YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anusara & Iyengar
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Anusara YogaMessage format

Bay Guy
Posted 2007-02-24 1:06 PM (#78616)
Subject: Anusara & Iyengar

Expert Yogi

How does Anusara yoga relate or compare to Iyengar yoga?  I've been reading the Anusara web site (www.anusara.com), and the general description almost seems like Iyengar yoga with a more westernized spin on the philosophy and on the relationship of teachers to students.

Anybody have enough exposure to both systems to compare them?  I've never done an Anusara class.

... bg

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-02-24 2:12 PM (#78623 - in reply to #78616)
Subject: RE: Anusara & Iyengar

I haven't done alot of either style, but I've found Anusara classes and teachers much more, I don't know the right word - flowery? Also on average more fun, if the degree of flowery works for you.

They're both very focused on alignment but Anusara goes about it somewhat differently, describes it very differently. The whole loops and spirals thing. I did a Todd Norian workshop a while back and I was really beat after it!
todd
Posted 2007-02-24 5:50 PM (#78636 - in reply to #78616)

"Anusara draws on Friend's years as an Iyengar teacher - he studied with Lasater, Ramanand Patel, Mary Dunn, and B.K.S. Iyengar"

http://www.yogajournal.com/views/1331.cfm
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-02-24 8:33 PM (#78650 - in reply to #78636)

Expert Yogi

todd - 2007-02-24 5:50 PM "Anusara draws on Friend's years as an Iyengar teacher - he studied with Lasater, Ramanand Patel, Mary Dunn, and B.K.S. Iyengar" http://www.yogajournal.com/views/1331.cfm[/QUOTE]

And this is part of what motivates my question.  He had the Iyengar background, but decided to make a different system. It looks as if he kept the alignments and the general spirituality, but changed other parts.  The Anusara code of ethics for teachers contains some comments about not hitting students which seem almost like a reaction against BKS.

.. bg

Posted 2007-02-24 10:23 PM (#78651 - in reply to #78616)

i kinda like getting hit...
you know "percussion" alignments, hmm?
i'd like to get down with some anusara classes sometime, but they aren't to be found in my city...
i did do yoga with John Friend in a dream one time...
slowpie6
Posted 2007-02-25 3:21 PM (#78694 - in reply to #78616)

Oddly, there seems to be a whole lot more anusara teachers in my city than there are Iyengar teachers. In fact, there is only one Iyengar studio here, and good dozen Anusara. Considering how the style is such a recent development, I found that strange. But I guess that is a side-effect of being a Western (North American, right?) innovation in yoga, rather than being sourced in India, which I presume makes it easier to train as a teacher in Anusara than in Iyengar. I don't really have a clue what I'm talking about though, .

I suppose I'll try out a class or two in this style one day. After all, why not?

sp
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-02-26 5:47 AM (#78733 - in reply to #78616)

I've taken a couple Anusara classes but no formal Iyengar classes, though there is one teacher at my studio who was trained in Iyengar style. I guess you could say that "flowery" style of teaching is the norm at my studio (not an Anusara studio), so for me that's all I know. Personally, I like it, because the metaphors make so much sense to me (guess I'm intuitively tantric; i.e. my body's "mind" is a very strong force in my life), so I guess a strict Iyengar approach would feel a bit lacking to me, maybe???? One of these days I'll take a class or two at the local Iyengar school, just to get a firmer feeling of the differences myself.
susbarb1
Posted 2007-02-26 10:11 PM (#78780 - in reply to #78616)

Anusara training is not easy. The one Anusara teacher at our studio is a John Friend freak and explained that it takes years and big bucks. They talk alot about the "heart center" in Anusara. Everything is about the heart center. They also use lots of props, which I like.

OrangeMat
Posted 2007-02-26 10:19 PM (#78781 - in reply to #78780)

susbarb1 - 2007-02-26 10:11 PM

Anusara training is not easy. The one Anusara teacher at our studio is a John Friend freak and explained that it takes years and big bucks. They talk alot about the "heart center" in Anusara. Everything is about the heart center. They also use lots of props, which I like.

