YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The Friendship Continues
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

tourist
Posted 2007-01-03 7:23 PM (#72754 - in reply to #72749)
Subject: RE: The Friendship Continues

Expert Yogi

judamom - you are more than welcome here. Pay no attention to the pirate hiding behind the Ganesh statue
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-01-03 9:54 PM (#72761 - in reply to #72754)

Expert Yogi

"Sixteen men on a deadman's chest, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!"

... rls

ystan
Posted 2007-01-04 1:09 AM (#72784 - in reply to #72703)

Dear friends, during my last hospital stay, the doctor had found the oxygen concentration in my blood was low (90%) and I was given oxygen via soft tubes through nose, and it improved to about 95%, an acceptable range. In one of the day which I was feeling better, I joked with a caring nurse that I can do a Yogic Bellows breath, and I would like to know its effect on oxygen concentration. So I removed the tubes and started a 2 cycles / second breath for about 1 minute, and guess what? The oxygen reading hit the limit to 100%! I remembered the nurse looked at me as if I was an alien! I was very happy knowing I do have the ability to feed my body with more oxygen, so friends, remember to add a few minutes of pranayama in your daily Yoga routine! Namaste

Posted 2007-01-04 2:36 AM (#72790 - in reply to #72784)

you're not an alien?
yogis can be tricky like that, what with the breathing and such...there is a cool clip on youtube of Mr. Iyengar demonstrating inhalation and exhalation.
whats not cool is me slacking on pranayama...

today my kitchen sink clogged while i was preparing lunch.
my first instinct was to panic and/or curse a blue streak.
i calmly ate lunch, and went off in search of a plunger.
about an hour later i returned, plunger in hand, and meted out swift justcie to a slimy clog.
i felt so victorious!

i'm sure this has been covered before, but how do you all know each other, and where are you from?
fill me in on the vital details...
tssundaram_80
Posted 2007-01-04 2:49 AM (#72791 - in reply to #72290)

ystan :- Even while you were staying in the hospital, you have practically demonstrated the effect of yoga and breathing on the body. Very thrilling to read the same. Our best wishes to you. Certainly, we shall take your advice and include pranayama as a "must" for our daily routine, benifit of which you have practically shown to us.. Sundaram
tssundaram_80
Posted 2007-01-04 3:10 AM (#72792 - in reply to #72290)

Dhanurasana:- Sorry to butt in. Your short narrative of sink clogging reminds me of the importance of keeping one's wind pipe clean through various types of breathing. pranayama included..
judamom
Posted 2007-01-04 5:43 AM (#72796 - in reply to #72790)

dhanurasana--thank-you for asking how we all know each other-- I would be honored to tell the story. I was checking out Yahoo discussion groups and saw that Rodney Yee sponsered a group. He would give some teaching or lesson he had learned etc. and then their would be response for a few weeks, then he would change it. It seemed that the 5 of us just connected. I found I looked forward to the time of day I could read and sometimes respond to these special people. Just as the friendship was in the beginning stages Rodney announced that he was discontinuing the group----I would imagine he is a very busy man since he has made a significant name for himself in the Yogic field teaching. ZZZuluwarrior discovered Yoga.com and we all decided to meet here. Immediately, Tourist jumped in to welcome us and we all became a very supportive friendship. Sharing our daily lives with one another. Yoga on various levels is important to us all as our main common ground. I am so amazed that I was given these friends from all over the world by sitting at my computer. We all found that we "truly cared" about one another and we are all of diverse cultures and locations--it makes no difference. I remember saying I was participating in a Yoga forum for learning of the sutras etc. and I did not want/need chit chat but I discovered that "chit chat is life!" It is where we relax from the disciplines and seriousness that can overcome a Yogi from time to time. We titled TSSundaram "Honorable" and that caused he and his wife 'her majesty' to laugh. He is 82 and studied under Ivengar in his youth. He remains healthy and indepent and gentle and knowledgable and truly caring. We adore who this man is although gender is of small importance. I thought zzzulu was male until Ystan and she met in person and Ystan said "She" is sooooo cool. ZZZulu is very busy but she pops in when she has time and we all are excited to hear from her when she does. Shelly is a busy homemaker and uses Yoga to keep her as centered as a busy Mom can be. Ystan is getting over the loss of a 'husband and best friend' within a year or so and just under went heart surgery and as you can see she is teaching her nurses about getting more nourishment to her blood system through breathing technique. We share the BEST of chit chat. We are not into debating issues so much as looking at ourselves and laughing. We all exchanged personal emails and addresses in case we want to be private but mostly we want to share all together on line. If we were not here we would find another space-----we are Yoga People and this feels like a home away from home. Thank-you very much for asking. We have room for more friends! Namaste Judamom
judamom
Posted 2007-01-04 5:47 AM (#72797 - in reply to #72290)

Honorable TSSundaram-----we tried to shorten it to TS---but Ystan did not like short cuts to names---------"Since when do you consider yourself as "butting in". We so honor your input here special man!!!!" We are sending love and healing to your eyes now. Judamom
tssundaram_80
Posted 2007-01-04 8:19 AM (#72808 - in reply to #72290)

judamon:- Since I was addressing to Dhanurasana for the first time, I used the word butt in and was a bit apologetic out of respect to Dhanurasana. That is all. Never meant anything wrong.
Dhurasana is a very good name. the Asana also. We all wecome you Dhanurasana..

This posture gets its name from the bending of the body like a bow. This asana, a classic in asanas, is a combination of both cobra pose(Bhujangasana) and the Locust ( Shalabhasa) pose.
The spinal colunn, muscles, the endocrine glands, Alimentary canal and Accessory glands, Kidney etc are benefitted from this asana.
Judamom, I am getting admitted for the eye surgery tomorrow the 5th Jan. I shall visit all of you after a week. Thank you again judamom for your reference about me to Dhanurasana. Sundaram.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-01-04 8:56 AM (#72816 - in reply to #72290)

Dear Tssundaram, I will be thinking of you, and sending the best my mind and heart have to offer. When you come back you can tell us how sharp your vision is. I'll never forget when my daughter was fitted with her first pair of eyeglasses at age 4, and seeing her look around in wonder at everything she could see.

Yesterday I had my first practice in the space I made for myself in my bedroom. It went so perfectly, I was thinking how I should have done it long ago. I took Dhanurasana's advise in the other thread and did an hour of standing poses, followed by plow, shoulderstand, and fish. Ah, then savasana was wonderful. Now though, today is waiting for me, love to all, Shelly
tssundaram_80
Posted 2007-01-04 10:13 AM (#72832 - in reply to #72290)

Bstqltmkr. I am deeply moved by your words of encouragement to me on the eve of the eye surgery due on 5th Jan. Ystan has specially asked me to give rest to my eyes, and to use the pc sparingly. She has given me a piece of advice and must be watching me from a distance what I am doing now with the pc. So before I cut this message short and act like a good boy , I send you my warm regards and shall get in touch as soon as the Doctor gives me the green signal. Sundaram.
judamom
Posted 2007-01-04 10:29 AM (#72842 - in reply to #72832)

TSSundaram---I hope you peek in here one more time when Ystan isn't looking because I must tell you of a lesson I learned from you just now, and a very important one to me. I so desire to be resectful that I 'assume' the other knows that that is where I am coming from. You are so respectful and you 'do not assume' the other knows that, so you carefully display that in your actions and words. I so admire that trait in you that I would like to adopt it in my thinking and behavior. Thank-you for being the great teacher you are.......usually unbeknowns to yourself! Now rest, Much love and caring coming to you from "the clan of friends" Judamom
tssundaram_80
Posted 2007-01-04 11:43 AM (#72856 - in reply to #72290)

judamom;- I really enjoy reading all your mails in the forum including the latest one # 72842, though I myself do not know as to what extent I deserve praise coming as they do from a well experienced allrounder like you, Sundaram.
ystan
Posted 2007-01-05 6:46 AM (#72939 - in reply to #72790)

Dhanurasana, thanks for showing interest in the history of our tiny friendship clan. Judamom, thanks for filling in, I could not have done a better job! I would like to take this opportunity to thank Rodney Yee for 12 months of guidance via the Yahoo Blog. His guidance not so much centered on Yoga asanas, but had carefully plan and covered various aspects of Yoga; though he did not participate in readers comments, he smartly included his reply in later topics. Rodney provided great insights and wisdom, and he is great motivator, under his leadership, there were easily 100 regular participants, the exchanges were great, and no risk of running out of topics and discussions. We were at a lost when the Blog ends; fortunately we found this site, which provided some space to carry on. On another note, please allow me to have a little fun, why not "pranayama your lung" till strong and powerful, you might not need a plunger, one strong exhalation may do the job! JNamaste

bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-01-05 11:34 AM (#72957 - in reply to #72290)

Today Tssundaram is occupying my thoughts. I had no internet connection this morning, so I lived my life, but in between I would think on Tssundaram's big day, and how thankful I am for his example and influence in my life. Afterward, I was able to come here and read his lovely message, his presence is a beautiful gift in my life. Thank you to all my friends here for your inspiration to be a better person, and your example to lead the way. Namaste, Shelly
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-01-06 9:16 AM (#73004 - in reply to #72290)

Hi Friends, today the words aren't coming to me very easily. I'll be honest, I'm not feeling positive, I'm feeling really bummed. This weather is getting to me. I can't get over the high temperature for the time of year, and I'm feeling doom and gloom. So I guess that's todays practice, feel this way, and let it go. I'm sure when I come back I'll be feeling better. On the plus side, I can feel, and I have love in my heart, I'm thankful for that, Namaste, Shelly
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-01-06 1:40 PM (#73040 - in reply to #72290)

Sorry if I'm getting annoying, but I had to come back and say that I'm feeling better. I wasn't feeling inspired, but I got out my mat. I ended up having an excellent practice, putting my body into the form of a warrior helped me to deal with the fear behind my earlier bad attitude. Once my energy was flowing things were greatly improved. Later in Savasana my feet felt so good it was almost like a massage. Thank you for being patient with me, Shelly
judamom
Posted 2007-01-06 5:09 PM (#73066 - in reply to #73040)

It appears you are learning to be patient with yourself and just acknowledge that some days IT is there and some days AINT!! The AINT days need to be experienced also.......maybe just to make us appreciate the great days.....gotta go. Judamom
ystan
Posted 2007-01-07 5:50 AM (#73127 - in reply to #72746)

Sirensong(#72746), Cindi (#72749) and Tourist (#72754), thank you for support and encourage us to “continue our journey”; On the road, we may lack considerations, we keep occupying the fast lane, and invited angry drivers trailing closely behind. But while we are on this wonderful journey, kindly join in from time to time, and be our divine guide. Thank you again, Namaste
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-01-07 8:24 AM (#73139 - in reply to #72290)

Hi Judamom, I'm so thankful that those rough days don't shut me down like they used to. I can deal with it better than I realize. Thanks for being there.

Hi Ystan, thank you for your last post, I'm not the most sociable person, and sometimes lack the proper manners that make the world a better place. I'm so glad you thought to thank our friends who spoke up for us.

There's the sun again, calling me to enjoy the day. I hope he doesn't get too warm, I'm still trying to pretend I'm experiencing winter! Shelly
judamom
Posted 2007-01-07 8:28 AM (#73140 - in reply to #73127)

I really do consider we should find another location to share our friendships. It is not nearly as much fun feeling resented as we post. I see that zzzuluwarrior and friends had more views than any other thread under Iyengar and Bay Guy is possibly a little jealous that he does not drawn such interest. No matter let us check around for another location so we can continue to share our lives based around Yoga rather than debate with the Yogins as to classification, and proper place in organization and all the "stuff" that makes some feel important. How can our spirits freely share with scowling around observing to be sure we talk about appropriate topics under the appropriate classification. I avoid those type of people because they distract from the beauty of being myself. Of course I consider the fact that they are just being themself also. In the mean time I will simply email each individually where such observances and proper correction does not fit in. Namast Judamom
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-01-07 8:53 AM (#73141 - in reply to #72290)

Hi Juda, I'm sorry you feel that way only because there's an energy and liveliness present in the forum that makes it a good place to meet with friends. I love your messages in the mail though, and here or there makes no difference to me. I love to hear from you, and I love you.
ystan
Posted 2007-01-07 10:09 PM (#73223 - in reply to #72754)

Hi Tourist, my reply to your PM sit in my outbox, and there is no option to push it to the sendbox, did you receive my reply? Thanks 
tourist
Posted 2007-01-08 10:06 AM (#73246 - in reply to #73223)

Expert Yogi

You should have my reply now
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-01-09 8:19 AM (#73365 - in reply to #72290)
Subject: RE:One last time

I'll come here and post one last time, unless of course Tssundaram comes back and decides that this is his home and he wants to stay. He's easygoing though, and I'm sure he's not going to want to fight to stay here when everyone knows the options for us are endless. I can't agree that we were so terribly off topic, but that doesn't matter either. Zzzulu in her infinate wisdom suggested we start out here, and she was right that it was the place for me at the time. She pointed me in the right direction, and I learned I have it in myself to deal with everything that comes along. My practice grew strong here, my body awareness multiplied. This stretch of time that we had here was one of the best things in my life. I grew and learned plenty, I'm thankful to everyone who helped me along my journey. For anyone concerned, the word on Tssundaram is that he's recovering from his surgery as expected, he had his granddaughter send us an email, he's so thoughtful and she sounded wonderful, I'm happy for them. For now I suppose it's time to practice non-attachment.

The disruption in our thread is coming at a hard time for me. Sixty degree weather in January isn't normal for my area, I can't lie and say it's not affecting me. In my gut I feel dread that the natural cycle of the seasons has been disrupted. My only relief has been in meditation. Like Judamom, I feel that right now for me I have to spend more time there. Of course that means less time here. I'll be back, because I've made friends here, I appreciate everyone, and enjoy the company. I finished my quilt top yesterday, and must now do the quiet work of quilting. When I finish I"ll come back and post it, in the OT of course. Then you can all see if I deserve my self proclaimed title of best. In the end I can only do my best.

Anyone who reads here knows I share my lessons I've learned along the way here. I'll share this one more life lesson, it's not mine but I've been witnessing, so I'll describe it. My younger daughter plays volleyball. Last year she wanted to work on getting more power in her serve. She did visualization, which I think she might have gotten carried away with. She started to visualize that her serve was so powerful that it was crashing through the gym floor. Now she has a very powerful serve. At one of her last practices, she served the ball so hard it flew across the court, hit the back wall, came flying back, and then hit the net. Yes, she has her powerful serve. Unfortunatly she has no control or aim. All that power is doing her no good. The good news is that she knows what's wrong. Has she worked on it? No, right now she said she's just really enjoying hammering the hell out of the ball. So for now, with no aim or control all that power is useless to herself and her team, but she knows what she has to do, and will work on it. In the end, we are all powerful people, but are we aiming our power in the right direction? Just a thought, See you around, Namaste, Shelly

Edited by bstqltmkr 2007-01-09 8:20 AM
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)