YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Philosophy of Yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

bipinjoshi
Posted 2007-02-09 12:06 AM (#76972)
Subject: Philosophy of Yoga

Hi Friends,
Recently some of my local friends were having discussion about yoga in general. The topic started revolving around "what is core philosophy of yoga". Each of them put forward their own ideas about the topic and of course as it happens with any group the ideas were varying. I was observing them silently (I rarely participate in debates and arguments) and happen to recollect one Shloka that beautifully explains the essence of Yoga. Before I share that shloka (many of you might be knowing it already. It's a well known shloka.) I am curious to know what you think. If somebody asks you - "Explain the core philosophy of Yoga in not more than 2 lines." What will be your answer?

Edited by bipinjoshi 2007-02-09 12:11 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jonnie
Posted 2007-02-09 12:53 AM (#76974 - in reply to #76972)
Subject: RE: Philosophy of Yoga

Hi Bipinjoshi,

Yogas-citta-vrttu-nirodhah

Yoga is the restriction of the fluctuations of consciousness.

Jonathon
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-02-09 1:10 AM (#76979 - in reply to #76972)

Boy! Tough question and 2 line answer?

1. Yoga one one hand is the state where individuality is merged into Universality, also called as kaivalyam, samaadhi, moksha, union of atman with paramaatman, shiva-jiva-yuti, etc.

2. And, on another hand, it is the practice which shall utimately lead to the state described in 1.

bipinjoshi
Posted 2007-02-09 3:51 AM (#76997 - in reply to #76972)

purnayoga - 2007-02-08 12:28 AM

Yoga cannot be described.
It must be experienced.

I agree with you. However, it has always been an effort from human beings to express things in words. Even God has been expressed in words (Shabda Bramhan). As the Patanjali's famous sutra says "Tasya Vachaka Pranava". So it is just an effort to express, share our ideas.

mishoga
Posted 2007-02-09 5:14 AM (#76999 - in reply to #76972)

Expert Yogi

OK, this is me being wishy washy

"Yoga is to surrender to the unknown, without judgement"
"Yoga is unconditional love and acceptance"

This is my core philosophy

Edited by mishoga 2007-02-09 5:14 AM
bipinjoshi
Posted 2007-02-09 10:27 PM (#77095 - in reply to #76972)

Ok. Here is that wonderful shloka from Kularnava Tantra and its translation:

Sanskrit:

Deho Devalayo Devi, Jivo Devah Sadashivah
Tyajet Ajana Nirmalye Soham Bhavena Pujayet

Translation:

(Lord Shiva says) O Devi! (i.e. Parvati) This body is temple. The living being inside is Sadashiva (one of the names of Shiva) himself. Renounce debris of ignorance and worship him with "he and I are same (or I am that)" attitude.

My English translation possibly will not convey its profound meaning. It has deep meaning. Every word such as temple, Soham, Devi, Sadashiva has much more significance and many facets than just the "face value". In just a few words it aptly captures the essence of Yoga. These lines beautifully enclose nature, practice as well as goal of Yoga.

Edited by bipinjoshi 2007-02-09 10:31 PM
GreenJello
Posted 2007-02-10 10:46 AM (#77128 - in reply to #76972)

Okay, before I read the bipin's response, here's mine:
sit down, shut up, get up, get out!
ystan
Posted 2007-02-15 7:53 AM (#77629 - in reply to #76972)

Yoga is the path replacing extreme emotions with perfect balance, through practice and devotion, one shall return to one’s source (true Self), and achieve absolute liberation. 

Else,

One can follow GJ’s 8-worded path to enlightenment!

SCThornley
Posted 2007-02-15 2:21 PM (#77704 - in reply to #76972)

Increase awareness

Experience absolute truth
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-02-15 2:44 PM (#77710 - in reply to #76972)

It's the end of the world as we know it

And I feel fine.

-- R.E.M.

susanchain
Posted 2007-03-18 1:59 PM (#80348 - in reply to #76972)

To be or not to be, this is not a question.

dmbones
Posted 2007-03-19 2:57 AM (#80383 - in reply to #76972)

Greetings,

Is yoga not the practice of uninterupted attention to that within us which is seamlessly unified with all else?

Michael
devotee
Posted 2007-03-19 6:22 AM (#80387 - in reply to #80383)

A lot of good thoughts ! Bipinji's sloka says all. Thanks, Bipinji. I will add :

Yoga means "getting united" which is opposite of Separateness. Yoga is a way which removes all illusions of separateness. It leads us to where there is no "I", no "You", no "He", no "She", nothing which can be called "other" .... there is only "THAT".
OptiMystic
Posted 2007-03-19 10:54 AM (#80414 - in reply to #76972)

I used to think Yoga breaks down the barriers between mind, body and spirit, but I think it is more accurate to see it reveals there are none. Oneness.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-19 11:45 AM (#80433 - in reply to #80414)

OptiMystic - 2007-03-19 10:54 AM

I used to think Yoga breaks down the barriers between mind, body and spirit, but I think it is more accurate to see it reveals there are none. Oneness.

