YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Iyengar forum needed?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

Bay Guy
Posted 2007-01-02 9:59 PM (#72682)
Subject: Iyengar forum needed?

Expert Yogi

I wonder whether it might make sense to start another forum on the board which could be for the purpose of discussing Iyengar yoga?  This forum seems to be otherwise occupied...

Edited by Bay Guy 2007-01-02 9:59 PM

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-01-03 3:12 AM (#72694 - in reply to #72682)
Subject: RE: Iyengar forum needed?

possibly, but how much discussion does iyengar yoga really receive?
was there anything in particular you were wanting to discuss, Brother Bay?
it seems as though a lot of the nuances of Iyengar (or any) yoga don't really translate well across this medium...
you raise a good point, though.
Ravi
Posted 2007-01-03 9:23 AM (#72704 - in reply to #72682)

Om Namah Sivaya
BG,

I do not think that the forum was hijacked on purpose...

But I have noticed that there have been fewer "forum related" topics as of lately. But I try to take it with a grain of salt as all things are in constant flux and change so must be the forum eh?

Om Shanti,
Ravi
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-01-03 10:02 AM (#72711 - in reply to #72682)

Hi Bay guy, I kind of knew when my friends and I signed up here as a group and sort of took over the Iyengar area of Yoga.com that some feathers might be ruffled. But I was raised as a Catholic, and I'm really good at rationalizing. So, in my mind it went like this, as a group, my friends and I are mostly influenced by BKS Iyengar, and so it made sense to a few of us that we could meet here. Sometimes the Iyengar area as a whole is pretty quiet, and so I was hoping we weren't bothering anyone. Also, I know I can speak for the others I signed on with when I say we love when everyone else talks with us, and are always inviting others to join in. We're not being exclusive and you could join in anytime. Or look on the bright side, even though I'm a feeble seeker I have my mantra. In less than twelve short years I'll be experiencing enlightenment, and won't have to lean on the positive influence of my friends here. That's the plan anyway, haha, and in the meantime I hope you'll be patient and view us as a source of good energy, even if we get in your way a bit. Shelly
ystan
Posted 2007-01-03 10:18 PM (#72764 - in reply to #72682)

Bay Guy, we know Yoga encompasses the 8 limbs, and it is a way of life.  Yoga is not about a person performs the most perfect asanas/sequence/flows. While our discussions may be mistaken as “off topics”, in truth we focus on Yoga in layman / householder terms, we apply Yoga concepts to our daily lives, which is the essence of Yoga. We needed space to discuss, learn and acquire these great values and virtues, with guides and support from those who have been there. If we had not fit exactly into the name of sub-forum, this is due to Yoga.com forum structures, which aims to add clarity, but as you can see, our focus is very clear too. So should this small “clash with structure” be overlook as immaterial, and allow ourselves to see a bigger picture? Namaste
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-01-03 10:25 PM (#72766 - in reply to #72682)

I suggest that this discussion whatever that is called should be moved to either OT or General Forum and leave the old Iyengar Thread as it is. And, then see what gets added to Iyengar thread. What do you think?
judamom
Posted 2007-01-04 11:43 AM (#72855 - in reply to #72766)

Does not Yoga stand for Union--Oneness? Do not many of the World challenges arrive from sectular thoughts? Can Oneness be divided into threads or any item be in a 'wrong place?' Not an attempt at confrontation......only shared thinking that you stimulated. Judamom

Posted 2007-01-04 5:42 PM (#72894 - in reply to #72682)

The board has sections. This is by design. The sections have titles. This is by design. The titles are pointers about the content. This is by design. This is a filing system.

Oneness does not mean we place all of our receipts in the same folder. Things still have their place. The medical expense receipts do not belong mixed in with the tuition receipts. You do not wear your work boots on your yoga mat. We do not keep dirt on our mats even though dirt is divine. It just has a place:-)

Getting back to the original question...
if it's a serious one then it seems redundant to create an Iyengar forum when one already exists. If however it is not serious then the message contained within it seems to be "please post in the appropriate place as I am bothered you are posting non-iyengar content in the Iyengar forum".

