YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trouble sleeping
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Women's HealthMessage format

Sunnybird
Posted 2007-01-11 8:10 PM (#73775)
Subject: Trouble sleeping

I've had trouble sleeping for as long as I can remember - a real insomniac! I've tried everything, medications (both western and herbal), staying active, exercising until I make sure I'll be tired for the evening, calming yoga postures etc etc. I recently tried acupuncture in conjunction with herbal medication and whilst this really helped me whilst I was going through the treatment, I've had to back off due to the sheer expense of it and I wanted to see if my body had built up the right resources to enable me to keep having a good nights sleep. But for the past couple of weeks, I seem to have gone right back to square one again and right back to being the insomniac that I fear I always will be. Because I can't sleep, I always get hungry late into the night and so have to get up to eat and I end up eating myself to sleep. Its getting me down to say the least and really affecting me both physically and mentally. I feel tired all the time and feel low, moody, anxious and depressed. Am at a lost about what to do....... and need to stop eating to help me sleep, any advice would be much appreciated,

Thanks,
SB
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-01-11 10:14 PM (#73783 - in reply to #73775)
Subject: RE: Trouble sleeping

i would go back to the treatment that works and realize that the money spent there is more valuable than spent elsewhere.

for example, my husband and I pay as much for food as we do for housing. this is because we know that food is medicine. good food now builds health that will help us in the future, help us to avoid medical costs due to unhealthy foods. so, it's a good investment (and it tastes good).

the same is true of sleep. we need it for our health and sleeping prevents health problems that will cost more (money wise) in the future. so, i'd just spend the money on it (and find another place to cut back on expenses and/or look for a raise in my job) knowing that it was best for my health.

while doing it, talk to the provider about how to solve it permenantly via treatments or whatever.

good luck!
Cyndi
Posted 2007-01-11 10:42 PM (#73785 - in reply to #73783)

Expert Yogi

I think that is a great idea ZB. That is what you payed all that money for. I spend on the average about $1,200 annually for my TCMD visits. My daughter shares my hour with me on most visits. On the other hand, many many years ago, I had an insurance plan for Western Medicine, that I paid $600 a month for. It included me, my hushand and 2 children. I hardly ever used it. After my first few visits with my TCMD, I said, forget this crap, I'm cancelling the insurance. I vowed never again to support the Insurance companies of America and decided to take my health care into my own hands. I have saved soo much money, I don't get sick like I used to, I eat better, I have so much more energy and basically, my life has sooo much quality. It took time to get to this point, but I promise you, it got better and better. Today, I can go longer periods without a doctor's visit and acupuncture, which is good, cause sometimes I'm really broke when business is slow. Hell, during that time, $15 for yoga class can be very tricky...although, I have a quarter collection reserve just in case for that.

Back to the topic....If your body is out of balance and you found a way to balance it and it worked, I don't think you're going to find a cure. Sounds like you need to work on this aspect a little bit harder. There is no quick fix when it comes to healthcare. There are relief of symptoms, and there is surgery. But, when getting to the root of the problem, it takes time, patience, $$, and mostly it requires the patient to do a little bit of work also. That work requires you to look at and possibly alter your lifestyle, environment and dietary habits. The doctor and the acupuncture can only balance you...you have to maintain it. Which is a tricky part of healing the human body due to all the habits we've established for ourselves...mostly, not healthy ones either.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-01-12 7:40 AM (#73812 - in reply to #73775)

Hi Sunnybird, I had no advise for a while, but I've been thinking. Not sure if that's considered a good thing, but it happens once in a while, .

I was thinking while you went for treatment you could also create a bedtime ritual. While you are able to sleep from treatment, you make your ritual a habit. Once it is a habit, you tell yourself that it's this bedtime ritual that is putting you in the state of mind where you relax and get sleep. Once you have belief in your bedtime ritual and are sleeping well, then you start relaxing on treatment. Just an idea, wishing you well, Shelly
ystan
Posted 2007-01-12 9:52 AM (#73831 - in reply to #73775)

SunnyBird, may I suggest explore Yoga Nidra (deep-sleep) meditation? The practitioner is suppose to be wide awake during the meditation, however, most people especially those who claimed they are deprived of sleep, doze off almost immediately after the meditation starts. And if one can keep awake and is fully aware, an hour of YN meditation is equivalent 3-4 hours of sound sleep. So whichever way it goes, one will benefit. I suggest read a YN book before attempting the meditation; you can buy YN meditation CD (Amazon has readers feedback on various YN CD titles). I attended YN class offered at a local Yoga studio, and I find using a CD is equally good, except there is no teacher to answer my questions. I wrote to an YN author with questions, and to my surprise, he responded immediately! But I am not sure if I have more and frequent questions, will he be as attentive. JNamaste

you may want to checkout this link for information which I find helpful:

http://www.swamij.com/yoga-nidra.htm#recedes 

Edited by ystan 2007-01-12 10:13 AM

Sunnybird
Posted 2007-01-23 9:50 PM (#75068 - in reply to #73775)

Thank you everyone for all your words of wisdom and advice. You are right, if I found something that helps, then why stop? Thats logical. I guess $ would have to be the biggest factor but ZB's suggestions about cutting back where I can and using that to supplement my treatments is a good idea. I am going to have to look at going back I think. I know that this is something that I can't 'cure' as such, as I've suffered this most of my life, but as I've already experienced, there are ways and things I can do to alleviate the problem. I guess another concern for me is that my body will become dependent on the herbal medication. I don't like the idea of becoming dependent on any kind of medicince, be it herbal or western drugs. I wish I was one of those people who slept as soon as their heads touched the pillow!! And I know those people exist because one of them is a very dear friend of mine!!!!!!!!

sunnybird

Posted 2007-01-24 1:11 AM (#75094 - in reply to #73775)

I'm not sure if a reply to this is still timely.

