YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Have you ever had to throw
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

YoGanesha
Posted 2007-02-20 2:33 PM (#78240)
Subject: Have you ever had to throw

someone out of your class?

also how do you feel about people who walk into class late.

I'm bored and these questions popped into my mind.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jonnie
Posted 2007-02-20 2:43 PM (#78242 - in reply to #78240)
Subject: RE: Have you ever had to throw

I have never thrown anyone out though people who arrive late are not allowed in.

Jonathon

Posted 2007-02-20 3:43 PM (#78251 - in reply to #78240)

I've not had to throw anybody out BUT, I'VE been thrown out before (surprise!). Back in the day, I was very politely asked to leave if I would not participate in savasana or attempt to leave prior to the end of savasana. No problem--I didn't go back to that studio. I only leave if I need to for business or personal reasons or if the instructor is so inconderate as too run way long.
YoGanesha
Posted 2007-02-20 4:59 PM (#78258 - in reply to #78251)

You dodn't want to do savasana? howcome?

no judgement here whatsover, just curious. I looked it up on the net since i'm still learning the meanings in sanskrit, and saw what it was.
joscmt
Posted 2007-02-20 6:27 PM (#78265 - in reply to #78240)

I've had to throw people out of the restaurant before....but I've never been in a class where someone got asked to leave..
YoGanesha
Posted 2007-02-20 6:32 PM (#78267 - in reply to #78265)

I've worked in the food business. I went to NYC restaurant school and worked for 6 years, then I got married. it's a tough business. I give you a lot of credit. It's so stressful, it actually was the main reason me and an ex broke up. He was a restaurant owner. I didn't work at his restaurant though. I can't imagine throwing someone out of a restaurant and not fearing they'll retaliate.  Some people can be crazy like that.
tourist
Posted 2007-02-20 7:35 PM (#78277 - in reply to #78267)

Expert Yogi

Never thrown someone out of class, hate it when people come in late. We have a sign on the door saying to just sit down and be quiet if we are chanting or starting to chant, but people still walk in, take off coats, get mats... I don't know why I am not more assertive about that. It doesn't happen all that often, so maybe that is why. We do chat a bit and do announcements so that tends to allow those who are running a smidge late to get in before we get going.
YoGanesha
Posted 2007-02-20 8:15 PM (#78282 - in reply to #78277)

that would irritate me too if I were a teacher. I hate to sound like a dork but I make SURE, i'm in class early. If i was ever late, it would probably be something totally out of my control. Like traffic, but I allow myself enough time, even if I have to sit in the parking lot and wait.

There's this girl in my class that comes in a bit late but she's so discreet that it doesn't bother me at all. She seems like the quiet and considerate type.

Posted 2007-02-20 9:22 PM (#78288 - in reply to #78240)

I've not "thrown" anyone out. Not sure I would. Perhaps ask them to find another teacher after.
As for "late" students may enter, when they are late, after the opening meditation. If a student were chronically late I'd speak to them about it. But traffic is a real-world context and some are coming from work and so forth.

Posted 2007-02-21 1:34 AM (#78299 - in reply to #78240)

Stuff Happens. As a student, if people come late but make the effort to come in as quietly as possible I don't mind. I consider it an exercise in focusing on what I'm doing. At the end of the class (5 minutes later for that matter) it's not something I'm even going to remember. And it makes me feel less guilty next time I'm late. ;)

I've only really seen one person who should have been kicked out of a class. There was this women who brought her daughter, the kid was completly out of control and very disruptive. Mom did nothing and neither did the teacher - obviously nothing even said after class since it kept happening week after week. One of the many reasons I no longer attend that class.
tourist
Posted 2007-02-21 10:15 AM (#78324 - in reply to #78299)

Expert Yogi

When I went ot classes at one studio there was a small window in the door so you could peep through and see if they were into the invocation or not. That was nice. I know teachers who lock the door until they are finished chanting.
mishoga
Posted 2007-02-21 11:24 AM (#78326 - in reply to #78240)

Expert Yogi

Two times this has happened to me.
One was in a children's class in Montessori. The child was disruptive to the other children who were very focused so I walked him to the main office and asked them to call his mother to be picked up. I explained that he wasn't enjoying the class and this might not be appropriate for him at this time.

Second was a woman who was having extreme difficulty in class, this was a flow class and specifically stated as such. I guess she was expecting restorative. She wouldn't even try the mods and was disturbing the flow because we kept having to stop. I pulled her aside while all the other students were in either Downdog or Child's and told her this wasn't a appropriate class for her. I'm sorry that you are having a difficult time. A gentle/restorative class would be pleasing. I told her I would speak to the owners of the studio so she could get a full refund. She wasn't happy but this was not the right class for her and she was taking away from the other students.

it's not nice to do but needs to be done sometimes.

As far as late, I have no problem as long as they are quiet and respectful of atmosphere and students engaged in meditation.

When I was out at this Spa in the Hamptons, I was taking this yoga class with my girlfriends. My other girlfriend strolled in late (about 10 minutes) and proceeded to get a mat and start taking off her shoes and socks. When she finally sat down she briefly appologized to the teacher for being late and it was at that point the teacher said "I'm sorry but you can not join this class. you'll have to leave now". Personally I thought that was cold and unprofessional. Why not tell her as soon as she walked in?

Edited by mishoga 2007-02-21 11:53 AM
Rodenyogi
Posted 2007-02-21 2:23 PM (#78339 - in reply to #78240)

I've never had to throw out my students, but I've had people start hauling in exercise equipment in the middle of class (I teach in gyms in addition to studios). I casually brought everyone down to child's pose and asked them to leave and come back later, or leave all the stuff outside the door and I'd do it for them after class. As for late people, I let everyone know that they are expected to be on time, but that life happens and we need to be able to handle it when it does.
SCThornley
Posted 2007-02-21 2:53 PM (#78341 - in reply to #78240)

back in college at the keg party and other stuff house, I had to bounce a few skulls.

