YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

About Compassion
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

Cyndi
Posted 2006-12-30 1:43 PM (#72493)
Subject: About Compassion

Expert Yogi

I received this quote via email this morning. To me this is the most fascinating subject, the most profound, but more importantly...the most important aspect of the yoga practice. Today I'm feeling very strange because, last night I watched "An Inconvienient Truth". Afterwards, I then flipped the channel to find that Saddam Hussein was Hanged. It really was disturbing to say the least and I had very mixed feelings about it. I felt very sad. Anyway, this morning I was blessed and reminded by the following dharma quote. It cleared the path for me regarding the reasons "why" I did indeed feel the way I did. So, I'm sharing my thoughts and my email with all you guys. I really feel that 'compassion' is so very necessary to continue to develop within ourselves in order to establish world peace. It's ongoing and it requires us to dig deeper, so much deeper than ever before. The earth is very fragile right now, it needs our loving kindness compassionate attention. This includes every being that exist on it.

May you all have a Very Happy New Year. May we all live healthy and prosperous as we continue our journey to enlightenment.

The practice of compassion begins at home. We have our parents, our children, and our brothers and sisters, who perhaps irritate us the most, and we begin our practice of loving-kindness and compassion with them. Then gradually we extend our compassion out into our greater community, our country, neighbouring countries, the world, and finally to all sentient beings equally without exception.

Extending compassion in this way makes it evident that it is not very easy to instantly have compassion for "all sentient beings." Theoretically it may be comfortable to have compassion for "all sentient beings," but through our practice we realize that "all sentient beings" is a collection of individuals. When we actually try to generate compassion for each and every individual, it becomes much more challenging. But if we cannot work with one individual, then how can we work with all sentient beings? Therefore it is important for us to reflect more practically, to work with compassion for individuals and then extend that compassion further.

--from Trainings in Compassion by Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche translated by the Padmakara Translation Group

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Ravi
Posted 2006-12-30 6:45 PM (#72501 - in reply to #72493)
Subject: RE: About Compassion

Om Namah Sivaya
Cyndi,

Very well put...... I also have been somewhat disturbed about the recent events. To me personally what better way to handle a brutal ruthless dicator than to give him the one thing he was unable to give his whole life. " Compassion"
I am not saying he does not belong behind bars or in some forced work camp the rest of his life......... wouldn't that have thrown everybody in the desert for a loop. But violence begets more violence..

Anyhow to perk things up a bit..... here is a transcript I have been using at the end of my classes during final relaxation the last couple weeks.... I feel that now more than ever it is needed.. I have gotton some pretty profound and positive feedbacks at the end class. I hope you like it.

Loving Kindness Meditation Transcript:

Take a few deep breaths, relax your body. Feel your energy settle into your body and into the moment.

See if certain phrases emerge from your heart that express what you wish most deeply for yourself, not just for today, but in an enduring way. Phrases that are big enough and general enough that you can ultimately wish them for all of life, for all beings everywhere.

Classical phrases are things like, "May I live in safety. May I be happy. May I be healthy. May I live with ease."

You can gently repeat these phrases over and over again, have your mind rest in the phrases and whenever you find your attention has wandered, don't worry about it. When you recognize you've lost touch with the moment, see if you can gently let go and begin again.

May I live in safety, May I be happy, May I be healthy, May I live with ease.

Call to mind somebody that you care about--a good friend, or someone who's helped you in your life, someone who inspires you. You can visualize them, say their name to yourself. Get a feeling for their presence, and then direct the phrases of lovingkindness to them. May you live in safety, May you be happy, May you be healthy, May you live with ease.

Call to mind someone you know who's having a difficult time right now. They've experienced a loss, painful feeling, a difficult situation. If somebody like that comes to mind, bring them here.
Imagine them sitting in front of you. Say their name. Get a feeling for their presence and offer the phrases of lovingkindness to them.

"May you live in safety. May you be happy. May you be healthy, May you live with ease."
Think of someone who plays some role in your life, some function that you don't know very well, that you don't have a particular feeling for, or against. Maybe the checkout person at the supermarket where you shop, the gas-station attendant, somebody that you see periodically. If someone like that comes to mind, imagine them sitting in front of you, and offer these same phrases of lovingkindness to them.
May you live in safety. May you be happy. May you be be healthy, May you live with ease.

We connect into these phrases, aiming the heart in this way, we're opening ourselves to the possibility of including, rather than excluding, of connecting, rather than overlooking, of caring, rather than being indifferent. And ultimately, we open in this way to all beings everywhere, without distinction, without separation.

May all beings live in safety, May all beings be happy, May all beings be healthy, live with ease.

All people, all animals, all creatures, all those in existence, near and far, known to us and unknown to us. All beings on the earth, in the air, in the water. Those being born, those dying.

May all beings everywhere live in safety, may all beings everywhere be happy, may all beings everywhere be healthy, may all beings everywhere live with ease.

You feel the energy of this aspiration extending infinitely in front of you, to either side, behind you, above and below. As the heart extends in a boundless way, leaving no one out, may all beings live in safety, be happy, be healthy, live with ease.
And when you feel ready, you can open your eyes and see if you can bring this energy with you throughout the day.

