YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mantra for lovemaking
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

Yashodha
Posted 2007-02-06 11:09 PM (#76679 - in reply to #76612)
Subject: RE: Mantra for lovemaking

Just to add something to this., Some time back there was a quite a big argument among thailand buddhist monks whether chanting ( Repetition of same mantra or some set of sentences) is important and benifitial or Its just a useless thing. I think its just like the argument about whether the God exist or not... I dont see its a valuable argument.. If you believe that chanting is good and you have faith its good.. If not .. it doesnt make any harm to you and simply ignore it...

How ever I have learnt that there are 5 things which needs to be completed in Mantra;

1. Should Chant the fully Mantra.. Not half
2. Understand the real meaning of each sentence, and Why
3.Pronounce the words correctly and in the right pitch. ( Some times they should be read ,slow, fast, loud, not loud)
4. The person who chant, his mind should be free from hate , sarrow , and jelously
5. Have total faith on chanting and that mantra.

Some of my friends say these are black magic things and not the real buddhism.. Just some stuff practiced by Brahmin those days..

I dont know how far these are true or false.. I think its all depend on your belief..

Edited by Yashodha 2007-02-06 11:14 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-02-07 2:10 AM (#76692 - in reply to #75566)

Wow! Difficult to reply all that in detail from India, but let me do whatever I can.

ZB: OK. I understand what you mean by Self Knowledge. However, please note that that is not the knowledge of the Self. Knowledge of the Self comes when all other knowledge is surpassed.

tajjassa.nskaaaro anysa.nskaarapratiba.ndhii... Patanjali, chapter 1, last sutra.

BG: If a mantra is given to improve sex in a neutral way for a person who is having lack of that ability, and above all it is given to that person who is going to perform the Sex in an Ethical (Dharma) way as I mentioned earlier, (not like a girl friend boy friend sex) , then that mantra shall have meaning. Otherwise, it shall lead away from Yoga, that is into Viyoga. And, to give such a think in Yoga magazine will mean it is a Viyoga Magazine!

All others: Actually, Sex is such a big passion in human beings, that there is NO need of any mantras. One may need mantras to subside that passion. And, that is why Brahmacharya is mentioned in Patanjali and not improvement of Sex. But, anyway, what I meant was improvement of sex, asanas, etc are all in the realm of material improvements, eventhough good in many ways. Ultimately, all these must be transceneded to get the knowledge of the Self. And, to stress on such topics as Sex leads an ordinary yoga student into a dark valley of enjoyment rather than that of enlightenment!

Posted 2007-02-07 10:52 AM (#76745 - in reply to #75566)

are not all knowledges aspect of the total Knowledge (Gnosis)? one cannot have knowledge without Gnowledge, nor Gnoledge without knowledge. from my perspective, which is integrative, all knowledge is a revealing aspect of the whole.

but, i recognize that knowledge isn't necessarily intellect--a la zen koan functionality.
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-02-07 9:39 PM (#76837 - in reply to #76692)

Expert Yogi

kulkarnn - 2007-02-07 2:10 AM BG: If a mantra is given to improve sex in a neutral way for a person who is having lack of that ability, and above all it is given to that person who is going to perform the Sex in an Ethical (Dharma) way as I mentioned earlier, (not like a girl friend boy friend sex) , then that mantra shall have meaning. Otherwise, it shall lead away from Yoga, that is into Viyoga. And, to give such a think in Yoga magazine will mean it is a Viyoga Magazine!

Thanks, Neel.  I should probably quit that magazine -- I rarely find much to read in it.  There's a piece on Desakachar that I want to look at in the newest issue.  There's also a piece on "why men don't do yoga" but I can't accept the premise!

.. bg

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-02-08 8:58 AM (#76887 - in reply to #76745)

zoebird - 2007-02-07 10:52 AM

are not all knowledges aspect of the total Knowledge (Gnosis)? one cannot have knowledge without Gnowledge, nor Gnoledge without knowledge. from my perspective, which is integrative, all knowledge is a revealing aspect of the whole.

but, i recognize that knowledge isn't necessarily intellect--a la zen koan functionality.

