YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

KD: Flow of Grace
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

Bay Guy
Posted 2007-03-21 9:29 PM (#80782)
Subject: KD: Flow of Grace

Expert Yogi

I just got the new Krishna Das cd Flow of Grace, which has a half dozen different versions of the Hanuman Chalisa on it.  Wonderful recording... I'm just floating in the Chalisa today....

.. bg

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-03-21 10:32 PM (#80786 - in reply to #80782)
Subject: RE: KD: Flow of Grace

Well we know where my music tastes are--when I saw the title, I thought k.d. Lang...duh...
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-21 10:35 PM (#80788 - in reply to #80786)

Bruce - 2007-03-21 10:32 PM

Well we know where my music tastes are--when I saw the title, I thought k.d. Lang...duh...

Hey BBB: When I see you in Austin, I shall sing Hanuman Chalisa for you. That will blow you away!
tourist
Posted 2007-03-21 10:54 PM (#80791 - in reply to #80788)

Expert Yogi

Huh - I thought Kraft Dinner
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-22 2:56 PM (#80873 - in reply to #80782)

Bay Guy - 2007-03-21 9:29 PM

I just got the new Krishna Das cd Flow of Grace, which has a half dozen different versions of the Hanuman Chalisa on it.  Wonderful recording... I'm just floating in the Chalisa today....

.. bg

Dear BG: Do you know why the recording is titled, "Flow of Grace"?
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-03-22 9:54 PM (#80899 - in reply to #80873)

Expert Yogi

Dear Brother Neel,

KD does not specifically explain the title in the liner notes (unless I missed it).  "Grace" is actually a word more associated with evangelical christians -- it is god's blessing on the faithful. I imagine that KD meant suggest that chanting a mahamantra or the Divine Name puts one into a flow of god's grace. But I am sure he would express his intent differently.

The Chalisa is sung through six different melodies on the CD. I've sung the Chalisa dozens of times since I received this disk two days ago -- it is a flow, no doubt.

.. bg

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-23 9:41 AM (#80921 - in reply to #80899)

Bay Guy - 2007-03-22 9:54 PM

Dear Brother Neel,

KD does not specifically explain the title in the liner notes (unless I missed it).  "Grace" is actually a word more associated with evangelical christians -- it is god's blessing on the faithful. I imagine that KD meant suggest that chanting a mahamantra or the Divine Name puts one into a flow of god's grace. But I am sure he would express his intent differently.

The Chalisa is sung through six different melodies on the CD. I've sung the Chalisa dozens of times since I received this disk two days ago -- it is a flow, no doubt.

.. bg

Dear BG:
I asked that question for one reason. If you look at all my material, most of it is instructional, but even otherwise I like to name or depict my work directly. For example, if I am showing chanting, I do not like to make video, as I think chanting is an audio think and my look in the video is totaly irrelevant, nay distrction. Also, when I name the product, I name it directly. You can see this on my products to confirm. Also, if there is a CD or Video or book, I like to give a picture directly of what is inside.

I was told by some of my Yoga Students who have marketing angle that I should make my product somewhat mysterious looking to sell more. Interesting and to my surprise, I checked out it Borders and elsewhere and I found:

- the products have pictures which are so mysterious that I can not figure out relation between what is inside and the picture.

- the Yoga books are filled with pictures of beautiful girls (I have no problem with their being beautiful or sexy)

- Yoga CDs show exercises done on Sand and on wooden planks floating in water, and such B.S.

- And, such.

I am not making conection with your CD at all. I brought up this topic here. If I seem to make such a connection, I apologize ahead.

tourist
Posted 2007-03-23 9:50 AM (#80929 - in reply to #80921)

Expert Yogi

Neel - I find the sand and water in dvd's very strange. I agree. As far as naming albums, I guess they have to be called something. Krishna Das 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. would be a bit boring
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-23 11:20 AM (#80939 - in reply to #80782)

I agree wih you Sistourist. Only thing is I need to get some meaning out of the name. I do not want the name meaining to come out of imagination of the user, but some kind of confirmed understanding. For example, if I prepare a chanting CD on Shree Ganesh Related prayer: I must specify Name of the prayer, Then what the prayer is about, and what the listener shall do with the prayer or how he/she will use it.

If I call it 'Ganesha's Grace', it still will have some meaning. But, it shall depend on the listener.

Sorry, but to take it further, and with apology that I do not know this CD, and with assumptions which may turn out to be wrong: If the name of the CD is "KD/Flow of Grace", How that will inform the user that it is a chanting of Hanuman Chalisa?

