YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Iyengar class levels
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

slowpie6
Posted 2007-02-25 2:56 PM (#78691)
Subject: Iyengar class levels

Hi folks, I've been investigating the possibility of taking some classes in the Iyengar method and as it turns out, there really aren't many options for Iyengar in Montreal. One studio, which I thought was an Iyengar studio, is actually an Ashtanga Studio that is strongly influenced by Iyengar - i.e. they teach the ashtanga series, but from an Iyengar perspective. Though this is an interesting prospect to me, I think I would like to try Iyengar in its pure form to really see the differences and also because I'm not really intending to not do Ashtanga, so I would be doing both the primary series and an Iyengar session on the same day (and don't try to convince me otherwise, - I can't go a day without my ashtanga!).

So my only option appear to be a studio where they teach in French, which already threw me off a little even though French is my mother-tongue, I live in English by choice and preference, and have only ever practiced yoga in English, and would probably be somewhat confused by French anatomical terminology. But whatever, I can certainly manage that... The thing is, with my hectic schedule, the only timeslots that I could attend are either a level 1 class, or a level 4 class. Is there a standardized way to define class levels in the Iyengar practice, and if so, how advanced is level 4? Would it be a horrible idea to try such a class? I've got no problem taking a level 1 class, of course, I am still very much a beginner in yoga in the general sense, and I've never done any Iyengar... But I figure that a level 1 class might not include the practice of more difficult postures that I am currently doing in the primary series, and on which I would have liked to get a different perspective...

Certainly, I will begin with a level one class, and at that time I will also inquire with the teacher to see what they have to say. But as I am always keen to get immediate answers to my questions (still working on that patience, ) I thought I would ask your opinion on this. Another big draw to going to the level 4 class is that it is taught by a much more advanced teacher, I think she holds the top level amongst Canadian teachers (Sr Intermediate III), so that appeals to me. I perfer to take advantage of the opportunity to study under the best possible teachers while I am living in the city, because I don't plan on being here forever and these opportunities may never present themselves again...

One thing though, these classes are incredibly expensive!! It is 25$ for a drop-in hour and half class, compared to 15$ (and 10$ for the very first class) at my ashtanga studio. Is it standard that Iyengar classes cost more? Perhaps because there is a much higher cost in setting up a studio due to all the props?

Anyways, the level 1 class is held on Sunday evenings, so perhaps I will go tonight, otherwise maybe next week. My ashtanga session this morning was surprisingly not tiring, so I would have the energy, it's just a question of deciding whether I can endure another day of proscrastination on all the other things I need to do. I hate when life interferes with yoga .

sp
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-02-25 3:52 PM (#78696 - in reply to #78691)
Subject: RE: Iyengar class levels

attending a class will answer many of your queries.
and a qualified teacher can make the level one class just as illuminating as a level four class.

indeed, if you have never had alignment based instruction before, attending a level four class would be downright overwhelming. i was denied from participating in a level five class when i was just starting Iyengar method, but returned for the level 1-3 class later and enjoyed it very much. i learned very much.

so just go, and have a good time.
tourist
Posted 2007-02-25 6:35 PM (#78703 - in reply to #78696)

Expert Yogi

At our studio we keep drop in rates high to encourage students to enroll. Simple as that. I would strongly suggest Level I - they are not exactly standardized, but Level I won't do higher levels poses but will give you an opportunity to get the lingo and the routine a bit easier. It is also pretty likely you wouldn't be allowed in a Level 4 class anyway.

If that studio doesn't suit you, you should try the other one. My son has been having a great time there. His favourite teacher is named Claudine, I think.
slowpie6
Posted 2007-02-25 8:09 PM (#78714 - in reply to #78691)

Well, so I just got back and I'm happy to report that... I really love ashtanga and my studio, . Lets see... First of all, the studio itself was not warm, neither in temperature, nor in "feeling", there were no candles or incense or little statues of Hindu figure, all things that I've come to find very compelling at my studio. I was sad that there was no chanting, no warm-up sequence like the surya namaskaras, and I also felt like there was something missing because there wasn't a sort of "ritualized" way to move into postures, as with ashtanga vinyasas, which made the practice feel somewhat disjointed to me. I think we did a grand total of maybe 8 poses, let's see: tadasana (with various upward arm stretches and with gomukhasana arms), uttitha trikonasana, uttitha parsvakonasana, parsvottanasana, prasarita padottanasana (A in ashtanga), some version of virasana with our legs bound at the knees and ankles, a few supine knee to chest moves, viparita karani, and savasana. That's nine total, in that order. It felt repetitive and sort of bland to me.

