YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pilates as a replacement?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

tfaeriewings
Posted 2007-01-08 6:16 PM (#73317)
Subject: Pilates as a replacement?

I just recently began taking a once a week pilates class and also using a teacher-reccommended video twice a week. Up until June of this past year I took 2 acrobatics classes, 3 ballet classes, a jazz class and an aerobics class a week. About 2 years ago, I tore a tendon in my hip and was told told that I would need to do yoga to regain my flexability. I had gained a large amount of it back from dance, but after finishing to go away to college I felt like I was losing the fllexability I had gained back. I chose Pilates over yoga because I thought it might tone my body as well as increase my flexability. Is Pilates a good replacement for a yoga class or should I consider adding a yoga class into my schedule as well? I would like to keep in shape from dance but I would also like to build some flexability up again. What is everyone's advice?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jonnie
Posted 2007-01-09 8:32 AM (#73368 - in reply to #73317)
Subject: RE: Pilates as a replacement?

Hi,

It really depend's what you wish to achieve from your Yoga practise.

If it's only gaining/maintaining flexible strength, then in my opinion Pilates will give you the same results as Yoga. If you want a practise that works with your emotional and spiritual body as well as your physical body, then stick to Yoga.

Jonathon
MrD
Posted 2007-01-09 8:01 PM (#73461 - in reply to #73317)

I see Pilates and yoga as complimentary practices. My Pilates exercises helped make my yoga exercises better. I would still take a yoga class at least once a week. Pilates is great for the core, but doesn't have the overall endurance, overall flexibility, strength and relaxation that yoga has.

Edited by MrD 2007-01-09 8:02 PM
TheMasterG
Posted 2007-01-10 6:13 AM (#73511 - in reply to #73317)

tfaeriewings - 2007-01-09 11:16 PM

... I chose Pilates over yoga because I thought it might tone my body as well as increase my flexability. ...

Just so you know, there is no such thing as "toning", it doesn't exist. What you can do is increase muscle and reduce bodyfat which shows more more muscle definition thus creating the illusion of so called "toning". Bit off topic but hope this provides some useful information
ellen
Posted 2007-01-11 3:52 AM (#73654 - in reply to #73511)

TheMasterG - 2007-01-10 3:13 AM

Just so you know, there is no such thing as "toning", it doesn't exist. What you can do is increase muscle and reduce bodyfat which shows more more muscle definition thus creating the illusion of so called "toning". Bit off topic but hope this provides some useful information

To me the word toning carries the connotation of firming, and having less fat to wiggle brings the word firmer to mind, at least from the skin/ outside point of view. my 20 cents worth of expereience : )
TheMasterG
Posted 2007-01-11 6:32 AM (#73664 - in reply to #73654)

ellen - 2007-01-11 8:52 AM
To me the word toning carries the connotation of firming, and having less fat to wiggle brings the word firmer to mind, at least from the skin/ outside point of view. my 20 cents worth of expereience : )

Yes, but like you said, you're not making the muscle "firmer" either, just reducing fat. It's a small difference but an important one that I keep seeing used in marketing and even on the back of Yoga DVDs etc...

(Sorry bout the off-topic, finished now!)
tourist
Posted 2007-01-11 10:21 AM (#73690 - in reply to #73664)

Expert Yogi

I get a bit cranky about the "no such thing as" statements as well. When people say "toning" they mean "make me look better" and it really does not matter what word you use. People hate being told they don't know what they are talking about. (Even if they don't!) A very nice compliment I once got - and passed over to a teacher of my own - was that I didn't make people feel stupid even when they were. I try to continue to live up to that.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)