YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why are private classes so $$$
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

CathleenH
Posted 2007-03-08 2:16 PM (#79602)
Subject: Why are private classes so $$$

I read the thread on this board about what teachers make per class. It sounded like some could be making as little as $25 per class, and those making $75 would be doing well. My doctor referred me to a teacher who charges $150 per hour. She was good, but I had issues come up after the first two sessions and I couldn't afford to pay hundreds more to resolve them so I gave up practicing at home.

I'm sure teachers devote a couple of hours to each class. They have to get to the studio, arrive early to check students in, and hang out for a while afterwards. That has to cut in to their hourly rate of pay. I'd pay $50/hour for weekly instruction in somone's home. Even at $75 I could afford to come occasionally. Is there a reason why nobody offers lower-cost individual instruction?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
mishoga
Posted 2007-03-08 2:23 PM (#79604 - in reply to #79602)
Subject: RE: Why are private classes so $$$

Expert Yogi

I personally charge between $75++++ to do private lessons. It all depends upon the distance I must drive.
I can't explain why this woman charges so much. Only she can answer that for you. Have you spoken with her about finances? you should if you haven't.

How our pay is divided up between the time we spend teaching, traveling, accounting, paying insurance, etc...... People only see us in the studio but do not know all that is involved to maintain a consistent practice for all involved. It's much more than the 60-90 minutes you have with a teacher.
Plus, it's rare that I'm starting a class and finishing within 60 minutes. Privates are 90 minutes at the least with first session always being $$$ for evaluation of student.

There should be someplace you could go for reasonable yoga instruction. Have you made calls around town?

Edited by mishoga 2007-03-08 2:25 PM

Posted 2007-03-08 3:40 PM (#79615 - in reply to #79602)
Subject: RE: Why are private classes so

nobody who?

i often work on a sliding scale if the person can demonstrate to me that they need that scale. you might talk to the instructor that you used to discover if she has the same policy. on occassion, i've given free private lesson to persons in great need.

yogabrian
Posted 2007-03-08 6:57 PM (#79626 - in reply to #79602)

I also have done sliding scale. I even used to trade a family a batch of yummy enchiladas a month for 1 private class a week.

Zbird is right on, asking could lead to good things for private sessions!
tourist
Posted 2007-03-08 7:04 PM (#79628 - in reply to #79602)

Expert Yogi

Cathleen - that is a mighty high fee, all right. I hope that teacher is "rock star" calibre I can't tell you why it is that much, but it is a shame you have stopped home practice. Can you get to a class?

Posted 2007-03-09 8:56 AM (#79677 - in reply to #79602)

i'm with tourist about the fee. in our area, the newbie teachers charge $40 per hour for private lessons, and those with 5 or more years of experience charge $80. those who are the rock stars in our area (regional rock stars you could say) charge $150. the big names--national rock stars--charge $250 for private lesson.

but, like brian, i would definately trade for enchiladas. man, i love enchiladas.
mishoga
Posted 2007-03-09 12:22 PM (#79697 - in reply to #79602)

Expert Yogi

Actually, the true "Rock Stars" charge $2500 for a private session. Amazing, isn't it?

Posted 2007-03-09 2:55 PM (#79706 - in reply to #79602)

which 'true rock stars?'

last i checked, shiva rae was $250, berly was $250, . . .

maybe you mean jois, iyengar, etc?
mishoga
Posted 2007-03-09 3:01 PM (#79708 - in reply to #79602)

Expert Yogi

In California there are some teachers that cater to the stars and they charge that amount. Maybe not movie star yogis but getting paid as such. I read it in one of the yoga mags awhile back!

