YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is it Migraines?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

chase76in
Posted 2007-03-20 6:55 AM (#80513)
Subject: Is it Migraines?

About 8 months ago I was having pretty regular headaches with spells of hotheadedness. I went to the doctor and was told is was likely stress related migraines. So I tried not to stress so much and the symptoms started lessening (I got a dog too) I’ve also been taking maxalt when the episodes get bad.

Up until a couple of weeks ago I hadn't had a bad episode in months. Then today I had a pretty bad one ... I had just got off the phone with my husband and was fine. Then I was playing with my dogs and all of the sudden I felt sort of dizzy (lucky I was sitting) the feeling lasted for about 5 or 10 mins and now I have a headache.

This seems to happen more when I get up too fast or it I throw my head back (like to escape doggy kisses) or close my eyes too tight. But sometimes it happens for no reason ... The other day I got the lightheaded feeling just laying in bed.

Could this just be migraines or something else?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2007-03-20 10:03 AM (#80539 - in reply to #80513)
Subject: RE: Is it Migraines?

Expert Yogi

chase - it could well be migraines or it could be something else. Hate to be unhelpful, but it is so hard to give good advice on something like this without knowing you or being a doctor I am not familiar with maxalt but it looks like (I did a quick google) it is a tryptan, which I know. If that works for your headache, it probably means it is a migraine or at least something that has a migraine-like mechanism as far as the blood vessels go.

So - do you practice yoga? Do you have a teacher who can give you practices to address this? Personally, I have had a really good change in the frequency of my migraines over the years of practicing Iyengar yoga. Not a quick fix, but it does seem to work to keep my neck happy.
Orbilia
Posted 2007-03-20 10:08 AM (#80545 - in reply to #80539)

I echo Tourist here but would also encourage you to go back to your doctor. If you haven't had tests before, I think it would be adviseable to get some as there are physical conditions that could give you the same symptoms.

Fee
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-20 11:25 AM (#80552 - in reply to #80513)

Dear Tourist and Orbilla:
If you remember, I had written to you a couple of years (perhaps) ago that I shall inform you about how my wife (who married me 2+ years ago) and had migration during the monthly cycle since the age of 13, is doing after she followed my suggestions. I am not going to give those suggestions here, as they depend on person. But, I had promised you to inform what the result was.

She took a strong tablet called Immitrix from age 13 to 47 which they said was MUST for her. She has not taken it even once after she married me. And, her migraines which were almost deadly have gone to negligible ones.

Thus, any medication for migraines should be trashed. Well, I already told you one of the suggestions I gave her. She also told me that it costs her 40 dollars a month for this stupid medication.

That is why I was surprised when Isola wrote in one thread that she is going to get some headaches from some medications, and that medication she must take though it gives headache, and now she wants some asanas which shall work with that headache. What a headache!
tourist
Posted 2007-03-20 6:01 PM (#80607 - in reply to #80552)

Expert Yogi

Wow Neel - imitrex is an amazing but very strong drug. I have used it but would be terrified to use it that often for that long. I am so glad Nancy has been able to stop using it! and yes, it is very expensive.

Isola wasn't taking the medication for headaches. The medication she is on for something else is givng her headaches. Sometimes that is tolerable and goes away after a day or so but you can imagine my response to this - I don't take anything that gives me more headaches! Just more yoga to get fewer headaches
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-20 10:25 PM (#80645 - in reply to #80513)

Dear Nancy got many benefits: a) much much reduction in migraine. b) No fear of migraine any more. c) NO medication at all d) Better health e) better music f) much more energy g) etc. etc.

All these came after trashing the immitrix.

I understood Isola correctly. And, she should trash that thing which results in headache.
dmbones
Posted 2007-03-21 1:02 AM (#80656 - in reply to #80513)

Welcome, Chase.

Raising up too quickly can result in failure to deliver enough blood to your head and you can get dizzy, maybe even pass out briefly. This may be from hypoglycemia or low blood sugar (in case you don't eat very well). Or, from adrenal gland deficiency not contracting blood vessels fast enough (in case you don't handle your stress very well). These are metabolic possibilities, each with a different remedy.

But, what you describe could also be the result of mechanical causes. If you face forward and turn your head fully to the right, then to the left, can you turn further, more comfortably one way than the other? Upper cervical vertebra dyskinesis (abnormal motion) could easily cause symptoms of dizziness, light-headedness and headache. Also, dizziness moving the head can result from mechanical malposition of the rhinoliths (small stones) in the semi-circular canals in the ears that nerves use to interpret our physical orientation in gravity.

Your ability to put your chin comfortably behind each collarbone would be helpful to know.

Michael

madenjeremia
Posted 2007-03-21 2:20 AM (#80658 - in reply to #80513)

Migraines are very painful headaches that usually begin on only one side of the head and may become worse with exposure to light.

I took Migravent and guys it really works. Prior to taking Migravent, I was suffering from migraines for many years. And since taking Migravent it has reduced the number of migraines as well as their intensity. I recommend it for anyone suffering from migraines. I have not had any side effects from taking Migravent.
samantha77
Posted 2007-03-24 12:59 PM (#81077 - in reply to #80513)

Extreme Veteran

I just read your symptoms,and I agree that you should see a doctor, but I did have similar symptoms at one point.  I had just switched to a vegetarian diet, and was not being careful to get the proper nutrition.  I was very fatigued, but would also get very light headed, to the point where if I stood up too quickly, my vision would get very hazy for a few moments.  When I began to make sure I was getting the nutrients I needed, the symtoms went away.  Have you made any changes to your diet recently?

Samantha

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)