Here's the text of what I would do with a student who's nervous system is disrupted which is frequently the case with insomnia or anxiety.

If this were my student and he/she had anxiety (not depression):
Asana: Sarvangasana, Viparita Karani, Supta Baddha Konasana, supprted Janu Sirsasana, supported Balasana.
Breathwork: simple two-part breathing. The exhalation twice the duration of the inhalation. Do 108 breath cycles. So inhale for 4 exhale for 8, as an example. Keep the ration 2:1. Also the student can do Brahmari.
Nutrition: avoid caffeine after 10am. As our students and teachers use the Sunrider nutritional program there are three things to take just before bed; NuPlus, Sunnectar and Ese.
Body: Epson salt baths, oil massage of the body, and cranio-sacral treatments.

And it would be advisable at this time to have bite to eat before bed. I'm thinking a small handful of organic almonds maybe six of them. Not too much more than that.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-01-24 9:58 AM (#75107 - in reply to #75068)

Expert Yogi

Sunnybird, There is a big difference with Western medicine and Oriental herbs.  For one thing, an oriental doctor is not going to allow you to get addicted to herbal formulas.  That is not how this medicine works.  When your're taking oriental herbs, you are treating the internal organs by way of healing, rejuvinating, to restore balance, etc.  You are not, as in Western Medicine, taking them to mask your symptoms, and cover up. There is a big difference.  The reason anyone gets addicted to medicine, is because, its really not an addiction, per se, it's because it never worked in the first place, and therefore, they keep trying and forcing their medicine to work, because the package and/or the doctor says so, when in fact, it really doesn't.  Sometimes it may seem at first that it is, because that is what Western medicine does, but it will not get to the "root cause" of any disease, disorder or inbalance.  That's not the way it was designed. 

Your comments about not being able to 'cure' because you suffered your entire life??  That is self-defeating statement right there.  If you really feel that strong about your health, then of course, you will never heal your body. Yes, you can heal your body and Yes, oriental medicine can work....but, as my old favorite saying goes..."Everything works if you let it"...same principal applies when you are healing the human body system.

As for the sleep issue....I think people who can't fall asleep are too busy 'thinking' and/or doing excessive 'worrying'.  This is a very broad statement.  For instance, when I'm in the city and trying to go to sleep, its not easy with all the noise around.  I feel like I don't get enough REM's, which is really important for the body to restore itself, or restore Chi/Prana.  This alone can do wonders for your health, because 'lack of rest' is the main culprit for many disorders in the human body.  I think meditation to calm the mind and a stable pranayama practice would be very beneficial, along with the whatever worked for you in the past.  Even an Oriental doctor would tell you these things...because, meditation and yoga is your work to do in order to maintain whatever your doctor does.  You have to find your niche and keep it going.  It's not going to happen overnite and it's certainly not something that you can do for a couple of weeks, months, etc, then stop...you have to change your lifestyle and be consistent for the rest of your life, cause that is how this works.

lostatlast
Posted 2007-04-24 2:44 PM (#84091 - in reply to #73775)

There is a new kind of acupuncture practice that is gaining popularity. It is called a community acupuncture clinic. The treatments are done in a 'community' room where the acupuncturist will see several patients at once.

The reason that I suggest it is that the prices are much lower than a regular acupuncture clinic. Also, ask your practitioner if there is anything that you can do at home. Some practitioners will prescribe a home e-stim machine that you can use on specific points for sleep.
yogogo
Posted 2007-10-05 2:25 PM (#97472 - in reply to #73775)

I have trouble going to bed as well, but I find hobbies or activities to do. I am a Art Major, so I am usually up late nights doing homework. Also, try excercising at night as well. You can find more constructive activities to do besides eating.
kieranee
Posted 2009-08-27 5:49 AM (#117955 - in reply to #73775)
Subject: Re: Trouble sleeping

I'm glad that I'm not insomniac.

@purnayoga - Thanks for sharing the poses that will help with insomnia, I'll inform my friend about it. Hope it will help her insomnia.
Jennyom
Posted 2010-02-08 9:30 PM (#121356 - in reply to #73775)

Hi Sunny bird & everyone else! I used to always have trouble sleeping too, but since I've been doing yoga my hormones seem to have calmed down and I can sleep well now.
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2010-02-09 4:28 PM (#121387 - in reply to #121356)

Extreme Veteran

This is what Yoga practice can provide us...
Thanks for sharing Jennyyom

Namaste
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)