YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Getting rid of acne and bikram
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

scrutdada
Posted 2007-02-19 6:04 PM (#78178)
Subject: Getting rid of acne and bikram

i am have some acne issues on my face that have not gotten any better in several months. i regularly practice Bikram yoga and do not want to visit a traditional dermatologist because when I was younger the medication they gave me contained so much alcohol that I am almost positive it would create issues with all of the sweating involved. because of the sweating I would really like an internal treatment if possible, but would be willing to use a topical one if nothing else is available. Does anyone have any experience with herbal/all natural cures? going to google produces nothing but ads for products I know nothing about. Any help is greatly appreciated. i would consider my skin oily if that makes a difference.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-02-21 8:23 AM (#78318 - in reply to #78178)
Subject: RE: Getting rid of acne and bi

well, i would try a number of things:

internal

1. vitamin A--vitamin a in it's natural form found in eggs, dairy, and meat, as well as cod liver oil, are excellent for the skin.

2. vitamin D--sunlight, dairy products, cod liver oil

3. plenty of water and whole, fresh foods--by being well hydrated and having good nturition, the skin is less likely to break out.

external

4. honey--raw honey makes an excellent wash. use a bit on the fingers and rub it into the skin. then, rinse and dry with a damp cloth.

5. egg mask--vitamin A which is abundant in egg yolks is excellent for the skin. rub a yolk on the face and let it sit for 20 mintues, then rinse.

5. olive oil washing--instead of washing with soap and water (which can be drying), gently rub olive oil on your face. let stand for a moment or two, and then using a very soft face cloth, wipe away oil which will also draw away dirt, dead skin, etc, and moisturize at the same time.

moisture on the skin is very helpful for decreasing dryness which often leads to more ache break outs. so, if you moisturize instead of trying to dry, then your skin will likely clear up on it's own.

finally, a product for spot treatment--tea tree oil. body shop sells a blemish stick of tea tree oil which is excellent for spot treatment.

Good luck--the last thing, btw, is hormones, which might cause occassional break outs. but, i can say that my skin, and my husband's, improved with a healthy diet rich in vitamins A and D (my husband's acne and psoriasis; my acne) and using moisture (such as honey wash once a day, then olive oil once a day, plus yolk masks weekly, and spot treatment when necessary) really helped us out.

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-02-21 9:46 AM (#78321 - in reply to #78178)
Subject: RE: Getting rid of acne and bikram

scrutdada - 2007-02-19 6:04 PM

i am have some acne issues on my face that have not gotten any better in several months. i regularly practice Bikram yoga and do not want to visit a traditional dermatologist because when I was younger the medication they gave me contained so much alcohol that I am almost positive it would create issues with all of the sweating involved. because of the sweating I would really like an internal treatment if possible, but would be willing to use a topical one if nothing else is available. Does anyone have any experience with herbal/all natural cures? going to google produces nothing but ads for products I know nothing about. Any help is greatly appreciated. i would consider my skin oily if that makes a difference.

The best natural cure shall be: take time off, stop all food, drink only water, take a lot of rest, and take sunshine as well. With time, acne shall dissappear. And, then go back to regular execise and good food routine.

tourist
Posted 2007-02-21 10:21 AM (#78325 - in reply to #78321)

Expert Yogi

I had a chuckle at this post because it implies getting rid of bikram along with the acne It seems a lot of people report having much better skin with Bikram practice intially, then having big problems after awhile. I assume you are doing Bikram and finding your skin has become a problem? There are multiple threads here discussing that, so do a search and have a look. For some, the "cure" has been to get rid of Bikram. The heat, the bacteria, the sweat etc. seem to just not work for them over time. But there are plenty of suggestions on how to continue the practice but treat the skin if you really want to keep doing it.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-02-21 11:51 AM (#78329 - in reply to #78325)

tourist - 2007-02-21 10:21 AM

I had a chuckle at this post because it implies getting rid of bikram along with the acne It seems a lot of people report having much better skin with Bikram practice intially, then having big problems after awhile. I assume you are doing Bikram and finding your skin has become a problem? There are multiple threads here discussing that, so do a search and have a look. For some, the "cure" has been to get rid of Bikram. The heat, the bacteria, the sweat etc. seem to just not work for them over time. But there are plenty of suggestions on how to continue the practice but treat the skin if you really want to keep doing it.

This is obvious. Becasue skin's main function in the human system is regulation of temperature. When a temperature which one would not use otherwise, that is which one shall use only for 1 hour or so period, is exposed to the skin, the skin shall try to maintain its temperature. In case of heat, it shall sweat more, and giving a false feeling that cleaning is taking place and also giving an extra false flexibility, and a false feeling of exhileration which can come from a cup of coffee. The extra work on the skin shall catch up depending on how much rest and other balancing factors which a person gets. For example, the same person with problems, if takes another 3 hours sleep each day, drink more organic fruit juices and distilled water and reduce the other diet, etc. then the problems shall disappear, but the at the cost of loosing time of work, weight, etc.

