YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Violent and judgemental..
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

YoGanesha
Posted 2007-02-07 11:53 AM (#76760)
Subject: Violent and judgemental..

Thoughts.

I've caught myself several times having violent and judgemental thoughts during relaxation and meditation.

Two nights ago while I was relaxing on my mat, I imagined a stranger coming into the house through the window and I was trying to fight him off by pushing him out the window so he wouldn't come into the house. how weird is that? I caught myself and was like "wtf am I doing? i'm suppose to be relaxing and thinking pure thoughts'. then today in class, I was thinking bad judgemental thoughts about the new girl in class. I had to remind myself that it wasn't very yogerly. lol

Does anyone else's mind wander in crazy thoughts while trying to medidate and relax?

Edited by YoGanesha 2007-02-07 12:00 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2007-02-07 12:14 PM (#76763 - in reply to #76760)
Subject: RE: Violent and judgemental..

Expert Yogi

Well, sometimes I try to cook dinner and pay the bills,

I wouldn't focus too much on the things you are thinking about when your mind is doing this.  Your suppose to bring your awareness back. Chogyam Trungpa had a neat way of teaching his students this aspect in his mind training course.  He called it "thinking".  So, whenever you wander off, just tell yourself that you are "thinking" and bring your awareness back into your body.   This principal works wonders when doing Yoga Asana's as well.  When you start thinking about other things while in your practice, bring your awareness back into your body.  Recognize that it's just thinking and train your mind accordingly.  It takes lots of practice.  Best of luck.  Try not to burn the cookies while in meditation, that really sucks!! 

Also, whatever arises, don't be afraid of it, let it pass. Don't judge anything, whether it be really good or really bad.  Like if those cookies really turn out to be really tasty and yummy, so be it.  That is really important.

Edited by Cyndi 2007-02-07 12:17 PM
tourist
Posted 2007-02-07 7:30 PM (#76829 - in reply to #76760)

Expert Yogi

Sounds like you were imagining "bad" thoughts coming into your savasana and had to fight them off! Symbols inside images Imagining bad things about someone else - you don't want anyone new to intrude on your special place and practice. Learn detachment. Think "huh, that was weird!" and then let it go.
jonnie
Posted 2007-02-08 11:40 AM (#76918 - in reply to #76760)

Hi Rachel,

These thoughts are inside of you. While not actually creating them, the stilling of the mind in Savasana or meditation helps to bring them to the surface of your conciousness and release them.

The secret is to continue your practise through them.

Sogyal Rinpoche uses the analogy of a person who has never taken a shower, showering for the first time.

As they begin to scrub away, they watch with horror as the dirt begins to ooze from every pore of their skin and down their body. "Something must be wrong" they think, "I was supposed to be getting cleaner and all I see is grime".

They panic and fling themselves out of the shower, convinced they should never have begun but only end up even more dirtier than before. They had no way of knowing that the best thing they could have done was to be patient and finish the shower.

It may look for a while as if we are getting even dirtier, but if we keep on washing we will eventually emerge fresh and clean.

It's all part of the process of purification.

Jonathon
SCThornley
Posted 2007-02-08 11:54 AM (#76920 - in reply to #76760)

YoGanesha - 2007-02-07 11:53 AM

i'm suppose to be relaxing and thinking pure thoughts'.

NO

You are trying to NOT think

let the thoughts come and go, observe them and quiet the mind

still the mind

thoughts are like pebbles thrown into the still pond of the soul, they ripple and muddy the waters so that you can not see the bottom.

Not until you stop throwing pebbles will you be able to see through the ripples and stop muddying the waters.

OrangeMat
Posted 2007-02-08 12:18 PM (#76925 - in reply to #76920)

SCThornley - 2007-02-08 11:54 AM
YoGanesha - 2007-02-07 11:53 AM i'm suppose to be relaxing and thinking pure thoughts'.
NO You are trying to NOT think let the thoughts come and go, observe them and quiet the mind still the mind thoughts are like pebbles thrown into the still pond of the soul, they ripple and muddy the waters so that you can not see the bottom. Not until you stop throwing pebbles will you be able to see through the ripples and stop muddying the waters.

To elaborate further... it's not like there are "good" pebbles and "bad" pebbles. The pebbles just ARE. You also just ARE. You and the pebbles are not one and the same. The work is separating the pebbles out of the equation, or rather their effect (ripples in the reflective surface) so that you can see who you really ARE (capital S Self).

I really like metaphors, can you tell?

Cyndi
Posted 2007-02-08 7:19 PM (#76952 - in reply to #76925)

Expert Yogi

There's also the sky analogy too.  It goes something to the effect that your mind is behind all the clouds.  It's always there, always has been there, clear as a bell.  The clouds are just passing by.  Sometimes it can be very stormy.  However, if you just sit there, wait, be still and patient, it will all pass.  That one is my favorite, cause I love sitting in a big huge open field with clear blue skies, like today was a fine clear day, not a cloud in the sky,
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-02-09 8:48 AM (#77008 - in reply to #76918)

Sogyal Rinpoche uses the analogy of a person who has never taken a shower, showering for the first time.

As they begin to scrub away, they watch with horror as the dirt begins to ooze from every pore of their skin and down their body. "Something must be wrong" they think, "I was supposed to be getting cleaner and all I see is grime".

They panic and fling themselves out of the shower, convinced they should never have begun but only end up even more dirtier than before. They had no way of knowing that the best thing they could have done was to be patient and finish the shower.

It may look for a while as if we are getting even dirtier, but if we keep on washing we will eventually emerge fresh and clean.

It's all part of the process of purification.

Hi Jonnie, I just hope I don't run out of hot water before I'm done.
jonnie
Posted 2007-02-09 9:23 AM (#77013 - in reply to #76760)

...tell me about it
osutuffy
Posted 2007-02-19 4:21 AM (#78077 - in reply to #76760)

I'm glad you brought this up. When I was younger I used to meditate on a regular basis, if a thought like that would cross my mind, I would think that there was something wrong with me. I had the misunderstanding that meditation was meant to see who I was and I thought that these thoughts meant I was a terrible person. I became a little scared to meditate. BTW I was 8.

Then when I was a little older I found out about my father's mental illness and was afraid when these types of thoughts came up it was because I was going to be like him. This was between 12-16.

Now that I am older and trying to start again with meditation and understand all the purposes for meditation, I feel like I have to supress these thoughts.

So, thanks for sharing, nice to know that I'm not the only one that has had this. And thanks to the responses to this question. I always felt dirty or evil if I had an image or bad thought float passed. I certainly had never intended on admitting to having them.
tourist
Posted 2007-02-19 10:34 AM (#78107 - in reply to #78077)

Expert Yogi

osu - One of the basic beliefs of yoga is that there is a perfect place within us all. It is that perfect place of stillness that you are trying to reach. The rest is just maya - illusion. So the "bad thoughts" are merely illusion and have no meaning really.

A challenge for you is to simply do what I call TQM - ten quiet minutes. Sit, relax, breathe and be still. Don't be attached to your thoughts - use all the stuff that has been written here. OH! Back in Yoga International awhile ago there was a counting meditation used for OCD. I have given my copies away - does anyone remember this? I thought it was ironic that they used counting for a person that probably already counts everything they do

Tell me, what made you decide to meditate at age 8? I did pranayama and mudra at 5 or 6 but had no idea that is what I was doing. Perhaps we were both yogis in earlier lives?
osutuffy
Posted 2007-02-19 3:31 PM (#78151 - in reply to #78107)

Tell me, what made you decide to meditate at age 8? I did pranayama and mudra at 5 or 6 but had no idea that is what I was doing. Perhaps we were both yogis in earlier lives?

This is a little complicated but I'll try not to flood My mother's best friend's dad called himself a New Age Christian. I can not remember all of his beliefs or practices, just some of what he and his wife taught me. They gave me an autograph book by Mary Summer Rain and I remember some things from that book, but someone threw it out . Mountains, Meadows, and Moonbeams. Anyway, my mother wasn't a kid person so she shipped me off to various people for the summer. I loved going to Debbi's cause it meant I got to see her dad and learn things from them. For me it was like how Native Americans go off on a spirit quest to recieve their vision. Her parents were guides in my spirit quest.
They had started teaching me about healing powers of crystals, some self healing things, like how to get rid of a headache, and meditation. I wish I had more time with them or had retained more of what they taught. I have practiced what I learned of meditation from them, but they taught me in a way for a child to understand. I always feel like I am searching for the next lesson they would have given me. I never knew what they were working for when they meditated. If it was just a stress reliever, an everyday tool, or if they were trying to find enlightenment, or know God. They taught it to me as a way to help with negative things in my life. I was scared of flying, they gave me a thought to focus on so I would not be scared.
My mother liked it when I came back from their house because I was much calmer. I was an angry kid for the most part. They helped me break lots of bad diet habits. My mom and sister can not go with out having a Coke. They both get headaches if they do not have one right away. That's all we had to drink in the house. My mom was so mad that she had to buy juice when I came back because I refused to drink pop. Kept telling her how bad it was for you I'm glad I don't have the dependency on it that they do.
You know how they talk about people getting brainwashed by cults? I sometimes feel like because of them I started out on the right path and then a cult came along and brainwashed me into denying all the good they taught me and this cult made me angry and petty. Now I am detoxing the cult teachings so to speak. Because I did not have anyone to show me how to progress, I didn't want to stay in the same place so I backed up and went the wrong way. As long as I was moving forward in some direction I was ok.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-02-19 5:43 PM (#78177 - in reply to #76760)

YoGanesha - 2007-02-07 11:53 AM

Thoughts.

I've caught myself several times having violent and judgemental thoughts during relaxation and meditation.

Two nights ago while I was relaxing on my mat, I imagined a stranger coming into the house through the window and I was trying to fight him off by pushing him out the window so he wouldn't come into the house. how weird is that? I caught myself and was like "wtf am I doing? i'm suppose to be relaxing and thinking pure thoughts'. then today in class, I was thinking bad judgemental thoughts about the new girl in class. I had to remind myself that it wasn't very yogerly. lol

Does anyone else's mind wander in crazy thoughts while trying to medidate and relax?

dear Yoganesh: I bow down to you due to Ganesh part of your name. Actually, you are doing wonderful. Yes, mind is wandering. it is called chittavrutti. And, you know that during your meditation since during that time, you do not want it to wander. Now, your job is not to analyse how it wanders and etimology of that. That analysis is only for a very advanced meditator. For now, your job is to see how the wandering becomes less than what is present. And, that is the meditation. yogashchittavruttinirodhaH.. Patanjali.

tourist
Posted 2007-02-19 10:45 PM (#78199 - in reply to #78151)

Expert Yogi

Cool Tiffany! Those people might have given you an anchor or a liferaft in a way - something to keep you going when you had lots of things in your life that you had to deal with. This is why we have to be there for kids - everyone's kids. Little comments, specific teachings, as you had, can make a difference. We see a 12 year old on a semi regular basis. Her little sister is adorable and "works it" and manages to get lots of attention. Big sister is at an awkward age - a little rounder than I am sure she wants to be and starting to think in teen terms. I make a point to compliment her on some aspect of her looks (she has gorgeous red hair) or mention her accomplishments (her mom tells us the stuff she does) as casually as I can. You never know when those things stick and make a difference. This kid will be fine - she has a great family - but a little "gosh you look great in green!" can still help take the sting out of having an incredibly cute little (dumb ) sister who gets all the attention. OK - this is different from your story. But sorta the same. And it took so long to type, I won't erase it!
osutuffy
Posted 2007-02-19 11:10 PM (#78203 - in reply to #78199)

I think I'd be worse off if it weren't for them. My mother thought they were a little loony but at least they sent me back calm. They gave me some discipline too. I have a photo of the dad (I adopted them as my grandparents) beating a scotish drum beside of me. I have a pillow wrapped around my head because I wanted to go back to sleep. It was about 430-500 am!

I remember getting to go on nature walks with them, and reading, and all kinds of stuff. They did not have a tv and I was ok with that. Not at first But they did take the time to teach me things.
When I left there house, I was very peaceful. When I got home my mother was happy, but started undoing what they did. I didn't have anything else to do but watch tv. She wouldn't buy healthy things to eat. I can remember that after spending time with them being aware of when I was being a brat and feeling bad for it. How many kids will admit they are aware that they are a brat?
Speaking of teaching kids right. You just gave me a great idea. Are there many books out there that teach kids about yoga? My nephew is mini me! My sister and her husband are 9 years older than me and used to pick on me when I was a kid. I remember them making fun of my ears and toes and telling them I hope their unborn children come out like me. My nephew has my narrow nasal passage, ears, toes, and OCD. Everyone keeps saying he'll be ok, that I turned out ok. He gets more love and attention than I did. But I'd like to give him a little guidance. Maybe spare him some of my neurotic tendencies
joscmt
Posted 2007-02-20 10:14 AM (#78228 - in reply to #76760)

Baron Baptiste has a kid's book out called "My Daddy is a Pretzel" it looks really cute!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)