YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for all you Iyengis
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

mishoga
Posted 2007-02-06 9:16 AM (#76597)
Subject: Question for all you Iyengis

Expert Yogi

I admit, Iyengar yoga is not my favorite to practice, as Gordon once commented to me, I do have a problem with stillness for prolonged periods. Probably why I love Asthanga and Vinyasa.
Well, this isn't about that issue.

How does one go about becoming a Iyengar teacher. How long does that take? Can someone do that in a 200 hour training? Not asking because I'm interested for myself. I am questioning because I recently met someone who claims to be a Iyengar teacher, (now going through Rahini training). This person has been teaching for 6 years.
I thought the process of becoming a certified Iyengar teacher is lengthy.
Can someone please explain this to me.

One of the precepts we cover through training is Satya pertaining to your training and experience. Most Iyengar teachers I know locally are older and have practiced for more than 15 years. Six years from start to now seems quick for a Iyengar based practice qualifying someone to teach the technique.
OK, I know I sound uninformed and I am. That is why I am asking.
Thanks to all who share their knowledge.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-02-06 9:26 AM (#76604 - in reply to #76597)
Subject: RE: Question for all you Iyengis

...and Ms. Mish...curious minds wanna know, what happened with your TV appearance?
jonnie
Posted 2007-02-06 1:05 PM (#76628 - in reply to #76597)

Hi Mish,

Before being accepted on an Iyengar Introductory teacher training course a student must have completed a minimum of three years regular study with an approved Iyengar Yoga teacher. A letter of recommendation from the student's regular teacher is also required. Most trainers also hold a preliminary test class before accepting a candidate and the first term of the course is normally a probationary period.

The Introductory course requires a minimum of two years and 120 hours contact time in teacher training classes. In addition, trainees are required to maintain a home practice with a regular attendance at a more advanced level class, if one is available, and to help an experienced teacher in a weekly beginners class. Besides this there are four course work assignments and two written papers for assessment, on various subjects covering some yoga philosophy, elementary anatomy and teaching theory.

The Introductory course is structured in two levels with an assessment at each level. The first assessment has to be passed before the second is attempted. Both practical and written elements must be passed. After successfully completing the coursework and passing the second assessment the teacher gains an Introductory teacher's certificate and is then qualified to teach a specified range of Introductory asanas (postures).

Because of the high entry requirements and the length of time required, some Iyengar senior teachers now offer YA registered teacher training programs at 200 and 500 hours. These teach Iyengar principles but to be certified as an Iyengar teacher, a person still has to complete all the assessments mentioned above.

Jonathon
mishoga
Posted 2007-02-06 1:38 PM (#76632 - in reply to #76604)

Expert Yogi

Bruce I knew someone would ask. I have been procrastinating Today is the day to reply. Just returned home from work and taking care of business. Had to catch up here.

Jonnie, I knew it was involved and I have such respect for the dedication of all iyengar teachers.
I'm interested to find out the formal education of this teacher. I can't imagine why she chose to go 500 hr training with rahini and is not continuing her training with Iyengar tradition. The two styles are very opposite.

I'm sure I will have more contact with this person but I can see that it would be frustrating to bring her Iyengar training into Rahini to find she will be corrected for the practice of Rahini.

OK, I really need to get busy writing this woman.

Thanks for your answer Jonnie. Much appreciated. I have a new found appreciation for the training of Iyengis.

Posted 2007-02-06 2:22 PM (#76638 - in reply to #76632)

Of course we wanna know Mish--here we stroked you when requested and we wanna make sure it wasn't in vain...and I KNOW you'll do the right thing....make me proud!
jonnie
Posted 2007-02-07 7:41 AM (#76712 - in reply to #76597)

Hi Mish,

Yes, it is quite an intense process, and that is just for the Introductory Certificate.

After completing the Introductory,students may apply to take Intermediate Junior Level 1 (a minimum of 18 months after gaining their Introductory Certificate). This is a three-part certificate with a minimum of six months (normally 12 months) between each section.

Teachers may then apply to take Intermediate Senior Level 1 a minimum of 18 months to two years after gaining their Level 3 Intermediate Junior Certificate and the Advanced Certificate is only awarded on the recommendation of the RIMYI.

What news of the TV appearance?

Jonathon
mishoga
Posted 2007-02-07 9:24 AM (#76728 - in reply to #76597)

Expert Yogi

Nada on the response from email yet. I'll keep ya all posted.

This person was in Adho Mukha Savasana and her back was collapsed with head almost touching floor. When Mentor corrected her alignment (she is also hyper flexible), she said this is how they perform this asana in Iyengar. Is this true?

Just wondering?????
tourist
Posted 2007-02-07 10:37 AM (#76742 - in reply to #76728)

Expert Yogi

mish - you could ask her what her assessment was like. Most Iyengar teachers will discuss that scary process It will give you an idea if she is actually certified (you could also just ask her or look up the certified teachers - the US Iyengar grop has that on a website, I am sure) or not. Lots of people are taking Iyengar workshops or TT uprograms and claiming they teach Iyengar, but if you aren't certified or working toward it, you should not identify yourself as an Iyengar teacher. "Influenced" or "had some training" maybe... I'll be interested to hear more about this!
mishoga
Posted 2007-02-07 11:06 AM (#76754 - in reply to #76742)

Expert Yogi

tourist - 2007-02-07 10:37 AM

if you aren't certified or working toward it, you should not identify yourself as an Iyengar teacher. "Influenced" or "had some training" maybe... I'll be interested to hear more about this!

That is exactly what I'm thinking. I will ask these questions and see what her answers are. I did ask this person why she was coming over to Rahini. Rahini is not a alignment practice, not that we aren't educated in anatomy and alignment but Rahini is more a spiritual practice.

Like I stated, I have trouble being still in poses for long periods of time performing micro movements but I have the utmost repsect for any authentic Iyengar teacher. To me, that is practically a lifetime of training (well not really but in comparison to other forms of Yoga it is)
jonnie
Posted 2007-02-07 1:09 PM (#76767 - in reply to #76728)

mishoga - 2007-02-08 5:24 PM

This person was in Adho Mukha Savasana and her back was collapsed with head almost touching floor. When Mentor corrected her alignment (she is also hyper flexible), she said this is how they perform this asana in Iyengar. Is this true?

Yes & no!

In the full pose, the crown of the head rests on the floor, though this is achieved by pushing the torso towards the legs, not by over hyper extending the spine.

Jonathon
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-02-07 9:35 PM (#76836 - in reply to #76767)

Expert Yogi

If I remember correctly, Iyengar demonstrates the pose that way in Light on Yoga.  (I've seen a number of photos of Iyengar in that pose, so I'm not certain that this was shown in the book.)

You can put a folded blanket under the head for support in AMS without going to the arched spine.

// bg

tourist
Posted 2007-02-08 10:37 AM (#76905 - in reply to #76836)

Expert Yogi

Head goes on the floor but NO collapse of the spine. A few lifetimes away for me
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-02-13 9:28 PM (#77442 - in reply to #76905)

Expert Yogi

What you really want to avoid is making a hinge out of your shoulders.

.. bg

dutchdivah
Posted 2007-02-15 8:55 AM (#77638 - in reply to #76742)

tourist - 2007-02-07 4:37 PM

mish - you could ask her what her assessment was like. Most Iyengar teachers will discuss that scary process It will give you an idea if she is actually certified (you could also just ask her or look up the certified teachers - the US Iyengar grop has that on a website, I am sure) or not. Lots of people are taking Iyengar workshops or TT uprograms and claiming they teach Iyengar, but if you aren't certified or working toward it, you should not identify yourself as an Iyengar teacher. "Influenced" or "had some training" maybe... I'll be interested to hear more about this!

yes, that assessment... it's still some time away for me now. And already giving me nightmares... I've heard so many horror stories!

But the process of getting admitted to my TT course was scary enough in and of itself. It embodied, amongst other things, participating in an andvanced class under the guidance of a senior teacher, a written statement of where I find myself in my training and practice, and an oral interview. I teach yoga, and I practice Iyengar, but I would not call myself an Iyengar yoga teacher - not before I finish my Introductory I and II teacher training at least, so for me that's some 3 years away...
jonnie
Posted 2007-02-15 9:15 AM (#77645 - in reply to #77638)

dutchdivah - 2007-02-16 4:55 PM

yes, that assessment... it's still some time away for me now. And already giving me nightmares... I've heard so many horror stories!

You should be afraid, very afraid...

tourist
Posted 2007-02-15 10:13 AM (#77660 - in reply to #77638)

Expert Yogi

DD - assessment was tough but not nightmare-worthy in the end You will be surprised at how fast those 3 years go
dutchdivah
Posted 2007-02-15 10:26 AM (#77663 - in reply to #77660)

tourist - 2007-02-15 4:13 PM

DD - assessment was tough but not nightmare-worthy in the end You will be surprised at how fast those 3 years go

tourist, thanks for the reassurance

and I know, I can't believe the end of my first year is nearing already. Every weekend I feel like I'm just beginning!
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-02-18 10:25 PM (#78048 - in reply to #77645)

Expert Yogi

jonnie - 2007-02-15 9:15 AM
dutchdivah - 2007-02-16 4:55 PM yes, that assessment... it's still some time away for me now. And already giving me nightmares... I've heard so many horror stories!

Afraid that they will ask you to stay in Vshchkasana for 35 minutes?

dutchdivah
Posted 2007-02-19 9:21 AM (#78098 - in reply to #78048)

Bay Guy - 2007-02-19 4:25 AM

jonnie - 2007-02-15 9:15 AM
dutchdivah - 2007-02-16 4:55 PM yes, that assessment... it's still some time away for me now. And already giving me nightmares... I've heard so many horror stories!

Afraid that they will ask you to stay in Vshchkasana for 35 minutes?

well, given that my senior Iyengar teacher sometimes lets us stand in sirsasana for 25 minutes, that doesn't even seem that far-fetched
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)