Edited by purnayoga 2007-01-04 5:49 PM
judamom
Posted 2007-01-05 6:05 AM (#72938 - in reply to #72894)

I understand. Judamom
ystan
Posted 2007-01-05 10:06 AM (#72950 - in reply to #72894)

Purnayoga, Bay Guy cannot be serious proposing a second Ivengar forum, hence, in your word, we are discussing non-Ivengar contents in the Ivengar forum. Why are we not acting appropriately? Because few wise persons felt they are qualified to decide the boundaries of Ivengar Yoga. I wish B.K.S Ivengar could be here to confirm, if our tiny group is not practicing what he preaches.  I am not afraid to say we are near the core, while you will have to figure out where you are. Please take note, our existence does not in anyway stop anyone starting and participating in new threads to discuss the bolts and nuts of Ivengar asanas/practices. Namaste
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-01-06 4:39 PM (#73055 - in reply to #72950)

Expert Yogi

I'm glad to see that I sparked some discussion. Purna's second take on my suggestion was about spot on. The forums are file drawers within the board.

May I be so bold as to suggest that "the friendship continue" on the Oriental Massage forum?  It gets almost no traffic, no one is very interested in it -- in fact, I suggested it be eliminated quite a while ago--- about the same time I suggested adding the Philosophy and Religion forum and the Diet and Nutrition forum. 

I have no objection to "the friendship" per se, but for those who are...uh... unfriendly? friendless? pedantic? or just interested in Iyengar yoga ...it might help if the top thread would usually deal with the most current discussion of Iyengar yoga.

'nuff said.

.... bg

ystan
Posted 2007-01-06 11:03 PM (#73105 - in reply to #73055)

I have no objection to "the friendship" per se, but for those who are...uh... unfriendly? friendless? pedantic? or just interested in Iyengar yoga ...it might help if the top thread would usually deal with the most current discussion of Iyengar yoga.

This is my less smart response to your smart suggestion. Yoga.com might consider this, which may solve the problem you mentioned. Give special privilege to the qualified few, and display their subjects/threads ahead of others, so the readers will not miss these important posts! As to how to determine the list, may I suggest those felt they are important nominate themselves? Namaste  

Posted 2007-01-07 1:51 AM (#73116 - in reply to #72682)

This is why I opted to keep my board trimmed to a baare minimum and not employ a section for "Other Stuff". When you create space for "other stuff" what you wind up with is "other stuff".

PM's are for friendships, no?
Alas the definition of suffering is the gap between what we believe reality to be and what it really is. In this case it seems the reality is this post has life in the Iyeengar forum for what reason I cannot tell you.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-01-07 8:01 AM (#73134 - in reply to #72682)

Hey if I was interested in Oriental massage, and my friends were interested in oriental massage, then I would say yes, lets meet under oriental massage. If we were learning about oriental massage, sure, but I'm sitting here wondering what is oriental massage? I might pay for one some day, but I'm not trying to live it.
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-01-07 10:24 AM (#73146 - in reply to #73105)

Expert Yogi

ystan - 2007-01-06 11:03 PM

This is my less smart response to your smart suggestion. Yoga.com might consider this, which may solve the problem you mentioned. Give special privilege to the qualified few, and display their subjects/threads ahead of others, so the readers will not miss these important posts! As to how to determine the list, may I suggest those felt they are important nominate themselves? Namaste  

Hmmm. That is an ad hominem response that does not address the point.

tourist
Posted 2007-01-07 12:03 PM (#73159 - in reply to #73146)

Expert Yogi

I keep hoping this thread will die on its own but you guys aren't letting it go, are you? See - I am one of those people who could care less about what an old board friend called "thread hygiene." I like to look at threads about subject a and see how they morph into subject b and c and I like it even more if they are silly. (See the e coli thread....) Technically I suppose this whole thing should be in OT, but I believe there was a request to keep it as is and I don't know how to move a whole thread anyway. I am concerned that we are developing two "camps" and that things will get uncomfortable, and we don't want that, do we?
Ravi
Posted 2007-01-07 1:37 PM (#73170 - in reply to #72682)

