YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

line I heard tonight
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

Kym
Posted 2007-01-08 10:46 PM (#73333)
Subject: line I heard tonight

"As long as there has been one true God, there has been killing in his name."

That made my mind snap right back to this board. I wondered if there have been any religous wars or killing in India over their gods? They have never tried to push one God. Whereas we can all think of many other religions who think that theirs is the only god and that kill and have killed through time. Same would be true of Greeks who had multiple gods and I suppose pagans who didn't worship one god, etc, did they have religous wars? So, one God and there is fighting vs multiple gods and it's all Good?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GreenJello
Posted 2007-01-08 11:45 PM (#73338 - in reply to #73333)
Subject: RE: line I heard tonight

I think religion is an excuse for these people. If it wasn't religion it would be something else equally important. Maybe their favorite sports team? We certainly have had enough riots....

Edited by GreenJello 2007-01-08 11:46 PM
*Fifi*
Posted 2007-01-09 1:24 PM (#73412 - in reply to #73333)

Uh, yeah, there's been constant warfare in India over religion. I was in India in 1990 and we were not allowed to go to Kashmir due to the fighting. Kashmir is still a hot zone. Don't forget, the Pakistanis (Muslims) and Indians (Hindus) are enemies and I'm sure India will take up arms to protect themselves against the Pakistanis, should the gauntlet be thrown.

Does anyone remember the Bamiyam Buddahs the Muslims blew up in Afganistan a few years ago?

Posted 2007-01-09 1:36 PM (#73415 - in reply to #73333)

here's the wikipedia link for india's history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_India

it includes the whole subcontinent, btw, not just the modern nation of india. lots of interesting stuff there.

and yes, fifi, i do remember the loss of those buddha scupltures. i recently saw a documentary (ok, sometime in 2006 i saw it) about 1. afghan nationals who struggled to save afghan arts and cultures by walling off special rooms, painting over paintings that would have been destroyed (but could later be easily cleaned of the over-painted parts), and related, and 2. an afghan professor (now living in the UK i believe) who ran an archeological expidition in that same valley, as there is some evidence that the largest reclining buddha statue in the world is in that place. on the last day, they found soemthing that could have been a part of this reclining buddha statue, burried in that same valley, but buried what they found so that it would not be harmed, with the hopes to return later to uncover what was there, what they found that last day.

i haven't heard/read whether or not he's been able to get funding to go back, but it was his hope that the recovery of this buddha would return some of the art and cultural history back to the afghan people. interesting documentaries.

not having cable is great because pretty much all i watch is PBS. so i see lots of great documentaries.
ellen
Posted 2007-01-09 2:55 PM (#73431 - in reply to #73333)

I saw that documentary too : )

I was beginning to wonder if maybe Buddhism is one religion no one has fought a war over, mostly because I hadn't heard of any wars started over it. Then an email from my son (my family is away in Vietnam right now) reminded me that even when it isn't a war, religion is used in lots of ways. Here's his post, talking about his experience in Da Lat, where there are famous Buddhist temples:

When we went to the buddhist temple the man who worked there told us the beggers at the top didnt actually worship they were just there to get money. When we saw them I felt really bad not giving them any money, I however did give money to the people who took care of the temple. Now I thought about this on the long taxi ride back, as a read the pamphlet of the beginning stages of buddhism. At first I felt I was doing the right thing by not giving them money because they exploit people by preying on them when they feel peacful and religious, however I understand why the must do this, everyone needs to eat. Then I thought about how I gave money to the people that ran the temple (they were not monks). This man who told us not to give them any money could have simply been trying to get more money himself, and how was he actually different from these people; he collects money from the temple at the end of the day. What im saying is how can I tell if his beliefs are true? And who is he to really say how much those people believe and what the worship.

Posted 2007-01-09 3:36 PM (#73438 - in reply to #73333)

thanks for sharing that ellen. i find it so true.

my husband and i give money to whomever we can, whenever we can. even if it's just a little bit.

there are times when i give, times when i don't give. it's all based on intuition. if i feel 'my spirit/the spirit' is leading me to give, then i will, regardless of whether or not it's a 'scam' if one considered it more deeply. i just let it be. obviously, i needed to release that money (energy) to someone else, and perhaps it would do them good. you know?

this makes my MIL crazy. she only gives to "good charities" and freaked out when i gave a woman, begging at the mall, five dollars and an unopened bottle of water.
Kym
Posted 2007-01-09 6:36 PM (#73455 - in reply to #73333)

Oohhhh, guess I was way off! Thanks for the info!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)