YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Marijuana and Meditation
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

Posted 2007-11-27 5:39 PM (#99916 - in reply to #99902)
Subject: RE: Marijuana and Meditation

What about the benefits of marijuana, jim?

it causes long periods of time to pass by quickly, rob schneider movies to be funny, and increases sexual response in women.

nothing i like better than smoking a doob and having a nice oil massage.

i think moreso than anything, it is important to not be attached to either smoking weed, or also detachment from being against weed.

i have yet to find either.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-11-28 1:06 PM (#99981 - in reply to #99916)

I was simply answering the question "What's wrong with marijuana???"

Yes, there are benefits as well, including medical benefits. There are also medical uses for morphine, but I wouldn't recommend it for non-medical uses either. People who smoke pot on a regular basis are doing a lot of damage to their bodies. People who drink alchohol on a regular basis are also doing a lot of damage to their bodies. People who eat "fast food" on a regular basis are doing a lot of damage as well. Our bodies can only deal with harmful substances on a very limited basis. I think that the key here is the regularity of the use of toxins.

Intoxication is the body's response to toxins (poisons); the body fighting to get rid of them. Intoxication always does damage, but if done infrequently, the body can repair itself.

SCThornley
Posted 2007-11-28 1:44 PM (#99985 - in reply to #99981)

jimg - 2007-11-28 1:06 PM

I was simply answering the question "What's wrong with marijuana???"

Yes, there are benefits as well, including medical benefits. There are also medical uses for morphine, but I wouldn't recommend it for non-medical uses either. People who smoke pot on a regular basis are doing a lot of damage to their bodies. People who drink alchohol on a regular basis are also doing a lot of damage to their bodies. People who eat "fast food" on a regular basis are doing a lot of damage as well. Our bodies can only deal with harmful substances on a very limited basis. I think that the key here is the regularity of the use of toxins.

Intoxication is the body's response to toxins (poisons); the body fighting to get rid of them. Intoxication always does damage, but if done infrequently, the body can repair itself.

Although i agree with you I think the spirit of this whole discussion that really isn't coming forward is what's wrong with the 'Drug War'.

Of course I'm rather Biased by my own perception........

Anniekin
Posted 2007-11-28 9:46 PM (#100022 - in reply to #80572)

whats wrong with marijuana is that like cigarettes as well as with our food and water they are laced with poisonous chemicals.

Posted 2007-11-28 9:55 PM (#100023 - in reply to #100022)

Marijuana is (like alchohol and cigarettes) itself a poisonous chemical, thus the intoxication. You cannot have intoxication without a toxic substance.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-11-29 11:50 AM (#100055 - in reply to #100023)

Expert Yogi

Jim, everything has a purpose. In fact, people can get addicted to almost anything...sex, chai, coffee, junk food, blah blah.

My opinion is that Marijuana is a very natural substance from the earth...it's very natural. Unfortunately, like everything else....marijuana has been exploited and ruined by humans. To top it all off, they added chemicals and pesticides to it, which ruins the basic structure of the plant itself.

So, having that said. 2-weeks ago, I had my tooth pulled and am getting it ready for an implant. I would of have LOVED to have had a joint instead of the laughing gas and anesthea (sp?) they gave me and then, an ounce or so for the pain and discomfort afterwards...rather than those expensive ADDICTIVE LORTABS and that awful anitbiotic that I quit taking due to all the side effects and it was total BS. I only took 1 Lortab that made me constipated and really did nothing for me. However..... For me...marijuana was a much better alternative...unfortunately, the kind of marijuana I like, is rarely available these days unless you go to the jungle or some "pure" land.

So there, I rest my case. Marijuana use is good, it's just like anything...even herbal tea, green tea, honey, coffee whatever....EVERYTHING IN MODERATION!!!!
SCThornley
Posted 2007-11-29 11:52 AM (#100056 - in reply to #80572)

I would say that the Drug War and many policies in place right now are poisonous policies

Posted 2007-11-29 1:17 PM (#100060 - in reply to #100055)

Although marijuana is a poison, the difference between poison and medicine is often in the dosage. If you prefer marijuana to another drug (legal or not) for pain relief, that is (or at least should be) up to you. There are plusses and minuses to all drugs.

There are many natural substances in the environment that are toxic; opium is natural, as is hemlock, deadly nightshade, belladonna and many other plants.

I am not against marijuana for any "moral" reason. Smoking it is simply an unhealthy thing to do. As I said, if used infrequently, the body can repair the damage. If used on a regular basis, it causes a lot of damage, whether in it's "pure" form or it's current adulterated form.
Anniekin
Posted 2007-11-29 4:24 PM (#100071 - in reply to #80572)

I'm not here to advocate marijuana as being wholesome and natural, or having healing properties, or how it induces a state of harmony and love within me.

But jimj you are laughably mistaken.

The euphoria is a result of stimulating increased dopamine activity in the brain.

Not by toxic poisoning although that does occur from the "additives".

Arsenic, strictnine, and ammonium in the case of cigarettes to name a few.