No darling ZB. All knowledge is not aspect of total knowledge. There are two knowledge in general, one is that of the material universe called drushyam (prakaashakriyaasthitishiilaM bhuutendriyaatmakaM drushyaM... Patanjali.. Ch2). The other is that of drashtru (soul). All ignorant persons have both of these in mixed (drashtrudrushyoH sa.nyoga heyahetuH... patanjali Ch2).

When chittavrutti is present, one gets knowledge of drushyam.... and the sould knowledge is lost... vruttisaaruppyamitaratra.. ch 1, sutra 4.

When chittavrutii nirodha .. (ch1, s2) takes place, the knowledge of soul takes place. tadaa drashtussvaruupevasthaanaM.. (ch1, s3).

The real knowledge in Yoga is that of soul. All other is called non-knowledge or psuedo knowledge, called as avidya.. the first kleshaa, which is the mother of all other kleshas.

Peace
neel
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-02-08 9:01 AM (#76889 - in reply to #76837)

Bay Guy - 2007-02-07 9:39 PM

kulkarnn - 2007-02-07 2:10 AM BG: If a mantra is given to improve sex in a neutral way for a person who is having lack of that ability, and above all it is given to that person who is going to perform the Sex in an Ethical (Dharma) way as I mentioned earlier, (not like a girl friend boy friend sex) , then that mantra shall have meaning. Otherwise, it shall lead away from Yoga, that is into Viyoga. And, to give such a think in Yoga magazine will mean it is a Viyoga Magazine!

Thanks, Neel.  I should probably quit that magazine -- I rarely find much to read in it.  There's a piece on Desakachar that I want to look at in the newest issue.  There's also a piece on "why men don't do yoga" but I can't accept the premise!

.. bg

dear brother bg: never mind. in today's world, also called kaliyuga, the financial aspect of life dominates all others. and, therefore, a yoga instructor has a constant challege to keep the real yoga spirit while making enough income. magazines often follow the financial aspect over the real yoga spirit. I am sure the article on Desikachaara will be highly edited to keep him only at a predetermined level of importance.

Posted 2007-02-08 11:37 AM (#76917 - in reply to #75566)

neel:

i believe in 'soul knowledge' and i believe in 'personal fictions' and i believe in 'overcoming' personal fictions, which reveals the soul, or spirit, or God within, or however one wants to label it.

but fictions are not knowledge. thus, All knowledge is soul knowledge. also gnosis.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-02-09 1:01 AM (#76975 - in reply to #76917)

zoebird - 2007-02-08 11:37 AM

neel:

i believe in 'soul knowledge' and i believe in 'personal fictions' and i believe in 'overcoming' personal fictions, which reveals the soul, or spirit, or God within, or however one wants to label it.

but fictions are not knowledge. thus, All knowledge is soul knowledge. also gnosis.

OK Buddy!
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-02-12 9:39 PM (#77310 - in reply to #76889)

Expert Yogi

Dear Brother Neel,

Have you had the opportunity to meet Desikachaara? I know him only through his book.

.. bg

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-02-13 12:18 AM (#77323 - in reply to #77310)

Bay Guy - 2007-02-12 9:39 PM

Dear Brother Neel,

Have you had the opportunity to meet Desikachaara? I know him only through his book.

.. bg

dear BG: i never met him, but some of my regular students have met him. i am sure he is a fine man. and, that family, a lucky one!
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-02-18 10:30 PM (#78052 - in reply to #77323)

Expert Yogi

Well, I hope to have the chance to interact with Desikachaara while he is still with us.  It may be two years before I can get to Chennai again, but perhaps he will travel in the interim.  His book was a great inspiration to me.

.. bg

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-02-19 5:34 PM (#78174 - in reply to #75566)

let me know when you decide to go. i might join you.
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-02-22 10:21 PM (#78471 - in reply to #78174)

Expert Yogi

Dear Brother Neel --

I shall do so.

... bg

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread