YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The Friendship Continues
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 5 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

tssundaram_80
Posted 2007-01-22 9:20 AM (#74907 - in reply to #72290)
Subject: RE: The Friendship Continues

Judamom:- Your post 74821. Yes, you can add honey as a sweetener to tea and take, but I have not tried it with coffee. Honey can be used in many ways. The onlr risk is that you get sometimes adulterated Honey. That is, they add jaggery syrup to honey and you cannot make out which is genuine and which is not. There is a wrong notion that one gets constipated with regular use of honey. My personal experience is just the opposite.

I am very glad that you initiated a discussion on Honey and we able to know more about this elixir. Kindly go through two of my posts above on honey. Thanks. T.S.Sundaram.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2007-01-22 10:07 AM (#74914 - in reply to #74907)

Expert Yogi

Dear Tssundaram,

Yes, you were right, I do not like garlic with my honey.

I have tried honey from India and Nepal.  The honey from India tasted just like Jaggery, whereas the honey from Nepal, tasted like Neem.  It was somewhat bitter tasting due to the flowers and trees that were blooming when this honey was made.

This is the reason I do my own beekeeping.  I want 'pure' honey, not sugar honey, and definitely not jaggery honey.  In China and some parts of India, they are have very poor beekeeping practices.  They also cheat when they add sugar to the colony, this is a very bad practice and it is SO UNHEALTHY for the bees.  In the future, they will loose all their bees because they will die from diseases and from bad apiary management.  They also treat these colonies with chemicals and antibiotics that are dangerous for the bees and for human consumption, in the long run.  In fact, recently, Honey from China was banned in the United States for this reason.  Bee careful.

Honey has some really interesting qualities.  In my experience and observations, there are many different types of trees and flowers that bees go for.  They also can be very selective and they pretty much do what bees do, they have a mind of their own when it comes to what type of nectar they choose.  In my region, we have a Sourwood tree that blooms in the Summer.  This honey is called Sourwood Honey.  It has a very warm and heating nature.  Then we have Tupelo Honey from Florida, which is also heating.  Then of course Orange Flour, heating.  These honey's are very light in color and are usually thicker, with the exception of Sourwood, which can usually vary, because it is the "white" honey.  Now, the other types of honey, such as here we have "Wildflower".  This honey is a very dark amber color, and is very cooling.  I consider this the spring honey, which should be eaten in the summer months to help cool the body down or when there is excessive heat in the body.  Then of course there is the Summer Sourwood and the Summer Honey (which could be Tupelo, Clover, Orange Blossom, Sage, etc).  These honey's are good for warming and in the wintertime.  It really depends on the individual person's consitution.  Then, we have Mesquite Honey which is made out West towards Arizona, Texas and Nevada.  This is very White Honey and is also good.  

As a beekeeper, I make notice of everything that is blooming, and I watch the bees to see which flowers they are taking in.  Then when I see they are finished, they cap the honey and then we are able to remove it from the hive and start again.  I always leave the late summer and fall harvest on the hive/colony, so they will have food for winter. 

Also, either way, honey is actually 'neutral' to the human body, according to Traditional Chinese Medicine.  According to Ayurvedic, it is heating.  Honey that is raw is more heating than honey that has been cooked, according to TCM theory. Heated honey moistens dryness and treats dry or hoarse throat and dry cough.  In TCM, both honey's are considered and used medicinally, whereas, Ayurvedically, you should NEVER heat honey above 110 degrees, then it becomes toxic to the human body - which could produce constipation and other health problems.  I personally find that raw honey acts the same as cooked honey and do not accept the TCM method of heating honey.  I find that the various flowers and nectar have more of an inpact on the various medical uses of honey, due to the flowers having their own medicinal value.  Here in America, we don't have much information about the Sourwood, the Tupelo trees etc.  The Native Americans did rely on this, and it is a lost art unfortunately, with little if any documentation.  Hmm?? Perhaps I need to put on my science hat and start documenting huh??

