YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

pilates yet no weight loss
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

jaclyn35
Posted 2007-01-31 1:21 PM (#75886)
Subject: pilates yet no weight loss

Hi there!
I started doing Pilates (almost everyday) about 2 mths. ago. I just recently started basic yoga as well. I have reduced my caloric intake quite a bit, and always do 30 minutes of cardio everyday. I'm 20 lbs heavier than what I want to be and have been trying to lose weight since early November.
Just wondering why in God's name I haven't lost any weight yet?
I have gained some muscle tone and have lost a tad of fat...my clothes feel a little better, but that's all. I am taking effexor xr which is an anti-depressant. Could this be the cause of no real weight loss? ANY advice or help would be appreciated!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
throwtoy
Posted 2007-02-05 8:18 AM (#76444 - in reply to #75886)
Subject: RE: pilates yet no weight loss

you said that you redueced your caloric intake quite a bit...how much exactly? it's possible that you're not eating ENOUGH. Also are you doing tapes or taking classes with someone. you may not be doing certain exercises correctly and not working as hard as you could be.

anyway i dont think you should be worried about the weight give it more time. The fact that your clothes are feeling better is a GREAT SIGN. You may also want to a dd a little weight training into what you're doing. Your body may also be used to the 30 minutes of cardio you're doing everyday. change it up a little.

DOnt worry though, it WILL happen, dont lose faith. There'sa possiblity of the meds being part of the problem too, ask your doc if that might be a side effect. keep up the good work and it will happen. Dont try to rush it.

good luck and keep us up to date
jaclyn35
Posted 2007-02-05 10:11 AM (#76465 - in reply to #76444)

Thanks for replying!! I've wondered if maybe I'm not eating enough. I'm so afraid to eat any more though. I don't count calories really. I've been eating broiled and baked fish with rice and veggies for dinner. I could use a good fish recipe actually. Mine seems so tasteless! For lunch I usually eat something pretty light like a turkey wrap w/ lots of veggies and no mayo. Breakfast usually - 2 cups of coffee and a special k bar. If I snack I eat fruit or a few walnuts or a light cheese stick.
The 30 minutes of cardio I do is usually treadmill w/ light weights for my arms. I run and walk both. The Pilates I use is a 30 minute dvd. I've learned Yoga from magazines. I just stood on my head for the first time in 20 years last night!! I'm thinking about joining a Yoga class in the Spring. If I haven't lost at least 10 lbs by then I'll know something's not right. I'm 5'7" and weigh 155. My goal is 135. Hopefully it won't take forever. Thanx again for your thoughts and advice!
redrox
Posted 2007-02-06 5:37 PM (#76653 - in reply to #75886)

Good fish recipe:

Beat an egg with a little milk in a shallow bowl and spices of your choosing. (salt, pepper, dill, tarragon, cayenne, etc.)
Put some grated or shredded parmesan cheese in another shallow bowl or plate.
Dip the fish in the egg wash, then dredge/cover in parma cheese.
Let rest 5-10 minutes to set. (important step!)
Saute in olive oil in a pan 4-5 mins a side or until done at med. heat.

This works better with firmer fish like tilapia, tuna, mahi-mahi, halibut, etc. Does not work so well with fish that still has skin on one side like salmon for obvious reasons, although I guess you could just coat the non-skin side and still cook the same way or try removing the skin first, but that's usually more trouble than it's worth without a good sharp fillet knife.

Caloric intake/expenditure and weight loss is a tricky thing. I agree you may not be eating enough. The goal is not to simply reduce caloric level to as low a level as possible. The goal is really to create a 500-1000 caloric deficit per day between the calories you take in and the calories you expend. In a perfect steady state world which our bodies are most assuredly not, this would then allow you to create a weekly caloric deficit of 3500 to 7000 calories or the mythical 1 to 2 lbs per week that is considered "safe" weight loss. (It takes 3500 calories to either create a pound of fat (positive differential) or to burn a pound of fat (negative differential).) If we cut calories too far below that differential, then we start triggering the body's survival mechanisms, which then will act to start throttling back our metabolism and it will hold onto those calories and current fat stores for what it perceives as the impending "famine". So you want to eat enough to keep the body thinking it's going to get enough fuel to keep zinging along at a high level, but not so much it wants to start storing the excess fuel for later. One of my favorite sites for getting an ESTIMATE of these kinds of numbers is here: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm Be sure to read the stuff below the calculator section as well which explains this and other strategies for breaking through weight plateaus.