NO. Body is the barrier for Mind, and Body/Mind are barriers for the Spirit. I mean in terms of realization.

When one thinks one is body, then body barrier comes. When one thinks one is body and/or mind, body-mind barrier comes. When one realizes one is spirit, no barrier comes.

mano budhyahankaarachittani naaham na cha shrotrajihve na cha ghraana netre na cha vyomabhuumir na vaa panchavaayuH... chidaanandaruupaH shivaHam.

OptiMystic
Posted 2007-03-19 2:25 PM (#80465 - in reply to #80433)

I think we may be saying roughly the same thing in different ways. I was referring to breaking down the barrier of body to get to mind and body as one, then breaking down the barrier between the mind/body as one and the spirit only to have the spirit reveal there never were any barriers. But I consider myself as awakened and not truly realized; the barriers come back. I have had some deep experiences that have changed me, but when I thought I would never see myself in the same light again I was wrong. Most of the time life is just as it was before and my ego exerts control just as before and even forms doubts about those experiences, which seemed impossible to ever imagine doubting.
devotee
Posted 2007-03-19 8:49 PM (#80498 - in reply to #80465)

[only to have the spirit reveal there never were any barriers.]

Yes. The barriers are imaginary .... they have no existence ..... just like dream. I have felt that everything comes from conditioning .... layers of conditioning ... one above the other.

[Most of the time life is just as it was before and my ego exerts control just as before and even forms doubts about those experiences, which seemed impossible to ever imagine doubting.]

What I feel is that "practice" is necessary. The "I" gets transparent with practice ..... and again apparently becomes strong (not exactly same as it was before because you are aware & because you are aware, this awareness won't allow the ego to solidify fully ), if the practice is stopped before full realisation. Coming out of it will not be difficult for you. I think you know it well.
OptiMystic
Posted 2007-03-20 12:27 AM (#80506 - in reply to #76972)

There are different forces at work here. While the I is becoming more transparent, it is also becoming less repulsive. I have become more compassionate and I am a jerk less often (I still have my buttons). A dispassionate awareness of the persona I present at my job and social gatherings allows me to take stock of my character and make some fairly significant changes. Is this a trick of the ego to keep from being cast aside? If so, it's a good trick and I like it. I am more comfortable in my skin and whether that comfort is an illusion or not is of little consequence most of the time. One negative is that a good dose of compassion has caused me to become disappointed in people (including myself) and institutions doing far too little to help others even though they have the means.
But yes, I need to stay focused and practice.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-03-20 8:34 AM (#80524 - in reply to #76972)

One result of my practice is that I feel more connected to people, but care less about any judgement or pressure from others. It makes me brave enough to interact with people, where before I would be home alone all the time.
devotee
Posted 2007-03-20 9:09 AM (#80532 - in reply to #80506)

OptiMystic - 2007-03-20 12:27 AM
Is this a trick of the ego to keep from being cast aside? If so, it's a good trick and I like it. I am more comfortable in my skin and whether that comfort is an illusion or not is of little consequence most of the time. One negative is that a good dose of compassion has caused me to become disappointed in people (including myself) and institutions doing far too little to help others even though they have the means.
But yes, I need to stay focused and practice.

Feeling good or bad as a reaction towards anything ( people, things, emotions, behaviour etc.) is an indicator that the ego is still quite solid & capable of reflections. There is a stage when these reactions/reflections stop. .... that would come by practice & grace of the supreme being. There is no need to cast aside ego ( "who" will do it ?) .... we cannot do it ... you cannot run away from yourself. You start looking for it ( who gets happy or disappointed etc. ?) ... go deep inside & try to locate where it resides ... from where it emanates ... it would just vanish because it was nothing but illusion.
grasshopper
Posted 2007-03-20 2:13 PM (#80581 - in reply to #76972)

purnayoga - 2007-02-08 8:28 PM

Yoga cannot be described.
It must be experienced.

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself."
~Morpheus

tweeva
Posted 2007-04-26 3:50 AM (#84227 - in reply to #76972)

Veteran

Dance is yoga, yoga is dance

Edited by tweeva 2007-04-26 3:53 AM
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-26 9:22 AM (#84247 - in reply to #84227)

tweeva - 2007-04-26 3:50 AM

Dance is yoga, yoga is dance

Beware of Shalom.
tweeva
Posted 2007-04-26 10:40 AM (#84258 - in reply to #84247)

Veteran

WTF is Shalom? Please elaborate a bit, Neel.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-26 11:18 AM (#84269 - in reply to #84258)

tweeva - 2007-04-26 10:40 AM

WTF is Shalom? Please elaborate a bit, Neel.

ShalamOM: I've never danced and I don't like dance, but the instructors where I work who teach dance aerobic classes are the most admired and valued. They get paid the most too.l All the members are impressed with the dancers and seem to think yoga is for 'old people'. My yoga classes tend to get mostly 60 year olds.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)