YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Adult tonsillectomy? Thoughts?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything Else -> Generally OTMessage format

joscmt
Posted 2007-01-08 2:03 PM (#73289 - in reply to #72723)
Subject: RE: Adult tonsillectomy? Thoug

Thanks, I'm sure I'll get there.. my body has been through a lot these last couple of years- between getting into recovery for the binge eating, to losing 70lbs, to pregnancy, to miscarriage.... the balance thing will get there... I just have to continue loving on myself and treating it well..
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-01-09 10:48 AM (#73381 - in reply to #72723)

i read in one of tyhe books that i recieved from susun weed about throat care in general using herbalism, etc. . .though i don't know how accurate it is to the tonsil issue. perhaps marginally.

anyway, here's the book: Nature's Children (though the author has many books, and this is the link to her 'collection'--http://www.ashtreepublishing.com/bookshop/proddetail.php?prod=213&cat=4
momdoc111
Posted 2008-06-09 4:15 PM (#108257 - in reply to #72723)
Subject: RE: Adult tonsillectomy? Thoughts?

I am 56 and also need my tonsils out. I am not looking forward to this but I guess I need to do it because of my sleep apnea. I did find a sight with several people all adults, who have just had the surgery and you can view what they have said. the sight is called steadyhealth.

I do believe if there was some magical herbal or natural healing process for bad tonsils in adults, the doc's would say so.
I would get at least 2 opinions and listen to what both doc's have to say.
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-06-09 5:22 PM (#108262 - in reply to #108257)

Dear MomDoc: Tosils is a vital part of human body. Removing it is a loss to the human body, even if it may be small loss. However, if you truely believe the reason for your sleep problems is definitely the tonsils problems, you should take them out so that the MOST important factor of human health, that is SLEEP is given the highest priority.

Tosils behavior generally is a reaction to the life style and environment, that includes diet, etc. etc. If you are an extremely disciplined person, you may be able to overcome your problem without doing any surgery. If you are NOT very disciplined person, then I advise you to remove the tonsils.

Removing tonsils is not a major surgery whether you are child or adult.

There is NO herbal remedy or magical formulae for tonsils or any other problems. Going in that direction will be the WORST thing you can do.

Remember to eat some good quality icecreame if you get operated, especially since the weather is hot.

momdoc111 - 2008-06-09 4:15 PM

I am 56 and also need my tonsils out. I am not looking forward to this but I guess I need to do it because of my sleep apnea. I did find a sight with several people all adults, who have just had the surgery and you can view what they have said. the sight is called steadyhealth.

I do believe if there was some magical herbal or natural healing process for bad tonsils in adults, the doc's would say so.
I would get at least 2 opinions and listen to what both doc's have to say.
Orbilia
Posted 2008-06-10 6:21 AM (#108284 - in reply to #72907)

In all things medical, if in doubt, seek a second opinion.

I've had a couple of sinus ops and from what I observed in my fellow patients, adult tonsilectomy whilst uncomfortable, was not unbearable. Those having their wisdom teeth out or, like me, their face peeled off the bone in order to enlarge the maxilliary sinuses were far more sore (I have a very neat scar under my top lip apparently).

I do have to warn you not to expect ice cream afterward. The medics give you dryish corn flakes (or similar) as scratchy foods encourage healing.

Whilst making your decision, try salt gargles (made with boiled water and left to cool) twice a day and see if that helps. You may find it soothing if you add some sodium bicarbonate as well as the sodium chloride. From memory a 9% solution minimises the sting.

I'm guessing sea salt may be best as it contains iodine as well.

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2008-06-10 6:26 AM
bstqltmkr
Posted 2008-06-10 9:17 AM (#108290 - in reply to #72723)

Hi Fee, that part about scratchy/salty foods makes sense to me. When my sister and I had our tonsils taken out, I remember getting home and everyone was eating potato chips. I wanted some so bad that I ate them even though it hurt so much. My sister wanted some too, not enough to feel the pain though. In the end I healed faster than she did. Or it could have been because she was actually sick, I was only in for the bonus deal they had going at the time.

Posted 2008-06-10 9:47 AM (#108292 - in reply to #72723)

wow! the original post is from Jan 2007!

uhm, and i don't believe that docs would know about or support any natural means of doing things because they can't make money that way and it's not within the western, scientific method of figuring things out.

seriously, i've seen things cured outright by diet, chinese medicine, etc etc etc, things that most western docs only acknowledge as "placebos." sad really.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-06-10 10:22 AM (#108293 - in reply to #108292)

Expert Yogi

Thank you ZB,

My DD does acupuncture for her tonsils. While they are not "completely" down to normal size, she never has a sore throat, and the acupuncture reduces the swelling. There are some chinese herbal formulas that we take regularly on an as needed basis. Our TCMD keeps telling us everything is okay. I think most people freak out when the tonsils get swollen and have a severe lack of understanding about the human body. You know that attack and destroy because something doesn't look perfect syndrome, or let's cut it out and destroy it,

Edited by Cyndi 2008-06-10 10:24 AM

Posted 2008-06-10 11:20 AM (#108295 - in reply to #72723)

yup.

and some of us, like myself, we just have big tonsils. i was so angry at the doc who did my physical in Jan for so many reasons. one of the reasons i chose him is because he did acupuncture, but then i learn he considers it a placebo and "merely experimental!" i was so angry about that. LOL

anyway, on my physical, he wrote that i had large tonsils, and also suggested that i should have them removed! they've never been a problem--i've never had problems with my throat. they're just bigger than average and perfectly healthy. it's crazy!

and as for curing things, Dr Rose--october j's doctor--she has cured animal cancers for years with TCM that she practices on animals. she says "there is no placebo effect in animals!" and she's right.

but no one ever listens to me about it. it's so frustrating! LOL

and, i haven't found a TCM, but we did find a homeopathic doctor near-by who is nice. so, i'm hoping to make an appointment with him this summer to establish a relationship, and then take the baby there soon after birth.
joscmt
Posted 2008-07-03 10:19 AM (#108876 - in reply to #72723)

After beginning this thread forever ago- I've since been washing my tonsils with a waterpik. While it sucks, I always feel a lot better afterwards. Because I have cryptic tonsils (think natural sponge vs. manufactured sponge), stuff gets stuck in there.
This has worked for me.. and no throat infections since then.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)