Ya'll have a great day!

Edited by Cyndi 2007-01-22 10:35 AM
Cyndi
Posted 2007-01-22 10:47 AM (#74920 - in reply to #74914)

Expert Yogi

Okay, I'm sorry, it is not Orange FLOUR honey...I was talking to my daughter while typing and told her to please get the flour for me...it should say, Orange Blossom.
judamom
Posted 2007-01-22 3:00 PM (#74939 - in reply to #74914)

TSsundaram, I have used honey in my coffee for years so I remember no other way for coffee. If one is not accustom to it it may take time to adjust the taste buds. Cindy, so nice to know a 'bee keeper' and all the knowledge that that must bring. If we have any questions about bees or honey we know who to ask. Thanks!! Namaste Judamom
Cyndi
Posted 2007-01-22 5:38 PM (#74957 - in reply to #74939)

Expert Yogi

Judamom, I also use honey in my coffee, when I drink it that is. I don't drink coffee very often, but when I do....honey is my preferred condiment.   
ystan
Posted 2007-01-22 9:53 PM (#74978 - in reply to #74914)

Cindi, I enjoyed reading your honey write-up, you must be having great fun being a beekeeper! What is the best way of treating a single bee sting? Namaste
tssundaram_80
Posted 2007-01-23 3:30 AM (#74996 - in reply to #72290)

ystan, bstqltmkr, judamom, zzzulu and now cyndi,
I have just returned from the eye doctor after third check up. Eyerything is fine and the cut has healed.She has permitted me to watch TV, operate pc but to go slowly which I shall certainly do. I thought I will keep you posted of my eye condition. I am also able to see clearly with the operated eye. Best wishes to all of you. T.S.Sundaram.
Yashodha
Posted 2007-01-23 5:57 AM (#75006 - in reply to #74996)

Drinking lots of Honey is not good.. and Ayurveda doesnt recomend it..

" a teaspoonful of honey in lukewarm water, add juice of half a lemon into it, stir well and drink it. "

This is a proven way to slim down.....

Edited by Yashodha 2007-01-23 6:00 AM
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-01-23 6:55 AM (#75014 - in reply to #72290)

Tssundaram, that is lovely news. Now I'm hearing the old song....
I can see clearly now, the rain is gone
I can see all the obstacles in my way
It's going to be a bright, bright sunshining day!

I think those are the words, that's the way I heard them anyway. So, everyone enjoy their day, I missed out on my practice yesterday, and I really missed it. Today my body is aching to get on the mat. It will be good and smooth, like honey, Shelly
judamom
Posted 2007-01-23 7:42 AM (#75022 - in reply to #75006)

Yashodha, One can find controversy in every subject on the planet........makes us realize how incredibly 'unique' we are. What one thrives on is another's poison. Maybe that is why we are learning to tune in to our highest self and trust it beyond what is taught by any single group. I would be a pretty miserable creature if I followed the advise "out there".........Yes, Ystan, I do get lonely from time to time. I also can only read all philosophies and never take one as MY title......I just cannot accept that any one belief system is The Truth for All......at times I envy those who can, but not often. Namaste Judamom
Yashodha
Posted 2007-01-23 7:53 AM (#75023 - in reply to #75022)

Yeah But wont that make us more knowledgable.. When one person say somethign and all the others say Yes its true and agree we wont be sitting and typing here in a forum.. Its all about getting different views and upgrade our knowledge.. But doesnt need to practice everythign what we hear...

"I just cannot accept that any one belief system is The Truth for All."

I agree with you on that.. Its very true.. But Honey matter is not a belief .. its a proven thing due to its content.. But it might work or not based on your body .. because everybody is different.. As a rule of thumb.. my fat friends eat honey with hot lime juice to get thin and atleast they are in control

Cyndi
Posted 2007-01-23 10:21 AM (#75039 - in reply to #74978)

Expert Yogi

Actually, there are some tribal "natives" in Nepal, that live on Honey alone.  They claim that honey has everything they need to survive.  I have also heard of these kinds of people still in India today as well.

