YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sequences..
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

TampaEric
Posted 2007-03-06 8:55 AM (#79310)
Subject: Sequences..

Here's a sequence that I'm using in Flow and Power classes.

Any teachers want to take a look at it and makes suggestions?

Eric

Standing
Mandala Namaskara (Shiva Rea)
Ardha Chandrasana
Pandangustasana A
Trikonasana
Parvitta Trikonasana
Uttitha Trikonasana
Uttitha Parsvottanasana
Prasaritta Padottanasana move to Pyramid
Pyramid
Uttitha Hasta Padangusthasana A (switch hands for dancer)
Natarajasana
Bakasana
Utkasasana
Parsva Utkasana
Pasrva Bakasana
Utkasasana
Parsva Utkasana
Pasrva Bakasana
Seated
Virasana
Baddha Konasana
Ardha Matsyendrasana
Pasasana
Krounchasana
Salabhasana
Kapotanasana
Bhekasana
Urdhva Danurasana
Ushtrasana
Supta Virasana
Child's Pose
Bharadvajasana
Move to wall
Pincha Mayurasana
Handstand
Finishing
Supta Baddha Konasana
core (usually Navasana or Lolasana)
Setu Bandasana
Shoulderstand/plow
fish
Spinal twist
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-03-06 9:37 AM (#79312 - in reply to #79310)
Subject: RE: Sequences..

it's a rather advanced sequence overall--something that i would lead in my more advanced power classes, certainly not a mixed level unless there were a number of alternatives for a number of the postures listed for those who would be doing 'prep work' for those poses rather than simply having people do those poses as beginners. so, a challenge or advanced class, likely.

my all levels classes are more moderate, with basics and advanced postures with alternatives.
TampaEric
Posted 2007-03-06 10:21 AM (#79314 - in reply to #79310)

Hi Zoe Bird,

Yes our power classes are very tough. www.yogani.com

Where would cut back on the flow classes?
My flow classes are pretty tough too, I guess. I do make lots of alternative suggestions.

Thanks for the input.

Eric

Posted 2007-03-06 10:48 AM (#79316 - in reply to #79310)

uhm, ok, here are some examples of my levels when i do level out. these are examples of vinyasa/power vinyasa yoga classes that i teach.

brand new beginners (level 1)

in this class, we intro sun salutations. i start with Om in mountain pose.

warm up--

mountain; rag doll forward bend; downward dog; cat stretches; gentle lunges; and work our way back up to mountain.

body of the class--

over the course of the session (usually 10 weeks), i teach each posture individually. the first class is usually working on mountain pose and then finding mula and uddiyana bandha. lots of abdominal work in the first class. second class works on forward bending and downward dog. third class works on walking back and forward from forward bend to plank and down dog, walking forward from downward dog. the third, fourth and fifth classes work plank, chaturanga, and upward dog. the fifth and sixth classes work utkatasana and warrior I. the seventh and eighth classes work the process of vinyasa through the series slowly. and then nineth and tenth classes reinforce the whole vinyasa series. from there, they advance to level 1/2.

closing the class--

each class ends with a discussion of the poses and a discussion of yoga philosophy in relation to those postures. we also have a short meditation period.

level 1/2

my level 1/2s are those who have the general idea of the sun salutations, but not necessarily all the quirks worked out of chaturanga, updog, and down dog, or the lunging process. we warm up as above, and then work on vinyasa with 'growing' sun salutations. we start with half sun salutation (inhale mt, exhale, forward bend, inhale, flat back, exhale forward bend, inhale mt). and then we go to a 'step back' sun a, then a whole sun a, then a step back sun b (and a slow warrior series in that b), and then a whole sun b. and then i do the basic standing series of my class.

standing series is warrior I, II, side angle, triangle, wide leg forward bend, anjenay's pose (runners lunge or warrior 1/2), standing split, half moon balance, forward bend, crow pose, and then back to downward dog and repeat on the other side.

the closing series is downward facing pidgeon, bridge and upward bow, wind relieving and spinal twists, then savasana. we usually practice ujjayi pranayama after savasana. and then we have a 20 minute discussion about something or other--whether it's asana or idea.

all levels classes

i do the usual warm up, and then i will do either full on sun salutations (if no one is brand new to the class) or i'll do half if the beginners are really, really raw, or step backs if they're fairly comfortable with movement, or if they're really confident beginners i'll do some step back and some full on.

after sun salutations, i typically do utkatasana series (utkatasana, with twist, then followed by crow with the option for crane for the more advanced as well as the option for headstand if they want it). this goes back to downward dog and sometimse i'll toss in some side planks here, sometimes not.

then i go into the standing series as above (in level 1/2).

if there's enough time, i'll bring them back to standing and do some more balancing poses such as eagle, utthita hasta padangustasana, daikasana, warrior III, dancers, tree.

after this, we do hip openers--pidgeon, fire log pose (sometimes called 'double pidgeon), and then forward bends such as janu sirsasana (for advanced in the room they can do ardha padma paschimottanasana).

then we move into back bends--i'll typically do cobra, dhanurasana, camel (option for hero), and bridge/upward bow (wheel for the advanced).

shoudlerstand series; rest or headstand optional. spinal twist and savasana. working dirgha pranayama in savasana; doing some sort of pranayama at the end--usually nadishoddhana.

more advanced classes

typically have more just tossed in--more vinyasas between sets (that is, after crow or whatever, do a vinyasa to downward dog), more arm balances and inversions. just more of everything, and some postures simply more advanced than before.

and then other times, i completely turn on them and we simply hold postures for a long time, come to rest, and then repeat. that's always cool. they hate those. but, we can work the details. which they love.

it's just totally experimental. i don't get to teach these often, as mos of my classes are drop in, all levels. so, we usually get a lot of beginners (i just got a whole new group of BNBs on monday). but, when we do have that rare class where everyone's been at it for a couple of years, we try a lot of fun things.
TampaEric
Posted 2007-03-06 11:51 AM (#79324 - in reply to #79310)

Very interesting. I use the Sun Salutes too, but sometimes the Maha Namaskar or Mandala Namaskar works wonders. Our classes are expected to be pretty tough, and there are other studios that offer gentler yoga.

We have Yoga 101 which teaches people the basics.

I mean I'm there adjusting and making suggestions, but I can't keep my regulars if I give them a workshop, they are there to practice with intensity. Usually my students either stay in my class week after week or they run to door. Usually I have about 25 students. I would say 25% are advanced, 50% in the middle and 25% beginner. In a power yoga class I expect 75% to be advanced and about 25% middle. Beginners should not be in a power yoga class. (necessarily)

I don't spend a lot of time in class on alignment, because I'm more interested in the flow of each posture leading into the next one. What I try to do is say different things each class and physically touch my students to correct them. So, the more you practice the more you get in terms of information. I teach more the ashtanga method of high energy and fast pacing. David Swenson said this in one of his workshop and I think it was really poignant. "I could tell you everything I know about this posture and adjusting and the history of it, but you still have to practice it." I'm paraphasing...

The work still has to come from you.

Posted 2007-03-06 12:20 PM (#79328 - in reply to #79324)

i'm not sure that i know maha namaskar or mandala namaskar. i do have two other 'namaskaras' that i do--shiva from dharma mittra and one that i developed that i call sri devi (Goddess) namaskara. i usually bring these into level 1/2 and above. it just works out this way.

i don't teach in a studio, and i wouldn't say that there are any specific expectations of my classes really--other than flat out ignorance about what yoga is on the part of new students. but we all run into that. i teach mainly in the Y, some gyms, and of course private clients. I tend to teach as Ana Forrest does--feeling out the needs of the group that's there, and teaching to that need.

i'm not suggesting that you lead workshops, i was simply outlining what i do when i teach. and teaching from this perspective doesn't necessarily decrease the intensity of the practice, or the flow--but changes the pacing of the process in some cases. in all of my classes, things are described in various detail, depending upon the need. sometimes, nothing is mentioned of the alignment of a pose, and other times, a great deal.

for example, i can hold a flow class with my regulars and beginners where we 'workshop' chaturanga dandhasana. this is a very challenging posture. such a class would look something like this:

warm up as before.

