YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

For the Teachers here
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Hehet
Posted 2007-03-26 1:52 PM (#81253)
Subject: For the Teachers here

What made you WANT to teach yoga? 

I'd like to become a teacher someday soon, so I find this interesting
Top of the page Bottom of the page
shalamOM
Posted 2007-03-26 2:06 PM (#81256 - in reply to #81253)
Subject: RE: For the Teachers here

I wanted to become a yoga instructor because I was a public school teacher and I wanted to do something different. A friend of mine did yoga and she recommended that I give it a shot since it is teaching afterall and I already had experience with that. I started teaching yoga and I found that I really loved it....It seemed so simple...just do a few asanas and people copy. Many of my students over the years have asked difficult questions that I cannot answer...I tell them to 'ask their doctor' or I recommend a book that might be of some help.

Posted 2007-03-26 3:14 PM (#81281 - in reply to #81253)

one of my first teachers encouraged me to teach, took me on as an apprentice and encouraged me to apprentice with other teachers in the area simultaneously. and then when i moved away, i found another teacher with whom i apprenticed/mentored.

i always enjoyed teaching, but until i apprenticed with my last teacher, i never really felt like i was 'ready' to 'good' at teaching. and then something 'clicked' and i realized that it was what i truly wanted.

when i was 19, and had been apprenticing with the first teacher for a number of months, i thought "wow, it would be cool to do this full time, perhaps own a studio some day." but i didn't think it was possible, something that could be a reality. then about 4-5 years later, i realized that it could, and so here i am.

i love what i do. i'm really, really in love with it.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-03-26 3:30 PM (#81285 - in reply to #81253)

I'm in training to be a teacher, so does that qualify me to answer?

I keep telling myself that I signed up for this training with no intention to teach, just so that I don't stress over not doing well at it, all that insecure stuff. But the truth is, I've been teaching yoga all along, without even knowing it. Not formally, obviously, but that's just how I've always been. Whatever interests me, people tend to come to me with questions about it and I explain it to them, help them understand. It started first with fitness and general health and well-being, and eventually has now progressed into yoga in a formal sense. As a mother I've taught my children how to have a positive outlook in life, how to feel good about themselves (physical as well as everything else), and it's all been as natural as breathing. When someone doesn't understand something and wants to learn, and you do understand it, how can you not want to help them?

tourist
Posted 2007-03-26 6:46 PM (#81304 - in reply to #81285)

Expert Yogi

I fell into it as well. My friends and coworkers wanted to practice together and since I knew the most (precious little at the time!) I taught. My teacher heard about it and suggested I do TT and here I am. I am also someone who tends to end up teaching what I know. It seems to be a personality trait - call it wanting to help others or plain old bossiness
Hehet
Posted 2007-03-26 6:55 PM (#81306 - in reply to #81253)

i love this

what i notice in when we have class and there's someone who's been struggling with a pose (not that i'm watching but we often chitchat before and after a class) and then they say "i got it!" and i'm so thrilled for them, cause i know how good it feels

I'm a "natural" teacher also, i enjoy sharing what i know, be it how to play a card game or a complicated school assignment. 

And i just love yoga, what it's done for my body and mind and soul

So I'm hoping i have a good attitude and intentions. 

Posted 2007-03-26 7:40 PM (#81308 - in reply to #81253)

Being totally truthful, I wanted to be a teacher because I thought most of my teachers were fruitcakes with no common sense. Very nice people but couldn't tell time and believed everything they ever read or heard without question.
ollie
Posted 2007-04-02 10:53 AM (#82002 - in reply to #81253)

Hehet - 2007-03-26 12:52 PM

What made you WANT to teach yoga?

I'd like to become a teacher someday soon, so I find this interesting

Simple. I benifited from our park district's classes and I wanted to give something back to the community (we often have trouble finding substitute teachers).

I see this as "service as needed to keep the classes going" rather than any calling to teach.
mishoga
Posted 2007-04-02 11:40 AM (#82005 - in reply to #81253)

Expert Yogi

Well, at some point it just kind of clicked that I wanted to teach yoga. My transformation from desperation to loving life was the real motivator for me. I knew I needed more education. I was learning asana practice from my teachers with random sanskrit words thrown around, but not more than that. I knew the physical aspect of movement but I wanted to learn more for myself so I could be better informed. That's when I decided to enroll in formal training. This process of learning is forever for me as I don't believe I can learn it all in this lifetime.

As for why I am so motivated to teach, well I think I really wanted to reach out to individuals who would normally not participate in a yoga practice. If I could show them that it really is for everyone and that you don't have to be extreme, change religions, be fit, or bend like a pretzel, etc.... This is half the battle working with the 55 and older population. I also happen to work with very wealthy older women. They are wonderful but they can be prima donnas too. I love them like they are my mom's friends. They look after me like I'm their family and I feel the same about them.

