YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Getting remotivated
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

belle vie
Posted 2007-03-08 10:07 AM (#79566)
Subject: Getting remotivated

Veteran

Hello to all! I'm a new member and have read many of your very interesting comments. So, I thought, I would jump in with a question. How do you keep motivated and get remotivated to continue your exercise program? Right now I am demotivated--I just do not want to do it!

First, I will say a little about my experience. One of your members said he became interested in Yoga because of the Beatles. Well, I was studying sitar in India before the Beatles got there. This not bragging or complaining! I am just setting a time frame. I have been doing Yoga for four years--stopped, started again, and Pilates for three years. I'm at beginnming Yoga and intermediate Pilates. I swim two times a week for an hour each time and alternate Yoga and Pilates the other days. If I feel too tired I stop for a day or two or dance Salsa . Right now I am stuck. I don't want to do anything except maybe swim which I have done all my life.

Has anybody been there? Can anybody help me get going again? Hope to hear from you!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2007-03-08 7:10 PM (#79630 - in reply to #79566)
Subject: RE: Getting remotivated

Expert Yogi

belle - you have given us a good clue to your age! My advice is to stop thinking about a fitness program. Wake up each day and decide what you would LIKE to do then do it. Find a new yoga class, join a masters swim club or try a swing dance class (I do ballroom myself ) Face it, you are old enough to do what you want to do instead of what you "should" do. Have some fun! Or take Neel's advice du jour and go on a nice vacation
belle vie
Posted 2007-03-09 10:53 AM (#79688 - in reply to #79630)

Veteran

Hello. tourist. Thanks for geting back to me. I quess you are pretty good at math! The best thing about doing what you want is to be able to NOT do what you DON"T want. I do live your advice and it is a true pleasure. I really like Yoga, Pilates, swimming and dance. There is sheer pleasure in feeling the body move in all of these marvelous ways. I have started a slightly more advanced Yoga program that includes variations on what I can almost do. I'm looking for a similar program in Pilates, one that plays on what I know but pushes me a bit further.

Thanks so much for your cheery advice except I can't go on vacation because I am on permanent vacation in the South Of France.
tourist
Posted 2007-03-09 7:32 PM (#79746 - in reply to #79688)

Expert Yogi

Belle - my math sucks, but I was the one who said I did yoga because of the Beatles. I was around back then, too Living in the south of France does sound like a permanent vacation - lucky you! I am on the west coast of British Columbia - another area where many, many folks love to retire or come on holidays. It is frankly very difficult to get me to take holidays elsewhere, so I understand. Good luck with the yoga and finding new ways to challenge yourself!
belle vie
Posted 2007-03-27 9:52 AM (#81381 - in reply to #79566)

Veteran

Hello again! I think I am getting started again with new Pilates and Yoga DVDs but decided to take your advice (tourist, itchy, and others) to find a good teacher. NOT easy here in Montpellier, Fr. There are lots of Yoga classes but I could find only one that teaches Pilates Mat with a "wellness/fitness "program. This school is called The Arjuna Studio. The instructor does not seem to be fully certified in the Pilates method but has Pilates training and is a long term fitness instructor, but,I am somewhat concerned.

Has anyone heard of this studio? Is it really important to have a fully certified instructor? Does anyone know of other schools in this area?
Bubble
Posted 2008-04-17 12:21 PM (#106374 - in reply to #81381)

Hi Belle vie
Really interested to hear if things have got better with the yoga. Am moving to Montpellier in July/August.. from London and am keen to keep up my yoga. I just started Bikram yoga which is fantastic! ... and would really appreciate any insights into the yoga/salsa Montpellier scene.
thinmint123
Posted 2008-04-24 2:43 PM (#106608 - in reply to #79566)

Totally know that feeling. I teach Pilates and afraid to admit that because I have been so busy with work that now I am well out of practice and intimidated at the thought of getting back on that reformer! Pilates is hard and well, I guess I am afraid to see where my muscle memory has disappeared too -- and I guess afraid of failure. So what I did was suck up the expense and scheduled one-on-one private sessions with an instructor. This helped with motivation, because someone was waiting for me at a scheduled time -- and also gave me the hand holding I needed to jump start my routine again. Expensive but well worth it in the long run. Now I am back on track with my own self practice. So I would hire a personal trainer to get you over that hump -- whether at the gym or at a Pilates studio. You will start to get those endorphins kicking in again, become addicted to the feeling and then have the self motivation back (plus see the results which is always nice!)
If you are in NYC or Los Angeles -- my studio is called Core Pilates NYC. Fantastic place with top notch trainers -- even calling them would inspire you.
www.corepilatesnyc.com

Good luck.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)