YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Overstimulate the Immune?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

JoeNJ
Posted 2007-01-19 12:13 PM (#74633)
Subject: Overstimulate the Immune?

With all the natural products out there for natural immunity,is it also possible to 'overstimulate' the immune system thereby leaving one feeling low also?
I'm not particularly sick,but lately I've been drinking this pomegranate tea and sometimes colostrum products,all of which are supposed to help the immune system and I've noticed some possible symptoms associated with low immunity.
And if I am not sick,am I doing too much?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2007-01-19 6:55 PM (#74711 - in reply to #74633)
Subject: RE: Overstimulate the Immune?

Expert Yogi

Maybe. I recently read that they have discovered that many of the people who died in the 1918 flu pandemic were young and healthy, with strong immune systems and that was the cause of their deaths. Ack - bad wriitng - they knew before who the people were, they just discovered that being too healthy was a contributing factor because of how the virus behaved. Also, I think a lot of peopel feel that taking too much stuff to stimulate your immune system will leave you vulnerable when you quit taking it. So best to do it in little bursts as needed.
*Fifi*
Posted 2007-01-21 3:36 PM (#74865 - in reply to #74633)
Subject: RE: Overstimulate the Immune?

This is an interesting question and we really need the expertise of an epidemiologist or immunologist - or someone who has extensively worked HIV + patients. I'm no expert. I am an acupuncturist - that's all.

I wonder, scientifically/biologically, how an intact immune system could be a causative factor in regards to mortality during the flu pandemic? I think a really virulent influenza virus could do even the healthiest person in. (As an aside - I never felt worse than when I had the flu about 5 years ago. Friggin' miserable).

The immune system is super complex and pliable. It has an amazing memory. I know within the HIV+ community in SF, people would manipulate their viral load (the amount of HIV virus that shows up on a lab test) and their immune system (in the form of killer-T cells that shows up on a lab test) by drinking, smoking pot, partying and staying up late/not getting enough sleep. That combination is a receipe for lower T-cells and, inversely, a higher viral load. When is viral load and the t-cells get to a certain ratio, the person officially has an AIDS diagnosis and can receive disability. Pretty good scam, huh?

Then, smart people would lay off the partying and not run themselves into the ground and their health would recover back to HIV, not technically AIDS. Of course, once you get an AIDS diagnosis, it sticks with you can you keep receiving state aid because who's going to make you retake an AIDs test a month later?

An overstimulated immune system is referred to as an auto-immune disease, like Lupus or MS. Allergies are a small scale example of this. I can't see how we can overstimulate our immune system with supplements but I think we can with excess beer and pizza and inadequate sleep. However, I could be wrong about the supplement part.

I always take vitamins, herbs and supplements but I don't freak out if I forget a day or two. I figure it's my subconscious making sure I don't overdo it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)