Oh?! you're talking Yoga!?

I do most of my practice at home, in private.

Posted 2007-02-21 3:47 PM (#78344 - in reply to #78240)

i've suggested more suitable teachers to clients before. i keep a bunch of business cards in my bag for this purpose. but that's usually not because they, or i, did something wrong, but because it was obvious that what i teach is not what they wanted. so, i offered alternative teachers to them. usually, they come back at some point, or go to both teachers.

i've never had to throw someone out of class, but i did have to stand up for myself. another woman was in the room, new to my classes, and apparently a teacher. each time i taught a pose, she would say "well, no, in MY teacher training, iw as taught X!" and she would say this very loudly. seriously, for each posture she had a comment about the pose, the sequencing, the way i taught it, or whatever.

finally, i said, "look, it's my classroom. you have the opportunity to teach when you lead a class, but while you're in here, you're under my instruction and MY teacher training and what I was taught. so, you can shut up, or find your way to the door without comment." she shut up.

she also came and apologized after class for "being rude" while in class. she came back to class for the 6 months that she lived in the area, where she took a different teacher training than her previous one.

as for lateness, it's not really too much trouble for me. when i have a beginner who is late, i usually slow the flow down a lot and do warm ups in between vinyasa series. that is, if the person comes in after the integration part, they come in and go into whatever pose (say, warrior I), i'll do whatever the sequence is, and then either in between poses (if possible) or when we get back to downward dog, i'll add in a few more 'warm up' type postures to get them prepped for the next side or sequence.

most my my clients are not late. when they are, they wait until the Om is done. those who are experienced will also do a few movements before jumping into sun salutations or whatever else we're doing--because they 'know the drill.'

so, it's really not that big of a deal to me unless the person is disruptive in the process.
YoGanesha
Posted 2007-02-21 3:59 PM (#78349 - in reply to #78240)

Zoe, I just can't believe someone would be so disrepectful. It boggles my mind. 
GreenJello
Posted 2007-02-21 4:12 PM (#78352 - in reply to #78349)

YoGanesha - 2007-02-21 3:59 PM

Zoe, I just can't believe someone would be so disrepectful. It boggles my mind.

I've been tempted to say something once in a while. Usually it's because of a specific teacher, and something about their style. Luckily I've been able to bite my tongue before going off, and making a big deal of things.
tourist
Posted 2007-02-21 6:59 PM (#78361 - in reply to #78352)

Expert Yogi

Oh mama - can this really be the end?????
idance
Posted 2007-02-22 11:04 AM (#78396 - in reply to #78240)

I haven't had to thow anyone out. YET. My studio has only been open one month. I hope it won't come to that. I've had to set some ground rules.
yogabrian
Posted 2007-02-22 11:56 AM (#78400 - in reply to #78240)

I have had to ask people to leave before. It usually is because of my "keep your body clean" rule. If you stink, go home and take a shower. I teach a heated yoga and there is nothing worse then smell of heavy perfume, lotion, BO or cigarettes while one sweats.

Posted 2007-02-22 2:26 PM (#78420 - in reply to #78240)

i've never had to do that, but i have asked someone to be mindful about it.
GreenJello
Posted 2007-02-23 10:04 AM (#78519 - in reply to #78361)

tourist - 2007-02-21 6:59 PM

Oh mama - can this really be the end?????

To be stuck inside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again....

I have no idea what the hell he's talking about, but the emotions are unmistakable.
tourist
Posted 2007-02-23 10:12 AM (#78521 - in reply to #78519)

Expert Yogi

I once had a toddler in my group who would cry "oh mama!" when she got hurt. It sounded EXACTLY like the song. Too funny
ollie
Posted 2007-02-28 12:27 PM (#78902 - in reply to #78277)

tourist - 2007-02-20 6:35 PM

Never thrown someone out of class, hate it when people come in late. .

I take yoga in a gym setting and this happens all of the time! In fact the other day my teacher exclaimed "oh, this is going to be an all male class" because there were 6 guys and no ladies. I said "nope; it is just that the guys are ON TIME." You should have seen the look on her face.

Then, sure enough, the ladies came; and yes, a few were late (as usual).

And there is one character who ALWAYS shows up 30-35 mintues late.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-03-02 11:22 AM (#79057 - in reply to #78240)

Here's the flip side of the question: how do you deal with the student that, after 20 minutes or so of the class, decides that they're ??? (bored? not challenged enough? don't like the poses being offered?) and they leave? Obviously, when you pay for a class in a drop-in setting, that's less likely to happen, but at a gym, where the classes are all included in your membership fee, the cost isn't a factor. When I would take fitness classes I would see this happening pretty regularly and it really wouldn't sit well with me. And now that I'm on the receiving end of it, I have to work very hard not to take a student's early exit personally. If the teacher is told ahead of time that you have to leave, that's perfectly fine, and I have seen that as well as experienced that, and I don't think anyone is affected by it. But 20 minutes into the class?? Maybe this doesn't happen in yoga (other than people skipping out on savasana) and I'd really like to think it doesn't. Like it or not, I think there's a certain level of respect that a yoga teacher is given as opposed to an instructor leading a fitness class. Personally, I think it's rude either way, regardless of the perceived level of authority and expertise someone might think a yoga teacher deserves above any other sort of movement teacher. And it's certainly a pretty nasty shock to the ego, even for those who are trying very hard to live outside their own egos.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)