YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The Friendship Continues
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 6 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

Yashodha
Posted 2007-01-25 6:18 AM (#75188 - in reply to #75187)
Subject: RE: The Friendship Continues

tssundaram_80 - 2007-01-24 11:05 PM

zzzuluwarrior:- Thanks for your post 75096.

Yashodha has provided you with an answer for your query on boiling Honey. My question to you is, why boil honey? What for?.

Ayyiiiyooooo,, Havent you read recipes ????? Ok ok read this exapmple :

"Bring bee honey, brown sugar and salt to a boil over medium heat; stir until sugar is dissolved. Boil without stirring for 2 minutes. "

All Indian men are like this :-) dont know anything about Cooking ..... That why Indian girls love to marry foreigners I think

hey hey just kidding :-)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
judamom
Posted 2007-01-25 6:36 AM (#75190 - in reply to #72290)

TSSundaram, I think I said this earlier but in case I did not, I started taking piano lessons and in order to take complete advantage of the expense I must practice at least one hour per day and preferrably two. Time I used to save for computer is now needed at the piano. I will check in quickly to see how you are all doing but many times have nothing to say---probably a blessing in disquise. I will always be wishing everyone well even in silence......the same as ZZZulu does, I imagine. Isn't that the joy of friendship? Sharing when possible but still sending love when not? So good to have you back and chipper as can be! I love it when I see your name at "the friendship continues". Namaste Judamom
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-01-25 7:40 AM (#75192 - in reply to #72290)

I'm happy to read all the posts today, but can you believe I have nothing to say? I'm wracking my brain, but alas, no words. I can tell you that I'm doing fine, a little busy this past week, but it 's going good, I haven't been frantic. I'm hoping I'm over franticness. I doubt it, but for now I'm enjoying it. I might not be online for a few days, I'm having trouble with my computer, I'll be sure to check in when I get a chance. Namaste. Shelly
ystan
Posted 2007-01-25 7:56 AM (#75193 - in reply to #75187)

Dear friends, this 80+ year-old sugar-honey-sir has more enthusiasm and energies than all of us put together!

Cindy the nature-lover beekeeper, how many bees are there in an average beehive? Also, does bees get sick? And, do they die in their hives?

Be sweet, Namaste

tssundaram_80
Posted 2007-01-25 10:10 AM (#75208 - in reply to #72290)

Ayyiiiyooooo,, Havent you read recipes ????? Ok ok read this exapmple :

"Bring bee honey, brown sugar and salt to a boil over medium heat; stir until sugar is dissolved. Boil without stirring for 2 minutes. "

All Indian men are like this :-) dont know anything about Cooking ..... That why Indian girls love to marry foreigners I think
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To all, Yashodha included:- I am surprised how I have missed the recipes on honey as mentioned in the message reproduced above. Thanks for waking me up.

I have liked and enjoyed the last two lines of the above message about Cooking. This is really what is called as Humour and this has produced laughter in me. Laughter is one of the greatest gifts that God has given to men and women. We are the only creatures who can laugh and who have a sense of humour. It keeps we people happy and healthy.

Simple oft -quoted quotations like "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy", "A belly laugh a day keeps the Doctor away" comes to my mind when talking of humour and laughter. A belly laugh has high therapeutic effect.

I shall conclude with these few words now , but shall--all of us--bring this topic to the forum for discussion on the playful effects of Humour and the therapeutic effects of laughter shortly. All are requested to contribute their experiences, views, etc,. liberally in this column . Thanks for your patience. T.S.Sundaram.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-01-25 10:59 AM (#75219 - in reply to #75193)

Expert Yogi

Hey Guys, The smoke and bees.  The smoke actually masks the pheromone alarm that bees produce when their hive is being disturbed.  Which in turn allows the beekeeper to go into the hive with greater ease, because this alarm is what sends the message to the bees to attack and destroy the predator.  Bees will not only sting you.  Sometimes I have to wear very thick gloves because the heat that the bees produce is very hot and is worse than the sting itself.  When predators get inside the colony, say a yellow jacket or sometimes small mice, they don't stand a chance. 

Ystan,  How many bees in a colony??....THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS.  Last summer I had a swarm of bees in my bee yard. It's amazing to watch.  I'll post a picture below of a tree limb that is covered in bees so you can get an idea.  We think this was a swarm from another beekeeper down the road trying to find a way into my bee yard.  I was thinking about retreiving these bees from the tree, but it was over 60 feet high.  I don't like to climb that high. 