The other possibility is that with all the cardio, you have become very calorie efficient. Switch up routines and perhaps add some resistance work to change up the requirements on your body and take at least one rest day a week.

Eat a real breakfast with real food and ditch the special K bars (or any other bars/shakes/supplements etc.) It really is the most important meal of the day to get your metabolism running from its overnight fast. Whole grain cereals like Kashi Go Lean, Barbara's Grainshop and Uncle Sam's are some of my own favorites with fruit.

And penultimately (love that word!) at 5'7" and 155 you are within a normal BMI range. I'm not overly fond of the BMI benchmark, but the point is that you are already in a healthy weight range for your body. It won't take "forever" but it will go slowly. Practice self compassion and perhaps instead of fixing on a specific numeric goal, focus on your overall health, the fact that your clothes fit better and let your body tell you when it is at a good weight for you. If we stop to listen and be aware, it is often surprising what we hear and learn!

And yes, I believe some anti-depressant meds do tend to hinder weight loss as well. I would talk to your pharmacist and/or prescribing physician to see if that might be a contributing factor with that particular med.

Good luck!
jaclyn35
Posted 2007-02-07 2:32 PM (#76790 - in reply to #75886)

Thanks so much for the fish recipe! That sounds delicious! Also, thanks for all the good advice on weight loss. I've never been a cereal eater, but may try that route. I really never liked the special k bars that much anyway-- and I was usually starving by lunchtime.
I do realize I'm at a heatlhy weight, but don't feel I look how I would like to. I weighed 135 in my 20's and early 30's.....that's the weight I feel best at. I'm feeling kind of "thick" at 155.
I'm considering taking a lower dose of my medication and seeing if that helps too.
Thanks again!!
throwtoy
Posted 2007-02-09 8:40 AM (#77007 - in reply to #76790)

oh yeah you're not eating enough for breakfast at all. remember that your body is like a car and needs energy to work. i fyou dont eat enough your body will hold on to anything it can to run. I USUALLY eat 3 eggwhites, 1/2 cup of oatmeal and small apple or kiwi for breakfast. It takes me all the way to my small snack 3 hours later.

as mentioned before try changing up your cardio and i would also suggest doing more than 30 minutes for pilates. what tape are you using? i would still say if you can to take a class somewhere and make sure you're doing the movements correctly. If you dont find it challenging you're not challenging your body either and it needs more. Power Pilates is really nice with great explanations. www.powerpilates.com

try writing down what you're eating for awhile. you dont have to count calories all the time but you can see if you're cheating or where you might be able to change things up.

here's another fish recipe ->http://www.aboutseafood.com/recipes/recipe_detail_image~id~64.cfv

dont forget to talk to you doc and see about the meds and take your time with the weight loss. a few montsh isn't that long. Your body still may have changed just not on the scale. it'll happen.
jaclyn35
Posted 2007-02-09 9:32 AM (#77015 - in reply to #77007)

Well, I took the breakfast advice and bought Kashi Go Lean cereal. I tried it this morning with 1% milk. It was ok actually. It's been a couple hrs since I've eaten and I'm not the least bit hungry yet...so that's a good thing!
Also, I made tilapia with Redrox's fish recipe- minus the cheese! It was so delicous! I felt guilty because it tasted so good! Seriously delicious though! I'm so glad I came across this website.
I can not remember what my tape is called. I picked it up at Bed Bath and Beyond. It's set up in 3 ten minute parts. One for butt, one for core, one for thighs. I need a few new ones- listening to the same thing over and over is so boring! I also changed up my cardio. I did a Denise Austin burn fat fast workout dvd on Monday. My calfs were sore for 3 days!
I realize weight doesn't come off fast, but before I started taking meds it wasn't hard for me to lose lbs. when I really wanted to. I used to work at Jenny Craig as a program director and I was also a consultant...I used to give advice to women just like myself. I totally understand what they felt like now!
I lowered my dose of the effexor on my own this week. I was on 112 mg and now am taking 75 mg. I think I'm going to stop taking them all together actually. I'll discuss w/ my doc at my appt. in 2 weeks.
Thanks so much everyone!
redrox
Posted 2007-02-11 11:45 PM (#77229 - in reply to #75886)