set back sun salutations with a held plank pose, a slow chaturanga (held), and then into regular sun salutations. this might be followed with a 'workshop' of chaturanga that goes like this:

everyone in plank (hold and describe plank for 3-5 breaths)
downward dog for rest
back to plank and then moving with breath into the forward motion that sets up chaturanga and back to plank.
then, back to down dog for rest.
next, we'll go back to plank and work to chaturanga. some will hold plank entirely, others will hold chaturanga the whole time (intensity!) and others will be working on the alignment.
from chaturanga, i'll have them go straight back to downward dog for rest. and then we'll repeat the chaturanga a few times.
for the most advanced students, on the last two chaturanga holds, i might encourage them to move forward to ardha koundinyasana.

then, whenever we do a vinyasa from whereever back to downward dog, i'll likely go--plank, chaturanga, plank, chaturanga, up dog, down dog.

by then end of the class, the advanced/regulars have a work out that's intense, the beginners have a workshop of chaturanga that has burnt them to high heaven but certainly gotten the idea across in multiple ways.

the same can be done by having a long hold of warrior one, and moving into it from different positions throughout the flow.

an intense class doesn't necessarily mean that it has to have advanced postures or that it cannot include an in-depth study of a pose or "workshop" type aspect. in fact, including these elements can make the class *more* intense for the advanced practitioner while simultaneously being more accessable to the more beginner practitioner.

but, since you're saying that the sequence above is about 75% advanced and 25% intermediate--then there's no problem with your sequence. it's simply not 'all levels.'
TampaEric
Posted 2007-03-06 1:52 PM (#79335 - in reply to #79310)

Thanks Zoebird,

I think we are definitely on the same page. I do Chaturanga, downdog and modified poses at the beginning of class. Chat om. Focus on one posture for more time too sometimes. We hold plank sometimes too. etc..

This particular sequence is my way of teaching the ashtanga intermediate stuff without overwhelming them.

Take care,

Eric

Posted 2007-03-06 3:35 PM (#79352 - in reply to #79310)

yeah. beryl does a lot of 'tossing in' as i call it. she'll take astanga primary and then 'toss in' a few secondary series. in one workshop that i took--which happened to be mostly advanced--she 'tossed in' some even more advanced stuff while doing secondary. it was fun.

your sequence actually reminded me of one of the jivamukti sequences. have you looked at their sequences? pretty dynamic.
mishoga
Posted 2007-03-07 8:05 AM (#79412 - in reply to #79310)

Expert Yogi

Hey Eric, that is a tough practice. I would have to do that with help but I am going to take some time today to incorporate many into my own flow.
I love challenging classes but my students are not ready for that sequence. I am ready to try it though.

What is Pyramid and Mandala Namaskar?
How long is this routine/sequence when you practice? Ujjayi or ????
TampaEric
Posted 2007-03-07 8:59 AM (#79425 - in reply to #79412)

Hi Mishoga,

Pyramid is a modified Parsvottanasana with your hands on the ground. You move from Prasaritta Padottanasana to Pyramid each leg.

Mandala Namaskar is something I learned at a Shiva Rea workshop and it is a strange sun salute that incorporates knee/hip rotations, stepping the foot forward and twisting towards the shin, flowing back the other way and bending the opposite knee, turning further and moving in low lunge, then moving to downdog and three limb chaturanga to updog to downdog. I believe the sequence is on one of her DVDs. (but I can't confirm) Maybe it is on utube?

The sequence is 1.5 hours with Ujjayi.
TampaEric
Posted 2007-03-07 9:02 AM (#79427 - in reply to #79352)

I've never studied with Beryl, but I did do a workshop with Ann Richardson (who I think trained with her).

Nope, never been to a jivamukti class or read a book. Was it created fairly recently to incorporate chanting and all the foundations within a class?

You have me curious. I like to teach Flow and Power as well as traditional Ashtanga Primary.

Eric
mishoga
Posted 2007-03-07 9:12 AM (#79429 - in reply to #79310)

Expert Yogi

I love Shiva Rea. Took her dance trance workshop. Absolutely loved it. She's a Zaady too!
I should check out the DVD.

Edited by mishoga 2007-03-07 9:14 AM
TampaEric
Posted 2007-03-07 4:14 PM (#79511 - in reply to #79310)

I messed up
correction:
Uttitha Trikonasana
Parvitta Trikonasana
Uttitha Parsvottanasana
Parvitta Parsvottanasna.

Sorry, typed one thing and meant another.

ERic
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)