If heat was an important requirement for the Yoga Exercise, it would not have slipped the minds of greatest Yogis who lived in the past.

Cyndi
Posted 2007-02-21 12:02 PM (#78333 - in reply to #78325)

Expert Yogi

Okay NB....We got it already,
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-02-21 1:36 PM (#78337 - in reply to #78333)

Cyndi - 2007-02-21 12:02 PM

Okay NB....We got it already,

But, as for the actual exercise routine, one can go with Bikram without much problem.

Posted 2007-02-21 3:52 PM (#78346 - in reply to #78178)

i think that heat can be beneficial to the acne, but only after one is 'internally cleansed.' when one first practices hot yoga, the skin goes yuck and the sweat is yuck and the stink is yuck. but once the diet and everything is cleaned out, balanced, etc, it's no longer yuck. people dont' smell any more (it's sweet smellign or nearly odorless), and the sweat is just moisture, oil from the body/skin, and often the excess nutrients that are in the body (from a nutrient rich diet) which nourishes the skin.

i don't think that ancient yogi's forgot to mention heat, i think they just lived in it. certain areas of india are quite hot for the majority of the year. they must not have thought about it much, because they weren't necessarily practicing it in places like alaska. though, it seems that when it is cold outside, they would do things to heat the body, which would note that some measure of heat--whether internal or external--is benefical.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-02-21 4:44 PM (#78356 - in reply to #78346)

zoebird - 2007-02-21 3:52 PM

i think that heat can be beneficial to the acne, but only after one is 'internally cleansed.' when one first practices hot yoga, the skin goes yuck and the sweat is yuck and the stink is yuck. but once the diet and everything is cleaned out, balanced, etc, it's no longer yuck. people dont' smell any more (it's sweet smellign or nearly odorless), and the sweat is just moisture, oil from the body/skin, and often the excess nutrients that are in the body (from a nutrient rich diet) which nourishes the skin.

===> Excess heat is never beneficial to the body. If it be so, one should maintain it all the time, not only at the time of exercise (similar to the hot part of India which remains hot through out the day, due to evironmental cycle, and not for the yoga practice!). The sweating is a reaction to excess heat to cool the body down, it will not sweat if there is no excess heat. When internal cleansing is not done, skin is used to throw the toxic which is really a function of kidneys. The toxic thrown out of the skin is much less harmful than when it was inside. Excess nutrients also never nourish the body. The body is made of cells and the cells take only what is needed. Any excess nutrients act as poison to the body though slightly less toxic than the more potent poisons. Even real nutrients when digested and metabolized produce toxin, called as metabolic waste.

i don't think that ancient yogi's forgot to mention heat, i think they just lived in it. certain areas of india are quite hot for the majority of the year. they must not have thought about it much, because they weren't necessarily practicing it in places like alaska. though, it seems that when it is cold outside, they would do things to heat the body, which would note that some measure of heat--whether internal or external--is benefical.

===> No. Dear ZB. Ancient Yogis such as the famous Veda Vyasa lived in Himalayas in subzero temperatures. And, their bodies produced heat necessary as you suggested. Also, then they warmed the bodies and environment worshipping the fire. However, even though, they practiced yogasanas in the cold weather. Yes. lot of parts of India are warm and so in California, and Florida. And, yes great civilizations have thrived in warmer parts of the world with better avaiability of food, etc. and also of better environment for living. But, this has nothing to do with heating the room for exercise.

Actually, excessive hot places in the world use Air Conditioning to cool the environment and not keep it hot. And, that includes for Yoga Classes. For example, yoga schools in south India keep fans on to cool the room while doing yoga.

This logic, someone came up with, to heat the room beause India is hot, is a xxxx gimmic. I can give you many other ideas similar to that. For example, take a warm shower before starting Yoga.

Interesting comment. See my response above with ===>.
shalamOM
Posted 2007-05-03 10:40 AM (#85056 - in reply to #78178)

Heat is good for the body, but not excessively and not necessarily because of the sweating itself. Raising the body's temp for short periods simulates a fever. The purpose of a fever is to create a hostile environment for viruses/bacteria to thrive in....It's the body's antibiotic mechanism. Northern Europeans invented saunas and native americans had their sweat lodges. Evidence shows that saunas do lower the incidence of colds. Bikram yoga may be too intense for most people because of the length of time in the heat and the fact that you are exercises within it. Generally when people use saunas and such they rest.

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-03 2:31 PM (#85082 - in reply to #85056)

shalamOM - 2007-05-03 10:40 AM

===> With all respect and love to you, this is wrong.

Heat is good for the body, but not excessively and not necessarily because of the sweating itself.
===> Heat from outside is NOT good for body beyond the body's desired temperature. Whatever heat the body needs, it produces itself by buring the food. When external is more, it produces sweating. When it is less, it stops sweating.