Honestly it's a lot better with the cheese!

Go Lean is mostly whole grains, with a fair amount of protein and fiber. Both of those will help with feelings of satiety, as will consuming some good fats. The special K bars are highly processed and white rice is higher glycemically anyway so eating those will only serve to make you hungrier within a fairly short time period. Do some research on the glycemic index and glycemic load and you'll see why those two choices, while both grains, have such different results in terms of your hunger levels between breakfast and lunch.
joscmt
Posted 2007-02-13 11:33 AM (#77377 - in reply to #75886)

My favorite (and quick!) breakfast on the planet is 4oz yogurt (sugar-free), 4oz cottage cheese (I use fat-free), 1 small apple, 1/2oz toasted pecans, 1oz Kashi puffed grains (OR 1 1/2oz rye flakes cooked in 1/2c chocolate rice milk- this has no sugar as well- then I reduce my cottage cheese to 2oz). I mix it all up in a bowl and eat it up!!
What I found to be really helpful is a consultation with a nutritionist. With all the conflicting info out there, it's soo hard to figure out what's right for your body. My brother does well with a high protein diet, I don't... I got with a nutritionist almost 2 yrs ago and (with some serious lifestyle changes) have lost almost 70lbs. Might not seem like a lot for almost 2 years- but it came off the healthy way. But through working with her, I know exactly how much of what to eat and when. And I follow her "prescription" for me. I work off the American Diabetic Association's exchanges...
so, for example.. that breakfast I listed above is 2 proteins, 1 starch, 1 dairy, 1 fruit. But my food plan is designed for me and my lifestyle. I work in a restaurant, so my most active time of day is in the evening. So, my food plan is designed for that. It's great! I highly recommend it. Especially if you aren't sure why you aren't losing weight. You may not be eating enough.. you may not realize that there are some hidden calories out there.. etc.
Good luck! And hang in there... with honest exploration, you'll figure it out!
jaclyn35
Posted 2007-02-16 10:18 AM (#77815 - in reply to #75886)

Joscmt- Congrats on your weight loss! Very impressive!
I've thought about consulting a nutrionist. How do you go about that? How many visits does it require? Is it expensive?
Btw, that breakfast might taste good, but it sounds kind of gross!

Posted 2007-02-16 12:13 PM (#77833 - in reply to #75886)

Is it too late to weigh in on this topic, no pun intended?

jaclyn35
Posted 2007-02-16 2:50 PM (#77844 - in reply to #77833)

I welcome any advice! Please share!
joscmt
Posted 2007-02-16 11:57 PM (#77875 - in reply to #75886)

I found one through a friend. But if you look in a phone book, you'll probably find one. As for how many times you visit- that depends on the nutritionist. I have friends that went to a woman who only consults with you one time and then you only go back if you have issues. The woman I chose had me come 2x/month in the beginning and once a month thereafter. That way, if things come up, we address it. Now, for me, I talk to her about changes in patterns I notice- for example, recently I felt really full in the afternoon. I just felt like I was having too much food. So we ended up making my morning snack optional based on the time I wake up. She also monitors bloodwork- my numbers are really good, but she gets down into tweaking within the normal range. But she's very thorough- we talk about menstruation (hormonal changes after I miscarried), stools, everything! She's become a trusted guide through this process. Because the reality is that each of us is different, so it's a big help having a trained guide. I highly recommend it!
(and, my breakfast IS yummy )

Posted 2007-02-17 2:38 AM (#77884 - in reply to #75886)

Okay. First the library should have a copy of the Physicians Desk reference commonly referred to as the PDR. This will allow you to look up your meds and read their contras and side effects. Yes you could ask around but I think there's an additional value in being part of your process. Action feels good. Sometimes we just need a little action to get the wheels turning. It is difficult to steer a parked car.

