YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

high blood pressure
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Yoga TherapyMessage format

groovelite
Posted 2007-02-27 8:05 AM (#78803)
Subject: high blood pressure

what are some good postures and tips for high blood pressure?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-02-27 9:42 AM (#78816 - in reply to #78803)
Subject: RE: high blood pressure

groovelite - 2007-02-27 8:05 AM

the only tip is make your life stye as best as possible.
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-02-27 9:27 PM (#78864 - in reply to #78816)
Subject: RE: high blood press/inversion

Expert Yogi

I always wonder about inversions and blood pressure. Is it okay, long term, to do headstand?  It raises the blood pressure in the brain, no doubt.  I've heard various for and against statements, but does anyone have any data?  Anybody noticed an increased incidence of stroke among people who do lots of inversions, e.g.?

.. bg

Posted 2007-02-27 10:18 PM (#78868 - in reply to #78803)

How high, is the person on meds, what is their age, gender, and background?
What is their yoga experience? What is the nature or style of their current practice?

groovelite - 2007-02-27 5:05 AM

jonnie
Posted 2007-03-03 5:05 AM (#79111 - in reply to #78864)

Bay Guy - 2007-02-28 5:27 AM

I always wonder about inversions and blood pressure. Is it okay, long term, to do headstand?  It raises the blood pressure in the brain, no doubt.  I've heard various for and against statements, but does anyone have any data?  Anybody noticed an increased incidence of stroke among people who do lots of inversions, e.g.?

.. bg

Hi BayGuy,

I don't have specific data, though on my Iyengar TT we were taught that when working with students with high BP, we should avoid sirsasana and teach other inversions such as halasana, setubandha and viparita karani. When these can be performed with ease, sarvangasana should be introduced.

Additionally, for standing poses, the student should use a wall if they find it difficult to work independently and should look down and not up in the classical asanas. The teacher should prop the student as appropriately.

Jonathon
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-03-05 9:38 PM (#79292 - in reply to #79111)

Expert Yogi

Thanks, Jonnie.

I still wonder about high blood pressure and inversions.. I hear sometimes that the fluid around the brain keeps the stress on blood vessels under control despite the high pressure (what might be called a hydrostatic pressure is maintained on both sides of the vessel, rather than a high pressure within and a low pressure without as with the dynamic high pressure found in typical high blood pressure).

.. bg

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-05 10:41 PM (#79299 - in reply to #79292)

Bay Guy - 2007-03-05 9:38 PM

Thanks, Jonnie.

I still wonder about high blood pressure and inversions.. I hear sometimes that the fluid around the brain keeps the stress on blood vessels under control despite the high pressure (what might be called a hydrostatic pressure is maintained on both sides of the vessel, rather than a high pressure within and a low pressure without as with the dynamic high pressure found in typical high blood pressure).

.. bg

Dear Brother BG: Why would one like to stay in Headstand for long time (is Long = Very long? How long?)?

OrangeMat
Posted 2007-03-06 6:43 AM (#79305 - in reply to #78803)

In Appendix II in Light On Yoga, there are many suggestions for practices to be done for lots of different ailments and conditions, similar to what you've been asking about (BKS calls the section "Curative Asanas for Various Diseases"). High blood pressure is one of them.
dmbones
Posted 2007-03-06 12:05 PM (#79327 - in reply to #78803)

Greetings friends,

Blood pressure moment to moment is a reflection of our sympathetic nervous system's readiness to prepare us for fighting or fleeing (an ancestral inheritance). The greater the perceived danger in the moment, the higher the blood pressure rises in anticipation of physical exertion to escape danger. The body listens to the breath to determine whether our energies will go toward preparing to fight or flee, or toward restoration and internal repair. Control of the breath during stressful situations is the reason we practice body postures, in order to ground a calming healing breath in the body's experience. Slowing and lengthening the breath comfortably informs the body moment to moment that repair is appropriate.

I'm pleased to have found this forum and grateful for the kind and considerate respect widely shared. Here's to our collective enlightening!

jonnie
Posted 2007-03-06 2:35 PM (#79347 - in reply to #78803)

Hi Michael,

A great opening post. Welcome to the forum.

Nick (who posts here) is also a chiropractor and Yoga teacher, so I'm sure you will have some excellent discussions.

Jonathon
dmbones
Posted 2007-03-07 12:09 AM (#79391 - in reply to #79347)

Thank you for the nice welcome, Jonathon.
Nick
Posted 2007-03-08 12:16 PM (#79588 - in reply to #79327)

hi all,
this is one study done on the effect of gravity on blood pressure:
http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/86/2/623
And this:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=3190419&dopt=Abstract

The scond one was interesting, demonstrating that heart rate decreases and blood pressure was raised, both of which put more strain on the heart. I believe the slowing of the heart is called a vagal response-the diaphragm muscle massages the heart, which is innervated by the vagus nerve (THE parasympathetic nerve, and the one to stimulate if you want the parasympathetic nervous system to be more active).
And hello and welcome, Michael, hope you find your visits here fun,
take care
Nick
dmbones
Posted 2007-03-09 12:09 AM (#79646 - in reply to #79588)

Hi Nick,

What a treat to have a good physiologist and yogi to learn from. I've enjoyed all of your post these first days and very appreciative the profession has such a good voice in you.

Michael
Nick
Posted 2007-03-09 2:08 AM (#79655 - in reply to #79646)

Hi Michael,
I'm no physio (how insulting ). I teach yoga, but have a degree in chiropractic from the Mctimoney-corley college of chiropractic in Oxford. You probably thought I was a physio because I've diversified into the same areas that physio's are interested in.
Nick
dmbones
Posted 2007-03-09 9:20 AM (#79679 - in reply to #79655)

Hi Nick,

Good morning! Of course, I've known lots of chiros who were not good physiologists; so on the contrary, it's a compliment. I knew you were a doc from other member posts. Are you doing any passive care? I'm still at it after 24 years in same little practice, but have cut back to only about 15 contact hours/week. The yoga therapy part of the practice has grown from in-office (one-on-one) to public classes and YT class on physician/attorney referal for injured patients. Being able to bill third party for therapy has been a blessing financially. It's where my heart is, rather than passive care; although I still get out of bed in the morning asking to be of some small help today in whatever life presents. I've been amazed at how much easier it's been to collect from insurers for YT rather than conventional care, which is a constant struggle. I've tried to work with Western States CC here in Portland about expanding curriculum to include yoga, but they are light years behind the curve, as are most local docs. I've come to a realization that yoga is much larger than chiropractic in terms of helping others (the old 'give a fish/teach to fish' thing), but am grateful that the license has allowed me an education and the right to practice as I wish. I know of no better general preparation for yoga training than that education.

I look forward to your company here for these reasons, but also to your obvious kindness and helpfulness.

Blessings,

Michael
Nick
Posted 2007-03-09 10:55 AM (#79690 - in reply to #79679)

Hi Michael,
He he, in England, there's a fair bit of rivalry between osteopaths, chiro, and physios-part of the reason I got out of the chiro business-I think the rivalry reflects badly on each of them.
Same as you, I think the pro-active approach is much more rewarding and successful. Teaching people to fend for themselves by taking the best physical action has to be empowering. I just taught a woman today who is about 70, has had recurring bouts of SI pain for fifty years with sciatica, which has meant at the end of every exercise class she has to use the banisters to get up the stairs. Not after this class! It's great to see instant results, usually takes longer. I now know that every class is going to be exciting for her as she resloves the various issues which have held her in that pain state. I'm a very happy man

Nick
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)