YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

shoulder problem
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Anusara YogaMessage format

shineout
Posted 2007-01-07 11:37 AM (#73156)
Subject: shoulder problem

Hi

I am having a problem with external abductor rotation in my left shoulder. I think it is a rotator cuff issue. For example I cannot completely straighten my left arm in a full backbend. I have been working on gentle stretches and light weights to increase my range of motion.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to work on increasing range of motion? I have tried massage which can increase range of motion temporarily. I have also tried a little acupuncture which helped a little.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick
Posted 2007-01-07 3:13 PM (#73180 - in reply to #73156)
Subject: RE: shoulder problem

Hi Gayle,
I'm having trouble visualizing what external abduction rotation is But you may not be able to straighten the arm due to a number of tight muscles e.g. lats, triceps, deltoids, or a number of weak ones e.g. pecs, traps, biceps. Some of these muscles inset near the insertions of the rotator cuff muscles, and it may be that a dysfunctional rotator cuff does lead to dysfunction in the other muscles of the shoulder.
Will get back to you if I have nay more thoughts
Take care
Nick
shineout
Posted 2007-01-07 3:58 PM (#73183 - in reply to #73180)

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the reply.

The range of motion problem can be visualized by picturing lying on your back with your left arm out to the side at a right angle with your upper arm on the floor and your forearm perpendicular to the floor. Then trying to lower the back of your left hand to the floor keeping the right angle. So you are pivoting your forearm on your elbow to get range of motion and have the entire arm on the floor with your upper arm perpendicular to your body and your forearm parallel to your body.

I cannot get my the back of my hand flat to the floor.

If you have any ideas please let me know.

Posted 2007-01-07 6:44 PM (#73200 - in reply to #73156)

Can't wait for his reply:-)
Nick
Posted 2007-01-08 3:53 AM (#73232 - in reply to #73200)

Hi Gordon,
I just woke up and my mouth dropped open trying to figure that out, a couple of moments later, the oxygen reached my brain, so I think I've got it
So it's not abduction that's the problem, but external rotation at the shoulder joint.
The muscles that would impede external rotation are the internal rotators:
Subscapularis
Teres major
Latissimus
Pectoralis major
Deltoid (anterior fibres)

The external rotators are:
Teres minor
Infraspinatus
Deltoid (posterior fibres)

So as you can see, the rotator cuff muscles serve both internal rotation (subscapularis) and external rotation, (teres minor and infraspinatus). Obviously dysfunctions in either internal or external rotation will interfere with your ability ot lower your hand to the floor-you may not possess either the strength (in the external rotators), or the flexibility (in the internal rotators) to get your hand to the floor.
At this point in time, I would recommend a good chiro/osteo who can actually pin-point muscle and joint dysfunction.-I cannot do it without you being here right now.
What I would say is that the exercise you used to demonstrate that you have reduced ability in the left shoulder bears little relation to the 'full backbend.' I'm presuming by full backbend you mean postures like urdvha dhanurasana, or postures where you grab your feet overhead.
To illustrate, urdvha dhanurasana actually requires internal rotation at the shoulder, otherwise your hands would turn out. At the very most, there is no rotation-but I don't expect this ever happens in life, and I'm sure that it actually shouldn't happen.
This sort of stuff is very manageable, but you may need a bodyworker to pinpoint bad posture-for example,if the left shoulder is dominant, or the shoulder blade is protracted, the ability of the shoulder to externally rotate is compromised, as is the ability to lift the arm above your head in urdvha dhanurasana.
A good exercise to gain the ability to perform urdvha dhanurasana is the good old bird-dog position. Adopt the FKC (four point kneeling) position, on your hands and knees, spine and hips in neutral-you can put a foam roll along the length of your spine to make sure your keep the neutral position, with the middle of your lumbar spine about 1-1.5 cms away from the foam roll.
Then you lift your left arm and right leg-stretch your hand out in front and your foot straight behind. Light dumbells and ankle weights increase the difficulty. You must learn to keep the shoulder blades retracted.
Do about 3-4 sets of 10 on each side-you will probably find that you do not have the control, strength, or endurance in your left shoulder that you do in your right shoulder.
The bird-dog will increase the strength in the muscles that lift your arm up, will inhibit the muscles that stop you lifting your arm up, and will train the back and hip extensors, which will both make urdvha dhanursasana both easier and the performance will improve-if you do the exercise properly. It's very easy to mess this exercise up.
Take care, hope that helps
Nick

Edited by Nick 2007-01-08 3:54 AM

Posted 2007-01-08 2:01 PM (#73286 - in reply to #73156)

Now that Nick has done what Nick does best, I'll sit on the other shoulder:-)

I have several thoughts. How are you determining you have a "problem"? Is it Urdhva Dhanurasana or is it a supine position with goalpost arms? If it's the first it may not be related to the second. If it's the second then it is possible that you've got some scar tissue restricting mobility in the less mobile shoulder.

I've tried that position you mention (which I am now calling goal posts). Both of hands come to the floor and yet I've got some extension issues in the brachial plexus in Urdhva as well. I've been thinking, what precursory things are there for this. Sure I can come up with some shoulder opening things, and I do those. But I'm told coming in to Urdhva several times a day for several weeks is also beneficial.

However, if you're having pain in the joint, as I do (rotator cuff damage in 1994) then care is to be used.

Though we do have a certain limitation to our range of motion (which keeps us from injury) it is possible to gain some mobility. Assuming of course you are not already gumbie.

Garudasana in Virasana and Gomukhasana in the same pose both can help with the shoulder joint and it's mobility. Also some of the preps for Sarvangasana wold help but they are pretty complex for sharing over forum text. Better when taught.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)