Yes, bees do get sick.  They can get dysentary, they can get Foulbrood, they can get trachael mites and varoa mites which will wipe out an entire colony if not monitored and treated properly.  They also are subjected to Small Hive Beetles which can take over weak colonies.  Yes, there is such a thing as a 'dead out', where the colony basically dies for whatever reason that is going on.  Sometimes the entire colony can leave the hive, or they can do small swarms which are natural for bees because this is how they manage their population.  For instance, if a beehive gets too many bees, they will make a virgin queen, then the old queen leaves with some bees leaving the virgin queen behind.  That is why being a beekeeper, it is important to manage your bees.  This is how you produce honey and maintain your hives.  It's not that difficult if you like bees and understand what needs to be done.  In the wild, it is very hard for bees to survive.  Their life span is much shorter.  Mostly due to environmental causes, from pesticide spraying and lack of areas to nest in, which is why honeybees find old homes or in the case of India/Nepal, in walls of homes.  That happens very frequently here in the states too.  That is a beekeepers dream,

(A Swarm of Bees #1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments A Swarm of Bees #1.JPG (72KB - 63 downloads)
tssundaram_80
Posted 2007-01-25 11:39 AM (#75222 - in reply to #72290)

judamom:- Your mail 75096:-You had mentioned in one of your messages that you have started learning Piano, which is drawing quite some precious time of yours. I completely forgot about the same and started wondering as to what has happened to Judamom. Thank you for your spontaneous reply. I wish you all the best in your endeavour . There is no age limit for learning and I appreciate your sportsmanlike approach and attitude. Others of your age, including myself should emulate your example. Wish you once again all the best. T.S.Sundaram.
tssundaram_80
Posted 2007-01-25 12:03 PM (#75224 - in reply to #72290)

bstqltmkr:-
I have seen your message 75192:-

Glad to know that you are reading all our posts. I will never believe that you are short of words and you have nothing up in your sleeves to say. Your past mails were wonderful to read. I hope you are busy with your hobby. Hope you are keeping well and maintaining good health offered by yoga practice.

My computer also is at times giving some trouble or other, and I cannot now think of replacing this lady with a new one, because of the fairly good amount I have spent on my eye operation. Do come to the forum with a few words, as and when you get time. It will be a pleasure for us to see you in words and letters in this forum.

While on this, I would like to tell you that I am recovering from the eye operation. I am sending these messages only on getting the green signal from my doctor.

Best wishes to you. T.S.sundaram.
Yashodha
Posted 2007-01-25 10:55 PM (#75306 - in reply to #75208)

Oh thanks tssungaram for taking it as a joke.. If I knew you are 80 years old I should have been more careful :-)

Should Respect Elders Right !!!

energy of your posts never gave me the feeling of your age.. ! My previous Yoga teacher was 80 Years old and She was also like that.. Really respect her !! for her good qualities.. and wisdom

Its great to know you !!!!!

But its still true about Indian men anyway

Edited by Yashodha 2007-01-25 10:56 PM
tssundaram_80
Posted 2007-01-25 11:55 PM (#75308 - in reply to #72290)

Yashodha:- Your post 75306. Both the date 2007-01-26 and the time of destatch 7.55 AM of your mail under reply , suggest that you are not far away from the place where both my computer and internet connections are.. I may be wrong. If so please correct me with details, if you have no reservations.

As regards a reply to your mail , I shall do it soon. Anyway, I have enjoyed everything of what you have written of me in your mail, particularly the last sentence once again. God bless you. T.S.Sundaram.
ystan
Posted 2007-01-26 2:57 AM (#75317 - in reply to #75219)

Cindy, have I made you very busy counting the number of bees in the beehives?  Jokes aside, thank you very much for your firsthand information on beekeeping; while I am one where a bee is enough to disturb me, you live with Thousands of bees in peace and harmony (I bet you don't quarrell with the bees), and that is amazing . Namaste

Cyndi
Posted 2007-01-26 10:17 AM (#75331 - in reply to #75317)

Expert Yogi

Good Morning Ystan,

I lost track of the count after about 300....it's too much work cause everybody looks the same and unfortunately, I was probably counting double, maybe even triple,

No, never quarrell with the bees.  

One more thing about what to do around bees.  First of all, when bees are swarming, they will not sting you.  They have something different on their minds.  I tell people to just stand very still, do not move when they are being approached by a swarm of bees or happen to walk up in the midst of a swarm.  This is really the best way. NEVER swat at bees, any bee.  Don't drink you chai with honey while standing outside near beehives or bees' nests.  They will want some too, trust me  

Also, when in nature, don't wear nice perfume and/or essential oil blends, as that will always get their attention...they will think you are a flower with nectar in it.  Just remember that honey bees are very good for our environment, so please do not spray ugly pesticides, because they can carry it back to the hive and kill everyone.  If you see honeybees in your backyard pool or in your hummingbird feeder, don't worry they won't stay long, they just like your place and need a drink of water.

ystan
Posted 2007-01-26 11:10 AM (#75339 - in reply to #75331)

Dear Cindy, I had thought with 1 bee I stay still, but with a swarm of bees I should run for my life, and 50m is all I need to run, as bees cannot fly too far, they have little stamina!! Let's imagine a swarm of bees coming my way..and I stay still.. and one bee decides to "kiss" me.. and I  ...that would not be a nice picture!  On another thought, I can go into savasana, still and motionless, is this a better alternative?  Namaste

tourist
Posted 2007-01-26 6:55 PM (#75384 - in reply to #75339)

Expert Yogi

As we are on page 10, it would be a good time to think of a new title for the next thread - or maybe the same title with II attached?
tssundaram_80
Posted 2007-01-28 10:30 AM (#75481 - in reply to #72290)

