YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My Pancreas...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

joscmt
Posted 2007-02-22 5:12 PM (#78446)
Subject: My Pancreas...

I just found out last night that my pancreas isn't producing enough insulin to move the glucose out of my blood and into my cells. My nutritionist wants to support it with a supplement for awhile. I was trying to read up on this a little more and the phrase "diabetes mellitus" kept popping up. My nutritionist didn't say anything about diabetes... basically, my insulin levels at fasting are the same as they are post-prandial.
I took a saliva test where I fasted for the first test.. then I ate a meal of 2 slices toast, 1/2c juice, and 2T all-natural jam... so basically a lot of natural sugars- and my insulin levels didn't change.
Which would make sense that after 15 mo. of not eating sugar why my blood glucose levels (at fasting) were still 95. (down from 100 the year before).
Apparently my pancreas is pooped.
Have any of you heard of this? Or have any insight into this? Is this different than diabetes mellitus? Are there yoga poses that can stimulate my pancreas??
These tests came from my alternative doc. The saliva tests were processed at an independent lab. Should I go see an endocrinologist? My nutritionist seems to think we can bring back my pancreas with a supplement. Anyone????
Top of the page Bottom of the page
redrox
Posted 2007-02-22 8:03 PM (#78457 - in reply to #78446)
Subject: RE: My Pancreas...

joscmt - 2007-02-22 3:12 PM

I just found out last night that my pancreas isn't producing enough insulin to move the glucose out of my blood and into my cells. My nutritionist wants to support it with a supplement for awhile. I was trying to read up on this a little more and the phrase "diabetes mellitus" kept popping up. My nutritionist didn't say anything about diabetes... basically, my insulin levels at fasting are the same as they are post-prandial.
I took a saliva test where I fasted for the first test.. then I ate a meal of 2 slices toast, 1/2c juice, and 2T all-natural jam... so basically a lot of natural sugars- and my insulin levels didn't change.
Which would make sense that after 15 mo. of not eating sugar why my blood glucose levels (at fasting) were still 95. (down from 100 the year before).
Apparently my pancreas is pooped.
Have any of you heard of this? Or have any insight into this? Is this different than diabetes mellitus? Are there yoga poses that can stimulate my pancreas??
These tests came from my alternative doc. The saliva tests were processed at an independent lab. Should I go see an endocrinologist? My nutritionist seems to think we can bring back my pancreas with a supplement. Anyone????

Marylisa, I am afraid I may not be much help. I thought the pancreas ceasing to produce insulin and/or adequate supplies of insulin was one of the main conditions of type 2 diabetes. But maybe that only appliles if your fasting blood glucose is outside the reference range and yours is not so you aren't technically diabetic. Likely your changes in diet and exercise have been controlling it adequately so far, but it would seem on face value, that if you have worn out your pancreas in this regard, you are far more susceptible to swings in blood glucose if you do not continue to monitor your foods and drinks. Do you know what kind of supplements he is talking about?

In the bikram series the standing separate leg head to knee pose is said to help massage the pancreas as well as other internal organs. http://www.bikramyogaportsmouth.com/posturegallery/standingseparatelegh2k.htm I would think some googling around with some keywords and yoga might turn some other ones up. There have also been some studies that indicate cinnamon may help the body to process carbohydrates and improve insulin resistance. I use a lot of cinnamon! ;)

I definately feel for you. This is one of my biggest fears. That even with all the positive changes I have made, that it may be too late and I may just have worn out my pancreas or that I have used/abused it for so long that it will just give out before the rest of me does. Best wishes and healing thoughts. Keep us informed!
Nick
Posted 2007-02-23 3:41 AM (#78493 - in reply to #78446)

Hi MaryLisa,
I am a juvenile-onset diabetic (friends used to call me 'teabag,' because of all the little perforations!! I'm telling you, when you come out of hospital at twenty years old, it's friends like this that can make all the difference!!Hehe.
What you have sounds like type 2 diabetes-I have type 1 (as usual, I am numero uno, but I wish I was numero duo )
Well, the first thing, if that's your normal breakfast, that's why diabetes is on the increase in the west-you have that every day and at some point your pancreas gives up. That's probably about the same sugar as a can of coke, and will go into your bloodstream almost as quickly.
I'm no expert on type 2, you should probably get another test, sometimes people have a bit of jam on their finger or whatever and the sugar goes up.
May I just say-take hold of this disease and throttle the life out of it before it gets a grip on you. because type 2 diabetes is a consequence of bad diet and little exercise in the western world, sufferers are often locked into getting worse as time goes by-but it sounds like you are doing that.
Looking at yor post, I've realized that's not your normal breakfast-by the way, if the level didn't change, that's your sugar level, which would mean that your insulin level is changing-otherwise the sugar would go up! See what I mean?
Nick
joscmt
Posted 2007-02-23 8:52 AM (#78511 - in reply to #78446)

I think I need to have both check simultaneously (glucose and insulin). I did fasting bloodwork last June- a year after I changed my diet altogether. This saliva test I did in January of this year.

Nick- you said you saw that isn't my normal breakfast- in fact, I no longer eat sugar and haven't in almost 2 years- sugar has to be 5th or below on te ingredients list for me to eat it. I think they just wanted me to have a sugar filled meal after the fasting in order to show an obvious increase. I waited 1 1/2 hours after the meal to take next test.
Problem is that I have spent most of my life eating poorly. I imagine that reversing a lifetime of crap is not possible in just 2 years. In addition to sugar, I have cut out alcohol and caffeine- among other things.
Anyhoo... I'm thinking I need to explore this more.
joscmt
Posted 2007-02-23 8:59 AM (#78513 - in reply to #78446)

This is the reply I got from my chiropractor this morning-

Fasting blood sugar needs to be above 110-120 before
diabetes can be brought into the equation. What sue
is talking about is your pancreas is having to work
extra to keep your glucose down. This is very common
as our cells get insensitive to insulin as we age.
Nothing to worry about at this point but we do want to
allow the pancreas some rest for the future.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)