As for the quality of the alignment instructions, well, I must say that there was nothing that was said that differed in any way from the instruction I am receiving in my Ashtanga classes. I don't know, perhaps I've really proven to be lucky in finding an ashtanga studio that puts this much emphasis on alignment. I must also be doing something right as the teacher gathered the entire class around me to have me demonstrate proper alignment in uttitha parsvakonasana, which made me feel two things: 1) that I must have finally figured the pose out because I am constantly getting adjusted by my teacher in this pose, and 2) that I really didn't like being used as a model for the class like one of those anatomical dummies in a med class. I'm glad they don't do that at my studio.

Anyways, I asked the teacher whether perhaps I could attend a level 4 class. I figure that perhaps if the class provided a greater challenge, that it might win me over a bit and convince me to attend a class once in a while to explore alignment further. She told me to contact the studio director (that advanced teacher I spoke of) and that she would have to decide. It didn't sound like it would be permitted though. Which is a shame because I can't attend any of the other classes to give it a try at a higher level. But I'm not even sure I would want to, quite honestly.

Tourist, I might just have to go to United Yoga and try it out. But it feels like it isn't worth the trouble since I'm perfectly happy at my studio and this is also ashtanga. But not pure ashtanga, more like an ashtanga-iyengar hybrid, so it might prove to be interestingly different. I read about the studio, and found out that Hart Lazer doesn't actually teach there on a day to day basis, just comes by for a week here and there, and then his courses appear to be reserved for advanced practice. I'm sure the other teachers are very good, but I'd really have to find it very different from my current classes in order to consider going for a few classes. Thankfully, that studio gives you the first class for free, and afterwards it's 12.50 per class for students or 15 adults, and you can buy a pass for a few classes if you prefer and reduce the class rate, so that's much more reasonable.

Well, it's too bad that I didn't like Iyengar more, but at least I can say that I tried it once.

sp
Nick
Posted 2007-02-26 3:07 AM (#78728 - in reply to #78714)

Hi SP,
Well back when I started, it was US $2.50-hehe-actually don't know why I told you that, now I feel really old. Rats. Not all Iyengar teachers are like that-sometimes you can get through a ton of stuff, and end up sweating more than in an astanga class. But yes, it can feel like they are disappearing up their own rectum. Disguises lack of knowledge

Nick
Orbilia
Posted 2007-02-26 7:26 AM (#78740 - in reply to #78728)

I have to say that here we don't refer to level numbers at all, it's beginners, mixed ability, intermediate or advanced. Most classes last an hour and a half. My own teacher teaches mixed classes and £8 a class on drop-in or a bit cheaper on a course basis.

Typically, my classes these start with easy pose and turning the attention inward. We then move into extended child and D-F dog alternations, then standing poses. Typically, triangle, warrior (II?) and that agonising version of triangle with the leading knee bent (sorry, the name escapes me for the moment). Some weeks, these are taught in a different way, say with a view to keeping the brain still (restorative).

We then move into 3-4 asanas tailoried for that week's target focus area (e.g. shoulder openers). These usually get performed several times, moving from the 'gentler' versions through to the full version for those able.

We finish with savasana, often accompanied by some pranayama (e.g. viloma breath).

There's always loads of information on alignment and we often get used to demonstrate incorrect alignment. Mary often gets us to work in groups of 2-3 so the class, especially when we're doing that week's focus area. I love this bit as I learn a lot and being stretched on the 'rack' in Bridge pose is delicious!

I started with Sivananda and find Iyengar relatively lacking in breathing and meditation by comparison but understand that this tradition does include these, just at a more advanced level.