I eat honey every day because it is available to me.  I have never experienced problems with honey, in fact, I do believe that is what keeps me healthy.  I once read in one of my Ayurvedic manuals that persons that kept bees did not have cancer.  I believe that to be true since honey is anti-viral, aids in cell rejuvination inside and outside the human body, provides minerals that you cannot get from other outside sources, I could go on and on about this.  Although, you can eat too much of anything and have problems.

Ystan, are bees stinging you??? I have several different remedies for bee stings.  My first recommendation is to apply a wet paste of baking soda to draw out the poison and reduce the pain.  A poultice of coffee grounds is also good. (Coffee grounds help aid in bruising, that is if the bee hits you,   just kidding).  Juice compresses of Onion and/or raw onion packs are also good for drawing out the swelling and pain. Then Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is good too.  All of these things are great to have on hand.  Sometimes I may not have access to all of it.  If you're out in the wilderness, I pretty much stay in back country half of my time.  I keep a bottle of Chinese Herbs on hand as well.  Its a Scute formula that not only works internally and externally to resolve the toxins, but it removes pain.  This is my first choice...the others are secondary.  Once I was backpacking with my daughter and Doberman.  We once got stung over 30 times by yellow jackets, because Dog, was sniffing around the ground where he should not have been!  We took the Chinese Herbal Formula, due to our extreme condition.  I gave this to the dog too.  This saved our lives, because it neutralized the blood and reduced the pain almost instantly, and better than any Western medicine product on the market today.  We were no where near civilization.  My TCMD gave me this remedy.  The others are good and work too, especially for minor stings.  Most of the time, I do not treat bee stings, because I WANT bee stings..it helps build up your immunity to the bees.  Also, there are some people who like to do Apitherapy, this is where you use the bees to sting you in various places on your body.  Bee stings also aids your body in Arthritis conditions.  IF, you are highly allergic to bees, or think you might be, then you should carry around an Epi-pen.  I've known beekeepers who discovered this too late and they ended up in a hospital with severe swelling.  Anaphylactic shock is not something to play with. 

Sooo, that is my bee/honey post for today.  Yes, it is great fun being in nature.  Beekeeping is a wonderful hobby for me.  The first time I ever opened up the hive and saw what they did, I was amazed.  They are such unique little creatures.  There is nothing like being able to open up the hive and smell the bee pollen, the propolis, the wax and the honey.  Then to eat honey directly from the hive is like being in heaven.   I know how Pooh bear feels,

tssundaram_80
Posted 2007-01-23 10:49 AM (#75041 - in reply to #72290)

To all friends including Yashodha:-

Judamom has the knack of pulling out something out of her treasure, this time a good topic on Honey and that has set every body in motion and buzzing like bees. Every one wrote some good things about sweet honey .

Cyndi took all pains to feed us with a lot of information about Bee keeping, Bees, Beehives in her interesting write up. I knew cyndi's attachment towards bees and honey . She had once, months back, told me that she entirely depended on her bee culture for her quota of Honey. Every body cannot have that luxuary.

Ystan liked cyndi's write up on honey very much.

Yashoda's view that, too much of honey is very bad, I also fully endorse. Anything for that matter in excess is very bad. Yasoda's recipe for reducing weight using honey and lemon juice, I myself have tried a few years back. It has certainly contributed positively to my weight loss along with other daily routines programmes. A small bottle of honey should always be in one's kitchen shelf.

One of the best properties of good honey is that its quality does not deteriorate with time. On the other hand , its quality improves with passage of time. No wonder people like to preserve it.

An interesting story on honey is worth mentioning here. A few years back a casket was unearthed from one of the Mummies that are buried in the Pyramids in Egypt. Among other things found in that casket was an earthern jar full of honey. And even after more than three thousand five hundred years the honey was tasteful, sweet and nutritious. It was custom in ancient Egypt to bury the things a dead person liked most with his or her coffin. It only goes to prove that Honey was the darling of the palate in ancient Egypt also.

I have made you to travel a long distance. Let me stop hear. Best wishes T.S.Sundaram.
ystan
Posted 2007-01-23 12:20 PM (#75053 - in reply to #75039)

Thanks Cindy for the advice! The other tips I read on bees is if there is one bee circling me, I should stay very still so I don't agitate it, it will fly away after finding nothing sweet about me; and if there is a swarm of bees, cover my head & run for my life towards a dark place, as bees apparently can't see well in darkness, and if I can run fast for about 50m, I should outrun/outfly the bees...J  Namaste

Yashodha
Posted 2007-01-23 11:12 PM (#75090 - in reply to #75041)

tssundaram_80 - 2007-01-22 3:49 AM

To all friends including Yashodha:-

Judamom has the knack of pulling out something out of her treasure, this time a good topic on Honey and that has set every body in motion and buzzing like bees. Every one wrote some good things about sweet honey .

Cyndi took all pains to feed us with a lot of information about Bee keeping, Bees, Beehives in her interesting write up. I knew cyndi's attachment towards bees and honey . She had once, months back, told me that she entirely depended on her bee culture for her quota of Honey. Every body cannot have that luxuary.

Ystan liked cyndi's write up on honey very much.

Yashoda's view that, too much of honey is very bad, I also fully endorse. Anything for that matter in excess is very bad. Yasoda's recipe for reducing weight using honey and lemon juice, I myself have tried a few years back. It has certainly contributed positively to my weight loss along with other daily routines programmes. A small bottle of honey should always be in one's kitchen shelf.

One of the best properties of good honey is that its quality does not deteriorate with time. On the other hand , its quality improves with passage of time. No wonder people like to preserve it.

An interesting story on honey is worth mentioning here. A few years back a casket was unearthed from one of the Mummies that are buried in the Pyramids in Egypt. Among other things found in that casket was an earthern jar full of honey. And even after more than three thousand five hundred years the honey was tasteful, sweet and nutritious. It was custom in ancient Egypt to bury the things a dead person liked most with his or her coffin. It only goes to prove that Honey was the darling of the palate in ancient Egypt also.

I have made you to travel a long distance. Let me stop hear. Best wishes T.S.Sundaram.

Thanks for the Summary.. Im quite new to the forum and Have no understanding whats going on some times.. But I just play it free...

Too much heney creates constipation .. But if you have a very good intake of watter every day you may be able to get over with it..

Cyndi, you are correct about Indians and Nepalis using lots of honey… But those natives are buying honey from supermarkets now

BTW.. Girls.. This is a very good ( I have experienced ) recipe for your Skin to glow , which I tried in a SPA at Pathaya ( Thailand)

1. Egg York
2. 2 tea spoons of Bee honey
3. 2 tea spoons of Olive oil

After a bath ( when bathing you can use some herbs to scrub the body , they used sea salt I think ) wipe your body properly.. mix all these ingredients together very well and massage your body with that.. stay with that for 10 minutes. Just wash it off using normal water and wipe your body

Your skin starts glowing and I was amazed by results… It will be there for 1 -2 days.. Don’t worry this mixtures is not stinking .. Only problem is that after I came home I tried to do this by myself .. but it becomes the bathroom messy.. :-(

Edited by Yashodha 2007-01-23 11:14 PM
ystan
Posted 2007-01-24 12:42 AM (#75093 - in reply to #75090)

Yashodha, welcome, and thank you for your recipe for the skin! You rightly pointed out the olive oil does make the shower room messy and slippery, and may post a hazard, so it is safer to get a SPA treatment instead of doing it at home.

You have reminded me I have some old stock of Royal Jelly (paste form) in freezer, which is over its shelf life. Once in a blue moon I take a bit and apply on my face, wash off with water after 5-10 minutes, my skin felt refreshed and firmed after that. Now I should add some honey to the paste, and make an effort to do it more frequently. I have oily skin, I think I can do away with olive oil. 