Posted 2007-03-09 3:10 PM (#79710 - in reply to #79602)

Wonder what Rainbeau Mars charges for privates? I just chatted with her the other night as I was using her "Pure Sweat" video for my class as a reward for coming to the last class before spring break (then I tortured them making them do uttitha trikonasana until they got at least close). She's updated her web site and has new DVDs out that really showcase her prowess. The class loved her.
http://www.rainbeaumars.com/

Posted 2007-03-09 3:19 PM (#79714 - in reply to #79602)

bruce:

you should ask.

mish:

ah, i see what you mean. some yoga teachers get paid more to work with famous folks because of the special needs of the famous folks in regards to scheduling and cancellation policies, time spent in travel, and confidentiality agreements.

i guess that's 'teachers to rock stars' and not 'rock star teachers.'

i did have a 'rock star' whom i didn't recognize in my classroom once. he paid the same $15 as everyone else.

Posted 2007-03-09 3:39 PM (#79717 - in reply to #79714)

I bet you had Darryl Hall ZB--I hear he still lurks about the 'hood.

Posted 2007-03-09 4:12 PM (#79721 - in reply to #79602)

i have no clue.

someone else, after class, said to me: "do you know who that IS?"

and i said: "no, he's new to the studio."

she rolls her eyes and said: "no, i mean, who he IS!"

and i said: "i have no clue who he is."

and she said "but he's a famous musician!"

and i said "oh, that's cool."

and she said, "you know, NAME!"

and i said "that's cool. oh yes, here's his name right on the waiver form."

and she said "yes, he's FAMOUS!"

and i said "ok. i still have no idea who he is."

i didn't recognize the name or face. you know, i'm just like that. i mean, i love the band U2, but aside from 'bono' and "the edge'--and i assume they wouldn't sign their yoga waivers that way--i wouldn't recognize the other members, or know them by their names, and i've always noticed that famous people don't look the same 'close up' as they do on screen or in pictures, so i hardly recognize them anyway.

and when i do, i don't care. LOL
mishoga
Posted 2007-03-09 5:01 PM (#79725 - in reply to #79602)

Expert Yogi

I'm sure that guy appreciated the fact you didn't recognize him.

I love Rainbeau! She is one hot momma! Especially now that she fixed her teeth! I also think Hemalaya (I think that's her name) is awesome. She teaches Yoga, Yoga Dance and Bollywood Dance.

I would pay $250 for a private with Shiva! No poopies, I would!

Edited by mishoga 2007-03-09 5:06 PM

Posted 2007-03-09 5:32 PM (#79732 - in reply to #79725)

OK, I wasn't gonna tell but I just can't stand it. My regular class last night, a new girl came from another class to make up for a missed session (it's college so attendance is required). I was SO in the flow last night being the last class before spring break; had 'em sweating, laughing, learning and even played guitar softly during savasana. THen, gave out the "Limber Leperchaun" award to the student of the night (a little ceramic leperchaun as St. Paddy's is coming). THe new girl came up to me afterwards to get my signature to certify her attendance then said, "That was awesome! THat's the best class I've ever been to--I'm transferring!" OMG, can you imagine how that made me feel?? Wonder if she'd pay $250 for a private? Nah, she get's a free one
Rodenyogi
Posted 2007-03-15 4:52 PM (#80149 - in reply to #79714)

zoebird - 2007-03-09 2:19 PM

bruce:

you should ask.

mish:

ah, i see what you mean. some yoga teachers get paid more to work with famous folks because of the special needs of the famous folks in regards to scheduling and cancellation policies, time spent in travel, and confidentiality agreements.

i guess that's 'teachers to rock stars' and not 'rock star teachers.'

i did have a 'rock star' whom i didn't recognize in my classroom once. he paid the same $15 as everyone else.

I think the only reason they (Yoga Instructors to the stars) charge so much is because they can. I don't know if that is greed, or playing the market. I guess in the end it all comes down to how honest one is to oneself about truly "being in service" to others. Where I live (Southern Indiana) you are lucky to get 35 USD for private lessons, even for 1000+ hour accredited instructors.