Raising the body's temp for short periods simulates a fever. The purpose of a fever is to create a hostile environment for viruses/bacteria to thrive in....It's the body's antibiotic mechanism.
===> No. Body mechanisms are accelerated at high temperature. And, the body creates the fever as a part of this mechanism. That is why the temperature is high during the fever. When, not necessary, it reduces the temperature back to normal. Raising temperature from outside makes the body to lower the temperature to normal by sweating, thus not doing anything to accelerate the anibiotic mechanism. It actually creates extra work, and reduces the functions except trying to reduce the temperature.

Northern Europeans invented saunas and native americans had their sweat lodges. Evidence shows that saunas do lower the incidence of colds.
===> Saunas and sweat logdges are wrong discoveries. They give a superficial feeling of wellness at the cost of de-energising the system. And, they do NOT lower colds and coughs.

Bikram yoga may be too intense for most people because of the length of time in the heat and the fact that you are exercises within it. Generally when people use saunas and such they rest.
===> Heating the room during exercise is wrong in principle. And, gives unhealthy results as against when the same exercise is done without heating the room.

Katrina_K
Posted 2007-12-04 12:40 AM (#100310 - in reply to #78178)

scrutdada - 2007-02-19 6:04 PM

Herbal/natural remedies for acne problems really works.You can visit at http://www.mamaherb.com for home remedies.
Ram
Posted 2007-12-04 1:25 PM (#100337 - in reply to #78178)

I suffered with a lot of acne as a teen and took accutane. As an adult it continued in my thirties but I started to take colostrum and it disappeared. Believe me I tried everything and colostrum was like a miracle.
slipjig
Posted 2010-03-12 2:55 PM (#121879 - in reply to #78178)

I do feel that Bikram Yoga is not good for the body. Even though I absolutely loved the handful of classes I took! I am a pretty healthy person in how I feed my body. I stay away from processed foods as much as possible and eat a very well rounded diet with brown rice, veggies, fruit, and very little meat. I don't drink any sodas, or sweetned juices, but mainly water all day long. I also practice a vinyasa power yoga 6x a week and dance 2x a week as well. So I feel I'm in pretty good shape. After a few Bikram classes my face started to break out.....I have always had good skin for the most part, but Bikram brought out the evil in my skin. After about 6 classes I stopped and my skin cleared up very quickly. I do believe that when your body goes into fever mode that toxins are stirred unaturally and your body is NOT just going through a detox stage, but trying to compensate for the fever and in turn stirring the toxins uneccessarily. I would love to hear more views on this! Thanks!

Posted 2010-03-12 5:52 PM (#121886 - in reply to #121879)

The heat in a Bikram class opens the pores of your face. Any bacteria from your hands or the environment will get into your pores. When they close again due to cooler temperatures after class, the bacteria that is now in your pores can cause acne.

If you take a shower immediately after class and wash your face with warm water and a mild antibacterial soap to remove the bacteria, followed by cool water to close the pores, it should help.

Toxins are mainly expelled through your urine and your breath. You do not sweat out toxins, other than in very, very tiny amounts. The purpose of sweating is to lower your body temperature, not remove toxins.

There are other possibilities about how Bikram classes can cause acne, but I think that the above explanation is the most frequent.

Warriorgirl
Posted 2010-07-19 8:38 PM (#124187 - in reply to #78178)

Try rinsing your face and neck with a cleanser with Tea Tree oil before AND after your practive.
anal sex stories
Posted 2011-01-28 3:14 AM (#202421 - in reply to #78178)
Subject: Re: Getting rid of acne and bikram

New User

Thank you! It`s very useful!
Dacite
Posted 2011-04-08 4:56 PM (#208080 - in reply to #78178)

Regular

The best treatment ever is a plant based food and from outside treat your acne with Castor oil. It does work great!
acneperfect
Posted 2011-10-11 4:28 AM (#209336 - in reply to #78178)

New User

YOGIC MANAGEMENT

Stress is the main culprit for acne outbreak. People whose lifestyle results in more stress and who are prone to acne can look at Yoga for managing stress and combating acne.

Yoga increases the flow of blood thereby protecting the skin from acne infections. The toxins are drained out with the blood flow.

Yoga suggests that the spices like coriander and turmeric, which are known for their natural antibiotic properties, are useful in treatment of acne.

People, more prone to acne are advised to practice forward bending postures along with inverted postures. This should be combined with deep relaxation for 10 minutes in the supine posture. All these yoga postures help in managing stress and combating acne.
gabriel
Posted 2011-10-20 2:46 AM (#209380 - in reply to #78178)
Subject: Re: Getting rid of acne and bikram

New User

Drink lots of water! By drinking 8 glasses of water can help flush the toxins from your body that cause acne.

Edited by gabriel 2011-10-20 2:48 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)