Hanuman Chalisa is an extremely Potent Recitation written by a totally realized Saint Tulasidas who also wrote Tulasi Ramayan which is considered a Hindi version of Ramayana as important as the original Sanskrit Ramayana of Valmiki. Hanumana was a great devotee of Rama and was blessed that he shall be accompanied by Rama everywhere. He is worshipped alongwith Rama. And, the prayer contains 40 verses, that is Chalisa, chalisa meaning 40, etc.

Anyway, just steaming off.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-03-23 12:56 PM (#80950 - in reply to #80939)

Neel, if it's any consolation, the complete title of the CD is "Flow of Grace - Chanting the Hanuman Chalisa". I knew nothing about this CD until I read this thread, so I went to Krishna Das' website to find out about it. So, thank you for the discussion!

BayGuy, where did you purchase the CD? It's a double CD with a pronounciation guide as the second disc, right? According to both Amazon and B&N, it's listed as an audiobook, so I'm not sure I'm going to end up with the same product, and there are no track title details. I'm surprised Spirit Voyage isn't carrying it, so other than KD's site, is there anywhere else to get it? I always like to hear samples before I buy anything, whenever possible.

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-23 2:09 PM (#80958 - in reply to #80782)

Now, I feel great. Thanks OM. You should also consdider Hanumanchalisa by Hari OM Sharan, Anuradha Poudwal, etc.
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-03-23 11:13 PM (#81027 - in reply to #80950)

Expert Yogi

Hi OM --

I bought it straight from KD's website.  I was a little put off by the $10.09 shipping charge, but it arrived in *one day* so I don't mind.

As for the audio book, I saw something saying that he planned a book (in addition to this CD) to be released in August.  However, I cannot say what the status of that project is. Amazon sometimes lists things prepublication, i.e., as soon as the publisher sets up the ISBN number in Bowker's Books-in-Print system.

Dear Brother Neel --

The way one would recognize that the CD deals with Sri Hanumana is by the beautiful cover photo, which I have attached below. (I assume KD won't mind this, since maybe you will like to buy this disc after seeing the picture.)

Also, for those who would like to hear KD sing, I believe that Amazon has some short audio samples, but I know that you can hear the first track of "All One" on this link:

http://www.krishnadas.com/flash/look_listen.cfm

... bg

(yhst-60079412829051_1941_86808.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments yhst-60079412829051_1941_86808.jpg (4KB - 118 downloads)
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-03-24 9:15 AM (#81063 - in reply to #81027)

Hi BG,

OK, placed my order as well. Steep shipping charge, no kidding! I've been hearing Krishna Das for a while now at my yoga studio, and the first CD I had bought of his was "All One", which I got at iTunes last summer. Virtually an hour nonstop of "Hare Krishna" kirtan. I took it on a run as my first listen and I'm still so amazed at what a relaxing run that was, and I ran almost the entire length of the CD. That's a lot for me, because I don't consider myself a "runner". That's when I became hooked on this style of music, and his voice specifically. So I know what you mean by "floating" on it, so true.

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-24 7:16 PM (#81095 - in reply to #81027)

Bay Guy - 2007-03-23 11:13 PM

Hi OM --

I bought it straight from KD's website.  I was a little put off by the $10.09 shipping charge, but it arrived in *one day* so I don't mind.

As for the audio book, I saw something saying that he planned a book (in addition to this CD) to be released in August.  However, I cannot say what the status of that project is. Amazon sometimes lists things prepublication, i.e., as soon as the publisher sets up the ISBN number in Bowker's Books-in-Print system.

Dear Brother Neel --

The way one would recognize that the CD deals with Sri Hanumana is by the beautiful cover photo, which I have attached below. (I assume KD won't mind this, since maybe you will like to buy this disc after seeing the picture.)

Also, for those who would like to hear KD sing, I believe that Amazon has some short audio samples, but I know that you can hear the first track of "All One" on this link:

http://www.krishnadas.com/flash/look_listen.cfm

... bg

Dear BG: Yes. I love the picture on the CD and it does convey the message. I think Hanuman or something seems to be written in small letters. I also heard the chanting link you gave. He has very devotional singing no doubt. There is something I am going to PM you since it is personal. Thanks for this clarification. My wife who is a well known Indian Classical Musician (http://www.authenticyoga.org/nancy.html) has attended his program in Madison, Wisconsin. And, after I read your posting, she did explain me his program and work. And, I respect him.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-11-19 11:47 PM (#99683 - in reply to #80782)

Example of a great Shree Hanuman Chalisa chanting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6Z1fGTEAqQ&feature=related
callofsedona
Posted 2014-05-15 2:40 AM (#211499 - in reply to #80782)
Subject: Re: KD: Flow of Grace

Veteran

Yeah, this was kinda a great kind of music.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)