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2007-02-26 7:31 AM
tourist
Posted 2007-02-26 10:19 AM (#78750 - in reply to #78740)

Expert Yogi

Huh - you didn't chant the invocation to Patanjali? Well, some teachers don't start that right away, but most do. As for using students as models, again - not always done, especially at Level 1 for exactly the reason you mention. I would be hesitant to ask a student I didn't know to show a pose. Better to let them get comfortable first.

One thing about Iyengar classes that I always emphasize is that you could attend ten in a row and have every class be significantly different. One class rarely gives a good picture of what the practice is like, though what you describe does sound like a fairly typical beginners class that I would teach. I am not known to teach kick-your-butt classes, I think.... OTOH, you could attend a Level 4 class and do the same work, admittedly with a deeper and more intense focus - BTDT Or you could go during restorative week and be lying on your bolster the whole time - my personal favourite!
Orbilia
Posted 2007-02-26 10:48 AM (#78751 - in reply to #78750)

No, no chanting. Sometimes, in the past, Mary has tried that but she's a little scatty on the organisation front outside of class and never remembers to bring the words with her so very few know what to chant. Her substitutes sometimes Aum chant at the end and we've been dropping hints about wanting more chanting (I find it the fastest way into a suitable mental place for meditation).

Mary usually picks on the experienced students for demonstrations. Often 2 or 3 at once in order to get the rest of us to critique. Usually, one student will be correct but not always as Mary likes to shake things up so we really learn what we're looking for. This has benefits in partner work as you can assist your partner to a greater extent that just the adjustment being worked upon in a given pose.

As her classes are mixed ability, tuitions is often given in layers with Mary instructing Newbies to 'stop here' or 'repeat the last version' whilst she takes more experienced students onto the next layer of difficulty. Newbies also get admonished 'not to look' on occassion if she thinks they're getting alarmed over the contortions she's taking advanced students into *ggg*.

Restorative work involves lying on a bolster all class?! Are you sure we're talking the same definition of 'restorative'? Mary's idea of restorative is allowing us to rest our heads on a pile of blocks during wide-legged forward bending or not to turn our heads in triangle but heaven help you if there's a dropped knee or a relaxed inner groin in the place!!!!

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2007-02-26 10:49 AM
jonnie
Posted 2007-02-26 1:36 PM (#78761 - in reply to #78691)

We follow the Pune system in Dubai with week 1 of the month focusing on standing poses, week 2 focusing on forward bends and twists, week 3 on backbends (my fav week) and week 4 on pranayama.
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-02-26 8:58 PM (#78776 - in reply to #78761)

Expert Yogi

A week of backbends sounds great, but I think that a week of pranayama would make me suicidal.   I like pranayama for about 20 minutes at a stretch -- Viloma IX or Nadi Shodhana IV, with some Bhramari to close it off.  More than that, or slower than that, just makes me tense and unhappy.  Restorative practices are even more depressing.

.. bg

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-02-26 10:29 PM (#78782 - in reply to #78691)

The only comment I would like to make in this thread is:

When any student considers levels in a style, they must not mix the concepts of two styles. What I mean is supposed we are talking about Iyengar Style of Yoga Exercises and Levels within them: Then stick to the definition of that style and definition of levels within it.

Then only one can get to some meaningful conclusion. Mixing styles and levels, etc. is not much meaningful. Because, some styles do not provide all instruction. And, some style do not focus on perfecting certain things. ETC.
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-03-05 9:44 PM (#79294 - in reply to #78691)

Expert Yogi

It's interesting, in view of your comment, that some poses are considered "advanced level" in one style and intermediate or beginner in other styles. Of course, a given pose can be taught or used for different levels, depending upon what the teacher choses to emphasize.  I think that the most difficult pose is Tadasana because it is so easy to stop paying attention. And I guess that Iyengar finds Savasana to be another deceptively difficult pose -- 25 pages in LIght on Pranayama go to this one. 

