YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

domestic abused student
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Women's HealthMessage format

groovelite
Posted 2007-02-27 8:01 AM (#78801)
Subject: domestic abused student

How is the best way to deal with a student who has been domestically abused? Should I avoid touching her during adjustments?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-02-27 9:41 AM (#78815 - in reply to #78801)
Subject: RE: domestic abused student

groovelite - 2007-02-27 8:01 AM

How is the best way to deal with a student who has been domestically abused? Should I avoid touching her during adjustments?

1. Develop extreme trust by doing what the student likes such as coffee, jokes, singing, etc.

2. Do not touch the student unless the student asks for adjustments. Or, ask the student whether they want that adjustment.

3. Let the sufficient time pass until mutual rapo is developed.

4. Q: Is the student of opposite sex?

Posted 2007-02-28 1:26 AM (#78872 - in reply to #78801)
Subject: RE: domestic abused student

Hello Groove,

A very compassionate question. Thank you for asking. I personally am so touched to work in a field where my peers are sensitive to the needs of those they teach and work with.

One thing to keep in mind, for all of us as teachers, is that each situation is unique or what some call case by case. There will be some basics but the rest of the prognosis or curriculum will depend on the situation you are in and the relationship you have with the student.

Domestic abuse can take on many forms. So here too it depends on the nature of the abuse and the way the student has processed it. If the student has been to several of your classes and your style of teaching is obviously a hands-on type, then it might be expected that the student will be treated in the same fashion as the others in class. I don't like singling students out until I know I can.

In our classes students sign a form when they first arrive and it states that healthy touch is part of instruction. Those who do not want to be touched agree that they will express this in writing. Since that's not a common practice in studios, based on my experience, I would take the student aside briefly and ask about the situation and if he or she has noticed you have a hands-on approach and is that any issue?

If you opt to adjust this student without this chat (or perhaps even with) do it only when their eyes are open (so no Savasana or Balasana adjustment for now). Make sure the student can see your approach and is aware of your presence. You may even preface your adjustment with a few quiet words.

As always with an adjustment, "tell, trace, then adjust".
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)