I will admit I was looking at the physical benefits for the senior population. And the older population is a little harder to adopt new concepts. They resist big time. I wanted to approach them on a very gentle level. I believe I have accomplished that and much more.
I need to reach more. I think what bothers me most is the people that come in thinking that their first session is going to be a major breakthrough. They immediately get frustrated and shake their head back and forth the whole session. They have decided within the first 15 minutes that they can't do it. These are the same people that have tons of excuses why they can not take a proactive role in their physical health. I try hard to have patience with this type of person but it's difficult. I can only guide and nuture someone if they are open to experiment abd positive change. If they are closed off in most aspects of their life, one session of yoga isn't going to change that attitude. Although they walk in the door thinking this might be the fountain of youth for them. It could be if they tried to focus and be mindful.
Very frustrating.
ollie
Posted 2007-04-02 3:24 PM (#82033 - in reply to #81308)

Bruce - 2007-03-26 6:40 PM

Being totally truthful, I wanted to be a teacher because I thought most of my teachers were fruitcakes with no common sense. .

And how has your becoming a teacher improved on this situation?

Posted 2007-04-02 4:18 PM (#82036 - in reply to #82033)

You know Ollie, everybody likes a little a$$ but nobody like a smarta$$...I'll have you know I've been really fighting with myself to avoid making math geek comments--but now you've thrown down the gaunlet. I'm girding for battle...
GreenJello
Posted 2007-04-02 4:32 PM (#82038 - in reply to #81253)

Go get 'em ollie! I figure Bruce for one of those no-nonsense sorts of fellows who's find out that there might be a little bit of truth to some of the fruitiness..... I know I went through something similar, infact I STILL hate the idea of prana. However, at the end of the day it's a simple explaination for a number of things that just don't make sense otherwise.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-02 5:50 PM (#82049 - in reply to #81253)

Hey GJ, do not talk like that about BBB. I will xxxx you.
GreenJello
Posted 2007-04-02 8:05 PM (#82054 - in reply to #81253)

I can take it! I'm tough! I'll take on both you senior yogis in a yogi-off contest. First person to put both feet behind their head, and levitate wins!
tourist
Posted 2007-04-02 8:12 PM (#82055 - in reply to #82054)

Expert Yogi

I'm gonna hang around this thread to see the yogi-off contest!!! And might I say in advance that this thread is useless without pictures?

We'd better keep Nick, fifi and dmbones on hand for first aid....
joscmt
Posted 2007-04-02 9:22 PM (#82058 - in reply to #81253)

I don't teach (not yoga, anyway- cooking yes.. ) But I'm hanging around for this!!
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-02 9:54 PM (#82062 - in reply to #81253)

Hey BBB: Let us show GJ what we can do. I am waiting for your permission.
GreenJello
Posted 2007-04-02 10:07 PM (#82067 - in reply to #82062)

kulkarnn - 2007-04-02 9:54 PM

Hey BBB: Let us show GJ what we can do. I am waiting for your permission.

HEY! No scoring extra points in the yama/niyama category by being respectful of Bruce and polite and all that! Definitely a violation of the rules, as soon as I get done writing them up.

Edited by GreenJello 2007-04-02 10:08 PM
Nick
Posted 2007-04-03 2:09 AM (#82088 - in reply to #82055)

tourist - 2007-04-03 1:12 AM

I'm gonna hang around this thread to see the yogi-off contest!!! And might I say in advance that this thread is useless without pictures?

We'd better keep Nick, fifi and dmbones on hand for first aid....

Hi Glenda,
No way! I want to be increasing the number of injuries, not healing existing ones! Why should Bruce, GJ and Neel get to have all the fun Of course, we'll be using Nick's rules of boxing. It goes like this-you lie down, and I use a series of kicks and punches delivered in rapid succession. When you give in, that's the end of the fight, and the judges decide who has won. You get points for not giving in like a girl too soon. It's character-building
Nick
mishoga
Posted 2007-04-03 7:25 AM (#82095 - in reply to #81253)

Expert Yogi

Thank goodness I have a front row seat. I'll be back. Want to get some popcorn and a drink
When does the fight start
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-03 7:58 AM (#82102 - in reply to #81253)

GJ: Wait until BBB comes back. He is inventing totally new tactics (new alignments, etc.) which you have never even thought of. Those in the front row should be very careful. BBB does not believe in foolish things such as insurance, etc.
mishoga
Posted 2007-04-03 7:59 AM (#82103 - in reply to #81253)

Expert Yogi

So, does that mean this is going to be like a WWW event?
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-03 11:36 AM (#82126 - in reply to #81253)

No, it is an advanced event starting with BBB..
GreenJello
Posted 2007-04-03 12:23 PM (#82134 - in reply to #82102)

kulkarnn - 2007-04-03 7:58 AM

GJ: Wait until BBB comes back. He is inventing totally new tactics (new alignments, etc.) which you have never even thought of. Those in the front row should be very careful. BBB does not believe in foolish things such as insurance, etc.

Oh geez, now I'm worried. You old guys do realize that popping something out of place, or pulling a ligament is instant disqualification right? If anybodies going to get hurt in this one it's going to be because of blunt impact trama, ie my fist, their body, I think Nick was volunteering to be the first pummelee....
Nick
Posted 2007-04-03 12:36 PM (#82137 - in reply to #82134)

Hi there,
Are we allowed to hit above the belt? Once I've finished with your testicular punchbags, I'd like to complete the artwork This will be more like "punch-drunk club" than punch club, I'm going to get one of those deep-sea diving helmets for extra fire-power. Shame no guns allowed-I'd be sure to win against you with your wussy American pea-shooters. I hope you are both spluttering with indignation

Nick

Edited by Nick 2007-04-03 12:37 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)