The problem with forums is that some people decide they are enlightened in relation to everybody else to be the authority on any given subject and expect everyone to play along.

Posted 2007-11-29 5:26 PM (#100074 - in reply to #100071)

Whether you want to smoke marijuana once every year or several times a day, it is none of my business. It is your body and you are the only one who will get the results. If you want to trade short term euphoria for long term health problems, that is your choice. At some point in your life you will realize that what really matters happens as a result of becoming more aware of reality, not chemically avoiding it, no matter how pleasant the feeling.

Posted 2007-11-29 5:33 PM (#100075 - in reply to #100074)

http://www.alandiashram.org/html/reviews/marijuana_addiction.html

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-11-29 9:53 PM (#100090 - in reply to #100071)

Hi Annieken: Can you kindly give me some insight into how the dopamine activiy is stimulated with M? I mean when M is taken, approx what happens to increase the dopamine activity? Thanks in advance.

Anniekin - 2007-11-29 4:24 PM

I'm not here to advocate marijuana as being wholesome and natural, or having healing properties, or how it induces a state of harmony and love within me.

But jimj you are laughably mistaken.

The euphoria is a result of stimulating increased dopamine activity in the brain.

Not by toxic poisoning although that does occur from the "additives".

Arsenic, strictnine, and ammonium in the case of cigarettes to name a few.

The problem with forums is that some people decide they are enlightened in relation to everybody else to be the authority on any given subject and expect everyone to play along.

Cyndi
Posted 2007-11-29 10:27 PM (#100093 - in reply to #100075)

Expert Yogi

Interesting observation Annekein,

Dhan, where do you find these articles????!!?? I'm not addicted to marijuana, in fact, I haven't had it in like forever!! Although...if I ever got the "pure" stuff....for me, having a marijuana joint is no different than drinking an occasional glass of wine or a beer. Besides...these days, breathing air is almost bad for your health,

Balance and moderation in all things......it's such an interesting concept and requires lots of discipline. It's an interesting practice.

This reminds me of something my husband told me about his Father, who is 100% Punjabi. The Nepali Sherpas used to bring him this black substance down from the Himalayas. He would call his closest friends to their home and the men would smoke it. Any ideas on what that substance might of been??? Anyone care to take a wild stab at it, heehehe
SCThornley
Posted 2007-11-30 9:37 AM (#100118 - in reply to #100093)

Cyndi - 2007-11-29 10:27 PM

Interesting observation Annekein,

Dhan, where do you find these articles????!!?? I'm not addicted to marijuana, in fact, I haven't had it in like forever!! Although...if I ever got the "pure" stuff....for me, having a marijuana joint is no different than drinking an occasional glass of wine or a beer. Besides...these days, breathing air is almost bad for your health,

Balance and moderation in all things......it's such an interesting concept and requires lots of discipline. It's an interesting practice.

This reminds me of something my husband told me about his Father, who is 100% Punjabi. The Nepali Sherpas used to bring him this black substance down from the Himalayas. He would call his closest friends to their home and the men would smoke it. Any ideas on what that substance might of been??? Anyone care to take a wild stab at it, heehehe

the squeezed resin from the Marijuana flowers--also considered a form of milking the plant

you rub it between your hands, gently, careful not to kill the plant and squeeze the resin and then rub it off your hands onto a clean cloth then

you ball it up and smoke it
Nick
Posted 2007-11-30 12:35 PM (#100127 - in reply to #100118)

Hi all,
According to this site, marijuana doesn't affect dopamine:
http://users.lycaeum.org/~sputnik/Drugs/THC/Health/mj.brain.html

Nick

Posted 2007-11-30 1:41 PM (#100130 - in reply to #100127)

Whether marijuana should be legal or not is a totally different question. Cigarettes and alcohol are legal and they are both bad for your health.

What's wrong with marijuana???

It causes lung cancer and bronchitis, memory loss and the inability to organize and integrate complex information, reduced sperm production and erectile dysfunction, increased risk of stroke or heart attack (due to increased blood pressure/heart rate and reduced oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood), impairment of the immune system, various short and long term mental illnesses and can result in arrest and possibly prison, depending where you live.

If you are aware of the health risks of cigarettes, alcohol or marijuana and think that the trade off is worth it, that is your decision. I think that it is irresponsible to extol possible virtues of marijuana use without including possible negative effects.
SCThornley
Posted 2007-11-30 1:57 PM (#100131 - in reply to #100130)

jimg - 2007-11-30 1:41 PM

Whether marijuana should be legal or not is a totally different question. Cigarettes and alcohol are legal and they are both bad for your health.

What's wrong with marijuana???

It causes lung cancer and bronchitis, memory loss and the inability to organize and integrate complex information, reduced sperm production and erectile dysfunction, increased risk of stroke or heart attack (due to increased blood pressure/heart rate and reduced oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood), impairment of the immune system, various short and long term mental illnesses and can result in arrest and possibly prison, depending where you live.

