment me on the most. One gal said she never thought a class could be taught well with a teacher on the mat (she was considering YF training, but didn't like that aspect) until she took my class. While I'm not trying to talk you into a YF training, it's nice you opened your mind to it.
diyyogini
Posted 2007-04-10 11:51 AM (#82920 - in reply to #81292)

I went through the whole gamut with YF and got my YA RYT through their program (more acronyms please!), supplementing it with workshops and conferences with some of the big names. What I like best about it is their focus on inclusivity. In fact, that's the biggest compliment I get from my students is that they love how I try to include everyone and not ignore or dismiss those who aren't already super skinny. People appreciate offering modifications without saying "for beginners" or "for those of you who can't do the pose." I know lots of yoga teachers are good about that, but it's one of the cornerstones of YF training.

Still, I think there's no way people are prepared to teach after 1 weekend. I went into the training with 10 years of teaching group fitness and 5 years of taking Iyengar, with the occasional Bikram and Vinyasa. Even with that, I felt like I needed more to really feel confident in my teaching.

But even with that criticism, I liked being able to spread out my teacher training over a couple of years and do it on the weekends because with my job there's no way I could have taken off a month to go study in Costa Rica to get in my 200 hours (as lovely as that would have been). It is also an easier burden financially. There are some other programs that do that, such as meet weekends only for 9 months. Personally I prefer that style to the immersion style.
tourist
Posted 2007-04-10 11:47 PM (#82981 - in reply to #82920)

Expert Yogi

diy - just to be clear (for lurkers and others) and in case anyone got the mistaken impression that other forms of yoga are not inclusive, I am sure you did not mean to suggest that, right? Since you are a fairly long term Iyengar student, you would know how we find a modification or optional pose for pretty much everyone. And other forms may want to chime in here on this as well.

Posted 2007-04-11 1:12 AM (#82985 - in reply to #81292)

i'm all about modifications.

many of the students here (hot yoga nz) are new to yoga. they are being taught modified versions of poses, and i've brought in even more modifications to make it even more accessable. i'm not able to let go of heat, of course, which would make it even more 'inclusive' (as certain special needs cannot manage heat effectively), but even so, the form is very inclusive in many ways.

i find that the more depth of knowledge the teacher has, the more inclusive the classes can be. while i find that YF markets on the idea of being inclusive, the fact that students are not observed while practicing and the information is limited to weekend trainings and a few modifications of a set sequence, newer teachers (and particularly those who are newer to yoga as well--have little or no yoga background) simply do not know enough to modify as creatively and effectively as a more experienced teacher or one who is trained differently than this methodology. thus, the more experienced, and/or more highly trained (via teacher trainings or simple yoga experience) teacher will be more inclusive by his or her ability to adapt the posture, sequence, or feel of the class to the needs of the students present.

Posted 2007-04-11 1:14 AM (#82986 - in reply to #81292)

oh, and having seen recordings of shaw's practice (both still photos and video), i'm shocked that it's 'yoga'. many of the postures do not look like any asanas that i have seen, and those that look close have some shocking misalignments (from the krishnamycharya lineage perspective). i mean, out-and-out horrifying alignment problems that could lead to injury in those who would follow her image.

i mean, we all do have misalignments, and i'm sure she's no exception, but some things that she shows/demonstrates as proper alignment are a far cry from proper in 'complete' or 'modified' versions of the poses.
diyyogini
Posted 2007-04-12 12:48 PM (#83143 - in reply to #82981)

Yes, I did not mean to imply that other forms are not inclusive, I was just indicating that I found that YF stressed it a great deal in the training. Thanks for getting me to clarify.

I have been to lots of classes where the teachers do a great job of making everyone feel successful, but I have been to some classes where I've heard teachers say, "if you can't do this pose, just sit and watch for a few minutes" which to me is not inclusive. And, I've been to some classes that don't take into account various body shapes and sizes. For example, resting your cheek on the floor while lying prone does not work for large-breasted women, and some teachers forget things like that and seem to teach only to people of smaller body sizes.

It doesn't mean that these teachers are bad teachers necessarily, or that other teachers don't do that. I'm just saying that the best thing about the YF training was that the drilled it into our heads over and over again to always provide options for people without making them feel lesser or beneath other participants. That was the one thing that has stuck with me the most from the training.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)