Cyndi:- In one of your earlier posts in this forum, I have seen your making a reference to Methi or Fenugreek tea. May I know as to how this tea is prepared please?. I am a regular user of Methi as seeds as well as, as leaves in fairly good quantities. As you might know, fenugreek contains a lot of iron and calcium apart from other essentials such as Lecithin and high content of Vitamins. Excellant for diabetics. Hope to hear from you. Thanks. T.S.Sundaram.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-01-28 3:15 PM (#75511 - in reply to #75481)

Expert Yogi

Good Afternoon Tssundaram,

Your asking me how to make Methi Tea???  I'm so surprised.  This is what I use at the very beginning of a cold/or flu (it will make you sweat when a fever is present) or when my joints are sore from doing too much Hot Bikram Yoga,   Methi is also good for dysentary and is good for women who are feeding babies breast milk, it purifies the milk and strengthens a woman after giving childbirth.

There are a couple of ways to do this. You can simply steep several Methi seeds in Boiling Water, then drink as a tea.  Or you can dry out the seeds and leaves, then make a powder, using a Mortar.  Then make tea out of the powder.  We use Methi in most of our cooking vegetable dishes, especially when cooking green leafy vegetables.

Another interesting aspect of Methi is that it is capable of repelling insects.  In your country it is fed to cows and horses.  I wonder if I can try it on my horse this summer if the flies get bad??

bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-01-28 6:13 PM (#75536 - in reply to #72290)

I'm back I think. Everything seems to be working out okay. It was kind of weird when I got back here, it seems I've been logged in for days. Oops, I suppose that could get annoying, I couldn't seem to help it though. I had some honey with my chamomile tea the other day, very yummy. And I slept well that night.

I haven't had any time for practice the last two days, and I'm really missing it. If I can't get in a good practice before lunch, lately it seems it just won't happen. I can get myself to do a few things later on, but not get a full practice in. So, tomorrow for sure it will have to happen. It will be a relief. Hope everyone is doing well, Shelly
tssundaram_80
Posted 2007-01-29 8:14 AM (#75602 - in reply to #72290)

bstqltmkr:-

Glad to see you in the forum with your mail of 29th, today's date. Hope you must have had a full practice and enjoyed it too. Best Regards. T.S.Sundaram.
tssundaram_80
Posted 2007-01-29 8:23 AM (#75605 - in reply to #72290)

judamom:-

I know you are busy with your piano lessons. We met last, on 26th inst with your mail # 75190. Hope every thing is fine at your end. Time flies and January 2007 is getting over. Best Regards.
T. S. Sundaram.
zzzuluwarrior
Posted 2007-01-29 9:28 AM (#75627 - in reply to #75605)
Subject: asanas and dosha

Hi All
i have been preparing for a move. That took time and forces me to get organized, not a strong trait of mine. Hence the absence. It's so wonderful really all your posts and learning so much about honey and bees.

Yoga practice has been put aside, i am embarassed to admit.

Recently I read something about different asanas for different doshas. Anyone know something about this? Would love to learn more if anyone care to share.

Namaste

zzzulu
tssundaram_80
Posted 2007-01-29 10:45 AM (#75642 - in reply to #72290)

zzzuluwarrior:-

Nice to see you and hear your voice after a very very long time.I hope every thing has gone off well with you all these days. Your putting aside Asanas may not be without reason. For a temporary period,I suppose.

Ayurveda branch of medical treatments are based on Three Doshas, Vatha, pitha and Kapha. English translation of these doshas and other details , if I am able to get I shall let you know.

Please be marking your attendance by a one line mail once in a way. Best Wishes. T.S.Sundaram.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-01-29 11:33 AM (#75654 - in reply to #72290)

I have to agree Tssundaram, it is so good to be hearing from everyone. Today I returned to my mat for an excellent practice session, which was like a return to the living. I feel awesome now, strong and prepared for life. I wonder what is going on in my mind when I don't make it a priority. Of course I've been through unmotivated times, I'm sure I will again, but I have to keep this feeling in my mind to get me going through those times.

I have to ask, is it just me, or does it just sound wrong for a vegetarian to say they're craving a good pigeon? Today I can see beauty all around, Shelly
judamom
Posted 2007-02-04 6:37 AM (#76301 - in reply to #75605)

TSSundaram--not only the piano lessons but I had company for a week. I took him to the airport yesterday and intend to get back to normal. We had so much good conversation, I loved the visit. This is a friend with the same approach to life as my own so it is always very good to spend some time together. Piano lessons are going well also. As I have spent five years teaching myself this has added a "push" to practice more and thus move at a faster pace. The more I advance, the better I play and the more enjoyable it becomes. I love classical music, and sitting down to play for myself is very enjoyable. Now I will get back to my normal routine with diet and exercise.......it is always good to get a "shake up" once in awhile by a breaking of routine, for me. It causes me to reexamine why I do things the way I do.......is it habitual living or purposeful living. I will have to give it more thought. All friends, I hope everyone is healthy and happy. Namaste Judamom
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 6 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)