If you are aware of the health risks of cigarettes, alcohol or marijuana and think that the trade off is worth it, that is your decision. I think that it is irresponsible to extol possible virtues of marijuana use without including possible negative effects.

I do not disagree with you, and I think it's irresponsible to even talk about marijuana without criticizing the policies that are in place in the USA criminalizing it.

The Drug War is at best a jobs program and at worst destroying the social fabric of our generation.

We should do better.

Besides, I'm not loosing any sleep over anybody cultivating, trafficking, selling, buying, or using any illegal drugs, what I loose sleep over is the consequences of bad education and a police state taking away my constitutional rights.

Posted 2007-11-30 2:48 PM (#100134 - in reply to #100131)

ST,
The only thing that the "War on Drugs" has done is limit supply and therefore raise prices, making it more desirable to grow, import and sell drugs as the profit is greater. This has lead to more gangs and more urban violence. (Personally, I think that most drugs should be legalized, controlled and taxed. Instead of spending billions of dollars, we could collect tax revenue that could be used for drug education and treatment.)
jimg
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-12-01 7:04 AM (#100165 - in reply to #80572)

I think I mentioned this somewhere else before, and was scoffed at. I really believe it though. I think marijuana will never be legal in the US for exactly that reason. If it were legalized so many people would just grow their own. The government wouldn't get that money, and I'm sure they know. It also doesn't translate over into pill form, and measurable doses. The medical community would never go for that. I feel bad for people fighting cancer who could get some relief from using marijuana but are not going to break the law.
SCThornley
Posted 2007-12-01 10:49 AM (#100173 - in reply to #100134)

jimg - 2007-11-30 2:48 PM

ST,
The only thing that the "War on Drugs" has done is limit supply and therefore raise prices, making it more desirable to grow, import and sell drugs as the profit is greater. This has lead to more gangs and more urban violence. (Personally, I think that most drugs should be legalized, controlled and taxed. Instead of spending billions of dollars, we could collect tax revenue that could be used for drug education and treatment.)
jimg

Yes, again, I agree with you.

It is tearing the fabric of civilized society apart.

I disagree that everyone would simply grow marijuana, because, not everyone grows their own lettuce or tomatoes or whatever........

I mean really, folks who don't already grow things for fun or profit will not jump into growing their own medicine, some will but that will be a small minority.

No where should the subject of drugs be discussed without fully discussing the negative impacts of prohibition.

It's not right or sustainable for 'Big Brother Government and Corporation" to tell us what is legal and right to consume, it is an individual's responsibility to make educated choices

I like to go to dine in restaurants that don't allow smoking, so, less people are smoking cigarettes in my immediate area-------THAT is how to deal with smoking anything, SOCIALLY not criminally.

We have a more politicized and militarized society here in the USA, and really it's time to stop eating what we're being force fed and say that enough is enough.

The Drug War policies are wrong headed, and absolutely a failure.

People do drugs, whether they sniff, smoke, inject, eat or whatever else there is.

Doing drugs is not acceptable behavior in most societal settings, and promoting civilized society is what civilized people do, NOT promoting criminal behavior which is what the present power structure and ruling class elites and laws in place are doing.

We should do better, we are better than this, I'm not proud of where we are as a nation right now.

I would rather my children have the choice to do drugs or not and choose to not do them than to not do them because the government will confiscate all your property and sentence you to a lengthy prison sentence if they catch you breaking the law.

It's as if we're not considered responsible enough as a citizenry to be allowed free will by our ruling class.

Marijuana and all types of plants may be used in certain ceremonies, however they are not necessary, but in the USA we don't even have the freedom to legally make a choice.

We don't have that FREEDOM.

It's as if in this case, we're already in prison, here in the USA.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-12-01 1:31 PM (#100181 - in reply to #100173)

I disagree that everyone would simply grow marijuana, because, not everyone grows their own lettuce or tomatoes or whatever........

I just want to say that a head of lettuce is about a dollar. Economics is a powerful motivator.
SCThornley
Posted 2007-12-01 1:54 PM (#100183 - in reply to #80572)

point well taken---

not everyone gathers truffles, or mines gold or diamonds or coal, not everyone grows their own tobacco, or brews their own beer, or roasts their own coffee........

the list goes on.

My point is, drug use is a social issue, and should be dealt with socially, not criminally.

More people die from cigarettes and alcohol related issues than marijuana or whatever other illegal drug you want for whatever the reasons so..........
Cyndi
Posted 2007-12-02 12:15 PM (#100211 - in reply to #100181)

Expert Yogi

This is soo funny...this argument over marijuana has been going on like forever. Some things never change.

bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-12-02 1:33 PM (#100218 - in reply to #80572)

Hey Steve, I see what you're saying. Now I'm thinking brand names, slogans, catchy jingles,...
SCThornley
Posted 2007-12-02 3:01 PM (#100219 - in reply to #100218)

bstqltmkr - 2007-12-02 1:33 PM

Hey Steve, I see what you're saying. Now I'm thinking brand names, slogans, catchy jingles,...

???

for what?

Store brand pot?

I think that's putting the cart in front of the horse
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)