May the New Year bring you Joy, Peace and Happiness

Om Shanti,
Ravi

Edited by Ravi 2006-12-30 6:46 PM
joscmt
Posted 2006-12-30 10:36 PM (#72512 - in reply to #72493)

Those are both nice sentiments. My sponsor has me do this practice when there is someone annoying me or getting on my nerves... or really just can't take- I pray for that person every day. I wish for them the same things I wish for myself. Typically, this is done for 2 weeks, but I have had people (1 in particular, I'm on something like week 6). This really helps build compassion, patience, and understanding. It takes me out of myself and helps to remind me that the universe does not, in fact, revolve around me.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-12-31 10:46 AM (#72532 - in reply to #72512)

Expert Yogi

joscmt - 2006-12-30 10:36 PM

It takes me out of myself and helps to remind me that the universe does not, in fact, revolve around me.

Well, actually it does. It revolves around ALL of us, your included too ya know.
joscmt
Posted 2006-12-31 5:33 PM (#72555 - in reply to #72493)

I guess I meant that I didn't sit at the center of the universe... tee hee
mishoga
Posted 2007-01-01 12:19 PM (#72581 - in reply to #72501)

Expert Yogi

Ravi - 2006-12-30 6:45 PM

Om Namah Sivaya
Cyndi,

Very well put...... I also have been somewhat disturbed about the recent events. To me personally what better way to handle a brutal ruthless dicator than to give him the one thing he was unable to give his whole life. " Compassion"
I am not saying he does not belong behind bars or in some forced work camp the rest of his life......... wouldn't that have thrown everybody in the desert for a loop. But violence begets more violence..

Anyhow to perk things up a bit..... here is a transcript I have been using at the end of my classes during final relaxation the last couple weeks.... I feel that now more than ever it is needed.. I have gotton some pretty profound and positive feedbacks at the end class. I hope you like it.

Loving Kindness Meditation Transcript:

Take a few deep breaths, relax your body. Feel your energy settle into your body and into the moment.

See if certain phrases emerge from your heart that express what you wish most deeply for yourself, not just for today, but in an enduring way. Phrases that are big enough and general enough that you can ultimately wish them for all of life, for all beings everywhere.

Classical phrases are things like, "May I live in safety. May I be happy. May I be healthy. May I live with ease."

You can gently repeat these phrases over and over again, have your mind rest in the phrases and whenever you find your attention has wandered, don't worry about it. When you recognize you've lost touch with the moment, see if you can gently let go and begin again.

May I live in safety, May I be happy, May I be healthy, May I live with ease.

Call to mind somebody that you care about--a good friend, or someone who's helped you in your life, someone who inspires you. You can visualize them, say their name to yourself. Get a feeling for their presence, and then direct the phrases of lovingkindness to them. May you live in safety, May you be happy, May you be healthy, May you live with ease.

Call to mind someone you know who's having a difficult time right now. They've experienced a loss, painful feeling, a difficult situation. If somebody like that comes to mind, bring them here.
Imagine them sitting in front of you. Say their name. Get a feeling for their presence and offer the phrases of lovingkindness to them.

"May you live in safety. May you be happy. May you be healthy, May you live with ease."
Think of someone who plays some role in your life, some function that you don't know very well, that you don't have a particular feeling for, or against. Maybe the checkout person at the supermarket where you shop, the gas-station attendant, somebody that you see periodically. If someone like that comes to mind, imagine them sitting in front of you, and offer these same phrases of lovingkindness to them.
May you live in safety. May you be happy. May you be be healthy, May you live with ease.

We connect into these phrases, aiming the heart in this way, we're opening ourselves to the possibility of including, rather than excluding, of connecting, rather than overlooking, of caring, rather than being indifferent. And ultimately, we open in this way to all beings everywhere, without distinction, without separation.

May all beings live in safety, May all beings be happy, May all beings be healthy, live with ease.

All people, all animals, all creatures, all those in existence, near and far, known to us and unknown to us. All beings on the earth, in the air, in the water. Those being born, those dying.

May all beings everywhere live in safety, may all beings everywhere be happy, may all beings everywhere be healthy, may all beings everywhere live with ease.

You feel the energy of this aspiration extending infinitely in front of you, to either side, behind you, above and below. As the heart extends in a boundless way, leaving no one out, may all beings live in safety, be happy, be healthy, live with ease.
And when you feel ready, you can open your eyes and see if you can bring this energy with you throughout the day.

May the New Year bring you Joy, Peace and Happiness

Om Shanti,
Ravi

Ravi, that's a Metta meditation. I too use this personally and in class.
Mish
Cyndi
Posted 2007-01-01 2:38 PM (#72586 - in reply to #72501)

Expert Yogi

Hi Ravi,

About Suddam Hussein....you should read the story about Ashoka. The more I think about this, I wished that Suddam could of have this same experience. Oh well..... Here's a Wikipedia version of Ashoka. I personally love the "Bollywood" version of Ashoka, its a beautiful story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashoka
Ravi
Posted 2007-01-01 4:04 PM (#72590 - in reply to #72493)

Om Cyndi,

If it could have only been that way......... very good story indeed.

You know as I was reading the story and thenauthor started explaining the geography of the area durin his reign..... I silently said to myself...dang that whole region has never had any peace has it...too bad!

But to see all of the good that has come from there is almost as astounding....

Om Shanti,
Ravi

SCThornley
Posted 2007-01-01 5:21 PM (#72595 - in reply to #72493)

greater the one within

than

the one without

OM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread