YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

inversions and coughs
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

mscandia
Posted 2007-02-03 5:19 PM (#76271)
Subject: inversions and coughs

Is it bad to do sirsasana and sarvangasana twice in one day (morning and night)?

I am trying get over a cough I have had for a week and thought it might help. I cough less frecuently each day but I still have brief periods of deep coughing. I have only very mild congestion (clear flem) and only think I had a mild fever the first day 5 days ago. I know if you are really sick you should rest but I don't feel sick at all now and just have the cough.

I took classes for a number of years from good certified teachers and used to do these two poses for 6-8 minutes each regularlly when not sick but since my practice hasn't been regular I am only doing them for 4-5 minutes each.

I don't have the money to take classes again now and I can't remember the advice for colds.

I did a basic asana routine this morning for an hour and felt good after.

Should I just relax for the rest of the night or will some brief inversion poses help with drainage?

Thank you.

Edited by mscandia 2007-02-03 5:41 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2007-02-03 9:37 PM (#76289 - in reply to #76271)
Subject: RE: inversions and coughs

Expert Yogi

Typically you would only do one headstand and shoulderstand in a day. A class or workshop would be the exception. Lots of people do an asana practice in the am and inversion in the pm or vice versa. If you have alread done your inversions, I would suggest something like legs up the wall or a very supported halasana (legs resting on something), which might be nice. Twists are really useful for clearing congestion sometimes. Hope you are 100% soon!
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-02-05 10:42 PM (#76554 - in reply to #76289)

Expert Yogi

If you follow the later sequences in Light on Yoga, you find that they all start with the full Sirsasana cycle followed by the full Sarvangasana cycle. That's about 50-60 minutes of inversions before you even begin the day's specific practice. On the other hand, he leaves the standing asanas out of these sequences as well.

I'm told that BKS no longer recommends doing Sarvangasana before a practice of backbends, only after. So, things change...

.. bg

bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-02-06 8:41 AM (#76590 - in reply to #76271)

I think a nice supported savasana at night might be nice. Relax and get your chest opening. I'm a big fan of savasana.

Posted 2007-02-06 7:18 PM (#76664 - in reply to #76271)

If it's respiratory Sarvangasana would be okay.
The energetics of Sirsasana during your issue puts that asana in a different classification. You may of course do it but for what you have it may not benefit you.

Setu Bandha (on a block)
Supta Badha Konasana (bolster et al)
Bhujangasana on a bolster
Purvottasana
Adho Mukha head on a bolster
Supine pranayama (ujjayi/viloma I)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version