Can you give a short introduction about yourself?

Honey is so good, it is no wonder we call our love ones Honey! Namaste

Yashodha
Posted 2007-01-24 1:29 AM (#75095 - in reply to #75093)

ystan - 2007-01-23 5:42 PM

Honey is so good, it is no wonder we call our love ones Honey!

Cookies are good so you call them Cookie ????

What did the bee say to the flower?
Hello honey! !!!!

Edited by Yashodha 2007-01-24 1:42 AM
zzzuluwarrior
Posted 2007-01-24 3:28 AM (#75096 - in reply to #75095)

Hi everyone
Love this honey discussion.
I was recently told by an ayurvedic herbalist that honey "scrapes" fat, therefore it is good for losing weight, or rather, losing fat.

Also, anyone knows why by ayurveda, one's not supposed to boil honey? That always puzzles me and so far, I have not found an answer.

Keep well and namste

zzzulu
Yashodha
Posted 2007-01-24 4:28 AM (#75097 - in reply to #75096)

zzzuluwarrior - 2007-01-23 8:28 PM

Also, anyone knows why by ayurveda, one's not supposed to boil honey? That always puzzles me and so far, I have not found an answer.

zzzulu

Don't boil honey or you will destroy much of the nutrition and the flavor. For the same reason, don't buy it in the grocery because that has no doubt been processed. Look for raw local honey from the beekeepers ( Like Cyndi :-) ) or at health food stores or produce stands.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-01-24 10:15 AM (#75112 - in reply to #75097)

Expert Yogi

Yashoda,

In Nepal, there are still "real" beekeepers.  I know this because of my husband being Nepalis, and I just received some Nepalis honey from my friend's Grandmother...who keeps bees in the countryside.  Another friend has bees in the walls of his house, which in their culture, they consider that to be very lucky.

tssundaram_80
Posted 2007-01-24 12:15 PM (#75124 - in reply to #72290)

To all Honey lovers:-

In English language there are certain words using the word "Honey". Here are a few:-

1). Honey Madness:- There is a rhododendron about Trebizond, the flowers of which the bees are fond of, but if anyone eats the honey he becomes mad.

2). Honey Soap:- contains no portion of honey. Some made from the finest yellow soap; and some is a mixture of palm-oil soap, olive- soap, and curd -soap. It is scented with oil of verbena, rose-geramium, ginger grass, bergamot, etc.

3). Honeycomb:- The hexagonal shape of the bees' cells is generally ascribed to instinctive skill of the bee, but is said to be simply the ordinary result of mechanical laws. Solitary bees always make circular cells. and without doubt those of hive bees are made cylindrical, but acquire their hexagonal form by mechanical pressure. Dr. Wollaston says that all cylinders made of soft pliable materials become hexagonal under such circumstances.

4). Honeydew:- A sweet substance found on lime-trees and some other plants. Bees and ants are fond of it. It is a curious misnomer, as it is the excretion of the aphis or vine-fretter. The way it is excreted is this: the ant beats with its antennae the abdomen of the aphis, which lifts up the part beaten, and excretes a limpid drop of sweet juice called honey dew.

5). Honeymoon:- The month after marriage, or so much of it as is spent away from home; So called from the practice of the ancient Teutons of drinking honey-wine for thirth days after marriage. Attila, the Hun, indulged so freely in hydromel at his wedding-feast that he died.

6). Honeywood:- A yea-nay type, illustrative of what Dr. Young says: " What is mere good naturebut a fool? " (Goldsmith: The Good-natured Man ). ( Copied ) T.S.Sundaram.
Yashodha
Posted 2007-01-24 10:05 PM (#75162 - in reply to #75124)

tssundaram_80 - 2007-01-23 5:15 AM

To all Honey lovers:-

In English language there are certain words using the word "Honey". Here are a few:-

1). Honey Madness:- There is a rhododendron about Trebizond, the flowers of which the bees are fond of, but if anyone eats the honey he becomes mad.

