YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Traveling to Thailand
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Massage -> General MassageMessage format

Ravi
Posted 2006-12-19 6:51 PM (#72010)
Subject: Traveling to Thailand

Om Namah Sivaya,

I will be traveling to Thailand this coming June to partake in the Thai Massage Internship sponsered by the Thai Massage school of Chiang Mai.

I humbly admit that while I may be a seasoned traveler here in the USA, the only time I have ever left the country is to travel through Canada as a shortcut via Chicago.

Has anyone ever traveled to Thailand? Attended the school that I have been excepted to? Ever been to Chiang Mai?

If you have answered yes to any of the following questions I would greatly appreciate any words of advice or words of wisdom.

Om Shanti,
Ravi
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-12-20 10:33 AM (#72034 - in reply to #72010)
Subject: RE: Traveling to Thailand

my thai massage teachers study and work through that school. i'll try to get some information for you. it's so exciting that you get to go there!

i can't wait until i go. i'm hoping to go next year (well, late 07 or 0.
Ravi
Posted 2006-12-20 10:49 AM (#72038 - in reply to #72010)

you are the shizzle zoebird, anything you could give for advice and info. would be fantastic.

In fact reading the Touch of Asia website was what interested my in going to Thailand....... crazy thing is, is that i sent an email out last night to all of the members of my TTC who I haven't spoken to in ages and two of them are currently in Thailand. One is in Bangkok on business as he is a professor in S.D. and the other is actually in Chiang Mai studying massage also. How ironic and wierd.
I know for sure which path I am going now............... it is too evident.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Om Shanti,
Ravi

Edited by Ravi 2006-12-20 10:54 AM

Posted 2006-12-20 11:07 AM (#72042 - in reply to #72010)

sounds like you already know someone there! that's cool.
Ravi
Posted 2006-12-20 3:01 PM (#72064 - in reply to #72010)

The universe works in such strange ways................ I originally thought that posting here first would spark more insight at first....... secondary I sent the email to my friends from the TTC. Who would of known that someone would be sitting right in the same city i plan on traveling to.

Posted 2006-12-26 12:37 AM (#72245 - in reply to #72010)

I know a teacher who is in Chaing Mai now, he has made a few blog posts that might be interesting.
http://chapellethailand.blogspot.com/

Posted 2006-12-26 10:17 AM (#72264 - in reply to #72010)

Namaste Ravi,

This is off of the subject, but one of my friends in my yoga training traveled in Thailand and had a blast. She was amazed by these elephants and their drawings, not the ones you see here, but real sketches! One elephant drew a vase with flowers, another one drew another elephant and the other elephant had other things on his mind and drew two elephants doing the wild thing! I saw these pictures and could not believe the detail, etc. Anyway, I was dumbstruck--especially by the last elephants sketch--at least he or she know how to do it right!

Namaste2
Cyndi
Posted 2006-12-28 10:39 PM (#72394 - in reply to #72264)

Expert Yogi

Namaste,

Those elephants are really cool aren't they? There is a Thai lady who owns a restaurant in Chattanooga, TN that sells those elephant paintings in her place. They are so very cool. She had over 30 different paintings. I couldn't believe it. Satyam and I love the elephants. I can't wait to see them living in the wild when we go to Nepal.

Posted 2006-12-29 12:33 AM (#72398 - in reply to #72010)

some of those thai elephant paintings profits go to charitable organizations that provide medical care for the family elephants who have now relocated to cities (they are so dedicated to their elephants that they also move to the cities with the families), or to provide sanctuary for both wild and domesticated animals who may have lost their family. i'll look for a couple of links to related charitable organizations.

Posted 2006-12-29 9:23 AM (#72408 - in reply to #72398)

From the pictures, the elephants looked good and not mistreated. I am glad they are respected and given refuge. They are remarkabe creatures, a blessing from God. I like the look of the African elephants with their big floppy ears, better to swat insects away.

Edited by namaste2 2006-12-29 9:23 AM
Ravi
Posted 2006-12-29 11:07 AM (#72420 - in reply to #72010)

Om,

I haven't yet ever seen such a thing but am eager to do so. That has to be pretty amazing thing to see, I know that they are pretty smart animals........ memory of an elephant as they say.

Om Shanti,
Ravi

Posted 2006-12-29 2:54 PM (#72437 - in reply to #72010)

in thailand, an elephant is a member of the family. by in large, it's abhorrent to harm a family member! so, most of them are *very* much loved and well cared for.

the problem that is facing cities right now is that people are coming form the countryside to find work, and bringing their 'whole' family with them. in the rural areas, elephants can rummage for food as well as are fed by the family. in the city, this is not so. And, living in the city has it's dangers.

these poor families can't afford the medical care needed for their elephants when something does arise (like accidently getting hit by a tram or getting an eye infection from living in the crowded, dirty conditions of the city slums). it's not that they don't love their elephants--just that they can't afford the care of them.

so the thai government and nonprofit organizations stepped in to help these families. for them, it's no different than helping them pay for medical care for an elder or a child. so, it's a good thing. it helps keep the elephants and the families safe and happy.

(and yes, they're also trying to combat the poverty issue, the flight to the city issue, and a myriad of others).

Posted 2006-12-30 9:19 AM (#72473 - in reply to #72437)

Thanks for the info, ZB. It is again nice to know the elephants are treated well by the families and the government. I wish the world felt that way about the elephant-especially in Africa where they are killed for the ivory, $$, and carcass is left to rot. I guess this is similar to the "white man" killing the buffalo for their hide and leaving the rest to rot. At least the American Indians used all of the animal. Just another point of view...

Ravi, have a great time! My sister went to Thailand and loved it. I have always wanted to travel there. I always think of the story Anna and the king of Siam. I have read the book and seen the movies. The book is much better.

Edited by namaste2 2006-12-30 9:22 AM

Posted 2007-01-06 10:44 PM (#73101 - in reply to #72010)

here's an opporutnity that my teacher and my school (lineage) in thai massage sent me. Pierce started an organization that offers grants to individuals doing community service in thailand.

so, while you're there, if you have the opportunity, well, here's a link: http://www.shivago.org/shivago-fund.html
Ravi
Posted 2007-01-09 8:02 PM (#73462 - in reply to #72010)

Thank you Zoe... I will look into it deeper.......

I get so excited with the passing of each day, because it is a day nearer to my departure to Thailand.....
SCThornley
Posted 2007-01-10 5:29 AM (#73506 - in reply to #72010)

my father, mother, sister, brother-in-law and two nephews have travelled in Thailand.

Don't drink the water, and be careful about the food you decide to eat.

Stay clean, don't bring home an infection.

Good Luck.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)