Posted 2007-03-15 10:46 PM (#80191 - in reply to #79602)

different markets will bear different prices too. phila main-line teachers get paid more for classes and private lessons than those of us further out in the environs. classes over that direction are more expensive too.

but, i know that scheduling is a huge aspect with 'the stars.' they like a certain amount of availabililty and exclusivity. so, if they can make it worth your while to keep only a few clients, so taht you have more availability for them (and will travel to get to them and be willing to take a cancellation at a moment's notice), then they will.

the flip side can be a mess though. one of my friends is a 'massage therapist' to stars and she'll have to show up at a famous person's house well after midnite to give a massage (and she gets paid about $1,000 for that massage plus tip), but she might also arrive and the person's gone to bed, or whatever is called to set (say it was a different time of day) or some other work-related event. and there you have it.
GreenJello
Posted 2007-03-15 11:07 PM (#80195 - in reply to #80191)

zoebird - 2007-03-15 10:46 PM

the flip side can be a mess though. one of my friends is a 'massage therapist' to stars and she'll have to show up at a famous person's house well after midnite to give a massage (and she gets paid about $1,000 for that massage plus tip), but she might also arrive and the person's gone to bed, or whatever is called to set (say it was a different time of day) or some other work-related event. and there you have it.

Hmmm.... a massage therapist who makes over a thousand dollars a call, arrives after midnight, and often has clients who are in bed.... is there a reason why there are quotes around massage therapist? Does she give the "happy ending?"

Edited by GreenJello 2007-03-15 11:22 PM
Nick
Posted 2007-03-16 4:19 AM (#80205 - in reply to #80195)

Hi there,
One of my old students taught Madonna for a while-apparently she used to send a car to pick him up from london and drive him the 80 miles to her country pad. Unbelievable.

Nick
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-16 7:16 AM (#80212 - in reply to #80205)

That is called karma - fate! As long as Madonna got what she wanted to learn from him, and he wanted to give it to her, and had that to give it to her, that seems a natural course of action.

I know one Indian teacher who could not make enough to eat one meal a day while in youth, once had an opportunity to visit Europe, and now can earn upto 10,000 dollars per hour if he wants without any question. But, ironically, he does not need any money now and gives away all that earning.

karmaa!!!
joscmt
Posted 2007-03-16 10:39 AM (#80233 - in reply to #79602)

mish- you aren't kiddin'! I've never seen her before.. so I looked at her site. She's gorgeous!
If I had an extra $250 laying around, I'd pay that for Shiva too!
tourist
Posted 2007-03-16 7:07 PM (#80255 - in reply to #80233)

Expert Yogi

People also have a tendency to set high rates for things they don't particularly care to do. Mr. Tourist has done this in the past. Then when people really want the service, you feel like you are being properly paid for an unpleasant task. But I think people charge what they can get away with - why not?

Posted 2007-03-16 7:56 PM (#80259 - in reply to #79602)

I did a proposal for a hotel chain last year--they wanted yoga by the pool at sunrise each morning for the guests. I submitted $125/hr and guaranteed they'd have a teacher and lined up folks to conduct the class. The hotel (Marriot) thought it was too much as "classes are only $15 in town. I told them bite me in more business like terms--they want sunrise 7/days a week, they're a for-profit concern, they need to pay. They passed and nobody else bid. Meanwhile the resort next door, (Hyatt) has yoga and gets the high-end cusotmers. Of course having yoga isn't the only reason but Hyatt seems to walk-the-walk of getting what you pay for.

Posted 2007-03-17 9:13 AM (#80280 - in reply to #79602)

ture enough there bruce. one would have to pay me a lot to teach before 8 am. i'm just not at my best before 8 am. one of my employers wanted me to teach at 6:30 am and i told her she'd have to pay me about what you offered, and she balked. i said "look, it's just not a good time for me."

and there it is. btw, i didn't get the job (thank god).
SCThornley
Posted 2007-03-17 3:39 PM (#80296 - in reply to #79602)

We can not be unrealistic about what sort of hourly rate we charge for our time.

We must value our time realistically, consider the cost of all materials involved from water, food, fuel, electricity, insurance, and then multiply it by your personal coefficient of value.

My time is not cheap, I recommend that you consider your's nothing less than valuable.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)