2). Honey Soap:- contains no portion of honey. Some made from the finest yellow soap; and some is a mixture of palm-oil soap, olive- soap, and curd -soap. It is scented with oil of verbena, rose-geramium, ginger grass, bergamot, etc.

3). Honeycomb:- The hexagonal shape of the bees' cells is generally ascribed to instinctive skill of the bee, but is said to be simply the ordinary result of mechanical laws. Solitary bees always make circular cells. and without doubt those of hive bees are made cylindrical, but acquire their hexagonal form by mechanical pressure. Dr. Wollaston says that all cylinders made of soft pliable materials become hexagonal under such circumstances.

4). Honeydew:- A sweet substance found on lime-trees and some other plants. Bees and ants are fond of it. It is a curious misnomer, as it is the excretion of the aphis or vine-fretter. The way it is excreted is this: the ant beats with its antennae the abdomen of the aphis, which lifts up the part beaten, and excretes a limpid drop of sweet juice called honey dew.

5). Honeymoon:- The month after marriage, or so much of it as is spent away from home; So called from the practice of the ancient Teutons of drinking honey-wine for thirth days after marriage. Attila, the Hun, indulged so freely in hydromel at his wedding-feast that he died.

6). Honeywood:- A yea-nay type, illustrative of what Dr. Young says: " What is mere good naturebut a fool? " (Goldsmith: The Good-natured Man ). ( Copied ) T.S.Sundaram.

Ah you missed one.,... there is something called “ Honey Syndrome “ too
tssundaram_80
Posted 2007-01-25 4:52 AM (#75184 - in reply to #72290)

Yashodha and Cyndi:-

Thank you very much Yashoda, for your addendum to my list on Honey words.

Cyndi had made a mention in her post 75112, that "Bees in the walls of the house are considered lucky" by some people. I have also heard many people saying in my Native place down South India, that if a swarm of bees in trying to find a colony to settle and to start collectng honey, choses your wall or ceiling or roof of your house or an adgecent tree in your compoud. it is a good omen and the family should consider themselves as lucky. Even though the hazard of bee sting will be there porticularly on children who try to meddle with it, the family never drive them away and make use of them for their honey. When once they find sufficient quantity of honey are there, they drive them away without killing not even a single bee, by spreading smoke from burning twigs and leaves near their colony, when all the bees fly away to another locaation because of the smoke. From T.S.Sundaram.
Yashodha
Posted 2007-01-25 5:25 AM (#75186 - in reply to #75184)

tssundaram_80 - 2007-01-24 9:52 PM

Yashodha and Cyndi:-

Thank you very much Yashoda, for your addendum to my list on Honey words.

Cyndi had made a mention in her post 75112, that "Bees in the walls of the house are considered lucky" by some people.

Yeah true .. Because these people know how expensive bee honey is...and then they know that they get it FOC....

Few years ago my father put my old Study table out side the home and after few months there were bees making a hive.. I didnt consider myself lucky at that time because I couldnt walk in to that area without fear of them hurting me... And I hated their humming noice.. And didnt know the price of honey too :-)

Edited by Yashodha 2007-01-25 5:30 AM
tssundaram_80
Posted 2007-01-25 6:05 AM (#75187 - in reply to #72290)

zzzuluwarrior:- Thanks for your post 75096.

Yashodha has provided you with an answer for your query on boiling Honey. My question to you is, why boil honey? What for?.

Where are you speaking from zzzulu? How are you keeping? You cannot forget us so easily and so soon. I am sure. You must be very busy. On what? Can I share some ?. Please favour us with news about your enjoyment of health, yoga practice, and your three close pet companions.
I have half a mind to send similar questionnaire to my beloved Judamom, bstqltmkr and ystan also. Please resume participation in this column.

Best wishes to all. T.S,Sundaram.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 5 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)