Om namah Sivaya
All,

I am finding it rather difficult to believe that in this "forum" or "community" as of all places there is an severe lack of humility and compassion. What purpose is served with the lack of what is so preached in every other post.
As only being a member for just over a year now I have never seen a robust amount of activity in this forum anyhow. Who cares that a few friends gather here to reflect each others lives and days events. One can tell by the post heading or not if it is relevent to "Iyengar" related practices or if "The friendship Continues".
I am speaking as I think that if this change has brought discourse or turmoil into your heart over something so non-trivial, maybe it is time for meditation, reflection and contemplation.
May all this blow over and be long forgotton.

"There can be no vulnerability without risk; there can be no community without vulnerability; there can be no peace, and ultimately no life, without community". -M. Scott Peck

Om Shanti,
Ravi
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-01-07 1:57 PM (#73173 - in reply to #73159)

Expert Yogi

tourist - 2007-01-07 12:03 PMI keep hoping this thread will die on its own but you guys aren't letting it go, are you? See - I am one of those people who could care less about what an old board friend called "thread hygiene." I like to look at threads about subject a and see how they morph into subject b and c and I like it even more if they are silly. (See the e coli thread....) Technically I suppose this whole thing should be in OT, but I believe there was a request to keep it as is and I don't know how to move a whole thread anyway. I am concerned that we are developing two "camps" and that things will get uncomfortable, and we don't want that, do we?

I agree about letting it go, especially in view of the heated tone that this has taken on.  ... bg

Edited by Bay Guy 2007-01-07 2:06 PM
ystan
Posted 2007-01-07 10:16 PM (#73224 - in reply to #73159)

Yes, there is absolutely no problem for me to rest my arguement. And I had uttered unkind words, please accept my apology. Namaste
Cyndi
Posted 2007-01-08 10:22 AM (#73248 - in reply to #73224)

Expert Yogi

I remember a while back Piel' himself made a couple of comments about this thread when we were having server problems or whatever was going on back then...he didn't seem to mind it was going on and seemed to encourage it. With that said, if its okay by Piel, then I guess ya'll should just keep it going, and not worry about it. Besides, BG hasn't been on this forum for months and never sticks around long enough to participate. So, Good Morning Sunshine!! I'm having a very nice day today in the mountains of NC. It's beautiful and I think I'm going to venture out of the house, (I haven't left my home in 5 days now) and go check out some water/ice falls today. Breathe everyone...just breathe.
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-01-08 9:26 PM (#73323 - in reply to #73248)

Expert Yogi

Missed you too, Cyndi.

.... bg

Cyndi
Posted 2007-01-08 9:49 PM (#73326 - in reply to #73323)

Expert Yogi

please don't hate me BG...........
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-01-08 9:56 PM (#73328 - in reply to #73326)

Expert Yogi

Well, gee, I have to think about that....  Actually, I just posted my reply in the "yoga and the military" thread on the stress relief forum.

Maybe that's too elliptical -- I don't hate anybody, it's too much work!  And I don't hate you, Cyndi, in particular!

..bg

Edited by Bay Guy 2007-01-08 10:09 PM
ellen
Posted 2007-01-10 8:43 PM (#73633 - in reply to #72682)

Some thoughts...

Since I've been on this forum (less than 2 weeks, I think) I have peeked into the friendship continues a few times, and I have always found a little rest there. No arguing between the circle of buddies that run around this board, nothing to prove/disprove, just a little rest in a nice spot. I always thought that I would be gently recieved if I decided to post.

PM's are really good for private thoughts between two people, but aren't so effective for community friendships, which I think is what actually goes on here in all the threads much of the time.

Sometimes you just need to watch the deer in the meadow. If you make noise, they will scatter, and the beautiful moment is broken.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)