Second, 20 # heavier than you want to be doesn't give us much. You might have a warped sense of your body image and be 5'4" and 130 pounds but wanting to be 110#. So there's no frame of reference other than your whim. It may be a valid one but you're keeping back some relevant information.

Three, you've got soem progress that you're making light of. Clothes feel better, muscle tone, lost a tad of fat (and how do you feel overall, generally speaking??). These things indicate you are being effective. Praise yourself. Or must we do that? Some of us are very good at that. I personally stink at it:-)

Relative to your eating habits it sounds from your brief glimpse in that you are eating a lot of protein. Skimping on breakfast is really unfair to your body as it's already gone 7-8 hours without food.
Dinner should be ighter meal and typically it should be finished both before 9pm and several hours before retiring for bed.

Coffee is one of me personal peeves so even though it's known to fire up the constitution is also leaches essential minerals from the body. Therefore you're messing with synergists that help facilitate smotth operation of your body. Plus coffee hammers the adrenals which in this society are already hammered.
Scientific research is less than conclusive. When we are tired the appropriate remedy is a Serta not a drip.

Food combinations are also important. I do not advise eating fruit after proteins or carbs. Please eat them first and alone. There are other combinations but it's a lengthy bit for an internet forum. I've taken to a morning protein shake. Two bananas, a cup of carob rice milk, and a protein powder makes a pretty tasty morning go-go juice. I also make an 8 graing wheat-free cereal from Bob's Red Mill. A squirt of agave or honey and it's similar to cream of wheat, minus the wheat.

Refined sugars and dairy products should be reduced (just for healthy eating).

As for expercise I am leaning more toward the rowing machine than the tread or eliptical. #0 minutes at least three times a week. Combine in with a 2-3 mile walk - an enjoyable one. It's very important to find the joy in hte things you chose. If you get more smiling on the treadmill than do that.

And then finally make a pact with yourself to pay attention to feelings when eating. This way you are devloping an awareness practice that will facilitate the best choices for you, which are ones where you are present.

We change what we can and enjoy the rest. May the changes and then let it go.
joscmt
Posted 2007-02-17 9:00 PM (#77979 - in reply to #77884)

purnayoga - 2007-02-17 2:38 AM
Food combinations are also important. I do not advise eating fruit after proteins or carbs. Please eat them first and alone. There are other combinations but it's a lengthy bit for an internet forum. I've taken to a morning protein shake. Two bananas, a cup of carob rice milk, and a protein powder makes a pretty tasty morning go-go juice. I also make an 8 graing wheat-free cereal from Bob's Red Mill. A squirt of agave or honey and it's similar to cream of wheat, minus the wheat.

Uh... some confusion.. don't sentences #1 and #2 contradict sentence #5?
jaclyn35
Posted 2007-02-19 9:31 AM (#78100 - in reply to #75886)

Thanks joscmt and Purnayoga-for your thoughts. To answer the question about my weight...I weigh about 155 and am 5'7". I indicated in a previous post that although this is a healthy weight, I just feel better around 135-140. Yet, for some unknown reason I'm still not losing. I've taken a lot of good advice lately and hope it will start to pay off soon. I do feel much better though.
I did a new yoga dvd this weekend. It was the first time I had done a bonafide yoga routine. it was a full hour. I wasn't really refreshed after. I was kind of exhausted. Maybe i pushed myself a little too hard. I had only done my own yoga from yoga journal magazine. That, and some poses I got off the internet. I was just doing poses basically, and hadn't actually done a full blown routine before. Anyway, I'm used to feeling full of energy after a workout instead of feeling tired and like I wanted to take a nap!
I did it friday and sat. and felt the same way both times. Every single inch of my body is a little sore too! That's okay though, I like feeling like I've done something!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)