.. bg

tourist
Posted 2007-03-06 9:34 PM (#79375 - in reply to #79294)

Expert Yogi

BG - a week of pranayama sounds like bliss to me but that is not exactly how it goes. A 90 minute class typically consists of close to an hour of preparatory asana (restorative, chest opening - though this can mean starting with handstand and/or a ten minute headstand in higher level classes) and the last half hour or so actual pranayama. When we teach real beginners there is only a little time for ujjayi inhalation. Most of the time is learning to observe the breath etc.
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-03-06 9:43 PM (#79376 - in reply to #79375)

Expert Yogi

Glenda --

I do know. A week of backbends would be more soothing for me.  It probably shows that I have too much inner chaos for all that introspection -- I just want to rip the anahata chakra wide open and drown in spinal energy.

))> bg <((    ....  `,:-o 

tourist
Posted 2007-03-07 9:51 AM (#79434 - in reply to #79376)

Expert Yogi

Ah - ok. I rather thought you would know that. At least it is clarified for lurkers I understand the urge to backbend. I just wish my body was more capable of doing other than supported ones, but my backbending chair and bench get good workouts
cerise
Posted 2007-03-07 11:52 AM (#79464 - in reply to #78691)

Slowpie,
I may encourage you to try a yoga class from the Iyengar perspective , some other time in the future, maybe with another teacher. Although it can be overwhelming at first when we come from another tradition, it really "pays off". The alignment and rigour you get from continued practice is helpful for any class type afterwards; a bit like classical ballet helps to learn all other styles of dancing ...

Where I attend, beginners have 4 levels (90 mns class to 105 mns) and intermediate and advanced are 2 hours class. The teacher is awsome and so is his knowledge and humility, I hope you will meet such Iyengar yoga teacher and you will then see the benefits.
slowpie6
Posted 2007-03-07 7:06 PM (#79533 - in reply to #78691)

Thanks for your advice cerise, I suspect you are probably right. Maybe one day my time will come when Iyengar will feel more appropriate to me too. Like when I become so good at ashtanga that I can levitate and balance on the tip of my nose or something, . I have full respect for the value of the Iyengar style, but currently do not have the patience or inclination to wait to discover that, especially since I'm so happy with my current practice. I'm nonetheless pleased to have tried this class, if only as a confirmation of my feelings that even though I am being taught in the ashtanga tradition, there is a whole lot of attention being placed on alignment. So it eased my concerns about my chosen form of yoga, even though they weren't concerns I had developped from my experiences but from what others said in criticism of this form. Anyways, all that to say that I am not closed to the idea, only I think I might have to wait til other opportunities come up as there isn't much more available in my city. Except for the place where tourist's son practices, but that's not TRUE Iyengar, it's a hybrid with ashtanga.

Maybe one day I'll move to the other side of this gigantic continent and then I'll have the pleasure to study with tourist, who I have no doubt would be able to translate her passion for the style into an enjoyable practice. I must say that the way you Iyengar lovers talk about your style makes it sound appealing. One day I might understand.

In the meantime, I'm happy bouncing around and sweating bullets!

sp
yoga momma
Posted 2007-03-30 1:55 AM (#81728 - in reply to #78691)

My husband once described Iyengar yoga as "surgical" and I can definately see this from his perspective. However, I have seen that even within the Iyengar system, teachers vary quite a bit. For instance: Kofi is tends to stick to spiritual discussion and not physical (at least in his intermediate classes, I've never taken his level 1 classes). My teacher studies with Ramanand Patel and Manuso Manos. She is VERY physical. No two classes are ever the same, so I couldn't say that we "usually" start with any particular pose, it depends on the focus of that particular class, be it an action or a pose. I like that the classes usually have a focus, for example, building up to a particular pose, or growing an action throughout your practice. Iyengar yoga can seem a bit dry to those who are looking for more "spiritual" direction. It all depends on what appeals to you. and definatly expect that you might change styles throughout your life. For instance, my teacher started out a student of Rodney Yee, but then injured her shoulders and is now an Iyengar student.

Personally, I've known IY to start with chanting of OM, physical and precise direction, and ending with chanting of OM and maybe occasionally meditation.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)