Well, everything IS about the heart center, isn't it? It's the middle (4th) chakra out of the 7, so it does make sense to treat it as the focal point or core of your being (ugh, talk about flowery!). I think in my next teacher training (which may or may not be in this lifetime) I'll do the Anusara training, or at least go for what's called being an Anusara-inspired teacher. We'll see.
Gruvemom
Posted 2007-02-27 7:15 AM (#78793 - in reply to #78781)

Hey guys! Don't forget that, in Anusara, the poses are "performed" from the heart, coupled with the Tantric philosophy that life is a divine gift. I find it much easier to be accepting of where I am in my practice/life when I come from that angle, than the (to me) more dry and physical Iyengar. 
That being said, I studied Iyengar for the 1st couple years of my practice and have avoided major injury because of it.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-02-27 8:58 AM (#78810 - in reply to #78793)

Expert Yogi

This is an interesting duo.....and recently, my own teacher, who is also Bikram certified from the good ole' days....has been teaching this style, Anusara, and I didn't even know it until she mentioned it to me one day in a conversation.  So, I guess I can officially say that I am practicing Anusara style, Iyengar influenced Hatha yoga too,

I like it alot.  I love my 'other' yoga classes, other than Bikram.  In fact, it has enhanced my physical yoga asana practice in a big time way.  Now if I can only do the Frog asana, like NB showed me, I can learn Ashtanga yoga....then who knows...maybe, just maybe, I'll really be one of those True Yogi Experts,

Bay Guy
Posted 2007-02-27 9:33 PM (#78866 - in reply to #78793)

Expert Yogi

Gruvemom - 2007-02-27 7:15 AM Hey guys! Don't forget that, in Anusara, the poses are "performed" from the heart, coupled with the Tantric philosophy that life is a divine gift. I find it much easier to be accepting of where I am in my practice/life when I come from that angle, than the (to me) more dry and physical Iyengar. 
That being said, I studied Iyengar for the 1st couple years of my practice and have avoided major injury because of it.

There's a concept in Iyengar yoga of simply "being in" the asana. It's the point at which you simply are there, no longer fiddling around with alignment or straining for greater depth.  You just stop doing those things after so many seconds or minutes and continue to exist in the asana.  It seems a bit like "performing from the heart", in the sense of acceptance, but within in Iyengar yoga there's a definite implication of detachment from what you are doing.  Perhaps that is the essential difference?

The "detachment" ties back to Yoga Sutra-oriented aims, I think.

... bg

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-07 10:04 PM (#79544 - in reply to #78616)

Dear Dhanurasana: If you like to get beaten, I can give you a private class for no charge, all the beating you want FREE.

Dear BG: It is actually not detachment from Asana, it is that after reaching the predetermined perfection of a pose, there is no more effort involved. But, the perfection of pose is never defined as an absolute thing. It is defined by a person or a teacher. There is no perfection in the material world, which definitely performing a pose is due to usage of body, which is made up of pancha mahaabhuuta, a material universe. And, that has nothing to do with Yoga Sutras.

Dear CyndiBen: When are you coming again for your Frog Tour? Now, we have a pond for you, too! And, I have another Honey Friend (I mean a friend who makes honey), who is one of the two TTs. She want to see you and compare her honey with yours!!!

I guess if the flowery style give students encouragement, I would like that. There is no direct advantage of beating someone. But, Iyengar's tapping is not beating. It is called yoga touch. And, he does not advise others to do it. He does that involuntarily. That can not be considered a part of style. Actually, it is very difficult to beat like he does. If you do, you will get beaten by the students!!!

But, what I want to know is the meaning of the word 'anusara' from the anusara experts.

And, everything does not come from heart. There are other plexuses, such as Mulaadhaara. That does not come from Heart!

Posted 2007-03-08 1:52 AM (#79552 - in reply to #79544)

This weekend, Felicity was talking about Mr. Iyengar, and mentioned that once he hit a student, and the student proceeded to hit him right back.
This pleased him very much
i wonder how i'll react if/when i am hit by a teacher
you know, REALLY hit

Neel:
i'm on my way!
shalamOM
Posted 2007-03-10 9:11 PM (#79826 - in reply to #78616)

Oh man....where I do begin? Anusara instructors that I've known have been extremely poetic and have an undying/unquestioning devotion to 'their teacher' John Friend (did he come up with his last name on purpose? ). They try to explain all the many spirals, but I always get the impression that they don't really understand it themselves...because I don't know how much validity the whole thing has (sorry, don't get offended anyone). The anusara teachers do remind everyone to 'lift the heart' which just means to open the chest....talking about the heart is very confusing I think...especially with new students. The separating of the sitting bones to tuck the tail makes the asanas particularly stable, but I'm not so sure it does what John Friend claims it does. For the moment I think that John Friend is probably a very charismatic, funny and talented guy....I'm not so sure he should be giving anatomy lessons though.
tourist
Posted 2007-03-11 12:55 PM (#79867 - in reply to #79826)

Expert Yogi

shalomom - from what I have heard and seen the spirals are identical to Iyengar alignment. Some people find the shorthand explanation of a spiral easier to understand and some find it harder. People do indeed love the guy and I hear a lot about the heart centre, warmth and humour in the classes. Anything that makes people happeir and kinder is a good thing
yoga momma
Posted 2007-03-27 8:56 PM (#81485 - in reply to #78616)

Has anyone here ever actually been "hit" by a teacher? It's not like it sounds, and very few teachers do it and even then it's used for a specific purpose. My teacher explained to me it's to bring awareness, usually to a very small spot (think 2x3 inches on the upper back), on a cellular level. She has said that the body learns through repetition, and shock. The "slap" is shock. Once you've had it, you'll never forget the action!

Anyhow, I've trained in the Iyengar tradition but have recently been studying with some Anusara teachers. I can see the appeal in *some* of the teachers. If it gets too "flowery" then I'm lost. The alignment seems similar to Iyengar, but the cues are different, and the way of entering the poses different.

OrangeMat
Posted 2007-03-27 9:16 PM (#81486 - in reply to #81485)

I had a teacher lightly whack her fingers against my quad, with the intent of waking up the muscle and getting it to engage. It was slightly demoralizing, as in "why can't you (the muscle) do what you're supposed to do?" Thing is, I was trying my hardest to engage, and my quads just don't respond well, so it was even more unnerving. It's not like I didn't know that I had to use my quads then!

I tend to think in metaphors myself, so the flowery language of Anusara works for me. I have yet to take a "pure" Iyengar class, so I really don't have an informed opinion on that style with which to compare. Either way, I tend to gravitate to both these styles, more so than Ashtanga, power or Bikram.

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-27 10:30 PM (#81488 - in reply to #78616)

IMHO: It does not matter whether you hit a person, or tap a person, or talk an effective language or do some other thing, as long as the awareness comes the effect is same. Now, out of these, I shall prefer the method which is most effective but respecting.
yoga momma
Posted 2007-03-30 1:43 AM (#81727 - in reply to #78616)

The really great thing about yoga, and all the different styles and techniques, is that different things will appeal to different people. I don't find the "slap" offensive, but others might. I like alignment-oriented yoga. Others don't. But asana is flexible. Woo that's a good pun, LOL
Kym
Posted 2007-06-10 6:56 PM (#89121 - in reply to #78616)

Color me surprised! I've never heard of the slap before. I have to say, I would not like to be hit or touched in any way other than a very gentle touch. Sounds violent, so I must not understand. That would be against ahimsa.
TampaEric
Posted 2007-06-22 2:35 PM (#89956 - in reply to #89121)

Againist Ahimsa might be taking it a little far...

I think some teachers (myself) including can get wrapped up in being in charge of the class. I will stop the entire class sometimes when one person won't listen and wait for them to get it. I am strict sometimes. But honestly it is all an "act" to encourage them and make a point. Once you have studied with me a few times, I think they realize that there is a point I'm making to the strictness. You have to encourage trust. So, I'll say engage your legs or lean forward "Bob" etc.. Or I'll come over and let him lean on me.

If I had a stick I would feel like Debbie Allen in Fame, "you got big dreams, you want fame, we'll fame costs and right here is where you start paying, in sweat."

Orangemat. Iyengar and ashtanga are pretty similar, in my opinion. Much more so, than people realize, sometimes. In ashtanga you work with the same system and the alignment comes from repeition, (six times a week). Iyengar you might get more postures, longer holds, but the foundations of both seem pretty similar. When you consider the lineage it makes sense too. I've been studying with a very good teacher who learned from his teacher who learned from Krishnamacharya in his late period. Sure, it's a little different, but honestly, you can tell that it is part of the same stuff.

Eric
babybackbend
Posted 2007-06-27 1:27 AM (#90206 - in reply to #78616)

Hi everyone

I have never done Iyengar yoga classes before but I have fallen in love with Anusara yoga. Though I have never met or attended any John Friend's classes before. I have a teacher here in Singapore who is Anusara trained and I have enjoyed and benefitted from his class tremendously.

I do agree that in the beginning, I was lost with the flowery language too! Too much information and very "imaginery" language like "opening your heart", "spiral of the muscles inwards", "organic energy", "hugging the muscles"... etc

But eventually I began to understand the meaning and have made tremendous improvement to my practice. The principles work and help us go into poses safely!

But most importantly, I find that it is the energy of an anusara class that I love the most. It is a roomful of happy people and having fun! ( of course, the infamous handstands in every class are scary at first but I have grown to love them! From a total freak out at handstand yogigni to a "why we aren;t doing handstand today" yogini )

I have attended a few other anusara teachers' workshops like Desiree Rumbaugh and I totally adore all of them.

Hope my experience helps!
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-27 7:23 AM (#90213 - in reply to #78616)

Wonderful!
Eteraz
Posted 2009-02-03 12:24 PM (#113345 - in reply to #78616)
Subject: Re: Anusara & Iyengar

I think they are the same for me (I'm not an expert but have taken both) except that Anusara is a bit more user-friendly? Easier descriptions. I continue to go to both. Fortunately I have not experienced a poetic or too much of a flowery talking style with my Anusara teacher.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)